Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our poster, rhino, was certainly on the money re 4 players doing fitness tests and Walsh going back to rooms early seemingly failing to get up.

Cerra, Marchbank & Weitering all played under an injury cloud.

Walsh drops out of team before the game starts joining are best mids, Hewett and Kennedy on our injury list.

Our ruckman, Pittonet was obviously not 100%.

The team never complained and looked like they got on the job and the game was won till.....I can't.

We needed speed but Cuningham didn't even fire a shot this season, Philp never got going after having his ribs smashed in the Tigers praccy game, and Honey missed the preseason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Our poster, rhino, was certainly on the money re 4 players doing fitness tests and Walsh going back to rooms early seemingly failing to get up.

Cerra, Marchbank & Weitering all played under an injury cloud.

Walsh drops out of team before the game starts joining are best mids, Hewett and Kennedy on our injury list.

Our ruckman, Pittonet was obviously not 100%.

The team never complained and looked like they got on the job and the game was won till.....I can't.

We needed speed but Cuningham didn't even fire a shot this season, Philp never got going after having his ribs smashed in the Tigers praccy game, and Honey missed the preseason.

Bondi I for one am looking forward to 2023. Voss and co must aim high ...... top 4 finish..
P.S. Enjoyed your posts this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
1 point, 0.6 % ....

It should be written on the walls, written on the wrist before every game ...

That is the margin between playing finals or not

Every contest must be won, every goal defended with that on mind, every shot at goal composes with that in mind

It's great advice. You should send it to the coach, if the club will forward it on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stefchook wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
1 point, 0.6 % ....

Every contest must be won, every goal defended with that on mind, every shot at goal composes with that in mind

It's great advice. You should send it to the coach, if the club will forward it on.
I'm struggling...
But this is a great idea..
On every jumper and training top next year..
1, 0.6%
Remind them that EVERY action has consequences! ... Every score is important!

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I reckon we should trade for Matt Kennedy at GWS. Lots of upside.

Get George Hewett from Sydney as a free agent. Underappreciated gun who's being squeezed out due to cap pressure.

And use our first pick on the Walsh kid. He could be anything.

Get those three into our midfield and anything could happen! :smile:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:
Effes wrote:
This is madness. Yes it's one moment in the game but still...

https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/15 ... 2577344512

Darcy Moore is back as a spare, Cameron is back as a spare.

Durdin is on his own.

What does Charlie do? Bombs it long to the two spares.

Watch the rest of the clip for how disorganised Carlton were behind the ball.

To me that was so much worse than the kick to the pocket a short time later. You could see the other one was just a breakdown in communciation between the leading player and the kicker. This one from Charles was just an up and under hoof. I don't want them to take the joy out of his game - but I really hope he actually does some video review of this (and other) moments which killed us.
This had been happening all year FFS.... Seems almost every goal against us was like this... we get pulled into the forward line and are outnumbered AND outpaced out back...
Why would the last minute of a tight game be different.... WTF are they practising

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

Has there been any follow up on Mason Cox's sideways knee to try to hurt/block Pittonet in the first quarter?
They showed it during the second quarter but then nothing. I would have thought that would be up for match review panel?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

It's been 24 hours and it's not getting better for me, I think it's worse now :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
1 point, 0.6 % ....

Except Durdin. Durdin's should say "Top of the @#$%&! goal square!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

OK here goes. Had to wait a day to post my reflections of the game, just couldn't think or feel a thing last night.

Firstly, call me a shit supporter, but I left early. Very early. I'd said to myself through the week that I wouldn't be able to cope if it was close at 3q time & as I saw it, 24 points was too close for comfort. In fact even though we looked great in the 3rd, I had no confidence at all. That's what this footy team has done to me. Something about us & 4-5 goal margins just makes me vomit. As does the thought of sharing the Eltham line with the Collingwood supporters. So I said farewell to bluehammer & went on my way - but stopped in standing room on the way out & had a bit of a look at the start of the 4th.

I saw Charlie take a mark then play on & hook it around his body instead of taking the set shot. My memory is sketchy but I think the ball rebounded up to their forward line & Ash Johnson golaed. Margin 17 points or something. Charlie reminded me of Jarad Waite yesterday. A good player who lairised & just did dumb shit instead of using his powers appropriately. That bit gave me the sinking feeling. It was the Nick Reiwoldt 2010 moment of the game.

So the remainder of the game I just followed score updates on my phone on my way home. That was it. Refresh, check again. Saw we kicked a bunch of behinds in a row. Then I got the final notification when I was at Clifton Hill. So that last period of horror that you guys have disected on here - Charlie, Durdin, Fish, Obrien - I never saw, & never will. I'm off media for a week.

We moved the ball too slowly in the first half. I said to bh at the game, have a look at how quickly Coll just play on as soon as they get it. It was so obvious. Geelong moved the ball slowly for 2 years & finally worked out they needed to change things up, & have, so I am confident we can get this sorted. The Cats have largely changed their ways with output from new personel, like Close, Atkins, Stengle, so I don't see any reason why we can't pull the same moves given a number of our players back from injury are going to be like virtual recruits next year. Plus with the addition of a pacy mid or two from the draft or another club.

I was thinking last night, was there an incident where Jack Elliot insulted indigenous Australia & someone responded by putting a curse on Princes Park? Or was that Alan McCalistar? Memory is sketchy, but if we have had a curse put on us, would that seriously surprise anyone. It wasn't just this & the Dees game. It was the Dogs trailing Hawthorn by 3 goals & coming back. And going further, effing GWS taking it right up to the Dogs the week before then losing by a goal.

Someone else, bluedog I think, referenced the 2000 Bombers & how they responded to 99. As gutting as it is to look to that club as an example to follow at anything, maybe there is something in it. They came out the following year on a flower mission. Didn't sing the song after any victory until the GF. We need that level of hurt & obsession but I'm still not sure if we are ready yet. Even though yesterday was like a final, it wasn't a final. We haven't played in or won a final yet. That said, the Cats of 2005 were written off after Nick Davis. I remember Rex saying on radio that night that they'd never win a flag. Richmond 3 EF losses in a row & looked set to throw in the towel, got up, & bang.

That Fremantle coach, Longmuir (who I reckon is great) pulled his whole club into line midyear. Said they'd all got ahead of themselves. I think he was including supporters in there too, & it seemed to work. I just wonder if maybe that would not have been a bad thing for Vossy or someone to do also, even though it wouldn't have been very original. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but these decades of utter shitness have made us get our jollies over small things, baby steps, 2 point wins over Hawthorn etc. The bar needs to be set much higher next year.

Credit to Cerra for his game. Very professional 4 quarter effort. Got ourselves a beauty there. And even though he is struggling, I thought Pitto had a good 3rd quarter.

This was our 99 prelim in reverse, to an extent. OK there was no GF on the line, & we weren't red hot favourites, but flower. One point to Collingwood, with so much at stake. They have decades worth of revenge to spew at us & we are just going to have to cop it, until we properly do something about it. That's the nature of this game, you kind of have to take the hit when it's your turn I guess. It sucks. Footy sucks some times.

My 10 y.o. son called me after the game & was just lifeless, & asked me to come over for a cuddle. I needed one too! So over I went, & I guess, being a parent, it helped put the game in a little perspective. I simply had to put on a brave face & get over my shit & not sook it up too much in front of my 10 y.o. Being a dad makes a lot of things that used to matter so much, seem just that little bit more inconsequential than they once did. OK I'm really reaching there, but hopefully you get my drift. Reckon Sam Docherty would be filthy at not bringing it home for the club he's loved all his life, but he could probably tell us all a bit about perspective also.

I hope everyone is doing as OK as one possibly can. If anyone wants to chat, or even catch up & do meth or peptides or something, drop me a PM. I'll try my best.

I'll always believe in the greatness of Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Onya CK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
OK here goes. Had to wait a day to post my reflections of the game, just couldn't think or feel a thing last night.

Firstly, call me a shit supporter, but I left early. Very early. I'd said to myself through the week that I wouldn't be able to cope if it was close at 3q time & as I saw it, 24 points was too close for comfort. In fact even though we looked great in the 3rd, I had no confidence at all. That's what this footy team has done to me. Something about us & 4-5 goal margins just makes me vomit. As does the thought of sharing the Eltham line with the Collingwood supporters. So I said farewell to bluehammer & went on my way - but stopped in standing room on the way out & had a bit of a look at the start of the 4th.

I saw Charlie take a mark then play on & hook it around his body instead of taking the set shot. My memory is sketchy but I think the ball rebounded up to their forward line & Ash Johnson golaed. Margin 17 points or something. Charlie reminded me of Jarad Waite yesterday. A good player who lairised & just did dumb shit instead of using his powers appropriately. That bit gave me the sinking feeling. It was the Nick Reiwoldt 2010 moment of the game.

So the remainder of the game I just followed score updates on my phone on my way home. That was it. Refresh, check again. Saw we kicked a bunch of behinds in a row. Then I got the final notification when I was at Clifton Hill. So that last period of horror that you guys have disected on here - Charlie, Durdin, Fish, Obrien - I never saw, & never will. I'm off media for a week.

We moved the ball too slowly in the first half. I said to bh at the game, have a look at how quickly Coll just play on as soon as they get it. It was so obvious. Geelong moved the ball slowly for 2 years & finally worked out they needed to change things up, & have, so I am confident we can get this sorted. The Cats have largely changed their ways with output from new personel, like Close, Atkins, Stengle, so I don't see any reason why we can't pull the same moves given a number of our players back from injury are going to be like virtual recruits next year. Plus with the addition of a pacy mid or two from the draft or another club.

I was thinking last night, was there an incident where Jack Elliot insulted indigenous Australia & someone responded by putting a curse on Princes Park? Or was that Alan McCalistar? Memory is sketchy, but if we have had a curse put on us, would that seriously surprise anyone. It wasn't just this & the Dees game. It was the Dogs trailing Hawthorn by 3 goals & coming back. And going further, effing GWS taking it right up to the Dogs the week before then losing by a goal.

Someone else, bluedog I think, referenced the 2000 Bombers & how they responded to 99. As gutting as it is to look to that club as an example to follow at anything, maybe there is something in it. They came out the following year on a flower mission. Didn't sing the song after any victory until the GF. We need that level of hurt & obsession but I'm still not sure if we are ready yet. Even though yesterday was like a final, it wasn't a final. We haven't played in or won a final yet. That said, the Cats of 2005 were written off after Nick Davis. I remember Rex saying on radio that night that they'd never win a flag. Richmond 3 EF losses in a row & looked set to throw in the towel, got up, & bang.

That Fremantle coach, Longmuir (who I reckon is great) pulled his whole club into line midyear. Said they'd all got ahead of themselves. I think he was including supporters in there too, & it seemed to work. I just wonder if maybe that would not have been a bad thing for Vossy or someone to do also, even though it wouldn't have been very original. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but these decades of utter shitness have made us get our jollies over small things, baby steps, 2 point wins over Hawthorn etc. The bar needs to be set much higher next year.

Credit to Cerra for his game. Very professional 4 quarter effort. Got ourselves a beauty there. And even though he is struggling, I thought Pitto had a good 3rd quarter.

This was our 99 prelim in reverse, to an extent. OK there was no GF on the line, & we weren't red hot favourites, but flower. One point to Collingwood, with so much at stake. They have decades worth of revenge to spew at us & we are just going to have to cop it, until we properly do something about it. That's the nature of this game, you kind of have to take the hit when it's your turn I guess. It sucks. Footy sucks some times.

My 10 y.o. son called me after the game & was just lifeless, & asked me to come over for a cuddle. I needed one too! So over I went, & I guess, being a parent, it helped put the game in a little perspective. I simply had to put on a brave face & get over my shit & not sook it up too much in front of my 10 y.o. Being a dad makes a lot of things that used to matter so much, seem just that little bit more inconsequential than they once did. OK I'm really reaching there, but hopefully you get my drift. Reckon Sam Docherty would be filthy at not bringing it home for the club he's loved all his life, but he could probably tell us all a bit about perspective also.

I hope everyone is doing as OK as one possibly can. If anyone wants to chat, or even catch up & do meth or peptides or something, drop me a PM. I'll try my best.

I'll always believe in the greatness of Carlton.

You're a shit supporter!

With 10min to go in the last, I told my wife to take the girls outside to play because things were probably going to get ugly. After the siren went, I just walked outside and sat on the porch by myself for 30-40min like an empty shell. My 4yo daughter walked out and said "Daddy, did the Mighty Blues win?" and I almost teared up. I then realised that I was being a sulky man child and needed to snap out of it. It does bring things into perspective for sure. That being said, I am still totally livid 24 hours later. What a devastating loss given everything that was at play, especially against the arch enemy that have had every bit of luck go their way all year. Just gut-wrenching. :cry:

....BTW I have PM'ed you about the meth and peptides. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
Has there been any follow up on Mason Cox's sideways knee to try to hurt/block Pittonet in the first quarter?
They showed it during the second quarter but then nothing. I would have thought that would be up for match review panel?

You do know who the MRO is dont you?

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:58 pm 
Garry Crane

17th Premiership wrote:

It should be report! Not a good look for the game.
Also the sling tackle on Cerra by I think Sidebottom?? On the 50m. Yes he wasn’t concussed but looked like intent to me.
It seems it’s all been swept under the carpet. I would love nothing more than these clowns to miss a final.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

Perspective

https://www.reuters.com/subjects/natural-disasters

Just sayin' :eek: :eek:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:22 pm 
Garry Crane

CK95 wrote:
If anyone wants to chat, or even catch up & do meth or peptides or something, drop me a PM. I'll try my best.

Seeing as I work for a peptide production - in Tullamarine off all places - I'm happy to provide the good stuff :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

My dad and I actually blame CK for the loss. Like a cricket team closing in on a remarkable test victory, you don't change seats!

I was strangely calm. I did throw my footy record on the ground when durdin kicked to the pocket, but I - like CK - did feel 5mins into the last that we'd lose.

If we think that, how can it not cross the minds of the players?

But today the sun came up. Like many I haven't gone near footy media. It hurts, but not as much as I think it does for others. I went home and watched west ham lose 2-nil at home to Brighton. Sport and me don't mix.

I genuinely think we are a much better side than 9th, think that some sides above us aren't actually that good, and we do have a discernable game plan, DNA and cohesion that whilst inconsistent will eventually stand up in big games.

We need to improve two huge parts of our game. Ball movement and turnovers. Long down the line buys us contests but we really need to improve our outside ball use and movement.

But yeah. I'm OK. Disappointed, but OK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

A most interesting read, CK.

Yes...surprised you would have left at 3/4 time. For me, the hopeful bliss of beating this mob would have kept me there till the end. But I can’t talk; I remember switching off the TV during the ‘99 prelim!

I was physically shaking during the game. I decided to watch it at my local tavern for fear of what the neighbours (one of them being a Collingwood supporter) may have heard me say, or what condition the TV may have ended up in. I was pacing backwards and forwards in the tavern during the last few minutes.

But as you’ve mentioned, Doc’s story puts things in greater perspective.

And yes, GWS went oh so close... just our luck for Toby Greene not to play in that game!!!

And Cox’s actions must be dealt with.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

An I wrong to think that we did move the ball quickly in the first half of the season?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next