Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:50 am 
Bob Chitty

17th Premiership wrote:
david31 wrote:
To be even half a chance to win this one we need to come with manic pressure. Effectively that’s what got Collingwood over this mob last week.

Also need to take the game on from half back. Change angles and use the corridor where possible. Melbourne sweat on the long down the line kick with May, Lever and Petty stationed behind the ball. They do squeeze the ground very high when they’ve got the ball locked in their forward 50 so you can get them out the back but only if you’re willing to take the game on through the middle.

Finally we need to get inventive with the midfield. Maybe try JSOS in a midfield role negating a key Melbourne ball winner. Give Motlop or Durdin a couple of CBAs. They will do it with Pickett. Motlop has done it at WAFL level and Durdin was a midfield until u17/18s.

What's a 'CBA'?
(Sorry for my ignorance...)

Centre bounce attendance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:52 am 
Bob Chitty

bluehammer wrote:
Can't be arsed

:lol:
We may be leading this stat for the last two weeks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

david31 wrote:
To be even half a chance to win this one we need to come with manic pressure. Effectively that’s what got Collingwood over this mob last week.

Also need to take the game on from half back. Change angles and use the corridor where possible. Melbourne sweat on the long down the line kick with May, Lever and Petty stationed behind the ball. They do squeeze the ground very high when they’ve got the ball locked in their forward 50 so you can get them out the back but only if you’re willing to take the game on through the middle.

Finally we need to get inventive with the midfield. Maybe try JSOS in a midfield role negating a key Melbourne ball winner. Give Motlop or Durdin a couple of CBAs. They will do it with Pickett. Motlop has done it at WAFL level and Durdin was a midfield until u17/18s.

I agree with this, except being inventive with the midfield.
Let's put the midfielders in the middle, otherwise we will be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Durdin and Motlop are required in the F50 if we are to have any chance of scoring and locking the ball in.
Bring in Hayes/Fog to run midfield with Setters, Dow, Cerra, Fish and Walsh.
And Pitto and Plowman need to come back in also.
The only other thing we could try is Cotters tagging Petracca or Oliver, they would smoke JSOS, he's too slow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:33 am 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
The next two weeks are made for Voss.
Any chance we have will rely on effort, intensity, attitude.
(Plus a few very basic skill and tactical improvements.... ie. hit your targets, lower your eyes, use your teammates, help your teammates...)

But, if we can just find a way to win one of these games and/or the Bulldogs drop one, we'll hopefully be close to full strength and kicking down the door in the first week of the finals!
PS. I do think we'll find a way to win one, and I also think the Bulldogs will drop one.

Like that 17 p . We can actually lose remaining two games and still make finals . But it will come down to percentage and that is why we must not get blown away and have our percentage wrecked . Two honourable losses with narrow margins could see us retain our spot in the eight .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:56 am 
Harry Vallence

17th Premiership wrote:
(Plus a few very basic skill and tactical improvements.... ie. hit your targets, lower your eyes, use your teammates, help your teammates...)

But, if we can just find a way to win one of these games and/or the Bulldogs drop one, we'll hopefully be close to full strength and kicking down the door in the first week of the finals!
PS. I do think we'll find a way to win one, and I also think the Bulldogs will drop one.

How about the saints? I'm worried about the Lions match this week. I think Sydney will beat them in round 23 but the Lions have been pretty poor up
until last weekend so I hope they bring their A game to Marvel on Friday night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:58 am 
Robert Walls

bluechampion wrote:
So, in theory, aside from the selected 23 yesterday, these players are available for selection:

Stocker
Fogarty
Carroll
Kemp
Plowman
Pittonet
Honey
Hayes
Akuei
Mirkov

There will be at least once forced change with Martin going out (you'd think).

So, after yesterday's injury update:

Stocker
Fogarty
Carroll
Kemp
Plowman
Pittonet
Hayes
Akuei
Mirkov

Honey out, but Martin is probably fit... So it's, at minimum, Cripps out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Carlton needs to win one more game to make the eight. They will have to do so without their fearless leader and half their starting midfield … and at least 14 unavailable players pending this week’s medical report.

Solving this midfield rotation is step one.

Quote:
Could the Blues finally unleash Liam Stocker and/or Brodie Kemp on-ball as intended on draft night?

Stocker’s availability is unknown coming off a concussion a fortnight ago, but he has the size and was initially billed as an inside midfielder.

Will Setterfield is another who came to the club as an inside midfielder, but has played almost exclusively on the wing because their hasn’t been a spot available.

He will surely receive his chance on the inside if he retains his spot in the side.

Mid-season draftee Will Hayes has impressed in the VFL at stages on-ball, Jack Carroll has received a few AFL opportunities this year and Lachie Fogarty is another option.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/09/how-does-carlton-replace-key-midfield-trio-for-do-or-die-fortnight-of-footy/

Quote:
Do the Blues get creative with someone like Kemp or potentially Jack Silvagni as a pure on-baller?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

All right.............so who is the SEN person on here. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Like that 17 p . We can actually lose remaining two games and still make finals . But it will come down to percentage and that is why we must not get blown away and have our percentage wrecked . Two honourable losses with narrow margins could see us retain our spot in the eight .

I hope you're right.

With percentage difference between Dogs and Blues is exactly 2% or a score differential of 16 points.

They would have to win each of their games by 4 points, and we would have to lose our two games by 4 points and we would be even.

I dont think GWS (without Toby) and Hawks (in Tassie) can beat Dogs outfit desperate to make Finals, with practically a full list avaiable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:

Someone who knows a bit about the Blues ... Nick Negropontis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

I hope you're right.

With percentage difference between Dogs and Blues is exactly 2% or a score differential of 16 points.

They would have to win each of their games by 4 points, and we would have to lose our two games by 4 points and we would be even.

I dont think GWS (without Toby) and Hawks (in Tassie) can beat Dogs outfit desperate to make Finals, with practically a full list avaiable.

Not mathematically going to happen.
We need to win a game or they need to lose a game, as do the Saints.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

GreatEx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I don't think Voss will. He has always said this is about long term and developing as a group and learning structures. He has barely made a move all year.

I really hope you're wrong. Making the finals is vital for the psychology of the club; maybe the players and coaching staff don't see any huge difference between 7th/8th+elimination final loss vs. 9th/10th, but the latter would be humiliating to fans and the outburst of negativity would cast a pall over the club. I don't see how breaking from the plan for a week to ensure qualification derails the long-term project. If anything, it gives us the confidence that we can respond to any situation.

I think you are wrong here. I don't think making finals is vital for the psychology of the club. The team has improved from last year and I think that is more important for the team and certainly finishing outside the 8 is not humiliating for me as a fan, frustrating but certainly not humiliating. I think everyone in the industry sees where we are going, it's just that everyone got overexcited by our start to the year - so I do not see media feasting on negativity around the club. I'm sure some media will try though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:06 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

BBC?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I don't post often and having been "stuck" in China for the last 3 years so I only get to watch the games on TV.

My thoughts are pretty simple, the last 3 games are like a final series for us. A good chance to see how we would go in the real finals.

By the looks after the game against Brisbane we still have a fair way to go to match the top teams.

I don't want to "fall" into the finals and given the current situation that seems very unlikely, if we did we are only going to get smashed in the 1st week.

The next two weeks are a chance to actually win our way into the finals and then we rightly belong there.

For me this year has been one of good improvement but we still need to improve but there is still a lot of runway for us. This is the first year in a long time I feel the club has finally got a good direction on and off the field.

I know expectations are high given our start to the year but I think most of us would have taken a 12-10 year prior to the season starting, I hope we can get one more win and earn our place in the finals.

I have enjoyed the year so far and looking forward to how we preform in our next two "mini" finals.

I am just a supporter who supports.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

We're all good, apparently Paolo has found a Cripps replacement.

https://twitter.com/paulseb05/status/1556968891045527552

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Sorry, I meant his TC name. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I don't think Voss will. He has always said this is about long term and developing as a group and learning structures. He has barely made a move all year.

I really hope you're wrong. Making the finals is vital for the psychology of the club; maybe the players and coaching staff don't see any huge difference between 7th/8th+elimination final loss vs. 9th/10th, but the latter would be humiliating to fans and the outburst of negativity would cast a pall over the club. I don't see how breaking from the plan for a week to ensure qualification derails the long-term project. If anything, it gives us the confidence that we can respond to any situation.

I agree GreatEx

The club needs to get urgent. The Demons are not without their weaknesses...hope we can throw the magnets around & come up with a strategy to exploit them.

Gonna be extremely tough though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

I hope you're right.

Not mathematically going to happen.
We need to win a game or they need to lose a game, as do the Saints.

Yep. Can pretty much forget getting in on % alone. Need to win one. For the record, I think we will beat the pies in round 23.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

carntheblues wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

I think you are wrong here. I don't think making finals is vital for the psychology of the club. The team has improved from last year and I think that is more important for the team and certainly finishing outside the 8 is not humiliating for me as a fan, frustrating but certainly not humiliating. I think everyone in the industry sees where we are going, it's just that everyone got overexcited by our start to the year - so I do not see media feasting on negativity around the club. I'm sure some media will try though.

Expectations are fluid.

After the Freo win, we were a different group. They lost a bunch of teeth with that INSIPID turn up against St Kilda. The ones that sprang back up off the canvas have only been swinging haymakers since.

Losing to Adelaide in the same way that we lost to St Kilda, Richmond & Geelong took any ‘honourable’ early finish to the season off the table. We’re not only losing the contests, we’re not even in them.

“Same page” has been mentioned in every presser this week. That’s more than just rhetoric, it’s our only hope.

Vossy needs to coach from the bench this week. Similarly, Cripps needs to watch from the coaches box.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If we miss, the way we respond next year will be telling.
Didn't Melbourne fall in a heap a few years and miss after losing their final game against the filth.
They may have even started emailing members on how to purchase finals tickets.
They responded by making the prelim the following year. Then turned to shit again before winning the flag a couple of years later.

I still don't think we'll miss but if we do, lets see the response.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next