Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Cripps FREE TO PLAY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I hear Shane Watson's going to appeal the decision
You don't hear as well as he does.

Those ears miss NOTHINGImage

Could be wrong but think he means the cricketer who was notorious for burning reviews by challenging (mostly unsuccessfully) each time he was out LBW.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

rhino27 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I hear Shane Watson's going to appeal the decision
You don't hear as well as he does.

Those ears miss NOTHINGImage

Could be wrong but think he means the cricketer who was notorious for burning reviews by challenging (mostly unsuccessfully) each time he was out LBW.
Ya reckon?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:26 pm 
Bob Chitty

DesEnglish wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
I think ultimately it was line ball.
I mean who's to say what was going through Cripps' head?
AFL can't say for certain he was thinking BUMP.

I know what was going through AhChee’s head….Crippa’s @ss

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Cripps’ bump was initially graded carless conduct, high impact and high contact, justifying the initial two-week ban.

[Campbell] Brown disagrees, saying he saw it as a football action and that there was nothing illegal about it.

“I was really glad that he got off, I still saw it as a football action,” Brown told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“It was really unfortunate that Callum Ah Chee got hurt in that act, but he didn’t choose to bump, it’s not like the ball was on the ground and he had a decision whether he tackled or bumped, and he chose to bump and hurt him.

“It was in the air, it was a live ball, you’re allowed to run and jump at a player in a marking contest, and I associated it the same as the ball was there to be won and he used his body as a battering ram.

“There’s nothing illegal about that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/12/theres-nothing-illegal-about-that-brown-endorses-cripps-decision/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
“The AFL, the MRO and the Tribunal are always at loggerheads as to what decisions are deemed acceptable under the circumstance.

“It’s embarrassing for the AFL that the MRO can come up with a decision, it gets challenged and more often than not when you got to the Tribunal it gets thrown out.

“The number of cases that have gone to the Tribunal and they’ve thrown the case out means whatever is happening at AFL land with the MRO and then the rest of the football world and the Tribunal sits under that are thinking very differently.

“That needs to change

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/12/theres-nothing-illegal-about-that-brown-endorses-cripps-decision/

Quote:
“I didn’t think it was a bump, I think it’s good technique to be honest, to me a bump is when you curl yourself right up into a ball and try and run through an opponent in a marking contest or a ground ball, this was very different.”

Gleeson argued that it was a "Classic Bump"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluechampion wrote:
Genuinely surprised by this result.

I was too when I heard the news this morning.
There are pretty salty people all over social media today saying what a disgrace it is.
The precedence was set when Willy Rioli got off earlier in year.
I have said it before the outcome of an incident should not be the reason for a player being suspended.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lonny Mac wrote:
I don't know how the AFL think they are going to stop players getting concussed given that the game is a contact sport. Yes they can come down hard on blatant hits like Stewart on Prestia, as they should. But what Crippa's case shows is a player can act within the rules and intent of the game and incidental contacts can occur which result in a player being concussed. I understand that the AFL are probably worried about future litigation by players who suffer long term effects from concussions but the players know that each time they go out to play there is a risk they could get injured. Do the AFL want the game to be contact free? It appears to be the only way they can achieve their goal.

The AFL say long term player health and safety is paramount! But if that's their concern, it doesn't have to be just head injuries. I wonder how many players have suffered debilitating musculoskeletal injuries post their careers, resulting from what happened on the field. They have had to live with the pain and discomfort of these for rest of their life. I haven't heard the AFL say much about that.

The media and opposition supporters have been quick to call foul on Crippa being found not guilty. Even though it has been agreed that he was contesting the ball and only had eyes for the ball. Look at the outcome they say with Ah Chee's concussion. I haven't heard any outrage from these sources about Matthew Kennedy's concussion and broken jaw. In his case it was just one of those unfortunate things that happens sometimes. Fair enough. But what are the AFL going to do about concussions suffered this way? Is Kennedy's concussion somehow not as important as Ah Chee's? God forbid but whose to say Kennedy's concussion proves to have a greater impact on him in later years.
If the AFL want to take the moral high ground on player H & S then they can't be selective. But if they change the rules to stop for what are now just "football acts" then I'm not sure what sort of game we will be left with. It will certainly not been the same game that we have grown up to love.

Brilliant :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

RickJ wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:
I don't know how the AFL think they are going to stop players getting concussed given that the game is a contact sport. Yes they can come down hard on blatant hits like Stewart on Prestia, as they should. But what Crippa's case shows is a player can act within the rules and intent of the game and incidental contacts can occur which result in a player being concussed. I understand that the AFL are probably worried about future litigation by players who suffer long term effects from concussions but the players know that each time they go out to play there is a risk they could get injured. Do the AFL want the game to be contact free? It appears to be the only way they can achieve their goal.

The AFL say long term player health and safety is paramount! But if that's their concern, it doesn't have to be just head injuries. I wonder how many players have suffered debilitating musculoskeletal injuries post their careers, resulting from what happened on the field. They have had to live with the pain and discomfort of these for rest of their life. I haven't heard the AFL say much about that.

The media and opposition supporters have been quick to call foul on Crippa being found not guilty. Even though it has been agreed that he was contesting the ball and only had eyes for the ball. Look at the outcome they say with Ah Chee's concussion. I haven't heard any outrage from these sources about Matthew Kennedy's concussion and broken jaw. In his case it was just one of those unfortunate things that happens sometimes. Fair enough. But what are the AFL going to do about concussions suffered this way? Is Kennedy's concussion somehow not as important as Ah Chee's? God forbid but whose to say Kennedy's concussion proves to have a greater impact on him in later years.
If the AFL want to take the moral high ground on player H & S then they can't be selective. But if they change the rules to stop for what are now just "football acts" then I'm not sure what sort of game we will be left with. It will certainly not been the same game that we have grown up to love.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 am 
Ken Hunter

RickJ wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:

Great post.
I have been wondering how Kennedy was concussed. Has anyone seen the incident? It certainly has been overlooked as if no one cared.
AFL is an impact sport, it always has been. It has been cleaned up compared to how it was decades ago but there will always be injuries.
What annoys me the most about this is it has become a anti Carlton thing. Rioli got off a similar incident but there was no massive outrage over that at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lonny Mac wrote:

What a well thought out and written post. Well done :clap:

What concerned me is the following on post of the Lions website from Ah Chee's father.

"I usually try to post positive comments on this platform but due to recent events I feel compelled to highlight something that still plagues this country - Racism. It has been a turbulent 24 hrs where our family first learned, to our dismay, that the Carlton captain had his 2 weeks suspension thrown out after concussing our son in last weeks AFL match and then we wake up this morning to learn that, because of this incident, and through no fault of his own, our son has been racially vilified. Our son is hurting along with his family and we are disgusted that this continues to happen. We take another step backwards. Racism should not be tolerated in any aspect of life whether it be in school, at work or in the sporting arena and we have to gather the courage to have a voice and stand up to these people. We are proud of you son for making a stand and I hope that if there is a positive that this makes you a stronger young Aboriginal man and that your son will not have to experience the same pain if he decides in the future to pursue this great game of AFL."

IMO Cripps is a very fair player. It was a football incident/accident. The Racism that was directed at Ah Chee is WRONG but to also then indirectly blame Cripps and the decision is IMO very poor and disappointing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

FarmerBlue wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:

What concerned me is the following on post of the Lions website from Ah Chee's father.

"I usually try to post positive comments on this platform but due to recent events I feel compelled to highlight something that still plagues this country - Racism. It has been a turbulent 24 hrs where our family first learned, to our dismay, that the Carlton captain had his 2 weeks suspension thrown out after concussing our son in last weeks AFL match and then we wake up this morning to learn that, because of this incident, and through no fault of his own, our son has been racially vilified. Our son is hurting along with his family and we are disgusted that this continues to happen. We take another step backwards. Racism should not be tolerated in any aspect of life whether it be in school, at work or in the sporting arena and we have to gather the courage to have a voice and stand up to these people. We are proud of you son for making a stand and I hope that if there is a positive that this makes you a stronger young Aboriginal man and that your son will not have to experience the same pain if he decides in the future to pursue this great game of AFL."

IMO Cripps is a very fair player. It was a football incident/accident. The Racism that was directed at Ah Chee is WRONG but to also then indirectly blame Cripps and the decision is IMO very poor and disappointing

You would think that Cripps king hit him behind play going by the crap being written on social media. While we understand his father being upset by racist comments directed at him to blame Cripps in the statement was not necessary.
Cripps is going to be the target of opposition supporters now, watch him get booed tonight and next week.
It was the first time in his career he had been reported and the comments about him are so over the top.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Driving home tonight listening on 3AW football to commentary about Cripps. Obviously they haven’t read the Appeals Board transcripts some of which we have had access to here. Simplistic he hit him in the head should have got 2 weeks. The Appeals Board reversed the tribunal decision on on a procedural fairness legal matter because the Chairman of the Tribunal a lawyer had made an error in law in directing the other members of the tribunal (the jurors) about the decision. This was unfair to Cripps. Tribunals have to follow the law. The Tribunal didn’t follow the law. The Appeals board is only there to appeal an error in law, not about whether Cripps hit him in the head or whether he bumped him or hit him incidentally. Crippa got off on a technicality because the Tribunal didn’t follow the law.

The expert commentators just don’t understand how the process works

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

PS. That Carlton QC Townshend is one smart flower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah but it's the vibe, Rick. It's just... the vibe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

FarmerBlue wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:

Jeez mate. Your son plays AFL he's gonna get KO'd every once in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
Yeah but it's the vibe, Rick. It's just... the vibe.

Hey media. Suffer in yer jocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Lonny Mac wrote:

Jeez mate. Your son plays AFL he's gonna get KO'd every once in a while.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Cripps FREE TO PLAY
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:51 pm 
John James

RickJ wrote:
Driving home tonight listening on 3AW football to commentary about Cripps. Obviously they haven’t read the Appeals Board transcripts some of which we have had access to here. Simplistic he hit him in the head should have got 2 weeks. The Appeals Board reversed the tribunal decision on on a procedural fairness legal matter because the Chairman of the Tribunal a lawyer had made an error in law in directing the other members of the tribunal (the jurors) about the decision. This was unfair to Cripps. Tribunals have to follow the law. The Tribunal didn’t follow the law. The Appeals board is only there to appeal an error in law, not about whether Cripps hit him in the head or whether he bumped him or hit him incidentally. Crippa got off on a technicality because the Tribunal didn’t follow the law.

The expert commentators just don’t understand how the process works

Damian Barrett did a full ten minutes on his podcast with Nat about how wrong the system
is because he wanted a message sent that “the head is sacrosanct” and to his mind all these reviews and appeals just redid the same process over and over once and twice removed from the umpires who actually saw it on the field. idiotic comments.

if he thinks the process is bazaar and pointless, then maybe he wants to study law and reform hundreds of years of legal precedent and tradition… in India under a British colonialist inherited system similar to ours it can take 30 years for a case who work its way through all the higher courts to the highest court possible.

does he understand that these are highly paid professionals and if there was no “procedural fairness” then players would appeal decisions with heavy implications (like a player missing a GF or Brownlow for example) in the civil courts? or in the case of on field punches thrown, even in the criminal courts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16