Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:19 pm 
Robert Walls

Traveller86 wrote:
keogh wrote:
This is the modern game
If your 5 % off and a team is 100% on you will get beat
By anyone
Some of you don’t understand that
We are a better team than last year
It’s a slow build these days
If we break even or get beaten in the clearances we struggle
As I have said we lack leg speed the the middle of the ground
It’s an issue that needs addressing

It's amazing that Keogh is the most rational and accurate poster here lately.

Well said Keogh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

Last night game highlighted our weaknesses.

Defence - Lewis Young?? Plowman??
Centre Line - Wings?? O'Brien and Setterfield not made for hot tempo footy
Forwards - Rely on our talls to kick us a winning score, prefer to have an even spread, desperately need another forward (mid size or small) that can kick 35+ goals
Midfield - Too one paced, not much pace with Cripps & Kennedy

We've won 4 more games than last year and % has increased by 24%

We have improved which you would expect with a fit Curnow and with the introduction of Hewitt and Cerra.

More work required on list management and game plan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

I know it was tough to watch the game last night. However, can we please have the MVP voting up? The best way to get over the game is to vote and move onto next week. I keep logging on and all I see is a post mortem of the last game. We need to review, but please give us a vote so that those of us that want to move on can.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Because you asked so nicely...

MVP: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37583

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
keogh wrote:
This is the modern game
If your 5 % off and a team is 100% on you will get beat
By anyone
Some of you don’t understand that
We are a better team than last year
It’s a slow build these days
If we break even or get beaten in the clearances we struggle
As I have said we lack leg speed the the middle of the ground
It’s an issue that needs addressing

It's amazing that Keogh is the most rational and accurate poster here lately.

Well said Keogh

Its pretty much spot on. :thumbsup:

Leg speed!!

We've got some leg speed in the locker rooms:

Williams, Boyd make us quicker.
Martin minutes are managed in VFL.
Honey managed.
Cuningham & Philp injured and haven't got going.
Dow doesn't use it.

WE just can't get 'em on the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:18 am 
Adrian Gallagher

CFC8795 wrote:
Welcome to TC Cherry Ripe :thumbsup:

Thanks !
Just a pity I chose a crap week to comment I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:23 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Mickstar wrote:
Funny thing you two blokes mention 1968 coz that was the first Flag i had seen us win . A real windy blustery day . We nearly kicked ourselves out of it with a heap of points . The Club kicked right on from there and has given us HEAPS of enjoyment since . Its hard yakka at the moment but we are on our way .

Had the privilege to attend also, I was petrified a young bespectacled bomber named Blethyn was going to kick that set shot late goal to steal it from us.
Can still see the look on Lofts' face as he screamed at him on the mark.
From memory it sailed oob ?
Minute or 2 later, delirium arrived.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:45 am 
Rod Ashman

grrofunger wrote:
Because you asked so nicely...

MVP: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37583

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cherry Ripe wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Funny thing you two blokes mention 1968 coz that was the first Flag i had seen us win . A real windy blustery day . We nearly kicked ourselves out of it with a heap of points . The Club kicked right on from there and has given us HEAPS of enjoyment since . Its hard yakka at the moment but we are on our way .

Had the privilege to attend also, I was petrified a young bespectacled bomber named Blethyn was going to kick that set shot late goal to steal it from us.
Can still see the look on Lofts' face as he screamed at him on the mark.
From memory it sailed oob ?
Minute or 2 later, delirium arrived.

Welcome aboard Cherry Ripe.
Great memories.
and this is a good season for us to use as our springboard to greatness again.

Blethyn is one player I was in awe of.
That day I knew he was their weapon with that flat punt and 4-5 goals a game.
Delirium was grand that day. I was only 8, but I knew we had beaten the favourites, after nearly kicking ourselves our of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Navy One wrote:
3 games to go to end the home-away season

To play finals we need to win at least one. Lose all 3 and you're out. I'm sure that playing finals (at least 1) was part of the coaching group's KPIs.

The real work for Voss and Co starts tonight. They all need to get off their arses and work like there's no tomorrow. Watch the Adelaide game again and again and see what hard work and commitment is all about. They need to get a group of 22 who are prepared to do that. 4 to 6 tonight aren't up to it.

3 weeks!!!

While I do believe that if we can’t beat Adelaide in such an important match, it is v unlikely that we are capable of producing in the finals, I don’t think your analysis is true: If my calcs are correct, we could lose all remaining games and still make finals. I’d even say it’s more likely that we would still make finals. To miss out, two of StK, Richmond or the Bulldogs need to leapfrog us. StK needs to win 2 games to leapfrog us and they play Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney which seems a stretch.
Richmond has to win 2 and this is doable but not certain with games against Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, and Essendon*.
And the Bulldogs need to win all their matches against the Giants and the Hawks (I’d say 50-50to win all three).
And, we have to lose all our matches.
I believe we are capable of winning at least one of our remaining matches but, to reiterate what most have said, if we can’t win at least one of our last 4, we don’t deserve to be there.
I think we have improved a lot since last season but the biggest challenge for Voss and co is our mental fragility, which has been our biggest weakness for a long long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Votes
Player (Club)
10 Brodie Smith (ADEL)
7 Rory Laird (ADEL)
7 Ben Keays (ADEL)
4 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
1 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
1 Wayne Milera (ADEL)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

It has only taken me a couple of days to get my head around the loss.
We were outplayed well and truly by a team with more desire and speed.
I think Pitto was a mistake but needed to come back at some point.
Dropping JSOS was also a huge mistake to the mindset of the club and it's supporters.
We are just too slow, especially in the middle.
Now is the time to try out Dow to see how he goes, Fisher has good speed but is too light.
We are still short an A grade mid that can tag and has some burst speed, hopefully that can be Dow.
Tex is the kind of player we need up forward, 3 tackles, 3 hit outs, 2 clearances and 345m gained as well as 3 goals. He monstered us, Fev like.
I know I've been shot down before for mentioning this but we should consider trading McKay, he still can't kick a drop punt properly, is one dimensional most of the time and just lacks that presence in the forward line defenders are scarred of every time the ball comes in. His second attempts after a spoil are lacklustre at best.
If he could play more intent like JSOS, he'd be the best forward of his era.

Also it was really upsetting to hear about the spectator with Saad, I thought as a community we were over this foul behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:16 pm 
Garry Crane

more desire and that word again SPEED ,that is our problem from defense and in midfield

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

I've been avoiding the media since that loss, still need a couple of days I think.

We were effing terrible

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

@sidefx I agree with most of your post except this bit about McKay: "just lacks that presence in the forward line defenders are scarred of every time the ball comes in".

I think that's far from the truth, his size makes opponents panic and that's why they constantly infringe him - fortunately for them, umpires don't have the guts to pay the 7 or 8 frees he should probably get every week. But it is true that he would instil fear in the smalls as well as the talls if he put himself about more when ball hits ground. Ad others have noted, he is doing more work with chase down tackles so he is on the right path. I would absolutely not consider trading him. For whom?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
@sidefx I agree with most of your post except this bit about McKay: "just lacks that presence in the forward line defenders are scarred of every time the ball comes in".

I think that's far from the truth, his size makes opponents panic and that's why they constantly infringe him - fortunately for them, umpires don't have the guts to pay the 7 or 8 frees he should probably get every week. But it is true that he would instil fear in the smalls as well as the talls if he put himself about more when ball hits ground. Ad others have noted, he is doing more work with chase down tackles so he is on the right path. I would absolutely not consider trading him. For whom?

100% this.

For whom?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:

No other forward in the game has been awarded more free kicks than Harry.
He averages 1.5 to 2 a game.
I am one of Harry's biggest fans but he has been awarded so many frees and easy goals out of it he plays for them.
You see him often providing the down the line option and he is very rarely out marked if he did the same in the forward 50 instead of looking for the cheapy he would be a lot better off

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Starting to think with Harry it depends what mood he's in on the day. He just didn't seem fired up at all against Adelaide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agreed Syd, that's why I say umps don't have the guts to pay more frees - they'll pay them to a point, then become conscious of how many they could end up getting and start finding reasons not to pay them. At least that's how it seems from my knowledgeable and completely impartial perspective ;). But yeah, he would be a lot better off concentrating 100% on his game and letting the umpires give their 1.5-to-2 free kick quota which won't be extended for all the Oscar worthy performances in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 am 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:

I think that some defenders are fearful of him but not like they would be a Buddy, Tex or Fev who all have great football brains and are/were multi dimensional in their game. Opposition coaches would put two players on those guys in the hope of shutting them down vs they know if they put two on Harry he's cooked, a big difference especially for finals football.
And he has been pretty easy to shut down over the last couple of weeks, he was owned by De Koning in the Geelong game and has only kicked 3 goals in 2 weeks, pretty low output for a power forward.
Don't get me wrong, I like the potential of Harry but he hasn't really developed his game as much this season as you would've hoped.
But the concern is can he or does he want to.
If his only game plan is to attract frees and when he doesn't he gives up, that alone rings alarm bells.
Would you trust Harry 45m out to kick the winning goal or pull his socks up when we are down and like Crippa, take the game on and do some damage to turn it around?

As for trading, I wasn't thinking of a straight swap for a player to be honest, more the no #1 pick from North :lol:
But if we were to have a choice of players I really like Max King, when he puts on some more weight he will be damaging.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next