Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best 23 Team in 2023
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Are people seriously considering or even minor comfortable in having McGov playing against Dusty?

No way. Plowman or Newman is the match up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

FarmerBlue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Are people seriously considering or even minor comfortable in having McGov playing against Dusty?

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

And who in the whole competition let alone our side is capable of holding Dusty when he's off the leash ? Dusty is unstoppable on his day . Let him do his thing and just shut down the rest of 'em .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Assuming McG, Martin, Pitto and Marchy will be right to go, and Cotters won't, this is my team.

B Saad, Weitering, Young
HB Newman, McGovern, Docherty
C O'Brien, Cripps, Akers
RUCKS Pittonet, Hewett, Cerra
HF Martin, Curnow, Silvagni
F Fisher, McKay, Motlop
INT Kennedy, De Koning, C. Durdin, Owies
SUB Marchbank

I really don't like having Pitto, Charlie, Harry, SOS, and TDK in the same team though. I am interested to see how the club will handle that selection issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

And who in the whole competition let alone our side is capable of holding Dusty when he's off the leash ? Dusty is unstoppable on his day . Let him do his thing and just shut down the rest of 'em .

Sorry Mick, you don’t just let game breakers off the leash. You need to try and control as best you can.
IMO, Biggest mistake by coaches to let these players run free. They bring so many others into play and control the game on so many occasions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Sorry Mick, you don’t just let game breakers off the leash. You need to try and control as best you can.
IMO, Biggest mistake by coaches to let these players run free. They bring so many others into play and control the game on so many occasions.

O K , if you are going to man up on Dusty then Plowman would be my man . No way is he going to stop him but he could nullify him . ...............first rule in footy is play in front . But i reckon with Dusty you actually play him from behind . Just keep him in front of you and no matter what don't let him slip behind coz that when he wreaks havoc . Reckon Plowman could keep him to 80 % effectiveness which would be a win for mine . Plowman gives you 100 % for a 100 % of the time .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I posted this below in Injury Thread but belongs here too because there isnt a round 1 thread, and continuting the discussion as to who takes on Dusty the forward.

Quote:
Looking at the predicted Round 1 team in the Herald Sun today, I can see the point abns is making about injury in 2023.
I'm mindful this is an educated guess, based on current situation.

I'm not writing off Cottrell till I see he hasnt played any praccy games.

I don't know what to believe about Gov. I sure dont take the Herald Sun or SEN as gospel. They suggest Gov's preseason has been disrupted, whereas club says he's tracking well and his program has changed from previous years and is managed on an individual program, as is Martin, to avoid the injuries of the past. I've heard similar about Marchbank too. They have 5 weeks before first bounce and 10 days before first praccy game vs Collingwood, and 24 days before Swans praccy game. Who really knows?

From track watchers it sounds like Plowman is ahead of Kemp, and I would have Ed Curnow as a notable absentee too, and he hasnt missed a beat this preseason. Surely Ed is ahead of Carroll in terms of development, strength, experience, stamina......fitness?

Nevertheless, this is a good team.

Quote:
CARLTON

B: N. Newman, J. Weitering, M. McGovern

HB: S. Docherty, L. Young, A. Saad

C: L. O’Brien, P. Cripps, B. Acres

HF: Z. Fisher, C. Curnow, J. Motlop

F: J. Silvagni, H. McKay, C. Durdin

Foll: M. Pittonet, A. Cerra, G. Hewett

I/C: M. Kennedy, T. De Koning, M. Owies, B. Kemp

Sub: J. Carroll

Notable absentees: S. Walsh, Z. Williams, M. Cottrell, J. Martin, P. Dow, C. Marchbank, J. Honey, L. Plowman

There are a few injury issues for the Blues to start the season, including Sam Walsh (back), Zac Williams (knee) and Matthew Cottrell (foot). Mitch McGovern and Jack Martin have also had interrupted summers. But the spine looks strong and recruit Blake Acres should instantly add plenty of run on one wing.

-Chris Cavanagh

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-every-clubs-predicted-lineup-for-their-round-1-clash/news-story/5b8cc63a2f7058a0dfd2b85a2795f485

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
Assuming McG, Martin, Pitto and Marchy will be right to go, and Cotters won't, this is my team.

B Saad, Weitering, Young
HB Newman, McGovern, Docherty
C O'Brien, Cripps, Akers
RUCKS Pittonet, Hewett, Cerra
HF Martin, Curnow, Silvagni
F Fisher, McKay, Motlop
INT Kennedy, De Koning, C. Durdin, Owies
SUB Marchbank

I really don't like having Pitto, Charlie, Harry, SOS, and TDK in the same team though. I am interested to see how the club will handle that selection issue.

I like this team better than the Hun version - it includes Martin where the Hun doesn't.
I don't mind having all the talls. As long as they all chase hard and fast when the need arises. The only one who might struggle with that is Pitto.
Also, I wouldn't be averse to throwing Charlie out to a wing every now and then to mix things up or even in the middle. SOS could go in the middle occasionally or maybe even play defensive forward on Dusty if Plowman or Newman are struggling.
Thoughts on including Ed Curnow to tag Dusty out of the middle?
PS. How good would it be to see Charlie get the ball defensive side of the wing, and stream down the boundary like Buddy and slot it from 60m??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:16 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
I posted this below in Injury Thread but belongs here too because there isnt a round 1 thread, and continuting the discussion as to who takes on Dusty the forward.

Quote:
Looking at the predicted Round 1 team in the Herald Sun today, I can see the point abns is making about injury in 2023.
I'm mindful this is an educated guess, based on current situation.

I'm not writing off Cottrell till I see he hasnt played any praccy games.

I don't know what to believe about Gov. I sure dont take the Herald Sun or SEN as gospel. They suggest Gov's preseason has been disrupted, whereas club says he's tracking well and his program has changed from previous years and is managed on an individual program, as is Martin, to avoid the injuries of the past. I've heard similar about Marchbank too. They have 5 weeks before first bounce and 10 days before first praccy game vs Collingwood, and 24 days before Swans praccy game. Who really knows?

From track watchers it sounds like Plowman is ahead of Kemp, and I would have Ed Curnow as a notable absentee too, and he hasnt missed a beat this preseason. Surely Ed is ahead of Carroll in terms of development, strength, experience, stamina......fitness?

Nevertheless, this is a good team.

Quote:
CARLTON

B: N. Newman, J. Weitering, M. McGovern

HB: S. Docherty, L. Young, A. Saad

C: L. O’Brien, P. Cripps, B. Acres

HF: Z. Fisher, C. Curnow, J. Motlop

F: J. Silvagni, H. McKay, C. Durdin

Foll: M. Pittonet, A. Cerra, G. Hewett

I/C: M. Kennedy, T. De Koning, M. Owies, B. Kemp

Sub: J. Carroll

Notable absentees: S. Walsh, Z. Williams, M. Cottrell, J. Martin, P. Dow, C. Marchbank, J. Honey, L. Plowman

There are a few injury issues for the Blues to start the season, including Sam Walsh (back), Zac Williams (knee) and Matthew Cottrell (foot). Mitch McGovern and Jack Martin have also had interrupted summers. But the spine looks strong and recruit Blake Acres should instantly add plenty of run on one wing.

-Chris Cavanagh

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-every-clubs-predicted-lineup-for-their-round-1-clash/news-story/5b8cc63a2f7058a0dfd2b85a2795f485

Martin is a definite for me over Owies
Plowman or Cowan over Kemp
and I reckon there is nothing between Durdin & Young for the KPD spot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:35 am 
Bruce Doull

If we're going to debut players like Cowan in 2023 (which I hope we don't) then I'd prefer we wait til rounds 3 & 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
If we're going to debut players like Cowan in 2023 (which I hope we don't) then I'd prefer we wait til rounds 3 & 4

Why, if they are ready?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

FarmerBlue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Why, if they are ready?

After a rebuild that started 8 years ago, shouldn't we be in a position where we don't need to call on 18 year olds to fill holes in the senior team? Can't we finally give them a year in the VFL before debut?

I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing Hollands get a game at some stage, but that's just because of the injury to Cottrell & the fact I don't really rate O'Brien. But as I said, preferably against GWS or North, not Richmond/Geelong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

CK95 wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Why, if they are ready?

After a rebuild that started 8 years ago, shouldn't we be in a position where we don't need to call on 18 year olds to fill holes in the senior team? Can't we finally give them a year in the VFL before debut?

I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing Hollands get a game at some stage, but that's just because of the injury to Cottrell & the fact I don't really rate O'Brien. But as I said, preferably against GWS or North, not Richmond/Geelong.

I just think if they are good enough and earn their spot they play. That's my take

Would you have held Walsh or Daicos back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Farmer given he's 22 & he's already suffered a syndesmosis injury, plus a bulging disc in his lower back, yeah I just might have :grin:

I suppose Bolton really had no choice but to debut Walsh though, because we were a struggling team & all he really could do then was play the kids (I actually think Bolts should deserve a bit of credit if we ever make it).

Right now I think we're in between being that struggling 2019 team & a peak team like 95 when we could debut a skinny guy like Campo, because we had Sticks Dean Earl Harry etc to protect him. We've finally got a good number of players in the 24-25 age bracket, to the point that I think we should be able to have the luxury of holding the kids back, for once.

Daicos is a star & may as well have been the no.1 pick in his year, & the Pies do have a bunch of late 20s players to support him. That said, I don't even want to discuss those cauliflower right now. It's still a bit too soon :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Anyone think Cunners can do well enough in the practice matches to get up for rd 1?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Arnhem blues wrote:
Anyone think Cunners can do well enough in the practice matches to get up for rd 1?

I’d be happy if he could just get up off the operating table.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What's our best 23 heading into finals?

Anyone likely to be available this season can be used

B: N. Newman, J. Weitering, B. Kemp

HB: A. Cincotta, M. McGovern, A. Saad

C: O. Hollands, P. Cripps, B. Acres

HF: D. Cunningham, H. McKay, J. Martin

F: J. Motlop, C. Curnow, M. Owies

Foll: T. De Koning, A. Cerra, S. Walsh

I/C: G. Hewett, J. Boyd, J Silvagni, M.Cottrell

Sub: P. Dow

Played against Saints but not included
Fogarty, Doc, Marchbank, Ed, Fisher (toss up between him and Boyd, we'll know more in a couple of weeks)

Post subject: Best 23 Team in 2023
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:49 am 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:
What's our best 23 heading into finals?

Anyone likely to be available this season can be used

B: N. Newman, J. Weitering, B. Kemp

HB: A. Cincotta, M. McGovern, A. Saad

C: O. Hollands, P. Cripps, B. Acres

HF: D. Cunningham, H. McKay, J. Martin

F: J. Motlop, C. Curnow, M. Owies

Foll: T. De Koning, A. Cerra, S. Walsh

I/C: G. Hewett, J. Boyd, J Silvagni, M.Cottrell

Sub: P. Dow

Played against Saints but not included
Fogarty, Doc, Marchbank, Ed, Fisher (toss up between him and Boyd, we'll know more in a couple of weeks)

As good as Hewett is, I think Doc gives more flexibility and pace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Can't have a best 23 without Doc, he's top 5.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next