Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nice Cee Kay….

hope Sam felt better brother…!

as soon as the game finished…i couldn’t
find the controls fast enough to flick…!

but I’d LOST THEM…NO idea where they’d
fallen…!

i sprung to my feet…didn’t even grab my
crutches to walk…i just leant on the furniture…
waddled my way to the power point and
frantically switched off at the wall…!

my nephew hadn’t seen me move that quick
in years…!

it stayed off for some time…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

17th Premiership wrote:
Has there been any follow up on Mason Cox's sideways knee to try to hurt/block Pittonet in the first quarter?
They showed it during the second quarter but then nothing. I would have thought that would be up for match review panel?

Both Collingwood ruckman went after Pittonet's knee, especially in the first half. The umpires ignored it until that particular free kick.
The best part was that Cameron nearly hurt his own knee by adopting that tactic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:57 am 
Garry Crane

I also feel I should chime in with a welfare check on my fellow Blues supporters.

I’ve never experienced such a visceral reaction upon hearing a final siren. Psychologists will tell you it was a classic ‘age regression’ behaviour - didn’t quite start sucking my thumb but I just put my head in my hands and sat there for about 30 seconds. The wife quietly tiptoed out of the room after which I slowly got up and took the dog for a long walk.

CK95 is right of course - it’s just a game. Lord knows, I work at a cemetery so know full well what real tragedy looks like.

But this does hurt, on so many levels. How freakin’ unlucky can one club be? And how freakin’ LUCKY can another be? I am even of the opinion that Grundy being injured has, in a roundabout way, proved beneficial for Collingwood - in all those close, frantic finishes, they have had, out of necessity, one more fast mobile player to utilize than they otherwise might have had.

Just on injuries and conditioning - how come Cameron looks, to all intents and purposes, to have done his PCL, disappears into the rooms, and comes back as good as new? Ginnivan has a hammy on ice yet miraculously looks unencumbered 6 days later?
How many ‘late withdrawals’ have we had this year? Don’t know if stats are available for this but I’d be surprised if we didn’t top that list as well. And would a 75% fit Sam Walsh have made +1 point difference? Damn straight he would.
So the S&C department is definitely one to which I would be applying the blowtorch.

And just to finish off on a morose and depressing note - to all those chirping that this could be the “loss we needed to have”, there IS a chance that this experience will have the OPPOSITE effect on the playing group.
Yes, it MAY burn and ignite, but it may also demoralize and crush them. We all know we have more than our fair share of players who are mentally brittle. I guess we’ll just have to reconvene this time next year to find out which way it went.

Barracking for Carlton reminds me of that Woody Allen joke from ‘Annie Hall’.
A man goes to see a psychiatrist on behalf of his brother who thinks he’s a chicken.
Man: My brother thinks he’s a chicken. You gotta help him. He drives us nuts with all his flapping and clucking.
Psych: Well that’s just ridiculous. There’s a simple solution - grab him by the shoulders, look him in the eye, and tell him he’s NOT a chicken.
Man: Yes, normally we would do that, but the thing is, we really need the eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:35 am 
Ken Hunter

It's interesting seeing the responses after the game.

We also felt we'd lose it in the last - I was pretty blah but thought I was OK after the siren, no tears like the Melbourne game, can't hurt me no more after last week.
But we got home, put the kids to bed, then I said down and went......"@#$%&!!" and it all came out.

What was probably most surreal was going home was the exact same as last week. Deathly quiet train, people crying, people swearing and carrying on, people sitting there with blank looks on their faces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Effes wrote:
This is madness. Yes it's one moment in the game but still...

https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/15 ... 2577344512

Darcy Moore is back as a spare, Cameron is back as a spare.

Durdin is on his own.

What does Charlie do? Bombs it long to the two spares.

Watch the rest of the clip for how disorganised Carlton were behind the ball.

To me that was so much worse than the kick to the pocket a short time later. You could see the other one was just a breakdown in communciation between the leading player and the kicker. This one from Charles was just an up and under hoof. I don't want them to take the joy out of his game - but I really hope he actually does some video review of this (and other) moments which killed us.
This had been happening all year FFS.... Seems almost every goal against us was like this... we get pulled into the forward line and are outnumbered AND outpaced out back...
Why would the last minute of a tight game be different.... WTF are they practising

Go Blues

Lower your @#$%&! eyes.

WE have 6 forwards not 2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:19 am 
Bruce Doull

I was at the game and when the siren went I was gutted, blowing a 4 goal lead to lose by a single point summed up the entire season.

Then I sat and watched the 30 something Collingwood supporter who had been sat in front of me carrying on like a mental patient, yelling at Carlton supporters who were filing out to "@#$%&! off". He jumped while hugging his sisters and mum, screaming "Woooooooo" at the top of his lungs. He then spat some vitriol at the Carlton bloke who he'd had a shouting match with during the third quarter and his eyes were wide and crazy. I looked across at our boy's girlfriend and she was staring at the guy as well with a strange mixture of horror, revulsion and bemusement evident in her face.

That pulled me a little out of my disappointment as I realised that as much that it hurt that Carlton had lost, I'd still get up in the morning and everything would be fine. Unlike the bloke in front of me, I could handle the result with dignity and I have other things in life that are more important than the success of a team that I arbitrarily chose to follow as a kid. I'm still avoiding all footy related media and in particular commentary around the last game because it sucks, but I'm certain that come Feb/March next year the memory will have dulled and I'll be looking forward to a new season with optimism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Can someone please put the MVP voting up? We need to write this game off and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
It's interesting seeing the responses after the game.

We also felt we'd lose it in the last - I was pretty blah but thought I was OK after the siren, no tears like the Melbourne game, can't hurt me no more after last week.
But we got home, put the kids to bed, then I said down and went......"@#$%&!!" and it all came out.

What was probably most surreal was going home was the exact same as last week. Deathly quiet train, people crying, people swearing and carrying on, people sitting there with blank looks on their faces.

Feel for you.

I went to one losing game vs Geelong and the train ride back.
Reminded me that there's a lot of Carlton supporters in Melbourne.
Everyone had their own version of what transpired just like Footy Forums.

You're not on your own.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wojee wrote:
I was at the game and when the siren went I was gutted, blowing a 4 goal lead to lose by a single point summed up the entire season.

Then I sat and watched the 30 something Collingwood supporter who had been sat in front of me carrying on like a mental patient, yelling at Carlton supporters who were filing out to "@#$%&! off". He jumped while hugging his sisters and mum, screaming "Woooooooo" at the top of his lungs. He then spat some vitriol at the Carlton bloke who he'd had a shouting match with during the third quarter and his eyes were wide and crazy. I looked across at our boy's girlfriend and she was staring at the guy as well with a strange mixture of horror, revulsion and bemusement evident in her face.

That pulled me a little out of my disappointment as I realised that as much that it hurt that Carlton had lost, I'd still get up in the morning and everything would be fine. Unlike the bloke in front of me, I could handle the result with dignity and I have other things in life that are more important than the success of a team that I arbitrarily chose to follow as a kid. I'm still avoiding all footy related media and in particular commentary around the last game because it sucks, but I'm certain that come Feb/March next year the memory will have dulled and I'll be looking forward to a new season with optimism.

Well measured approach Wojee.

Plenty of reasons to view 2023 with optimism.

Footy is made up of all types.
Some of the violent scenes after the game I just saw on the Herald Sun site, I get how that happens, but its just not worth that trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:50 am 
Ken Hunter

The only positive of them winning is a lot less domestic violence would have occurred.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

My 10 y.o. son called me after the game & was just lifeless, & asked me to come over for a cuddle. I needed one too! So over I went, & I guess, being a parent, it helped put the game in a little perspective. I simply had to put on a brave face & get over my shit & not sook it up too much in front of my 10 y.o. Being a dad makes a lot of things that used to matter so much, seem just that little bit more inconsequential than they once did. OK I'm really reaching there, but hopefully you get my drift. Reckon Sam Docherty would be filthy at not bringing it home for the club he's loved all his life, but he could probably tell us all a bit about perspective also.

I hope everyone is doing as OK as one possibly can. If anyone wants to chat, or even catch up & do meth or peptides or something, drop me a PM. I'll try my best.

I'll always believe in the greatness of Carlton.

Had to do something similar with my 14yo.

He needed a Carlton win after losing his Final by a point.

Perspective.

You're one of my favourites CK.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Those videos taken from behind the goals were horrendous the way we were set up before that last goal. While I didn't expect a complete defensive system to be developed in a week, at least put a couple back in the defensive 50 in the right spots. Being outnumbered 2 to 1 in that last situation was in excusable. Weitering was just standing there. As a leader he should have been trying to organise the defence. The leaders needed their ears to burn after the game. No lessens were learnt from the previous week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:58 am 
Geoff Southby

missnaut wrote:
The only positive of them winning is a lot less domestic violence would have occurred.

So wrong......yet so right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well, I'm still in a bit of a daze.
It was like watching a car crash over the past month or 6 weeks. I can handle losing to good sides and Collingwood are a reasonably good side and Melbourne are definitely good. As long as the players have a dip.
And I don't think anyone can doubt that about Sundays game. Some players made bad decisions and some poor skill execution but they all had a red hot crack. Same as the week before. We should have won both but it was moments that failed us, not desire and effort.

The killer for me was the Crows game. Not just that we lost but we lost by 5 goals. I said at the time that the percentage loss would come back to haunt us and it sadly did. They're the games good teams don't drop so we still have quite a way to go.

But I'll go with the positives and come out of my bunker in the near future. We lost to a team with more belief. I look at the Collingwood team and they had at least 5 players in their 30's. They had numerous players who have played finals footy and 9 players who have played in a grand final. Far more experience in life and finals football.
Our players have only known disappointment and failure. This should be our moment to put the past behind us and move into a period of success.
Our players have only known the feeling of not being good enough. Now they know they have the ability and resources to take on the very best. But they have to value every game and every moment. That is elite performance.
I suspect this will burn inside the players like it does us. And they will be far better prepared and far more resilient Round 1 next year. It's just going to be difficult to get this feeling out of our guts until next season comes around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Well, I'm still in a bit of a daze.
It was like watching a car crash over the past month or 6 weeks. I can handle losing to good sides and Collingwood are a reasonably good side and Melbourne are definitely good. As long as the players have a dip.
And I don't think anyone can doubt that about Sundays game. Some players made bad decisions and some poor skill execution but they all had a red hot crack. Same as the week before. We should have won both but it was moments that failed us, not desire and effort.

The killer for me was the Crows game. Not just that we lost but we lost by 5 goals. I said at the time that the percentage loss would come back to haunt us and it sadly did. They're the games good teams don't drop so we still have quite a way to go.

But I'll go with the positives and come out of my bunker in the near future. We lost to a team with more belief. I look at the Collingwood team and they had at least 5 players in their 30's. They had numerous players who have played finals footy and 9 players who have played in a grand final. Far more experience in life and finals football.
Our players have only known disappointment and failure. This should be our moment to put the past behind us and move into a period of success.
Our players have only known the feeling of not being good enough. Now they know they have the ability and resources to take on the very best. But they have to value every game and every moment. That is elite performance.
I suspect this will burn inside the players like it does us. And they will be far better prepared and far more resilient Round 1 next year. It's just going to be difficult to get this feeling out of our guts until next season comes around.

:clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pies fan at work complaining he could only get nosebleed seats for the finals.

Just rub it in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The moments we got terribly wrong.

Maybe McRae trained his troops about the different challenges the team faced and Voss didnt.

Quote:

In moments of crisis, Collingwood has repeatedly known exactly what to do in every single moment, and Carlton has panicked.

Last week, it was the Matt Owies missed kick to Adam Saad and Lochie O’Brien’s decision to knock the ball out of a contested situation out of a pack instead of creating a last-minute stoppage.

Here is the question for Carlton — did they know a draw was good enough to play finals and if they didn’t, why not?

Because if Corey Durdin knew a draw was enough, how did he ignore Harry McKay with a 10-metre gap on Darcy Moore with 72 seconds on the clock and the ball in his hands 65 metres from goal?

It was the easiest of kicks to hit up McKay, who could have called up on his left-foot snap to tie up scores.

Instead, he blasted the ball over his head where Jeremy Howe mopped up, given it was kicked to his advantage instead of Charlie Curnow in the square.

Michael Voss talks about adding layers to the game plan, but how much situational game training did the Blues get in for exactly these moments?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/wreck-it-ralph-where-carlton-went-wrong-and-what-it-needs-to-be-a-genuine-contender/news-story/7f316b2e2cecb6a3c01aef8af519b66d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our KPF's are too casual and dont take their kicking routine serious enough.

Quote:
2. Charlie Curnow won the Coleman Medal and lost Carlton the match

As brutal as that sounds, the tale of the tape is savage.

Curnow had eight shots at goal for 2.5 and one snapped set shot that didn’t make the distance from 30 metres.

Two set shots were tough — one from outside 50 and one from 40 out on a tight-ish angle.

But squandered chances include the mid-air kick running into goal, when he had separation from Darcy Moore and could have gathered, and that early around-the-corner set-shot snap from 30m that never looked likely to make the distance.

He repeated the dose early in the last term with his hurried wide snap shot from a mark that would have extended the margin to 29 points.

Instead, Collingwood swept back into the game.

His quick snap shot in broken play with seven minutes on the clock would have put Carlton 22 points up, and, while it was pressured, it ended a day with two goals from eight shots.

Like Max King, he will one day take a finals series apart despite 2022 kicking woes but both he and McKay don’t quite know when to take a straight set shot and when to snap around the corner.

Curnow kicked 64.42 for the year but also had 11 complete misses.

Harry McKay, who kicked 2.3 for the day, kicked 45.31 for the year, plus 11 total misses so was no better than a 50-50 shot at goal all year.

Have to get better and show some composure, and more respect for the limited opportunity they have to kick for goal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

MVP Voting: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37612

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We need a goal kicking coach. Whether that's Fev or Lloyd or someone else. It is critical.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next