Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 am 
Rod Ashman

jake_h03 wrote:
I reckon this loss might be the making of us. This will burn all summer long. Cue Eye of the Tiger Rocky training montage

I thought the Melbourne loss was going to be the making of us :garthp:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:54 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
0.6 to 5.1 in the last. McKay and Charlie main culprits 2.3 and 2.5 respectively. They can shove their Colemans where the sun don’t shine. Individual accolades don’t help the footy through the big posts. They need to understand the value of a goal and aim to get 70-80% of their shots through the big sticks.

This.

Still burning me today.

8 behinds from the coleman medallists. @#$%&! that.

Practising snaps on the big stage: wrong shot, wrong place, wrong decision.

Yep.
And what's worse is they flower train for those moments. 6 days a week.
You know, I have a kid who is anaphylactic. I had one twenty minute training session 12 months ago......and when the time came and my boy needed me to call on that training, i remembered it. And put it into practice. And I'm a pretty simple, stupid bloke in all fairness.

Look at the pies. They train for the moments . It was only a few weeks ago they had the almost identical play when Elliott had the shot after the siren.
They did it again. They put into practice what they train for. Everybody knew their role.
So did the demons last week. Lever pulled the strings and they put it into practice. And got the job done.
Our boys completely forgot what they trained for two weeks running. It just does your flower head in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

daggs001 wrote:
And the kids were in tears. My best advice to them was to consider supporting the Cats or Swans. At least they will have some joy in their lives. Supporting Carlton will just make you miserable. Year after year after year.Poor kids heartbroken.

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Realistically after we lost to Adelaide the season was done.

I started looking to next year then. That was pathetic.

These last two weeks have been far from pathetic, just lacking the required belief to get it done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

daggs001 wrote:
Effes wrote:
dane wrote:
Effes wrote:
The problem is there are clubs who finished below us who you can easily argue will be better than Carlton next year.

The truth is you haven't got a second to lose.
Strongly disagree. Name one.

Gold Coast, GWS and PTA all have lists capable of playing finals. Even the cheats could improve significantly.

But so will we. Realistically even if we won tonight, we were not winning a flag this year.
We have so much upside its not funny. Look at how guys like Motlop took their chances tonight. His pressure and goals were super. He is a kid.
Lewis Young has been a revelation. He stood up again tonight. Just two examples of players with huge growth potential. TDK will come on again.
Charlie has a full season under his belt. We have young mids who will continue to get better.
With some clever recruitment to fill a few holes we can be a very strong team next year. Hopefully less injuries (a review of the high performance team essential).
I would be targeting a small or mid sized experienced forward during trade week. Some one like a Jack Gunston. Imagine if we had a wise head like him or a Jack Riewoldt type settling Charlie and young Corey Durdin down in the last. We need some experience in that forward line, someone who has been there before.
@#$%&! i was so heavily invested emotionally in the last fortnight but with a few hours to reflect, its not the end of the world. We lost finals like games. The intensity at the Gabba in two weeks wont be any higher than the last fortnight. We will learn and get better. I reckon that was a good taste of what is required for our boys to go away and think about in the pre season.

Wish there was a love button on here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 am 
Bob Chitty

Still bitterly disappointed after a night’s sleep. This one is going to take a bit to get over. Whatever way you slice it, this is a choke from an 8-2 start to missing the finals. The last 3 minutes against Melbourne and the last quarter against Collingwood were just diabolically bad. So many small failures, mental, tactical and skill wise, that added up to the crushing final result on both games.

The question for me is what is the club going to do with this. Can they use it as a springboard to finally develop some tough mental resolve or will they fall away again because it’s all too hard? No one on the outside knows the answer really.

Mentality and injuries are the two key things holding us back. Get this right over the pre-season, we may be able to right the wrongs of this year. Get this wrong again and forget it, it’ll be the same crap we saw at the back end of this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Went to bed angry, woke up angrier.

1 stage of grieving.
8 months to wait.

And now I'm even angrier...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:38 am 
Bruce Doull

If you don't kick a goal for 2 of 4 quarters then you don't deserve to win, let alone play finals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:39 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
If you don't kick a goal for 2 of 4 quarters then you don't deserve to win, let alone play finals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am 
John James

Sydney Blue wrote:
Had more disposals
Inside 50 65 to 44
Won contested possession by 54
Won the clearances
Had more shots on goal.

But lose

Hire a new head shrink I have been saying it for years. They are mentally week

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

it’s not just that it’s forward entry method. as most of us have been documenting this season the long bomb to a 2 v 2 or 2 v 3 or 3 v 4 in or forward line hasn’t been working. if the alla were crumbing it and getting it out to goal kickers the. fine but that’s not what happens most of the time. many times it’s a contest near the boundary and it results in a boundary throw-in. do we have a great ruck at carlton? or a tomahawk? no. i’ve never seen a successful carlton team that doesn’t have six forwards who all know how to lead into space to maximise their chance of king a mark.

good forwards kick more goals than behinds. and kick goals when you really need them.

the momentum loss when Harry takes a big grab and then goes back to kick a behind is massive. we should be able measure it in Newtons. the number of times he and other key forwards do that and the opposition score a goal in response 60 seconds later with 88k people in the stands and 300k watching and listening on tv, radio & steaming watching on and knowing what that means for the game should be something the club focuses on.

they say they know the probabilities of the kicking from different positions in different ways and what the best kick is, well i’m calling bulldust on that. people might think with H and Charlie winning consecutive Colemans we have great goal kickers at carlton, but fact is these guys get a lot of supply, we always kick to them in F50 so predictably and they kick a lot of behinds. more than Sticks in his later years i’m guessing and at least Sticks knew when we really needed one and made sure of it. H seems to be the opposite this season. Charlie is a 50/50 on that at score at best.

i doubt these players would know much about probability in general given the decision making in the last five minutes of the last two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am 
Harry Vallence

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
cortez wrote:
We have a list of players who, with very few exceptions have experienced very little success in their AFL careers.

Winning culture, how do you instill that in a club? Not just the expectation of success, but the confidence to prevail when the going gets tough. You could see from around twelve minutes to go in the last quarter that it was a case of can we hang on, the team reasserting control and kicking away seemed very unlikely.

So many terrible first quarters this year, so many quarters where we have been held goal less. Our best is very good, but the inconsistency across four quarters has been a real weakness.

I couldn't care less who takes out the flag now. I can't bring myself to even think about next year, I do wonder if I'll live to see another flag.

About the flag, you cannot care if the tiges or magies win? Surely not. Any of the others who cares.

Well, I'd rather it not be the Tiges or Cats. I have grudging respect for the Pies. The way they've played this year, especially considering where they finished last year, good on 'em.

But no, really I don't care much at all who wins. I probably won't even watch the GF.

I'm going to try to forget all about footy for six months or so, then around we go again. I'll try not to get too excited about our chances, try not to take it all too seriously, but I will (again).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:04 am 
John James

when Bulldogs come from 18 points down to win by exactly the number of points they needed to pass our percentage and when we lose the last game of the year by one point after being 24 points up at three quarter time and lose by one point the week before after being in front for most of the final
quarter i’m thinking Carlton has really pissed off the footy gods in a big way.

you can make his shit up.

i’m still of the belief that taking blood money from Mathieson is tantamount to rolling the Carlton brand in spousal and child abuse, which is so often the consequence of gambling addicts putting their pay packet down a poker machine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 am 
Ken Hunter

diesel95 wrote:
when Bulldogs come from 18 points down to win by exactly the number of points they needed to pass our percentage and when we lose the last game of the year by one point after being 24 points up at three quarter time and lose by one point the week before after being in front for most of the final
quarter i’m thinking Carlton has really pissed off the footy gods in a big way.

you can make his shit up.

i’m still of the belief that taking blood money from Mathieson is tantamount to rolling the Carlton brand in spousal and child abuse, which is so often the consequence of gambling addicts putting their pay packet down a poker machine.

Ditto.
Add in the constant injury battle we had.

Perhaps the redevelopment disturbed an ancient burial site and the ghosts are mad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am 
Garry Crane

dane wrote:
Realistically after we lost to Adelaide the season was done.

I started looking to next year then. That was pathetic.

For me it was the St Kilda game. That told me all I needed know in terms of our mental daemons.

Dropping this game was why we missed the finals.

Vossy had a strut and an arrogance about him as a player. Can’t really blame him for not being aware of the fact that we’ve been St Kilda’s bitch for almost 20 years which is just plain embarrassing. The match day selections, attitude, and lack of urgency shown in the St Kilda match smacked of arrogance and entitlement.

No more of these inexcusable lapses please Vossy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:15 am 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
I think in the off season our dumb players need to spend as much time in the footy classroom as on the training field. Durdin and Charlie can do extra hours.

carlton did a big promo for Charlie signing on for six years. i know they hoped it would be the news that got us the win. Charlie probably thought committing early would be good for the club, can’t fault him for that, great intentions. in the story they talked up how Charlie is just a big kid, instinctual player at his best. and doesn’t listen to the coaches too much. “just gimme the top four big ticket items, coach”.

well this needs to change. he’s getting paid a lot of money and has a lot of peoples fortunes and hopes riding on his fair-weather performances.

Harry is an even bigger choker in my opinion. has a serious case of the yips and needs to stop lock snaps when it isn’t the right kick.

one goal in the last quote would have silenced the collingwood crowd and gone a long way to sealing it. one goal. we need a methodical system that doesn’t involve long bombs to contested marks to shift into when the tempo is too frenetic or we need to work down the clock. it’s been missing all year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Such dumb footballers. Did we do any video work and lessons learned after last week? I'm not going to watch it again but some of the decision making in the last 5 minutes was just horrifying - no situational/game awareness. I hope it burns.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:16 am 
John James

daggs001 wrote:
Forgot LOB and his forward 50 entry when he again waited and waited and waited, than sat it on Motlop's head when he is up against two talls.
The match committee got it right two weeks running. But we just couldn't have the footy smarts to get it done.

i’ve talked about that kick to motlop against a much taller opponent before. they do it every game and it’s a guarantied turnover. what is going on with the forwards coaches?! get Hamill in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:20 am 
Harry Vallence

Does anyone else think our ruck division is a real worry? Yes, I know Pitto has been injured, TDK is still learning, but geeze, so often we get spanked in the ruck. We can't keep playing SOS in the ruck, well ruin him. And I get chills at the thought of Crippa rucking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:22 am 
Bob Chitty

Pitto isn't right ...at times he looked like he was running in wet cement while others where running on pavement ...

We looked better with so's in the ruck.

For mine, he comes in when we play brutes ie Sean Darcy .. otherwise it's tdk and Sos for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:26 am 
Harry Vallence

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Pitto isn't right ...at times he looked like he was running in wet cement while others where running on pavement ...

We looked better with so's in the ruck.

For mine, he comes in when we play brutes ie Sean Darcy .. otherwise it's tdk and Sos for me.

Grab Goldstein for 2023 and put TDK on whatever legal growth hormones we can find for 12 months and chain him to the weights bench

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next