Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:31 pm 
Robert Walls

Apparently Owies was heading to the bench with cramping in both legs when he was passed the ball. I suspect that’s why his kick was crap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What about his other kicks?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:43 pm 
Robert Walls

I’m referencing the one that killed us. His others weren't as fatal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:10 pm 
John James

Steve_C7 wrote:
We were never going to do much damage in finals, but what we needed from finals is the experience. The last 2 weeks are effectively elimination finals, the boys will learn that actions and more importantly non actions have consequences.

Our backline looks like it has been patched together (which it has all season) and sometimes the structures fall apart. Voss needs another preseason with this group now understanding the strength and weaknesses of each player.

Our forward line connection has been poor all year and it has been the brilliance and talent of Harry and Charlie that has got us over the line. We are only running at 50% of what we are capable of scoring. Same thing happened at Geelong when Cameron first arrived, look how well they work together this year, no reason we can’t do the same next year.

Voss has been the most impressive first year coach for a long time, forget McRae he has taken over a very experienced and mature side with well drilled defensive skills. We are finally on the right track and I just pray the Voss gets a better run with injuries next year to show what he can really do

Like. Need some positive perspective after that experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:33 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Saad could have collected Owies poor backpass and booted it 55m into the stand. 18 behind the ball. We win.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

club29 wrote:
Saad could have collected Owies poor backpass and booted it 55m into the stand. 18 behind the ball. We win.

Melksham would have marked it.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought we didn't get the rub of the green as far as the umps went. Holding/dropping the ball interpretation was mystifying.

The worst was the blocking free against us after McKay had taken the mark 20 metres out from goal in the 2nd Qtr. Dees have built a flag winning defence based on this strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

I thought we didn't get the rub of the green as far as the umps went. Holding/dropping the ball interpretation was mystifying.

The worst was the blocking free against us after McKay had taken the mark 20 metres out from goal in the 2nd Qtr. Dees have built a flag winning defence based on this strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Docherty and Setterfield had 7 of our 10 centre clearances. What odds would you have received on that prior to the game?

Agree - both moves where winners. Liked Setterfield's tag assignment as well. That was a big plus, time to keep evolving this option.
Hopefully if Cerra is fit, he can play wing with Walsh on the other and that might fix another couple of issues - as our wingman just don't get enough ball.
Stockers inclusion allowed Doc to be pushed into the midfield but we need Newman or Williams in to replace Newnes this week.

This always confuses me, it's almost like we want to have a problem with our wings.

Arguably the leagues best wingmen:
Ed Langdon: Disp. - 13, Disp. Efficiency - 46.2%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 0, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 244, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 89% game time.
James Jordon: Disp. - 17, Disp. Efficiency - 64.7%, Cont. Pos - 4, Tackles - 3, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 177, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 84% game time.

Ours:
LOB: Disp. - 12, Disp. Efficiency - 50%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 4, Clearances - 0, Meters gained - 173, Defensive Pressure acts - 4 and 74% game time.
Cotts: Disp. - 18, Disp. Efficiency - 66.7%, Cont. Poss - , Tackles - 2, Clearances - 2, Meters gained - 353, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 92% game time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Sorry, been busy.

MVP: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37600

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
club29 wrote:

Quality post :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:23 am 
Craig Bradley

bluedog wrote:
club29 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 am 
Geoff Southby

Fenwick Snap wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
We were never going to do much damage in finals, but what we needed from finals is the experience. The last 2 weeks are effectively elimination finals, the boys will learn that actions and more importantly non actions have consequences.

Our backline looks like it has been patched together (which it has all season) and sometimes the structures fall apart. Voss needs another preseason with this group now understanding the strength and weaknesses of each player.

Our forward line connection has been poor all year and it has been the brilliance and talent of Harry and Charlie that has got us over the line. We are only running at 50% of what we are capable of scoring. Same thing happened at Geelong when Cameron first arrived, look how well they work together this year, no reason we can’t do the same next year.

Voss has been the most impressive first year coach for a long time, forget McRae he has taken over a very experienced and mature side with well drilled defensive skills. We are finally on the right track and I just pray the Voss gets a better run with injuries next year to show what he can really do

Like. Need some positive perspective after that experience.

A hard learnt lesson is a lesson learnt well ................thats the way Steve , take something out of it . Just continue to learn and grow from the experience . Tough times never last , tough people do .............I like it Steve .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:33 am 
Wayne Johnston

club29 wrote:

Actually when I saw Saad had the ball in his hand I thought we were safe, he’s such a good user and I expected him to pass sideways or backwards, if there was any unmarked Carlton player on the field he would find them. I’m sure I saw someone free just behind him on the defensive 50.

But no, he bombs it long to a contest, for heavens sake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 am 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
club29 wrote:

Actually when I saw Saad had the ball in his hand I thought we were safe, he’s such a good user and I expected him to pass sideways or backwards, if there was any unmarked Carlton player on the field he would find them. I’m sure I saw someone free just behind him on the defensive 50.

Yep, that's exactly what I seen also (I'm not willing to rewatch the game to verify :grin: )
It confused the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 am 
Wayne Johnston

Sidefx wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
club29 wrote:

Yep, that's exactly what I seen also (I'm not willing to rewatch the game to verify :grin: )
It confused the hell out of me.

Booting it into the stands would have been better than the risky long bomb. Would take 10-15 seconds to get it back. Longer if a Carlton fan gathered it. Still 3 kicks from goal. 18 blues set up behind the ball. 90seconds left two scores required.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Considering Owies’s kick put him under a bit of pressure, I was OK with Saad’s decision to go long up the line. We had players in position to mark it. If Walsh stays down, Harry marks it, then soaks up 20 seconds before kicking deep into the pocket. We force it out of bounds, cause a repeat stoppage or two, game over. We win by a point.

The other ‘what if’ moments in the last 40 seconds - Young marks instead of getting falconed and Motlop gets a (soft) free kick.

Anyway, it’s gone now. Our fate is in our own hands on Sunday.

We’ve only won 4 games since round 10, so it’s hard to argue that we deserve to play finals. But even if we don’t make it, as I said in another thread, there’s still more positives than negatives to take from season 2022.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah I thought Saad's kick was just fine - directed to a contest that was very much in our favour, but in the heat of the moment our boys didn't communicate. It happens.

If he'd deliberately gone OOBOTF and we'd lost anyway, he'd have to go into witness protection!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Like everyone I was shattered by the loss. But now with a couple of days to recover I'm feeling pretty happy about next year.

Lots of players missing due to injuries, a high pressure finals type game and we nearly pinched it. Plenty to take out of that loss.

I hope we play finals this year, I hope we spank Carringbush, but it's no biggie if we don't.

I can see we are on our way now, there's a lot of growth will come out of playing in games like that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:25 pm 
John James

i had a good feeling about this game all week.

dees have been patchy and a long way off their best apart from the game against freo in R20.

usually i listen to the game and do whatever it takes to turn players up and increase their energy. this time i went to memorial for a guy i knew in the 80s/90s at a bar that my old friends had organised and just monitored the score. we were hanging around most of the game so i didn’t hit the panic button. wish i should have left before the fourth quarter and help ice the game :-)

a podcast came up for the other day running laps around princess park and the dude hosting it played bass for James Brown when JB was at his peak but the bassist was only a teenager.

https://music.apple.com/au/station/steve-lacy/ra.1636783386

he talked about the need for both positive and negative reinforcement when you are learning your learn craft. he talked about the first time james brown looked to him during performance and said “you’re on the one” it was an amazing boost to his confidence. but of course he got plenty of dispatches from JB telling him he “wasn’t on the one”. and he said that’s very important for any young player becuase you go away and practice tha much harder. but the love keeps you motivated and positive. i was really nice the way he described it all and i think i heard it after the Brisbane game which we had the bad and the good all in one game. it came on again yesterday so i thought i’d post it here. let’s not forget learning is never smooth sailing as Dons coach Rutton just put it :-)

given we aren’t remotely likely to be winning a GF this year, painful loses like this one to Dees are great lessons to the coaches and players on the path to excellence. Voss called it details in the final minutes. but it’s details all throughout the seasons. why was setters never given a run with in the middle before when it so obvious he plays better in the middle than on the wing? what’s going on with weiters atm? lots of details to work out across the season and in review of last weekend for this must win Pies game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next