Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:31 am 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
daggs001 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
daggs001 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
The look on Doc and Cripps' faces at a centre bounce after yet another Coll goal. They looked spiritless. They looked defeated already. Zero leadership.

They were both awesome. Cripps was flower huge. Almost got us home on his own. He was probably BOG.

Yes but where were they at the death? MIA just like last week.

Oh Doc kicked it out of bounds.

Cripps had 27 contested possessions. 27.
Short of putting on a Cape I'm not sure what you expect from the man.

Paddy’s comments after an awfully painful loss are not helpful….he should take a break instead of breaking our hearts more than what they are….ridiculous to blame Cripps and Doc and earlier Weitering….really upsetting to read Carltonians turning on Carltonians…..2023 and beyond. I’m looking forward to it.

agree. but lots of hard questions need to be asked by coaching staff about our continual brian fades.

that’s something that can be solved pretty easily if the club devotes classroom time for educating our players, not just a regular reviews of the game. i’m talking about classroom time devoted to proactively educating in the mathematics of decision making. i’m happy to volunteer my time if they can’t find someone to lead it :-) would think Diesel or Hamill would know a thing or too about it. Voss the player was always surrounded by elite talent so maybe he never needed to learn about it?

they need to understand the laws of probability and how and why to do what’s required in different contexts. footy can be a simple game when you have the gods on your side, they need to learn method for when it’s not all going our way and fighting to win back momentum from the opposition. taking the heat out of it. maintaining possession without risking turnovers in the D50. that kind of unsexy stuff.

maybe it was written in the stars that we’d not make finals. the bulldogs coming from 18 points down to win by just enough to get us on percentage is super-spooky. but we had lots of opportunities this season to at least make top eight if not too four and go deep into finals, i don’t brink we are that good playing together yet for a start and the bottom players in our team and even some of the stars of our team
still have inconsistency to overcome.

2023 will be much brighter i promise you all. we’ve come a long way tis season no matter how much this hurts. and it hurts me too. my body feels physically bruised with the pain of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:34 am 
John James

Effes wrote:
The problem is there are clubs who finished below us who you can easily argue will be better than Carlton next year.

The truth is you haven't got a second to lose.

who? Hawks possibly? who else. please don’t say Essendon*. we played well against top four teams at the business end of the season, well enough to win but we don’t have the full game plan together yet. ., the only bad performance was against Geelong, never in it and against Brisbane we were too inconsistent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:36 am 
Harry Vallence

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/humans-of-betoota/carlton-lose-in-the-most-carlton-way-possible/?fbclid=IwAR2ky6QhUVHH1bpVtI-mIzCoX_TfHsg-jQoXgkvwmCq_ArrWQ73Zr92g9qc

Quote:
In some news from the world of Victorian Leg Tennis, the Carlton Football Club has turned in an absolute vintage performance this weekend, it can be confirmed.

The infamous club from Melbourne’s inner city put on a clinic yesterday afternoon, to throw away their game against arch-rivals Collingwood.

Played in front of 88,000 teeth-gnashing Victorians, the club with a long history of underperforming once again found a way to bomb out of the match and their season.

Holding 8th and last place in the race for finals, the Blues dug deep to let Collingwood run over the top of them and score 3 unanswered goals in the last few minutes.

Needing to win to play finals, Carlton had previously amassed a huge lead of 26 points with less than a quarter to play.

However, like the week before, where a win would have guaranteed them a spot in the finals, the team that loves to let their fans down managed to concede a last minuted goal to ruin everything.

Those consecutive losses now mean the Western Bulldogs have snuck into 8th spot, with a 1% better points differential than their inner-city rivals.

The loss has been described as the perfect exclamation mark on Carlton’s season, with yet another few months of hype and belief once again petering out into a Gold Coast Suns-length off-season.

Every single Carlton fan we contacted for the story was unavailable to provide comment.

More to come.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:36 am 
John James

bmaurizio wrote:
Effes wrote:
The problem is there are clubs who finished below us who you can easily argue will be better than Carlton next year.

Agree we can’t rest on our laurels , our list needs considerable tweaking , we’re missing a few vital pieces yet. Austin has a major role.

any elected Rucks out of contract or free-agency player status?!

what we’d give for a young tall forward who can kick straight consistently, richmond, bulldogs, pies all picked one up at straight from the draft!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 am 
Geoff Southby

diesel95 wrote:
Effes wrote:

who? Hawks possibly? who else. please don’t say Essendon**. we played well against top four teams at the business end of the season, well enough to win but we don’t have the full game plan together yet. ., the only bad performance was against Geelong, never in it and against Brisbane we were too inconsistent.

I think Effes makes a good point Deez in that the footy wheel never stops turning and that everybody is on it not just us . No one stands still . You have to move forward just to maintain your current spot .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:40 am 
John James

mymanmurph wrote:
all seriousness if you gave me a choice for the season we had I would’ve taken it after the last few years.

Last 2 games have been as good experience as any final in Brisbane would have given us.
Hope the boys are hurting like us supporters are, they need a big off season!

Just remember Melbourne finished 9th 2020….

agree. disappointment cannot be allowed to become learned hopelessness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:49 am 
Wayne Johnston

bluedog wrote:
Here I was thinking Ginnivan was going to be out with hamstring issues!!

Thought the same thing

I remember seeing the little turd sitting on the bench with his hammy iced up

Any of our players would have missed 1-2 weeks :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:01 am 
John James

Rod Waddell wrote:
0.6 to 5.1 in the last. McKay and Charlie main culprits 2.3 and 2.5 respectively. They can shove their Colemans where the sun don’t shine. Individual accolades don’t help the footy through the big posts. They need to understand the value of a goal and aim to get 70-80% of their shots through the big sticks.

ive said as much during the season. Sticks wasn’t always on song but he knew when the team needed one and made sure if it. H is almost the opposite in that regard. the deflation and momentum swings after he takes a big grab and then misses a very gettable goal, often with a snap from the wrong spot for a snap, is just painful for all concerned. Charlie is either hot or cold in front of goals. hopefully. they both mature and are prepared to learn that they don’t know everything yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:03 am 
Geoff Southby

chubbyruss wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Here I was thinking Ginnivan was going to be out with hamstring issues!!

Thought the same thing

I remember seeing the little turd sitting on the bench with his hammy iced up

Any of our players would have missed 1-2 weeks :banghead:

Dennis the Menace .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:07 am 
John James

RickJ wrote:
Let’s repeat. 4 goals up at 3/4 time with momentum and 0.6 to 5.1 in the last. Inexcusable,learned nothing from last week other than to shit themselves. Should never ever ever lose a game set up like that.
Loved Cerra’s game 2 big goals and just class and toughness.
Devastated like the rest of you
10 year old granddaughter in tears at the ground after the game. Two year old grandson when I arrived home asking me if I’m sad are you still sad grandad.
@#$%&! me

i think it’s more about ingrained method and (bad) habits and inexplicably bad decision making than shitting themselves. i know for some people that ends up as choking either way. but it’s not about then being “tougher” i suspect what they need to have is classroom based education and cognitive training sessions galore from now on. the end of the second ate and third showed lots of guts. 2021 blues would have crumpled into a 60 point loss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am 
John James

Effes wrote:
Expected score 84 Carlton 62 Collingwood

what software predicted the 84 blues v 62 pies? was it at three ate time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:10 am 
John James

keogh wrote:
I’ll say it again
It comes back to recruiting and List Management
It goes back to 5 years ago
Our 3 top 10 picks around that time OBrien Dowand SPS have all been misses
Setterfield cost us 2 good picks
If we are fair dinkum we need to delist players like him
Mc Govern cost us pick 26 28 and McAdam

On top of this we have Martin and Wiiliams on big money long term deals

Good list management gets you into finals
IMO it’s the most important thing with regards to success
Richmond’s 3 flags had on average 9 blokes who weren’t top 50 picks in the draft

It makes it very hard to win big games when it matters if your depth is tested

WAlsh was obviously a big loss but we haven’t been the same since Hewett stuffed his back
Kennedy has been a big loss too
Look at Collingwood
They have recruited very well with late picks in the draft and rookie picks
It can be done
The Lewis Young SPS trade has been a win but we really have to get List Management right over the next 2 years
Why get Hayes in the midseason draft
A good VFL player and no upside
Our top end talent is top shelf but our depth is crap

Some tough and smart decisions need to be made over the next 2 years otherwise the window won’t happen

Setterfield was named on AFL game summary as one of caletons best. just sayin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:22 am 
Craig Bradley

Every time we have had a shot at making finals late in a season the last few years we have choked up the last qtr. 2020, under Teague, we were a real red hot chance. 4 games from the end we led at 3/4 time against the Pies and fell apart in the last qtr, 5 days later, 15pts up at 3/4 time against GWS and s hit our pants. We won the next game. If we won those other 2 we would have been game and percentage inside the 8 with 2 games to go. Come 2022 and that s hit still hasn't been sorted.

If we actually learn from this it could a real good thing going forward. Will we or will we be the same old Carlton? We have a reputation now for choking. Sides will always think they are in the game now against us.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:27 am 
Ken Hunter

Yeah jim, I'm not at all confident that the "learnings" (wtf kind of word is that, anyway?) will produce the desired outcome. Like you say, we've had ample chokes in our recent history to learn from. At what point does choking just become an integral part of the club? Probably 2020, indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

That graph shows that Pies converted every opportunity from inside 40. We missed half.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 am 
Geoff Southby

This is not a post match discussion.

This is a post mortem.

There is always next year. It was Voss's first year on the job. I have said it before. How many years before bomber Thompson got it right, or Hardwick, or the good stuff Goodwin.

We had 9 running first 18 players either out or suspected of carrying an injury (on my count) and others who did not make the team because they have not realised their potential eg Honey, Kemp.

I harp on it. Get 'em fit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:56 am 
Wayne Johnston

CFC8795 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
I am still blaming the orange socks.
It was the turning point of our season.
2 wins (WC and GWS) 6 losses since then.

Before then we were 10 and 4.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Two games we are guaranteed to lose next year.
1 Before the bye, and, 2 The orange sock game.
Perhaps next year we should have the socks in the game before the bye.

The early season game on the humid Gold Coast also a loss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

This is madness. Yes it's one moment in the game but still...

https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/15 ... 2577344512

Darcy Moore is back as a spare, Cameron is back as a spare.

Durdin is on his own.

What does Charlie do? Bombs it long to the two spares.

Watch the rest of the clip for how disorganised Carlton were behind the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
This is madness. Yes it's one moment in the game but still...

https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/15 ... 2577344512

Darcy Moore is back as a spare, Cameron is back as a spare.

Durdin is on his own.

What does Charlie do? Bombs it long to the two spares.

Watch the rest of the clip for how disorganised Carlton were behind the ball.

To me that was so much worse than the kick to the pocket a short time later. You could see the other one was just a breakdown in communciation between the leading player and the kicker. This one from Charles was just an up and under hoof. I don't want them to take the joy out of his game - but I really hope he actually does some video review of this (and other) moments which killed us.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

diesel95 wrote:
RickJ wrote:
Let’s repeat. 4 goals up at 3/4 time with momentum and 0.6 to 5.1 in the last. Inexcusable,learned nothing from last week other than to shit themselves. Should never ever ever lose a game set up like that.
Loved Cerra’s game 2 big goals and just class and toughness.
Devastated like the rest of you
10 year old granddaughter in tears at the ground after the game. Two year old grandson when I arrived home asking me if I’m sad are you still sad grandad.
@#$%&! me

i think it’s more about ingrained method and (bad) habits and inexplicably bad decision making than shitting themselves. i know for some people that ends up as choking either way. but it’s not about then being “tougher” i suspect what they need to have is classroom based education and cognitive training sessions galore from now on. the end of the second ate and third showed lots of guts. 2021 blues would have crumpled into a 60 point loss.

Happened way back in 2020 too when we choked up last qtrs against Collingwood and GWS in consecutive games when wins would have got us into the 8 comfortably. 2022 and nothing has changed, nothing learnt. What is with our leaders in such situations?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next