Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

lost by a kick...@#$%&! all these years later and nothing's changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lace Out wrote:
That was TBV v Bomber Blitz if I remember correctly.

Just after getting Judd across and remember yelling out JUUUUDDDYY after kicking my 3rd goal midway through the 1st qtr.

We got off to a great start but ultimately lost by a kick I think.

Great memories.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
So, 3 for the match then?

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 pm 
Wayne Johnston

camel wrote:
Oh, the TBV to TC history goes a little something like this, my memory and recollections only, obviously, and they’ve possibly faded a little with the passing of time…

Dom, who was the owner of TBV, saw potential to make TBV more than a message board, and to be fair he was perhaps ahead of his time in that regard. TBV was definitely the most prolific of the Carlton boards at that point. I can’t speak of the CSC split or history, but TBV was THE Carlton forum of the day and was instrumental in getting the support and mobilising of members to hold the EGM that saw Elliott given the arse after the salary cap cheating.

Anyway, Dom had bigger ideas for TBV and was thinking of adding news sections, interviews with players, articles and the like so the message boards would form one part of a larger, broader TBV website. That side of it was all pretty standard stuff, especially by where we are today in the land of Web 2.0.

There were quite a lot of people who just wanted TBV to remain as it was. If Dom wanted to do those other things, fine, but leave TBV as a simple message board and start a new site for all the other stuff. Of course TBV had the name so it was easy to understand why Dom wanted to expand TBV’s offering. At least, that’s my memory of the general view on his proposed changes.

Where things got sticky for Dom was when he said he wanted to have advertising on the site and he was questioned as to what would happen with the money generated from any advertising.

As I recall, Synbad, in particular, pressed Dom for answers, tagging him as MoneyBaggers (his username was GoBaggers). Dom didn’t handle that line of questioning very well at all and Synbad’s theory was Dom wanted to monetise the site for solely his own benefit (ie. no money would be shared with the moderating team, or the club or put towards sponsorships etc).

That’s kinda how capitalism works I guess, but Synbad’s position was TBV was a community and not Dom’s business plaything and the community should have a say in the direction of the site if it were to change.

This to and fro went on for a few weeks, maybe months. And more and more Dom was getting fed up with people not patting him on the back and applauding his vision (I never got to meet him in person, and I think he was an okay guy, but his ego was easily bruised).

I was on the TBV mod team, along with Mrs Caz and a few others who made it across to TC (apologies my memory is failing me). Behind the scenes in our mod forums things weren’t much clearer and we were trying to get Dom to better explain his ideas and to especially be more open about what he would do with the money. I mean if he wanted to make cash for himself, just say that and let people decide if they were up for that, but he just kept dodging the question as I recall.

And, then, finally, he just cracked the shits, booted me out as a mod without notice, and other mods as well I think, before, finally just flicking the switch and shutting down the site shortly after with nothing left visible except a long post telling everyone to GAGF. And that was that, mostly.

In the immediate aftermath of Dom’s meltdown a few makeshift message boards were setup on somewhat unstable free sites; and Wolfister established one which he called TalkingCarlton (a play on the Talking Footy TV show). A few of us banded together following an offer from Jarusa to host a board and then me, Bluechucky and Jars set about building TC along with input from other TBV regulars. Within a few days, it might have even been over one weekend, we had TC up and running as pretty much a copy of TBV… we made no bones about that, my view (which I think was shared by the others) was that people wanted a message board, no more, no less, and that’s all TC was intended to be.

I think Dom might have been a bit surprised by how quickly we were able to react and essentially replace TBV. He did join TC with an alter ego, but it was pretty easy to work that out and he didn’t last very long. After a few weeks, or maybe months, he reopened TBV but the damage was done and the traffic there was not even a shadow of the site in its best years. It was kept live for another couple of years I think and kind of just withered away. It was definitely a shame how it all ended.

So there’s a summary of the TBV to TC days from my side. Happy for anyone to add, disagree, or share their memories.

Aha! So that’s what happened? I missed the whole thing and logged into TBV as usual a few weeks after the fact and it was a wasteland, took me awhile to work out where everyone had gone but I never really knew what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:42 pm 
Serge Silvagni

It says that I joined in 2005, however I am certain it was a lot earlier before that!

I think there was another Main Carlton Forum before this one from 2001-2005 or this same forum had some sort of a change!!

The one thing I remember is those Footy Forum practice Games we used to have against other AFL Forum Clubs.....That's where I met Tommy and his cute Dog....

Does anyone still have any photos from those days??? :confused: :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am 
Rod Ashman

Like most, migrated from TBV, all the while wondering what the hell was going on.
Disturbed to find so many people as tragic about the Baggers.
Someone mentioned Goddard and Wells - has there been any worse nights?

Marvelled and then tired of Sailor Man’s saturation of the site.
And then he was gone.
Cold turkey.
Barge arse got his Brownlow.

Like many here head over to BF for any morsel. But it’s a bit like when you order KFC - you think you want it but feel dirty and cheap afterwards.
Give me a home cooked meal at TC any day.
And it’s a whole lot more appetising with the renaissance of … Tommi.
Even Keogh has a new, more palatable recipe.
The Blues must finally be cooking something …

Though I did fear for the site a year or two ago when traffic seem to slide.
Amazing what a team that we can be proud of and that is starting to resemble what made middle and older ages fans fall in love with the club can do.

It is so refreshing and is mirrored by what generally gets posted now.

And we’re all hungry for more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

GMCbris wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
That was TBV v Bomber Blitz if I remember correctly.

Just after getting Judd across and remember yelling out JUUUUDDDYY after kicking my 3rd goal midway through the 1st qtr.

We got off to a great start but ultimately lost by a kick I think.

Great memories.

So, 3 for the match then?

:)
Yep, kicked the 1st 3 goals of the game and that was it I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kennyhunter wrote:
Like many here head over to BF for any morsel. But it’s a bit like when you order KFC - you think you want it but feel dirty and cheap afterwards.

:lol:
It's good to see you posting Kenny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sitting here reading this thread I had an epiphany. A sudden flash back.

I remember being on TBV in 2002. I was 18 months before I started working at Carlton and I had started going to TAC games to see the likes of Goddard and Co.

Thinking we were going to pick Goddard at #1 I was a regular to his games. I was young and obviously extremely naive to the recruiting system and who was who in the zoo. I knew Shane O’Sullivan and few other recruiters by name but not much else.

I went to a game at Dandenong once to watch BG play. At half time I got talking to an older gent who I realised was a recruiter for an AFL club. He shall remain nameless to protect the guilty.

Now this gent was not backwards in coming forward and proceeded to tell me all manner of things about all manner things, football related.

I was enthralled with everything he was telling me. He didn’t seem to have a care in the world talking to a perfect stranger.

Later that evening, displaying all my naivety as regards the internet and forums I posted some of his thoughts. I don’t recall if I mention him by name, but I think I left a few clues along the way. I actually left out the really hairy stuff he said and just posted a few of his lesser thoughts.

My posts got some reaction from posters on TBV but nothing major.

A few days later my mobile rings. “Is this …………….. aka Cazzesman on The Blue View?

Mmmmmmmmmmm maybe :eek:
Well this is ……………… and if you don’t delete those posts on The Blue View you will be hearing from my lawyer!

The conversation went on for abit longer and he got abit angrier.

I think in the end I deleted some of the stuff and that was pretty much the end of it.

Our paths would cross at games over the next 12 years but we never spoke about it again.

Over the years a few other recruiters came to learn of it. They all thought it was hilarious and he should have known better.

Anyway that reminded me of when I started on TBV.

Regards Cazzesman

PS. If anyone remembers this and who it was, please don’t mention his name if you know it. :yikes: :yikes:

Last edited by Cazzesman on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Camel's version is pretty much how I remember it but I wasn't fully invested in TBV at the time in the way I was in CSC despite being a member at TBV for a few years.

The Big Brahmin Boss (Sheik)/Massive/GetWellsSoon politics at CSC were a different version of the Deej meltdown.

I had a not dissimilar vision to Deej of what we could do online as far as articles, video and something historical (the Blueseum eventually filled that space) etc but had no interest in anyone having "ownership" as such and didn't give a @#$%&! about advertising or monetizing the site other than to keep it sustainable.

A poster called Massive (Vlado) got involved and gave us free hosting on his server. I'd been very clear at that point that if that was to happen then he couldn't expect any special treatment from the moderating team and that was all fine. He said he rarely posted anyway.

I went to a game with Vlado and liked him but things shifted.

We launched the new site after a heap of work and it had articles and forums and other bells and whistles but soon after the new set up was in place Massive became extremely active as a poster and turned every thread in the site into his flamer playground.

Soon after a few other usernames started popping up that were clearly Massive.

I was just jack of the whole thing in the end and with the arrival of TC decided to bail on CSC.

Moshe, Kismet1964 (JackWorrall) and others moved over at the same time and that was that.

I haven't been back to CSC since and have no idea how it's going and don't really care. So many of the people that I know IRL in the Carlton online community were members of CSC, TBV and TC so the shift wasn't any great loss other than for what I thought we might be able to build.

On the other hand the spare time I suddenly had after leaving CSC enabled my business to thrive... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:34 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
Nice to see you Molly

I recall I was in an email group with you Jars & Molesy in the Mike & Dan era

Hope you're well.

Yes CK, you were always the funny one! You still are… some of your wry observations crack me up. I think Agro was a member of the group as well?

Mike and Dan was a great initiative from Molsey and Jarusa. It came about at a time where the club couldn’t manage their own media presence. I think this was one of the great things to see… that TC members could grow and develop initiatives which would help the club at its lowest ebb. The Blueseum and Mike and Dan were two great examples of this.

Gosh… how far behind was the club with social media? I feel like they’ve only “got it” in the last three or four years.

Anyway CK, you say that you hope I am well. I’ll talk briefly about the club, as it is something we all have in common. I sometimes see flashbacks to 1995 in the media, etc. I see them, and feel like it was another lifetime ago. I was 20 years old, living in Hobart with my parents, and still trying to finish off an economics degree I’ve never used. I remember the week of the grand final that Australian tv saw the debut of Nirvana Unplugged. My favourite tv show was Seinfeld. In some ways it feels like yesterday, in others it feels like an eternity. In some ways it makes me sad. In other ways I try to keep looking ahead.

For what it’s worth, I think the future is bright. I thought the 2022 Carlton side bore a lot of the hallmarks of yhe 2013 Richmond side. We need to hang in there. But we have enough match winners that we should be confident of premierships. The Nostradamus in me is picking one of the Camporeale boys to emulate his dad and win a flag with us in his first season. We’ll see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:41 am 
Ken Hunter

camel wrote:
Good to hear from you Molly. :beer:

:thumbsup:

I remember meeting Molly and verbs post-game at the Gabba many moons ago.

Even though they won't remember meeting me. :grin:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:18 am 
Rod McGregor

I can't remember a lot about the last 20 years, but I'm pretty sure I called DeanoSupremo 'bird boy' and something about the cops in Sale. That's pretty much it.

Oh also, my only claim to fame is "De Luca is Italian for two grabs".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:25 am 
Rod McGregor

GWS wrote:
Camel's version is pretty much how I remember it but I wasn't fully invested in TBV at the time in the way I was in CSC despite being a member at TBV for a few years.

The Big Brahmin Boss (Sheik)/Massive/GetWellsSoon politics at CSC were a different version of the Deej meltdown.

I had a not dissimilar vision to Deej of what we could do online as far as articles, video and something historical (the Blueseum eventually filled that space) etc but had no interest in anyone having "ownership" as such and didn't give a @#$%&! about advertising or monetizing the site other than to keep it sustainable.

A poster called Massive (Vlado) got involved and gave us free hosting on his server. I'd been very clear at that point that if that was to happen then he couldn't expect any special treatment from the moderating team and that was all fine. He said he rarely posted anyway.

I went to a game with Vlado and liked him but things shifted.

We launched the new site after a heap of work and it had articles and forums and other bells and whistles but soon after the new set up was in place Massive became extremely active as a poster and turned every thread in the site into his flamer playground.

Soon after a few other usernames started popping up that were clearly Massive.

I was just jack of the whole thing in the end and with the arrival of TC decided to bail on CSC.

Moshe, Kismet1964 (JackWorrall) and others moved over at the same time and that was that.

I haven't been back to CSC since and have no idea how it's going and don't really care. So many of the people that I know IRL in the Carlton online community were members of CSC, TBV and TC so the shift wasn't any great loss other than for what I thought we might be able to build.

On the other hand the spare time I suddenly had after leaving CSC enabled my business to thrive... :lol:

Hahaha,

Massive was the dirty foot f**kers guy. Hosted CSC along with a variety of p*rn!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:27 am 
Rod McGregor

One post I will never forget is Mickstar predicting a young lad from the peninsula would have a long AFL career.

Nathan Jones, 300 games for Melbourne.

One of the GREAT calls.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:59 am 
Adrian Gallagher

It's a bit hazier for me.
Was a infrequent visitor to Big Footy and saw a reference to Talking Carlton.
This would have been around 2008 to 2010, I joined under a different name originally, and was a bit of a lurker only.
Recall being impressed that A Walker's dad used to post.
I always got a giggle from the match reviews, whereby the sky was falling after a bad loss, then next week a win and next flag was just around the corner.

I was slowly but surely drawn into the vortex of passion exhibited by some posters. Some made me laugh frequently, some made me cringe thinking they love CFC as much as I do.
Particularly recall being a bit defensive of Bret Thornton as he seemed a whipping boy on the site, and at the time I worked at same company as his Mum, and she was a total sweetheart.

Never posted a great deal, still don't, but always an avid reader.
Think long term, a small sub fee for site may become necessary ?

Oh, took me about 2 years to quantify the content references to "flowers" and "cauliflowers".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am 
Robert Walls

The Yes Man wrote:
One post I will never forget is Mickstar predicting a young lad from the peninsula would have a long AFL career.

Nathan Jones, 300 games for Melbourne.

One of the GREAT calls.

I believe Nathan Jones was one of the two players (the other was Shannon Hurn) we were looking to take if we had accepted Melbourne’s offer of a first round pick for Lance Whitnall one year. We decided we would hold on to Lance, and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:57 am 
Robert Walls

bluedog wrote:
camel wrote:
Good to hear from you Molly. :beer:

:thumbsup:

I remember meeting Molly and verbs post-game at the Gabba many moons ago.

Even though they won't remember meeting me. :grin:

I do remember meeting you Bluedog, but I’ll be honest in saying that I don’t remember much more than that (and as I’ve been an extremely modest drinker for most of my adult life - think 1-2 glasses of wine each year - I can’t blame it on alcohol!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

Well. I started over at CSC in the early days, back then I took it too seriously and too personally. I was on the arse end of some terrible behaviour from the mods and a couple of posters on power trips so I cracked it and left. It was a turning point for me and I've matured a lot since then. When I discovered TC I approached it very differently and I learnt that I actually don't know that much about football I'm just a fan who is very passionate and very much in love with Carlton. :smile: There was a bit of conflict when I discovered the secret warren but apart from that I love this place and I love reading my favourite posters...which there are many :smile:

I don't like coming here so much after a loss, I prefer to stay away from the negativity... but I regularly check in throughout the year :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:31 am 
Harry Vallence

Was so naive when I first joined TBV in that I used my actual full name as my username. I thought if it was good enough for Frank Dardew and Josh Kaplan then why not. I had nothing to hide even though most people had weird nom de plumes or initials. Then I realized the internet was really about being anonymous so you could slag off and abuse people all you want without having to take personal responsibility, albeit with an occasional 2 hour ban from the moderators.

I remember names from those days. Go baggers Camel Wolfister Bluebird Shiek Elwood Blues GWS Frank CK Moshe John M Carlton Clem etc etc but there was a brilliant female moderator whose name I just can’t recall whose posts I really enjoyed reading.

I posted regularly but missed the collapse and wondered where it had all gone. It was some time later when it was Clem I think who told me everyone had switched over to a new site TC. I didn’t join until 2009 remained regular for many years but bailed during the Trump years where Talking Stuff in particular became very nasty and abusive. It just wasn’t pleasant. Was out for about 3 years but back in from start 2022 where I just had to remimmerse myself in the passion of true believers as the Blues started to Re emerge.

My wife who has no interest in football cannot understand my interest in a Carlton football forum, an echo chamber or group circle jerk she says where you are just hearing back from what you think and love. She might be surprised by the diversity of opinion, and often dramatic differenc of opinion, on TC.

For me football is a simple love, an escape from a busy and stressful life, and when I retreat to TC it enables me to close out the rest of the world and indulge myself in a simple pleasure. If I want to engage in the real world with its multitude of complex problems there are plenty of other opportunities to do this.

Now in the off season I cannot wait again for the excitement of as Frank (not his real name Ha) coined “the best walk in football”’ on a balmy autumn night walking to the G for the first game of the season. Always hope always expectation, a metaphor for life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:43 am 
Bruce Doull

I've always enjoyed your input mate :thumbsup:

RickJ wrote:
but there was a brilliant female moderator whose name I just can’t recall whose posts I really enjoyed reading.

melbelle, princess park, Mrs Caz?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next