Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:
Go out to dinner instead given the pathetic performances we have put up since about May

I did this last night.

Gave us no chance.

It had all the hallmarks of a “didn’t turn up” game.

So I didn’t either.

Not sure about next week.

Mort Sahl

Last edited by GWS on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:44 am 
Geoff Southby

The party aint over yet . The last light in the room hasn't gone out yet . We can definitely knock 'em off on there own dunghill . There game is not dissimilar to ours . All we need to do is play that Crows style lateral movement style footy . You know , change the angles and stretch 'em . It can be done .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Of course we win. We lost the last game.

We always win when we lost the last game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

missnaut wrote:
This is a good point. We all thought MP, MM would just slot back in but the reality is they've missed a lot of footy, and the team has missed a lot of time playing together. JW and LY still look like they're working each other out too.

QFT FYI

I'm more concerned about our structure and mindset. Some of highest rated defenders have regressed to Teague defence over the past few weeks. Weitering just refuses to defend his player and instead wants to fold back and cover space. Taylor Walkers footskills are too good to let him run around distributing the ball without pressure.
Plowman turned the ball over terribly last night but he could show a few of the other defenders what it means to defend your player.
I'm bemused by the posts about Jack. If anyone thinks his omission contributed to the loss, they're dreaming. It was actually good to see Jack have a run on the wing and have an easier game other than getting bashed in the ruck. We couldn't get the ball out of the Crows forward line. His omission wasn't the reason for that. As Voss said in his PC, the Crows took the ball off us 35 times when we were trying to exit their forward line. That's unforgivable.
Weiters is playing arrogant footy, Doc's decision making with the ball has been poor all season and we didn't adapt to the Saad tag. Keays was instructed to run from the contest and to run toward goal regardless of who had the advantage.
We needed to win the contests or get Saad to sacrifice his game. We failed to do either.

The tactic of playing half forwards up at the ball has backfired the last 6 weeks. The opposition are using their wings or half forwards to man up Walsh at the stoppages and their half backs are cutting us up. Brodie Smith had a picnic last night.
Combine that with our wings being ineffective and we're losing too many contests between the arcs.

Pitto was very rusty last night but he'll get better. I also thought TDK was better performed in the ruck when he's playing the back up role.
As I said earlier in the season, i'd rotate Walsh and Cerra wing-H/F-midfield with Fisher. Play 6 forwards. The strategy with Walsh worked well for a month but like all successful strategies, the opposition will counter them.

I have concerns for Hewitt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shelved for the season. If Kennedy is concussed, he'll miss next week as well.

Voss needs to have some serious discussions with some key players. Weitering needs to go back to beating one opponent instead of worrying about telling everyone else how to play.
Young needs to harden the @#$%&! up. He looked like he lost all confidence last night because the conditions were a bit wet.
If we weren't playing a team with 2 extra tall forwards next week, I would have dropped him for Marchbank.
Harry needed to find ways to win the ball when the umpires aren't paying his flops.
Doc shouldn't kick the ball out from a point if he cant do anything other than kick it long to an outnumber. McGovern is easily the best kick. Let him kick the ball in.

Plowman Young Docherty
Saad Weitering McGovern
Walsh Dow O'Brien
Fisher Harry Owies
Motlop Charlie Martin
TDK Cripps Cottrell (Tag Neale)
Newman Pittonet JSOS Cerra (Setterfield Sub)

Assuming Kennedy and Durdin miss with injury.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Brisbane were COVID hit but yes the cheats had success tagging Neale. They learnt after he chopped them up earlier this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:39 am 
Wayne Johnston

I gave all social media and TC a miss until now since I was too angry after the game last night.

Out: Kennedy (concussion), Newman (knee), Durdin (shoulder),
In: Dow, Kemp, JSOS
Medi sub: Honey

Pittonet back in is a huge change to our on ball dynamic and we need a few games to get back into rhythm, having Dow in may help that given he played two games with Pittonet recently.

LOB, Setterfield and Cottrell were very disappointing between the arcs but the cupboard is bare, I don’t see Newnes as a solution.

Stocker won’t be available due to concussion and I’m not convinced Marchbank is ready, also I think Kemp is quicker than Marchbank, and we’re already a bit tall and slow with Young, Weitering and Plowman.

Dow is a no brainer given Hewitt seems unlikely to be available, he seems to have been heavily tagged the last few weeks but still found a away to impact which is good for his game.

Neither of Martin, Carroll nor Marchbank impressed me in the vfl.

Also there’s ANOTHER flowering VFL bye next week! So Martin and Marchbank won’t be getting any match practice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
missnaut wrote:
This is a good point. We all thought MP, MM would just slot back in but the reality is they've missed a lot of footy, and the team has missed a lot of time playing together. JW and LY still look like they're working each other out too.

QFT FYI

I'm more concerned about our structure and mindset. Some of highest rated defenders have regressed to Teague defence over the past few weeks. Weitering just refuses to defend his player and instead wants to fold back and cover space. Taylor Walkers footskills are too good to let him run around distributing the ball without pressure.
Plowman turned the ball over terribly last night but he could show a few of the other defenders what it means to defend your player.
I'm bemused by the posts about Jack. If anyone thinks his omission contributed to the loss, they're dreaming. It was actually good to see Jack have a run on the wing and have an easier game other than getting bashed in the ruck. We couldn't get the ball out of the Crows forward line. His omission wasn't the reason for that. As Voss said in his PC, the Crows took the ball off us 35 times when we were trying to exit their forward line. That's unforgivable.
Weiters is playing arrogant footy, Doc's decision making with the ball has been poor all season and we didn't adapt to the Saad tag. Keays was instructed to run from the contest and to run toward goal regardless of who had the advantage.
We needed to win the contests or get Saad to sacrifice his game. We failed to do either.

The tactic of playing half forwards up at the ball has backfired the last 6 weeks. The opposition are using their wings or half forwards to man up Walsh at the stoppages and their half backs are cutting us up. Brodie Smith had a picnic last night.
Combine that with our wings being ineffective and we're losing too many contests between the arcs.

Pitto was very rusty last night but he'll get better. I also thought TDK was better performed in the ruck when he's playing the back up role.
As I said earlier in the season, i'd rotate Walsh and Cerra wing-H/F-midfield with Fisher. Play 6 forwards. The strategy with Walsh worked well for a month but like all successful strategies, the opposition will counter them.

I have concerns for Hewitt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shelved for the season. If Kennedy is concussed, he'll miss next week as well.

Voss needs to have some serious discussions with some key players. Weitering needs to go back to beating one opponent instead of worrying about telling everyone else how to play.
Young needs to harden the @#$%&! up. He looked like he lost all confidence last night because the conditions were a bit wet.
If we weren't playing a team with 2 extra tall forwards next week, I would have dropped him for Marchbank.
Harry needed to find ways to win the ball when the umpires aren't paying his flops.
Doc shouldn't kick the ball out from a point if he cant do anything other than kick it long to an outnumber. McGovern is easily the best kick. Let him kick the ball in.

Plowman Young Docherty
Saad Weitering McGovern
Walsh Dow O'Brien
Fisher Harry Owies
Motlop Charlie Martin

Not disputing your analysiis but systems and structures always look shite when there's little effort
Once effort and mindset are at the level required, we would all be shocked at how our own systems, structures and set ups look better...because for one, it then challenges the opp coaches to have to make changes...we live our lives with cause and effect, action-reaction etc.
EFFORT (the mind willing the body on to want to win every contest) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SYSTEMS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:20 pm 
Garry Crane

Doc has been a great player and for what he’s been through hats off to him,
But not sure he’ll take us deep into finals with his long bombs and high kicks. Top
4 teams are going to slaughter us on the turnover. I would have liked to see him man up on Keays last night .any meters gained by saad is worth triple that of Doc. Some
Of his bombs without looking amazed me.
As for young he needs to Start backing himself for intercept marks. He looked much better in the second. Half with a couple of marks. Some
Of his spoils in the first half were more like turnovers.

Lastly if only we had a player that could win a clearance and burst from packs…..
Watching Dow in 2018,2019 actually gave me a bit of hope for the future, it will hurt watching him
explode out of packs for a team like Geelong next year…….

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
missnaut wrote:

QFT FYI

Plowman Young Docherty
Saad Weitering McGovern
Walsh Dow O'Brien
Fisher Harry Owies
Motlop Charlie Martin

I don't mind the changes BV and agree that playing the HF's up at the ball is not working.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

Hornet wrote:
With our midfield unable to dominate the middle like they did earlier this season, we need to change it up... put some speed in there... wtf not try Dow?

because he doesn't defend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

redback wrote:
Hornet wrote:
With our midfield unable to dominate the middle like they did earlier this season, we need to change it up... put some speed in there... wtf not try Dow?

because he doesn't defend

As well as our defenders.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I understand the criticism of some of Doc's kicking out of the backline but reckon some of Walsh's kicking into our forward 50 has been equally as bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

our wingers have let us down all year, no run, no line breakers, dismal disposal and no presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

My reasonably new look blues team from available players with a little more run.

B: Kemp Weitering Young

HB: Saad McGovern Cerra

C: Walsh Cripps Docherty

HF: Fisher Curnow Martin

F: Owies McKay Fogarty

Foll: Pittonett Dow Hewitt

Bench: JSOS Cottrell TDK Newman Caroll - sub

My biggest problem was the last small forward. I feel its time for Motlop to go back to the VFL and Fogarty is the best of the rest.

I had no issue with LOB and Setterfield going. Walsh and Doc makes us much better.

Cerra at HB gives us both run and decent kicking from defence which we lack.

Kemp replacing Plowman gives us better marking, and less mistakes in the backline.

The FB line may appear to be tall but look at the HB and wings. Both have the ability to drift back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Brisbane are Destroying the Tigers at the G as we speak....

70 Points scored and its not even half time- They are going to beat us 50+ easy next week unless we do something different :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dodo27 wrote:

70 Points scored and its not even half time- They are going to beat us 50+ easy next week unless we do something different :(

Forfeit?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Every week is different.

We won't play like we did last night. They won't play like they're playing today.

Conditions, venue etc.

Footy is a funny game.

We could get spanked by 80 or we could win by a point.

We definitely need to giving 110% effort and intensity and hopefully last nights result has shaken this lethargy/complacency out of us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Dodo27 wrote:

Forfeit?

After Last night's effort, they might as well forfeit the Season....all we wanted to see through out the year is consistent effort and pressure, regardless of the Score!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Most likely without Hewett Kennedy Durdin & Newman next week. We can’t take a trick

I also struggle to see Curnow McKay TDK Silvagni & Pittonet all in the one side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

redback wrote:
our wingers have let us down all year, no run, no line breakers, dismal disposal and no presence

Sadly agree. We don’t get enough from O’Brien Cottrell Setterfield. Too inconsistent

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next