Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:19 am 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
What times….

some were the best of them…others were often
the worst…of them…!

there was word we were going to be stripped of our
picks…”surely NOT” i thought…that’s un-HEARD of…!

I’d left for work early…driving from Berwick to Edithvale
to open my flower shop…opposite the railway
station there…beach side…!

driving down Thompsons rd I’m thinking…gee nothing
on the radio…looks like everything’s going to be ALLL-right…
welcome to Carlton Brendon and Daniel…!

as I’m approaching Patterson Lakes…driving past the
sewerage treatment plant…I’m pretty up beat…
even the fine “aroma of the people” wasn’t going to
get me down…!

as i drive over the Frankston freeway…i begin my
right hand turn to head North towards Springvale rd…!

right on the bend there was a news break…not sure
what happened…but all my brain remembers
hearing was…”losing their picks having been found
guilty”…!

i lost my mind…couldn’t wait to get to the shop to
set up the radio properly…!

fast forward to mid 2003…and my band buddies
decided i needed a pewta…if I’m running a business…
i need a website…!

so they bought me a years subscription of broadband…
how nice of them…about 700 squid…full dial up stuff…!

i don’t know how it happened…NO idea how i found it…
but next thing i know…it’s TBV…!

what joy…my people…!

and like Charles…i didn’t have anything at home…so if
there was a breakdown…or i got desperate…I discovered
the Internet cafe…weren’t they wonderful…
speaking of…”aroma of the people”…!

i remember meeting folk from here early doors…
and many of my friends would call me out…”ya going to
meet your internet geek buddies hey”…?

we wouldn’t have it any other way would we…!

Jeezus , a flower shop across the road from the Edi Station. That would be right near the Lady Jane Bakery . Nothing could compare with there stuff . Did you get your car fixed at Edi Motors ? Patrioti Grumpy George has retired and now his son " The Great One " Michael has taken over .Now hears a great trivia question for you Tom . Who was the StKilda player holding the ball at the SCG when the Pig ran onto the ground ? yep , it was none other than Grumpy George's nephew Lee Capsalis who just happened to play his one and only AFL game that day . Another trivia question for you Tom . Do you remember that super fit old cover who used to run past your shop on a daily basis ? you guessed it Tom , it was me . Still trundling buddy at Cliffy Young pace .

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Pretty sure I was an early adopter on TBV. I definitely remember being logged in at an internet cafe in Yorkshire for about 6 hours on Black Friday, just refreshing and grieving. Weirdly specific, but I also remember that instead of a 'general' tv shows thread there was one just for Buffy and I spent a lot of time in there. Good times.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 am 
Wayne Johnston

My story is a bit like GWS, I was living in Sydney and starved of news but I was desperate to make sense of what happened on “D-Day”, so I found TBV the day after and was hooked, it was a real “us vs them” vibe.

TBV became my main source of footy news. Easy for me to find once I started looking as I work in IT and was on the internet at work and at home.

I was sinbagger because I was a “blue bagger in Sydney”, and there was already this guys called Synbad.

I totally missed the TBV meltdown and I wandered around the wasteland of TBV for a few weeks wondering where everyone had gone before I found TC.

TC was great for me when I moved so Singapore as I could find details of all the illegal match streams here, in those days the on,y legal way to see a match was if the Australian Network channel chose to broadcast it. I was happy to pay but there was no option until watchafl came along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:39 am 
Bruce Doull

Did you move to Singapore just so that the spelling of your name would finally make sense? :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:50 pm 
Wayne Johnston

CK95 wrote:
Did you move to Singapore just so that the spelling of your name would finally make sense? :grin:

Hah! Actually I meant to say “sinbagger” stands for “Sin-city bluebagger”, which means “Sydney bluebagger”. Which is a tenuous connection.

…but yes it all worked out with the move to Singapore (which is also another “sin-city”, but that’s another story)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hey Micksta….

i took my old Nissan Urvan to George a
couple of times…he was funny…!

I imagine The Chief running a business
exactly the same…!

my shop was next door to that second hand
tool shop that was there…just up from the
fish n chip shop…!

Greek family in there too…i remember the
two brothers helping mum and dad on
Friday nights and summer weekends…!

you probably ran through a waft of smoke
out the front…i used to sit on the bluestone
garden beds for a ciggy…!

i was only there from around 01 to 05…
%#@&ing money pit…!

worst business decision I’ve ever…ooh wait
a minute…there was the Herbalife period…!

opening a Dental Laboratory was pretty stupid
too..especially renting an old medical practice
for no real reason…!

i ended up moving everything home after two
years…exactly the same…without the extra “mortgage”
so to speak…!

kindest regards tommi

STOO-PID business decisions…there’s another
thread for one day…!

not now…I’ve got physio coming over soon…!

plus i can’t be %#@&ed…!

now you can see why none of my businesses
worked out…!

clearly…!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

You had a go Tom . Not tryin" is worse than failin" .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pag ... dul09.html

According to the date on the story above it’s 20 years and one day since I joined TBV. I joined the day we signed Pagan.

Oh, talking of don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining… at the time I thought I expressed my disappointment at Elliott’s last-ditch move to save his career. But I’ve since been unreliably informed by Syd that he was the only person in the world to be against the signing of Pagan and the rest of us were all on board and totally committed to Denis.

Unsurprisingly a lot has changed in 20 years and a lot has stayed the same.

Change = divorce and the after life, haha. Things are really good “away from footy” now, which is, in part, why I’m so infrequent on here.

No change = I just got tired of butting heads with the same people all the time. And disillusioned with the varying political views. Fifteen+ years took its toll. I’m getting older and less willing to be cranky, so less TC time seems to help with that, sadly.

But thanks to CK for this thread. It’s a ripper. And has brought back some great memories. You’re very good like that. :beer:

Sadly, though, TC needs new life on the admin side. I’m clearly not doing anything to keep the site running well, so if there’s anyone willing, please… speak up!

Or maybe I could just ban the people I don’t like and come back. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:05 pm 
Robert Walls

I was definitely on TBV - I clearly remember the ranting about black Friday.

The highlights are many over the years but the GarthP stuff stands out - those were golden days of banter and sledging.

A few opposition highlights - Mandy of course and always liked and respected Sedat's posts - he was my first thought when the dogs won the flag in 2016. There was also a dees supporter - something 56 maybe who I thought was good value.

and I still miss Fevolution every post season

Thanks to everyone who makes this WA based bloke happy on a daily basis - it's just the feeling that we're part of something fantastic that is the Carlton Football Club!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluebo baggers wrote:
I was definitely on TBV - I clearly remember the ranting about black Friday.

The highlights are many over the years but the GarthP stuff stands out - those were golden days of banter and sledging.

A few opposition highlights - Mandy of course and always liked and respected Sedat's posts - he was my first thought when the dogs won the flag in 2016. There was also a dees supporter - something 56 maybe who I thought was good value.

and I still miss Fevolution every post season

Thanks to everyone who makes this WA based bloke happy on a daily basis - it's just the feeling that we're part of something fantastic that is the Carlton Football Club!

Good post! The guy you're thinking of was Old55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

5 th Feb 2005 . I just checked when i signed . The Blue View it was . Yeah , it was a friday afternoon and my son and i went up to Princes Park to watch our first pre season pricey match . Cant remember whether we won or lost but i know there was a huge crowd there . Anyhow , was just in front of the social club and got talking to a bloke . Some bloke , didn't know who at the time . Very knowledgable all things Carlton and a very amiable easy bloke to talk to . He just happened to ask me did i ever check out the The Blue View website . Of course i asked him.........whats a website ? no kidding , i had no knowledge of the internet whatsoever and only a fraction more these days . Don't no who laughed more , the bloke or my son . Just didn't understand why they thought it was so funny . Anyhow , the guy introduced himself..................my name is Chris he said , if you happen to go on the website they call me SYNBAD . True story , in a crowd of thousands i just happen to have random conservation with The Great Man himself and i have been stuck here ever since . So thanks Synbad for introducing me to new age technology which no doubt i would never have discovered if i had not had that million to one chance of meeting you that afternoon ...................anyhow , i used to frequent the magoo matches those days and we met up quite often . Synbad used to be a regular at those matches and we always had a chat . Great company , very engaging , and an around nice guy . EXCEPT , when it came to our footy club when he really lifted a gear and it was pretty obvious he loved the club and wanted the best for it . .........of course when Synbad got pissed off and that was quite often coz we were a basket case in those days he really let rip . Such an amiable bloke could turn into a real psycho when the subject got onto our footy fortunes . Synbad was the David Rhys Jones of TBV . Like David is a lovely bloke to meet in person BUT , when he crossed that white line . Same Synbad , lovely bloke , BUT , when he hit that keyboard .......................so there you are , a one in a million chance meeting with a stranger got me here and i gotta say i love it .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

P S ........if any of guys are in contact with Synbad these days pass on my kindest regards . A ripper bloke .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was in Thailand in 2002 and jumped onto the internet in Phuket when I read the news about The Penalties handed down by Demetriou & Evans.

"Pharkin hell, we have gone from our first ever wooden spoon to hell ...no Wells, No Goddard, No Hope...they've tried to kill us off." That raised alarm bells.

Now I was never really involved in forums, and had spoken with the plethora of Blue Baggers about the situation, and realised there was nothing they can do but watch our team die a slow death.

When I arrived back in Sydney from OS, I was determined to do whatever I can to help our club. The club that's given me so much joy, to get back on its feet.

I found CSC and TBV. I met a few Carltonians through those sites at a few Melb and Sydney functions, but couldn't see how they could help our rise back to the top.

My good mate in London told me about Talking Carlton as his go to forum. Well I joined Feb 6 2006 and admired the passion of Molly, Jarusa...and their idea to build The Blueseum, which signalled to me the start of great things: our renaissance.

In April I was nominated to represent TC at the Jumper Presentation at The Savoy Ballroom in the Grand Hyatt where I met and had a lot of fun with some of the players (coz after all they are big kids and easy to engage in mischief), and met Italian styles, the most handsome couple, the wonderful Mrs Caz, and Cazz himself....and plenty of others...there's photos somewhere on TC of the night.

I couldn't tell you how many, but I would have bought about 30 extra Memberships a year in the first few years, till some of those I introduced bought their own, and I still buy at least 10 extra new memberships a year to get people onboard. It works.

I met Mosche, Doc, Agro, Big Gartos... in Sydney, Gezman in canberra...gosh, quite a few from TC and all mad Carltonians like myself: My Blue Brethren.

Hey, like everywhere, there was a couple rude posters on TC who were out of order misrepresenting the club, who I wanted to punch in the nose, and still do TBH, because I dont tolerate smartarses who want to be rude and think they can get away with that behaviour, but chose not to....only because they are Blue Baggers. Lucky them!

All I want is for my kids to witness a Carlton flag whilst they are young, let alone 8 which I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What I'm sure has been omitted by a few and is certainly true for me is that I've made some genuinely good friends here, on and offline.

I also met CK95.

Last edited by bluehammer on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

I KNOW him…!

kindest regards tommi

hey Micksta…I speak with Mr Syn a few times a year…
I’ll tell him you said hello…!

great man…love it when we chat…and he gets on a roll
talking about ancient history…amazing…always learn a bunch
with that man…!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

I just checked my account. I joined on May 11th 2006.
Someone I knew mentioned that there were Carlton forums and I stumbled across TC.
I can't remember if there was anything going on at the time but I know we got the wooden spoon that year.
Can't believe it has been 16 years.
I have found TC a good source of info and log in most days to see if there is any news or rumours.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I used to read TBV but never joined.
I joined both CSC and TC at the same time in 2005. I have not been to CSC since 2005.

There are many times I have thought I have had enough and wanted to leave but for some reason I keep coming back.

I have met some of the posters here but not a lot and seemed to get along with them

I can't see a future for this place unless we all start to contribute financially and it must be quite time consuming for those who administer it.

Often think there is to much political bias on here particularly in stuff a select few seem to be able to get away with a lot others don't.

I appreciate most of the contributions made here as early days living in Sydney you were starved of any news relating to football

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Great thread. Was on TBV from Day 1. Took on the role of Club apologist and have been let down every year since!

Prior to that we had to make do with the official site which actually had a fan forum. Main problem was each post had to go through a moderator first so if you wanted to have a crack at Adam Chatfields game, or talk up Brett Backwell as the next big thing you had to wait about 2 days before seeing the post! Pretty sure Frankie used to post in there. Do have some vague memory of a poster named SteveB who was famous for his ridiculous trade scenario’s.

During that time someone (Richard Tuffin?) set up a Yahoo Group Chat (Carlton Coaches Box, I think) which there still might be a few surviving stragglers - Ruckus, Blueboy Benny….
Cazzesman - aka Silvertail59 - used to provide training reports and player reviews. Living interstate that was the closest access some of us had to the club, so was a must read in those days.

Last edited by Blueboy74 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluehammer wrote:
What I'm sure has been omitted by a few and is certainly true for me is that I've made some genuinely good friends here, on and offline.

I also met CK95.

I take it you & your dad still haven't forgiven me for leaving the Coll game early :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blueboy74 wrote:
Great thread. Was on TBV from Day 1. Took on the role of Club apologist and have been let down every year since!

Prior to that we had to make do with the official site which actually had a fan forum. Main problem was each post had to go through a moderator first so if you wanted to have a crack at Adam Chatfields game, or talk up Brett Backwell as the next big thing you had to wait about 2 days before seeing the post! Pretty sure Frankie used to post in there. Do have some vague memory of a poster named SteveB who was famous for his ridiculous trade scenario’s.

During that time someone (Richard Tuffin?) set up a Yahoo Group Chat (Carlton Coaches Box, I think) which there still might be a few surviving stragglers - Ruckus, Blueboy Benny….
Cazzesman - aka Silvertail59 - used to provide training reports and player reviews. Living interstate that was the closest access some of us had to the club, so was a must read in those days.

Damn, that’s when I first joined - the blue view forum, before it became a domain.
Very few would remember those days. I can’t believe I’m still floating around......damn hooked.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next