Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:01 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
I'd keep the same 22, even though I would love dearly to drop Newnes and Owies.
Even if Cerra is fit I would be leaning towards keeping Doc and Setterfield onball.
Pies move the ball at a blistering pace on the rebound and our midfield has been slow all year, Cerra doesn't make it quicker, Doc does.
Keep the 22 and lay down the challenge to that 22, to right the wrongs.

I though Doc started at some centre bounces but always went back to defence

Really liked seeing Setterfield back on ball. That’s his spot and his is very clever inside and tougher than people realise

One thing Voss will really need to work out next year is how we balance our midfield. Lots of bulls but little dash.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hopefully Voss & Co are scrutinising the Swans Pies game and will implement the Swans template to beat Pies.
They suffocated the Pies' dangerous forwards weapons Mihocek and Elliot.
And set up really well to stiffle the Pies' rebound.
The Pies' game plan is brilliant because it is perfectly tailored to their personnel.
While they have some fine players in there they do not have one of the best midfields and don't rely on clearances as a strength.
They also don't have absolute stand out key forwards, with the small Elliot their best forward.
Their strength is their defense.
So McRae has built a very shrewd game plan where they load the backline creating an incredibly dense cluster of Collingwood players making it really hard for the opposition to score.
As a consequence they are always in games.
While they lost yesterday the reality is they were still in the game late in the match despite having only kicked 4 goals.
So the defensive game style keeps them in games.
That's why they have won so many tight games this year often with their key onballers not getting high possessions.
Then when they get possession of the ball they run forward of the play with incredible speed.
The game winning goal against Essendon* was amazing. Yes Ess didn't set up well to defend the transition but regardless the Pies' dare and speed was incredible.
This forward game style of rebounding with electric speed and dare allows their moderately tooled forwards to impact on the game.
This overall game plan is all about maximising their strength (defense) and allowing the lesser parts of their game to shine.
That's why I really worry about this weekend's game.
Even if we do turn up mentally I worry we just aren't that well organised yet as a team (the last 2 mins the other night is all the evidence you need). Voss & Co have their work cut out trying to implement a game style that will a. allow us to kick a game winning score, and b. stop the Pies' rebound.
Part of our problem this year is our strength (Harry and Charlie) is also our achilles heel as we don't have enough avenues to goal. That's why it was good to see Martin hit the scoreboard last weekend. Reality is Durdin and Motlop are very inexperienced small forwards and let's be honest Owies is slow for a small forward. And JSOS keeps getting thrown all over the side it must be hard for him to impact as a forward when he doesn't know if he is to play forward or ruck or even down back as he was late last weekend or even if he is going to be in the 22.
And then there is the ruck. The Pies as good as they have been this year are not one of the best clearance sides but our rucks are all over the shop. Hasn't helped that Voss keeps chopping and changing the rucks.
To win this weekend we will need to ...
- hopefully perform better in the ruck than we have been to hopefully allow Cripps etc to win some vital clearances from the centre
- this then allows Harry and Charlie the best chance to hit the scoreboard
- when the ball is in our F50 we have to set up so well to stop the Pies' inevitable frantic rebound
- and part of this will be finding a way to stop Mihocek and Elliot

In 2023 Voss will need to find other ways for us to score and Motlop and Durdin getting more experience will help
But this coming weekend we really are going to need Harry and Charlie to have good days I reckon
Because once the Pies rebound I really worry

Reality is when Harry and Charlie have good days we win.
When they don't we tend to lose.

Key will be seeing how Syd suffocated the Pies' forwards but I worry the narrow SCG helped Syd achieve this
The wider expanses of the G will be harder to defend
Was it a positional thing the Swans did? They seemed to be able to cut the Pies' rebound off at the knees better than any side has done for 11 weeks
If it is a positional masterstroke by Longmire then hopefully we can replicate that
I think our wings ability to rush back and defend is going to be massive
Cottrell becomes vital, as does the flawed LOB
We are simply going to have to be so switched on to defend once the Pies defenders get the ball in their grubby hands

Reality is even if we get a lead going into the 4th the Pies will take the game on running with dare and going through the corridor.
Will our players be able to hold their nerve better than they did last weekend?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:22 am 
Harry Vallence

Good post Paddy. A fit and more experienced forward line with Charlie McKay Durdin Motlop Martin as the core would trouble anyone

I think our defence is very good especially by adding a fit Williams & Boyd. It’s now about getting the right midfield mix.

Choosing how we use Cripps Walsh Kennedy Hewett Setterfield Cerra Carroll Kemp Cottrell Pittonet TDK Docherty O’Brien Fisher isn’t going to be easy

Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Even if Cerra is fit I would be leaning towards keeping Doc and Setterfield onball.
Pies move the ball at a blistering pace on the rebound and our midfield has been slow all year, Cerra doesn't make it quicker, Doc does.

Really liked seeing Setterfield back on ball. That’s his spot and his is very clever inside and tougher than people realise

One thing Voss will really need to work out next year is how we balance our midfield. Lots of bulls but little dash.

Yes we are way too slow in there

Doc's initial 1 to 2 meter speed is so much better than Kennedy and Cerra and Cripps and Hewett, and that speed in tight at stoppages is massive.

Geoff Southby

For this weekend:
Sydney should beat Saints
Freo should beat GWS

If:
Brisbane beat Melbourne and we beat Collingwood (or the Dogs lose) we play Melbourne again week 1.

Melbourne beat Brisbane and we beat Collingwood (or the Dogs lose) we play Brisbane at Gabba week 1.

Hawks win and we lose we are playing Freo at Optus week 1.

So:
Even if the Dogs lose we still need to beat Collingwood but we might also need the Bombers to beat Richmond so we potentially don't have to go to the Gabba.

The biggest issue I can see for this weekend is Collingwood need to win to make top 4.

The team needs to give it everything this weekend.

No changes for me, coaches need to show belief in the group on the weekend.

Last edited by Sidefx on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:28 am 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Did everyone get a ticket?
This game is going to be huge for both clubs.

I have a spare ticket. Level 1 Wing, Row X
You would have to sit with a lot of Carlton supporters though.
PM me if interested.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Yes we are way too slow in there

Doc's initial 1 to 2 meter speed is so much better than Kennedy and Cerra and Cripps and Hewett, and that speed in tight at stoppages is massive.

Agree. Made a difference

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 am 
Harry Vallence

I'm quietly confident that the Hawks will beat Bulldigs down in Tassie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:46 am 
Geoff Southby

Charlie needs to play his best game this year if he wants to win the Coleman.
He's only 3 in front of Cameron and they have West Coast at GMHBA.
I reckon they'll be feeding him the goals too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

talk of playing Williams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:47 am 
Ken Hunter

Sidefx wrote:
For this weekend:
Freo should beat GWS

If:
Brisbane beat Melbourne and we beat Collingwood (or the Dogs lose) we play Melbourne again week 1.

Melbourne beat Brisbane and we beat Collingwood (or the Dogs lose) we play Brisbane at Gabba week 1.

So:
Even if the Dogs lose we still need to beat Collingwood but we might also need the Bombers to beat Richmond so we potentially don't have to go to the Gabba.

The biggest issue I can see for this weekend is Collingwood need to win to make top 4.

Is there no way we play Collingwood week 1?

And I believe Geelong are the only team assured of where they finish?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

The shitshow at Essendon* currently happening is the best thing for us, the game will not be hyped up to oblivion all week long now as the major story will be all about their new coach and board.

This should take up the news cycle until Thursday at least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

missnaut wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
For this weekend:
Freo should beat GWS

If:

So:

Is there no way we play Collingwood week 1?

And I believe Geelong are the only team assured of where they finish?

If GWS beat Freo or Essendon* beat Richmond it's a possibility

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Traveller86 wrote:
The shitshow at Essendon** currently happening is the best thing for us, the game will not be hyped up to oblivion all week long now as the major story will be all about their new coach and board.

This should take up the news cycle until Thursday at least.

Dead cat bounce and Essendon* beat Richmond a possibility

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:45 pm 
John James

Sydney Blue wrote:
talk of playing Williams

https://www.afl.com.au/news/823453

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
talk of playing Williams

I am a Williams fan but that would be crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
I thought Newman was entire H&A season?

You're right on that.

The cut "required a procedure to close the wound that will take an extended period of time to heal.
At this stage he is expected to be unavailable for the remainder of the home-and-away season"

That was the report on 2nd August.

Game is on 21st August.

I guess I'm being hopeful that 22 days would be long enough to close the wound and ready to play. Could be the spot which makes things awkward.

I guess I should'nt get my hopes up.

I like Doc in tyhe middle and I would like Newnes AND LOB replaced. Stocker surprised me. :thumbsup:

I wonder how he's been keeping fit. Pool I guess?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:51 pm 
John James

a week or so ago i asked who can play a hard tagging role other than Hewitt (who’s injured).

the answers that came back all said Cottrell. but he’s too valuable as a speedster and wingman with some wing craft to waste as a hard tag unless it’s on other wingman.

i think we have a new tagged who can hurt oppositions the other way with kicks to Harry and Charlie if given a little space. much taller than Hoggie was ;-). and he can play tough inside the contests

ironic that Setters gets form and discovered as AFL quality only when all of our starting four mids are out except for the captain. imagine if Crippa hadn’t have played!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Sydney Blue wrote:
talk of playing Williams

Please no, way too risky, let him prove his form and fitness in the vfl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

Out: Stocker O'Brien
In: Williams Cerra

Williams will come in and play small defender and lock down on someone. His experience will help
Cerra back into the midfield rotation

B: Williams Young McGovern
HB: Marchbank Weitering Saad
C: Cottrell Cripps Fisher
HF: Martin McKay Owies
F: Durdin Curnow Silvagni
Foll: Pittonet Walsh Docherty
Int: Setterfield Cerra Newnes Motlop

Last edited by FarmerBlue on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next