Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

And forever more….

we had…COKK…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Very happy supporter. Lot of bad habits and cultural issues needed to be sorted out. I think Sayers, Cokk, Voss and Co have really set the platform for a successful future.

Our defensive side improved dramatically and our game style at it's best could match anyone

We now need to get fitter and tougher and have a decnt run with injuries. If the players have a big pre season and work on connection and effort we are in atop 4 side in 2023. No doubt

Add Acres and some draftees and our list looks great

I'm bullish, and agree with your pragmatic summary ... and Cokk goes alright thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Here's what they think at Fox Sports

Quote:
What went right

Frustratingly, so much, especially at the start of the year. Michael Voss has turned out to be an inspired choice as coach, uniting a talented playing group on paper and getting them playing a tough, brutal brand of footy, particularly at the coalface where they ranked second for contested possession and clearance differential, as well as fourth for points from stoppages. They showed terrific maturity under Voss, who helped implement an effective defensive system. Charlie Curnow couldn’t have had a better return after missing two-and-a-bit seasons with knee injuries, winning the Coleman Medal with 64 goals. Just as importantly, he worked superbly in tandem with Harry McKay, who also booted 45 goals. Superstar duo Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh led from the front as they repaid the faith the Blues placed in them after they signed bumper extensions, while the moves to sign George Hewett and Lewis Young were shrewd ones. Adam Saad will be an All-Australian contender after a career-best season, while Sam Docherty’s resurgence – primarily as a rebounding defender then a midfielder later in the season – was one of the best footy stories of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brutal-reviews-what-went-wrong-for-bottom-10-and-who-they-now-must-target/news-story/a4af7bf59dc2ff6fafd677c2ec5564ea?recommendedCount=0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Here's what Fox sports thought

Quote:
What went wrong

The final month. More specifically, the two final quarters of the final two games of the season. When the Blues twice had the chance to secure a finals berth and break a nine-year September drought, they conceded last-gasp goals to Demon Kysaiah Pickett and Magpie Jamie Elliott, leading to consecutive weeks of heartbreaking scenes. But the Blues will look back on that ugly 29-point loss to 15th-placed Adelaide in Round 20 and cringe. Win that game and the Blues would’ve been playing finals. Instead they had to find an upset win over top-six sides Brisbane, Melbourne and Collingwood in the final three rounds – a task they couldn’t complete. Injuries didn’t help, with George Hewett, Matt Kennedy and Nic Newman all significant absentees in the final few games. Harry McKay, Mitch McGovern, Marc Pittonet, Oscar McDonald, Zac Williams, Jack Martin and Caleb Marchbank also missed various chunks of time during the season. The Blues’ scoring declined after their bye too, averaging 77.3 points — ranked 13th in the competition during that time. Overall, the fact the Blues missed finals with 12 wins and a percentage of 108 proved how tough the competition was this season, but also how big an opportunity that went begging.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brutal-reviews-what-went-wrong-for-bottom-10-and-who-they-now-must-target/news-story/a4af7bf59dc2ff6fafd677c2ec5564ea?recommendedCount=0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Here's what Foxsports rated our season 2023

Quote:
What time is it on the premiership clock?

8pm:

There’s a lot of ‘what if’ about Carlton’s 2022 season, so the natural reaction for Blues fans will be to lament another wasted season. They should’ve played finals, but the Blues still took significant strides this year under Voss. If it wasn’t for the in-season expectations they’d built up then the dramatic drop-off in the final month, you would’ve given the Blues a pass mark for this year without hesitation, considering the disarray and turmoil they were in 12 months ago.

Season grade B

[url]
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brutal ... dedCount=0[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:49 am 
Harry Vallence

Agree but given our finish to the season and epic choke, would give us a B-.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Traveller86 wrote:
Agree but given our finish to the season and epic choke, would give us a B-.

It was a choke somewhat given we were 2 kicks ahead in both of our last games with 2 minutes to go, but that was with a decimated midfield group, missing Walsh, Hewett and Kennedy. Weitering playing with one shoulder and struggling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:57 pm 
Garry Crane

our game plan no good ,forgetting the last 2 matches but throughout season how many teams made comebacks to almost winnable position,why because our style gives opposition the opportunity .So hopefully Voss and Co make changes to playing style for2023.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

And I suppose we got the big leads through dumb luck? Yes, the tactics need tweaking. No good? I disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Unlike this year, next year we need to play 4 quarters of footy ... every game.

Every mark, kick, handball, point, and goal is worth something. The should all be valued and not given up cheaply.

Percentage = 4 quarters.
4 quarters = 4 points
4 quaters = flag

Simples

Last edited by bondiblue on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Every second….

of every minute….
of every quarter….
of every game….!

put that up in the rooms….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:48 pm 
Robert Walls

Forget injuries and forget the last 2 games

Our season was a "failure of sorts" because we allowed the Saints and Crows to play like world beaters. Those two games defined the outcome of our season

Had we brought the same MINDSET to those games as we did to Melb and Coll, we would have played finals

Those two games were as close to "putting a fist through the TV" games as I've experienced in years

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
Forget injuries and forget the last 2 games

Our season was a "failure of sorts" because we allowed the Saints and Crows to play like world beaters. Those two games defined the outcome of our season

Had we brought the same MINDSET to those games as we did to Melb and Coll, we would have played finals

Those two games were as close to "putting a fist through the TV" games as I've experienced in years

Agreed. They remain the most frustrating side to watch.

I worry about the mental scars from the last 2 games too. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot a serial winners on our list

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:44 am 
formerly Fevola

i felt while we made strides especially with all the injuries.

I felt at the end it was a bit of a waste to be out of the 8 with only .6 of a %. We are far better than the dogs, and i would argue Freo as well.

I felt that if we made it in the finals, we would have scarred a few teams. Would have love our boys to play in at least one final.

Think about it, we have beaten or should have beaten all teams except for Geelong and Brisbane in that final 8.

We just ran out of luck which is a shame. We need to learn composure for next year, as we lacked it badly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:58 am 
Rod Ashman

The wash-up.
This season gave me more than hope. It gave me belief!

GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We finished 9th

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:57 pm 
Bob Chitty

tommi wrote:
Every second….

of every minute….
of every quarter….
of every game….!

put that up in the rooms….!

kindest regards tommi

spot on

and if anyone takes the foot off ... show them the pickett goal, show them the elliot goal ... every second counts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:25 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Was thinking about the season just yesterday. I can't help but feel it started going pear shaped when we dropped Jack for the Adelaide game, then made him sub. I could be jumping at shadows but something changed that day. Sure the saints game was awful, but that was more down to being inaccurate, we actually outplayed them overall.

I think we may have to make further brave recruiting/trade decisions in the next year or 2. Simply put, our midfielders/ HFF don't kick enough goals. I would look at offloading Fisher (for example).

I'm happy to fly under the radar over summer, Collingwood could have missed out of the 8, they were very lucky and won't repeat that next season. I expect to overtake them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7