Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
They’re shot. They’ll miss the 8. I said when we got beaten by St Kilda they didn’t deserve to play finals, my opinion hasn’t changed

It wasn't even St Kilda .... They lost to Paddy Ryder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:04 pm 
John James

listened on the radio as i rode my bike
around trying to get the baggers a will
to win. haven’t watched replay yet. seems like the same old we’ve seen all year. a team prepared to be very physical and bring the heat will cause too many of our players to wilt and our forward transition especially to break down.

embarrassing. box sounds like they were out coached on the Keayes matchup on Saad drawing him out of his normal role and kicking three on him to boot. can’t wait to review this on video. :groan:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
bender wrote:
i think a lot of us, myself included, knew midway through the second quarter that the usual game we were expected to win was going to end up a loss.
outplayed, outcoached, lack of desperation, lack of skills, lack of footy smarts, and a hellova lot of a lack of teamwork
brisbane and melbourne will be looking for percentage, and the collingwanks will be looking at marketing how they destroyed our hopes in the last round
we are pretenders, we had a good run early in the season when teams hadnt cottoned on to our mimdfield strength, but since the round before the bye we have been poor in most facets

voss was outcoached tonight, but overall he has had a good year, though he needs to improve also. if we get smashed in the middle and a team pressures us, the game is over, and there are no major moves. if he doesnt rectify this, 2023 will be another dissapointment
he also needs to install some want and mongrel in to the pea hearted, over paid, dumb as a box of rocks players we had out there tonight
if we manage to scrape in to finals, we will just be making up the numbers

time to give cripps a rest, he is not himself - he has to be carring an injury as well as most of the team again
You do realise Cripps had 41 disposals tonight
With out him we lose by 10 goals
He was the only player that gave a shit

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Sydney....

41 disposals, and he was largely ineffective from how I saw it. 15-20m in the clear and running directly at goal and he hits an Adelaide player directly on the chest, with no other Carlton player in the picture.... Yes its one moment, but IMO, he is our Captain and that type of brain fade isn't what captains do...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

I haven't seen the game, just the stats. I can't understand how we lost and conceded so many i50's when Walsh and Cripps had 81 disposals and we won most key areas.WTF! Not sure I can bring myself to watch the recording

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by killpies on Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Don't watch

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

3 games to go to end the home-away season

To play finals we need to win at least one. Lose all 3 and you're out. I'm sure that playing finals (at least 1) was part of the coaching group's KPIs.

The real work for Voss and Co starts tonight. They all need to get off their arses and work like there's no tomorrow. Watch the Adelaide game again and again and see what hard work and commitment is all about. They need to get a group of 22 who are prepared to do that. 4 to 6 tonight aren't up to it.

3 weeks!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:23 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Bad day for the club.

Poor loss in reserves and a farcical shoot your own foot scenario in seniors.

You could tell after 5 minutes of this game, alarm bells were going off.
As others have rightly duly noted, there were so many less than satisfactory aspects, I won't bother trying to analyse.

But I would say, great coaches are pro active. Alas, we've been reactive for most of the year, and certainly again tonight.
Keays on Saad.... from left field, worked a treat for them. What move did we do to alter them ? SFA. McGovern forward.... no.
Fisher more time in guts... no.
Only 1 of rucks on ground at same time... no. Reactive rules.

Thought Cripps tried his heart out.
Has too few mates.
Someone please get Sav back to coach Harry. It's becoming a joke, but not many are laughing.

Tough to accept that performance but that's where we sit.
Round 23 will be our Grand Final.

We probably still fall into 8th, because all others are failing too, then cop a first week interstate final, and it's hello 2023 !

One very disappointed fan, lots of highs since 1965 when my love started but it's eroding into just fondness these days sadly.

PS....magoos lost to a lowly team also.
Some our supposed big name players who some think will solve all our problems.... did next to nothing for that level.
Fogarty with 30 touches was our best, which to me tells you a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.afl.com.au/video/810223/ful ... MATCH:3972

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
This is the modern game
If your 5 % off and a team is 100% on you will get beat
By anyone
Some of you don’t understand that
We are a better team than last year
It’s a slow build these days
If we break even or get beaten in the clearances we struggle
As I have said we lack leg speed the the middle of the ground
It’s an issue that needs addressing

It's amazing that Keogh is the most rational and accurate poster here lately.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:26 am 
Bruce Doull

That was Teague era stuff.

When you play shit, the lucky bounce of the ball always goes the other side's way, & that happened again & again tonight. Just like the Cats game.

That 3rd quarter, uuugh, anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Our defence got terribly opened up, can't recall the last time we let a team get free out the back so very often.

Easily our worst performance of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:57 am 
Harry Vallence

We need George back.... His Absence in the midfield killed us :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:27 am 
Garry Crane

Blue4ever wrote:
Cripps, Hewitt, Cerra and Kennedy - no pace, the opposition have worked out that they can hurt us by pushing forward and making our midfield very accountable.

You could say that about every Carlton side for the last 20 years. It’s been a constant and I’m not sure why this has been so hard to address.

I don’t have any inside info or contacts but, Voss being a Matthews disciple, is from the era when you ramp up the training at the 3/4 mark of the H&A season, then taper off in order to be cherry ripe towards the end of the finals.

Everyone looked extremely tired, sore, and lethargic last night. Even Walsh who is the player with the biggest tank looked knackered at times and his disposal wasn’t as crisp as usual. Just a theory. Also, rain is our Kryptonite.

And be warned, If I attend any of the remaining games and you sit next to me and go “woof” whenever Saad kicks the ball I’m going to punch you in the face*. You all realise that was the beginning of the end of the careers of Perovic and Christou?

* poster does not condone violence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:30 am 
John James

MPH78 wrote:
Going to be pretty easy to identify when our 2022 season derailed and came to an end.

Absolutely putrid tonight. Every aspect.

Got bullied and monstered. Soft as @#$%&!.

Livid and fuming.

Good summation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:40 am 
Ken Hands

We’re too slow and not hard enough through the midfield. Got absolutely torched by guys like Laird, Smith, McHenry, Milera and Soligo who bought pace, tackling and tenacity. Stuff we used to do better when we were a crap team and the hunter rather than the hunted.

Blues have exceeded my expectations this year but it will be a shame for it to trail off and potentially not play a final.

Definitely need an injection of pace and tenacity. We’ve got quite a few blokes that have neither and you can’t carry that and be at the pointy end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:26 am 
Rod Ashman

Welcome to TC Cherry Ripe :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 am 
Craig Bradley

Effes wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/810223/full-post-match-r20-blues?videoId=810223&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1659186230001&references=AFL_MATCH:3972

Last night was disappointing and a total failure... from top to bottom... why would the presser be any different

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:31 am 
Harry Vallence

BlueLife wrote:
We’re too slow and not hard enough through the midfield. Got absolutely torched by guys like Laird, Smith, McHenry, Milera and Soligo who bought pace, tackling and tenacity. Stuff we used to do better when we were a crap team and the hunter rather than the hunted.

Blues have exceeded my expectations this year but it will be a shame for it to trail off and potentially not play a final.

Definitely need an injection of pace and tenacity. We’ve got quite a few blokes that have neither and you can’t carry that and be at the pointy end.

Even if we make finals, it is still masking our longer term issues.

Firstly need some speed and physical presence through the midfield. It is too one paced. Kennedy needs to be replaced. Although good in the contest, he is too inconsistent and slow.

Need a classy medium sized tall that offers a point of difference to Charlie and Harry. Martin would fit that bill if he wasn’t so timid and injury prone.

Need to cut out the unforced errors from our game. It kills our confidence in games and the ability to play daring football. We are at our best when running and carrying the ball. Like most teams.

Our bottom 6 - 8 players get continually found. Wouldn’t persist with players like Plowman and Setterfield. Have peaked and not good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:31 am 
Geoff Southby

Adelaide are doing a slow rebuild
Can’t think of to many situations where they have given away picks for one player
They play a very accountable style of footy
Their last 3 quarters of footy against Sydney last week was excellent
Jones Murphy Soligo Hinge Berry Mc Adam Mc Henry
Schoenberg Murray Milera Fogarty Himmelberg Butts all good kids
Dawson the only trade I can think of
They are missing a few as well
Nicks is a hard task master

You can see they are building
So the lose over in the city of churches ain’t no surprise
I had hopes we may get a double chance spot a few weeks ago
It maybe we miss the eight completely now
Regardless we have improved and given the previous decade we should all be grateful for that

We desperately need pace through the midfield
When a team such as Adelaide puts that much heat on we don’t have the leg speed to deal with it
Guys like Durdin and Saad need to play in the guts

DeKoning needs to play as a ruckman
Pittonet being picked was a mistake
He is a back up
Nothing more
We need to hit up targets more frequently when the ball is in our forward half
Too many long bombs tonight
We need to get passed guys like Plowman and Setterfield who clearly arnt good enough
I thought OBrien wasn’t too bad tonight
I like what the club has done with Dow
He at least has pace
Time to bring him in
And I thought Kemp was harshly done by the MC a few weeks ago
He looks far better than Plowman and did ok yesterday
Carroll looks ok to
Important we make every pick in the draft count over the next few years

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:40 am 
Ken Hunter

bender wrote:
david31 wrote:
What has happened to our midfield? Individual stats generally ok but minimal impact. -17 in inside 50s. One of the best midfields over the first 10 weeks. Average at best over last 10 weeks.

other teams worked us out - we are too one dimensional with no plan b

We are also too slow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:44 am 
Ken Hunter

I turned it off late in the 3rd quarter, good decision I think.
Just when we thought they couldn't disappoint us any more they dish up that tripe.
After the best part of 20 years of crap we deserve better than this.
Sometimes there are no words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next