Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm still suffering from what Des English aptly called it "Stockholm Syndrome".

I have been quite positive about our year having achieved nearly all the milestones we wanted the club to achieve, but I want to call this year a failure for the team, because we are not in a position where we can accept mediocrity.

Injuries and Umpires were on my radar as the main culprits of our failure. But I need to have a good think about the year that was, and if it has set us up to springboard into the Top 4 in 2023.

Here's Foxsports view:

Quote:
9. CARLTON (12-10, 108.3%)

Three word analysis

Voss’ resurrection ruined.

What went right

Frustratingly, so much, especially at the start of the year. Michael Voss has turned out to be an inspired choice as coach, uniting a talented playing group on paper and getting them playing a tough, brutal brand of footy, particularly at the coalface where they ranked second for contested possession and clearance differential, as well as fourth for points from stoppages. They showed terrific maturity under Voss, who helped implement an effective defensive system. Charlie Curnow couldn’t have had a better return after missing two-and-a-bit seasons with knee injuries, winning the Coleman Medal with 64 goals. Just as importantly, he worked superbly in tandem with Harry McKay, who also booted 45 goals. Superstar duo Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh led from the front as they repaid the faith the Blues placed in them after they signed bumper extensions, while the moves to sign George Hewett and Lewis Young were shrewd ones. Adam Saad will be an All-Australian contender after a career-best season, while Sam Docherty’s resurgence – primarily as a rebounding defender then a midfielder later in the season – was one of the best footy stories of the season.

What went wrong

The final month. More specifically, the two final quarters of the final two games of the season. When the Blues twice had the chance to secure a finals berth and break a nine-year September drought, they conceded last-gasp goals to Demon Kysaiah Pickett and Magpie Jamie Elliott, leading to consecutive weeks of heartbreaking scenes. But the Blues will look back on that ugly 29-point loss to 15th-placed Adelaide in Round 20 and cringe. Win that game and the Blues would’ve been playing finals. Instead they had to find an upset win over top-six sides Brisbane, Melbourne and Collingwood in the final three rounds – a task they couldn’t complete. Injuries didn’t help, with George Hewett, Matt Kennedy and Nic Newman all significant absentees in the final few games. Harry McKay, Mitch McGovern, Marc Pittonet, Oscar McDonald, Zac Williams, Jack Martin and Caleb Marchbank also missed various chunks of time during the season. The Blues’ scoring declined after their bye too, averaging 77.3 points — ranked 13th in the competition during that time. Overall, the fact the Blues missed finals with 12 wins and a percentage of 108 proved how tough the competition was this season, but also how big an opportunity that went begging.

What they need

Luckily not too much, which is why they should attack the draft – as has been reported throughout the year – and focus on re-signing players after years of being active at the trade table. Yet the Blues have the salary cap space to add talent to their well-set list – both via the free agency and trade periods – after this season. Some speed and class on the outside would be handy. According to Champion Data, all three of Carlton’s wingmen — Jack Newnes, Lochie O’Brien and Will Setterfield — finished the season rated ‘below average’.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

8pm: There’s a lot of ‘what if’ about Carlton’s 2022 season, so the natural reaction for Blues fans will be to lament another wasted season. They should’ve played finals, but the Blues still took significant strides this year under Voss. If it wasn’t for the in-season expectations they’d built up then the dramatic drop-off in the final month, you would’ve given the Blues a pass mark for this year without hesitation, considering the disarray and turmoil they were in 12 months ago.

Season grade

B

I guess making Finals would have rated our year as an A.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1206200/cook-hurt-motivation-and-leadership

Thanks Brian.

Pretty this club has given me enough resilience to survive anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

5 AA squad nominees - same as Geelong, only Melbourne had more (6).

Coleman medalist.

Potential Brownlow smokey in Cripps after his strong start and finish.

Yet we haven't made finals, it's incredible how much we are underachieving.

Yes, the bottom half of our playing list isn't up to it, but we should still be playing finals.

I want to be positive and as my posts on here show I had been all week even after the Dees loss, but this loss yesterday has broken me.

I am petrified of sliding back to 12-14th next year.

Please god tell me I am wrong and we will take the next step. Please.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You're wrong. We will take the next step.

I actually do believe that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:

With you 100% on that Bluehammer.
I honestly believe we'll be a better team in 2023.
Saw some kids with tears in their eyes when leaving the G yesterday. They were hurting as were the players.
I'm sure the work behind the scenes has already begun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

I hope you're right.

I was OK when we lost and almost laughing at the absurdity of all, stayed back until it emptied and there was a kid who would be no more than 12 or 13 years old all on his own in the adjacent bay hunched over. We went over to him to check up on him and he was balling his eyes out, a bumbling mess.

That really hit me hard and I just gave him a pat on the back and said "Don't worry mate, Richmond and Melbourne turned it around, we can do it too" - the problem is I myself don't believe we can right now.

Think about that passion - this kid only ever knows misery, probably too young to remember 2009-11, yet it hurt him so much. He loves this club as much as the rest of us.

I thought about him almost as much as the game itself today, and it hurts just as much seeing the poor kid in that state as what we saw unfold on field at the end.

I hope for his sake and ours, we do turn it around and glory days are just around the corner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:08 am 
Harry Vallence

I think we failed this year

Simply because we improved this year doesn’t mean it was successful. It should be a given considering we are 7 years into a perpetual rebuild

I like Voss as he hit it on the head. Time to step it up. He was proud of the team’s effort but still not good enough. Very balanced.

In my view the next step is to improve our ball movement and transition game. We are too one dimensional. Although probably the best contested team in the AFL, we need to add a few more strings to our bow.

Our top end is great so that should hold us in good stead. Just need to add 3 - 4 players to complement our current list. Preferably players who are durable and have speed. Also, natural growth within should put us in a position to contend over the next few years. Players like Durdin and Motlop come to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:57 am 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
I have had several people message me today asking if I was ok.
It is really nice of them to do so as they know how much I love footy.
I will get over it, as we all will.
Just feeling a bit fragile at the moment.

We have been doing the same with all our Carlton mates. Everyone is the same, we will get over it but right now we're all a bit wobbly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:39 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
I'm still suffering from what Des English aptly called it "Stockholm Syndrome".

I have been quite positive about our year having achieved nearly all the milestones we wanted the club to achieve, but I want to call this year a failure for the team, because we are not in a position where we can accept mediocrity.

Injuries and Umpires were on my radar as the main culprits of our failure. But I need to have a good think about the year that was, and if it has set us up to springboard into the Top 4 in 2023.

Here's Foxsports view:

Quote:
9. CARLTON (12-10, 108.3%)

Three word analysis

Voss’ resurrection ruined.

What went right

Frustratingly, so much, especially at the start of the year. Michael Voss has turned out to be an inspired choice as coach, uniting a talented playing group on paper and getting them playing a tough, brutal brand of footy, particularly at the coalface where they ranked second for contested possession and clearance differential, as well as fourth for points from stoppages. They showed terrific maturity under Voss, who helped implement an effective defensive system. Charlie Curnow couldn’t have had a better return after missing two-and-a-bit seasons with knee injuries, winning the Coleman Medal with 64 goals. Just as importantly, he worked superbly in tandem with Harry McKay, who also booted 45 goals. Superstar duo Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh led from the front as they repaid the faith the Blues placed in them after they signed bumper extensions, while the moves to sign George Hewett and Lewis Young were shrewd ones. Adam Saad will be an All-Australian contender after a career-best season, while Sam Docherty’s resurgence – primarily as a rebounding defender then a midfielder later in the season – was one of the best footy stories of the season.

What went wrong

The final month. More specifically, the two final quarters of the final two games of the season. When the Blues twice had the chance to secure a finals berth and break a nine-year September drought, they conceded last-gasp goals to Demon Kysaiah Pickett and Magpie Jamie Elliott, leading to consecutive weeks of heartbreaking scenes. But the Blues will look back on that ugly 29-point loss to 15th-placed Adelaide in Round 20 and cringe. Win that game and the Blues would’ve been playing finals. Instead they had to find an upset win over top-six sides Brisbane, Melbourne and Collingwood in the final three rounds – a task they couldn’t complete. Injuries didn’t help, with George Hewett, Matt Kennedy and Nic Newman all significant absentees in the final few games. Harry McKay, Mitch McGovern, Marc Pittonet, Oscar McDonald, Zac Williams, Jack Martin and Caleb Marchbank also missed various chunks of time during the season. The Blues’ scoring declined after their bye too, averaging 77.3 points — ranked 13th in the competition during that time. Overall, the fact the Blues missed finals with 12 wins and a percentage of 108 proved how tough the competition was this season, but also how big an opportunity that went begging.

What they need

Luckily not too much, which is why they should attack the draft – as has been reported throughout the year – and focus on re-signing players after years of being active at the trade table. Yet the Blues have the salary cap space to add talent to their well-set list – both via the free agency and trade periods – after this season. Some speed and class on the outside would be handy. According to Champion Data, all three of Carlton’s wingmen — Jack Newnes, Lochie O’Brien and Will Setterfield — finished the season rated ‘below average’.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

8pm: There’s a lot of ‘what if’ about Carlton’s 2022 season, so the natural reaction for Blues fans will be to lament another wasted season. They should’ve played finals, but the Blues still took significant strides this year under Voss. If it wasn’t for the in-season expectations they’d built up then the dramatic drop-off in the final month, you would’ve given the Blues a pass mark for this year without hesitation, considering the disarray and turmoil they were in 12 months ago.

Season grade

B

I guess making Finals would have rated our year as an A.

I'm not big on champion data or when someone says "but they score x supercoach points". However, interesting our wings all our wings were rated below average. Though unsure why no mention of Cotters in that. Confirms what most of us think, the wing position is an issue and needs addressing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:48 am 
Ken Hunter

My KISS principle.....

in 2022 The Club has given us hope for the future. Our best is getting close to the top 4 mark. 'Sustaining performance' will be the 2023 Catch Phrase.

88,000 members should buy again with confidence. Confident they will see a competitive, combative team, each week.

Voss has bought his renown steely resolve and Cook has bought his calm, professional administrative/management style.

It is clear as daylight, the Club IS in good hands heading into 2023. Sign Harry, sign TDK, sign another top 22 player and lets go.

Regards Cazzesman

Last edited by Cazzesman on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ralph from the Herald Sun today

Quote:
But as Carlton football boss Brad Lloyd said on Monday morning, the Blues believed they were good enough to make an impact THIS September.

How often do you hit finals with two key forwards in such dominant form, with Patrick Cripps in beast mode, in a finals series that still appears open, despite the quality of Melbourne and Geelong?

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

With All Australian candidates including Cripps, Sam Walsh, Adam Saad, Sam Docherty and Curnow, Carlton knew it could beat the best in the competition.

There were wins this year over 2022 finalists Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Sydney and Fremantle, plus losses from winnable positions against Collingwood (twice) and Melbourne last week.

This year was a some sort of break out year, but if the club thought we were going to make an impact this September, we blew it, because we can all smell how close we were... 0.6%

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am 
Bruce Doull

bluehammer wrote:

Carlton is one or two astute trades and a better run with injuries away from being a top 4 team IMO.

Missing the finals by a bee's dick should light a fire too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:56 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Traveller86 wrote:
5 AA squad nominees - same as Geelong, only Melbourne had more (6).

Coleman medalist.

Potential Brownlow smokey in Cripps after his strong start and finish.

Yet we haven't made finals, it's incredible how much we are underachieving.

Yes, the bottom half of our playing list isn't up to it, but we should still be playing finals.

I want to be positive and as my posts on here show I had been all week even after the Dees loss, but this loss yesterday has broken me.

I am petrified of sliding back to 12-14th next year.

Please god tell me I am wrong and we will take the next step. Please.

I think this is a good pot.

The club need to really scrutinise and identify what went wrong. Voss talked a fair bit about fitness/durability. But I think the elephant in the room is the poor decision making, lack of composure, and poor onfield leadership WHEN IT MATTERED MOST.

Fans are fooling themselves if they ignore this.

On Fox the other night they were very critical of our defenders and in particular Weitering who is supposed to be our May down back. How Elliot was able to be free at the death. After what happened the previous week, but more importantly after all we know about how well Collingwood rebound and run forward to goals, for us to allow this mistake is inexcusable. All the defenders but especially Weitering and also IMO our defensive coach Hamill need to take responsibility for this shit being allowed to happen. I am sorry but they are professionals who get paid a hell of a lot and they should have done better. The same needs to be said for Curnow who's lack of composure and maturity was extremely disappointing. Is he really that unsure of his skills that he thinks the best way to kick a goal is to rush the kick straight away? Sorry but that blows my mind. These mistakes, from players who have been in the system for years now simply should not happen.
Then there is the Durdin mistake. In hindsight I can sort of see how this is a lesser crime. He is a young footballer and that sort of decision making needs to be taught. Yes it would be good if he had a naturally incredibly good footy IQ but clearly he doesn't and so the coaches need to go to work over summer and educate the players on what to do under critical moments. This sort of thing is as much on the coaches as it is the players. How can you dominate clearances and hard ball gets and I50s and have 5 players in the AA squad and 2 Coleman Medalists and a potential Brownlow Medalist and yet 2 weeks in a row make so many horrendous mistakes and show a startling lack of composure? Make no mistake, Cooke won't be happy with this shit. The coaches and players either go to school and tidy up their game or they will fail again next year. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
4. Jacob Weitering just wasn’t the same player when he returned from his shoulder injury

in a team already short-on for intercept markers
In his seven games back, Weitering had four games without an intercept mark and took only nine in total.

He averaged only 61 ranking points, 11 disposals and one intercept mark, losing 31 per cent of his one-on-one contests.

That one-on-one stat is the 10th worst of the top 50 key position defenders.

He is a star and a full pre-season will re-establish as an elite defender, but can Marchbank get there after four games averaging 1.5 intercept marks and 9.3 possessions?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/wreck-it-ralph-where-carlton-went-wrong-and-what-it-needs-to-be-a-genuine-contender/news-story/7f316b2e2cecb6a3c01aef8af519b66d

Injuries played a huge part shaping the team's year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
5. For all of Carlton’s late-game brain fades, the defence held up exceptionally well across the season

The Blues were fifth for points scored pre-bye, but 13th post-bye.

But they had a rock solid defensive profile and remained sixth for points against post-bye.

From round 13 onwards, despite the scoring profile dropping away, they were the fourth-hardest team to score against.

They will allow Liam Jones to leave for the Dogs so can McGovern play 15-plus games as an intercept marker?

Lachie Plowman played 15 games this year but Voss needs to decide if he has moved past him.

Lewis Young held up very well across 19 games and, after being secured for the loss of Sam Petrevski-Seton, it was a massive list management win.

But the best sides have at least two quality interceptors – Jeremy Howe and Darcy Moore (Collingwood), Jake Lever and Steven May (Melbourne), Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin and Noah Balta (Richmond), Sam Taylor and Nick Haynes (GWS) — and the Blues still rely on McGovern’s durability to round out their back six.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/wreck-it-ralph-where-carlton-went-wrong-and-what-it-needs-to-be-a-genuine-contender/news-story/7f316b2e2cecb6a3c01aef8af519b66d

Marchbank's return helped.

Weitering was the best intercept mark in the TAC, but has become our lockdown defender, but not quite the same player as he was before he injured his shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You are never safe against Melbourne or Collingwood, but the round 20 game against Adelaide was a killer.

Adelaide beat Carlton up in close as they lost the contested possessions for only the third time this year as Curnow and McKay were mostly shut-out. :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
7. Carlton ranked 11th for goals from small forwards this year, which gives Michael Voss huge room for improvement next season

Jesse Motlop (12 debut-season games) is a baby in football terms but averaged a goal a game, Matt Owies (31 games) is a high-pressure player averaging only 0.8 goals a game and Durdin (23 games) averaged two tackles and 0.7 of a goal.

Zac Fisher plays a different half forward role, but the small forwards need to develop synergy and increase their goal power.

They all have time on their side with Motlop’s form after being taken at pick 27 another big win.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

missnaut wrote:
kezza wrote:
I have had several people message me today asking if I was ok.
It is really nice of them to do so as they know how much I love footy.
I will get over it, as we all will.
Just feeling a bit fragile at the moment.

We have been doing the same with all our Carlton mates. Everyone is the same, we will get over it but right now we're all a bit wobbly.

I was speaking to a few Carlton supporting customers today.
All had the same response that they are feeling sad. One said she cried.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yup….

i awoke better today…but having a full on relapse
this afternoon…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Ppl talking about buying finals tix is a bit triggering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next