Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It's angst over a word.

If Jack was 'managed' we'd all be saying 'well played by the club, good depth, good management ahead of finals'...

Jack to my mind is the perfect push-up defensive forward. We will lose one of durdin/motlop/owies and JSOS will be back in to play his real role.

JSOS - Charlie - Owies
Fisher - Harry - Durdin

Is our best forward 6 this year I reckon. Fisher rotating in the middle where he has been good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
It's angst over a word.

If Jack was 'managed' we'd all be saying 'well played by the club, good depth, good management ahead of finals'...

Jack to my mind is the perfect push-up defensive forward. We will lose one of durdin/motlop/owies and JSOS will be back in to play his real role.

JSOS - Charlie - Owies
Fisher - Harry - Durdin

Is our best forward 6 this year I reckon. Fisher rotating in the middle where he has been good.

What I like is the options and flexibility

If we have

Martin McKay Fisher
Silvagni Charlie Owies

Then you have TDK who can go through the Ruck and/or Forward
Motlop or Durdin who can rotate through forward line and will allow Fisher or Martin to spend minutes up the ground
A bench with an extra mid (ie. Cerra) allows Walsh, Cerra Kennedy to go up forward
Extra bench spot is for 7th defender

Also, allows us to cover for injury. i.e McGovern goes down Silvangi can go back or of needed can go into ruck

So many options within the game

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Any other team playing 3 small forwards
Would be interested to know.

Have a look at the tall timber they will be feeding from. Any other team got that?

I think we lack that mid forward type of player we only seem to have Martin in this role

Walsh says hi

Hope Jack is the Sub

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Hey SB, nice feeling living in Sydney having beaten Swans, Giants twice, and most of the expats' teams in the East are from SA WA, Pies, Hawks, Bombers
I will be in Adelaide for the game this weekend
Never been to that ground looking forward to it

You lucky bugger.
I haven't been to the new ground/stadium, and covid has spoilt all intentions.
This weekend my son has a bye. We were booked to take him to the snow, like I did with son No 1 last week.
He injured himself in the Academy Cup, and can't go.

I would've gone to Adelaide with son No. 1 or you if I had've known. Enjoy.

I will be thrilled if a lot of Crows Members dont attend, and the SA Carlton Army are there in force.
Similar to the WCE game. Go Blues.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

One ruck or 2 BH? If it's 2, where do you rotate them?
It can't exclusively be the bench IMO. That leaves 3 rotations for the remaining 20 players.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:
If Jack was actually dropped, the other confusing part then becomes - why is Honey being managed? I thought being managed was a euphemism for being rested?

Honey needs to develop a desire to hunt the ball and opposition like he did last year imo.

I've been annoyed watching him ball watching a bit.

With that power, strength and mongrel, he should be smashing in....IF, he wants a spot in the Finals team, before the cavalry arrives (Hewett, Marchbank, Martin, Williams, Boyd..)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
One ruck or 2 BH? If it's 2, where do you rotate them?
It can't exclusively be the bench IMO. That leaves 3 rotations for the remaining 20 players.
TDK and pitto, rotate bench through forwards. Jack Martin the wild card too.

Good problem to have but JSOS offers so much more than a ruck fill in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bluehammer wrote:
It's angst over a word.

JSOS - Charlie - Owies
Fisher - Harry - Durdin

It's justified angst, we are the ones that argue with flower opposition supporters about Silvagni's ability. Saying managed is fine, saying omitted is "told ya he's a shit player, only in the AFL because of his name"

Apart from that we know the effort he brings week in week out. If he's fit he plays.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I agree - wording was shit but the 'only getting a game because of your name' will never leave him from other clubs.

Harry and soul bloke who is worth so much to this team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
Even if we want Motlop in for defensive pressure, JSOS is a far better option. Unless it is supposed to be 'rested' this has got me completely stumped.
I think Honey is a far better option than Motlop in any event - at least let him get a few games under his belt...
Like the ins (assuming Owies is really good to go) baffled by the outs..

Motlop runs rings around Honey.

Owies, Motlop, Durdin is a good group, but it’s a wee bit toothless… chase, but no tackle… possessions, but no shot on goal.

I think Honey and Motlop are different body types and players. Honey bigger by 7 cm in height and 10 kg heavier.
To me one is a small forward, and the other is a medium forward, as we have debated in the past.

I doubt Motlop would beat Honey in a foot race, but at the moment Motlop is playing with a greater desire to attack the ball, and man, than Honey. Hence imo Motlop is is more valuable to the team. Honey didnt do a preseason either, so he's always going to be behind the others who did this year

I don't think either are ready, nor have the weapons the team needs to play Finals. If I had to pick one if injuries forced me, I'd pick Motlop for forward pressure. Only reason I'd pick Honey is for his mongrel and ability to hurt the opposition in the game of attrition. But lately he's been ball watching too much and not showing any physical presence.

IMO Martin will be back after he's served time in VFL, and most important, if his form warrants a spot in best 22. The 2 smalls first picked will be Owies and Durdin, and the Medium Forward most likely will be Martin. Cuningham, also hasnt done a preseason, nor played any games this year to be considered as a medium forward.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dodo27 wrote:
Playing the Two big boys plus a Ruckman forward makes us too heavy and slow....JSOS is a better option, more balanced....

Owies brings pressure and Class, a good welcome back.....

Are you saying Jack is quicker than TDK?

Jack's IQ makes him a great marking link further up the ground.
His forward pressure is not as strong as I would like. He isn't quick, and isnt nimble.
TDK is like a fanatical teenager with his ground ball pressure. He has improved a lot.
With Pitto back, TDK will bring even more energy to the contest imo: in the air and on the ground.
Kreuzer is his coach and Kreuzer's made all his ruck students ruck rovers after the ball up.

The MC/ Voss seem to think TDK provided more than SOS.

I hope to see Jack as the Med Sub in a Finals, especially the GF.
Can you imagine the desperation he will bring in a GF?

I want his name on the locker, with his dad and his Nono, and a Father-Son player in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Voss has made it clear today Jack was dropped in favour of 2 rucks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
I remember in 1986 when they dropped JSOS Oldman for the Grandfinal.
We went out and had a BOG 5 goal game in the reserves grand final and they won.
He was pissed and brought to tears when he missed out on selection.

I thought back then it was a dumb call.
I think this one is as well

Good point.

IMHO, I believe Steve Silvagni was a much better footballer than Jack.

Medi Sub make you feel a bit better?
Good Insurance for the team, and his name is on the team sheet ...getting closer to 100 games...and the prospect of a Father Son!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:39 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Dunno what Silvagni is upset about, he'll be straight back in next week after one of our talls gets injured in the first 10 mins.
This is the Carlton way.

Should he be happy to be dropped? What a curious thing to say.

No, but he shouldn't be a drama queen and a sook. There seems to be a feeling of entitlement among the Silvagni family of late that annoys me.
According to Agro, Jack specifically asked to be outlined as omitted and not managed. That's dramatic nonsense. Jack should have a word with Matt Kennedy and harden the @#$%&! up.
Kennedy was killing it in the VFL, was often the sub but he busted his arse every week and never once played the victim. He always had a smile on his face and the coaches commented on his positivity and commitment to the team no matter the level he played.
I'd suggest Jack accept the decision, give 100% without dropping the bottom lip and force his way back into the team with his performances.

From the outside looking in, I'd suggest Voss isn't the type of person to tolerate selfishness or negativity.

There’s a lot of assumption and hearsay in your post.

How do you know Argo is correct? How do you know Kennedy didn’t sook to anyone while he was out? If Agro hadn’t heard JSOS say that then would that change your opinion? Maybe Agro heard Kennedy say something similar but chose not to post it here.

Even if you’re Michael Voss you don’t know what every player is saying about every selection to their friends or family.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
Even if we want Motlop in for defensive pressure, JSOS is a far better option. Unless it is supposed to be 'rested' this has got me completely stumped.
I think Honey is a far better option than Motlop in any event - at least let him get a few games under his belt...
Like the ins (assuming Owies is really good to go) baffled by the outs..

Motlop runs rings around Honey.

Owies, Motlop, Durdin is a good group, but it’s a wee bit toothless… chase, but no tackle… possessions, but no shot on goal.

owies is elite for F50 tackling and was AFL number one for some period of time. and he kicks a goal from a set shot when he gets his chance more often than not. can’t say that about the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They each have significant holes in the offensive side of their game.

Owies gets a couple of shots per game, but they’re rarely from ground balls.
Motlop is a shooter - anywhere, anytime - but he doesn’t get enough of it.
Durdin gets the footy where it counts, but doesn’t pull the trigger enough.

It’ll get there, especially with a bit of continuity as a group, but they’ll be starved of opportunity if we can’t get something going across half forward. The dump kick up the line isn’t so ugly if the interceptors have to work for their money.

Great summary Cru. Agree....and Motlop with a full preseason under his belt could be anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I guess it also depends on how they divide the time between Pitto and TDK.
JSOS is a better forward option than both but if the priority is to maintain ruck dominance and sacrifice something forward banking on Charlie and H to get the job done with the flow on affect of ruck dominance meaning our mids then get more of it then fair enough.
However if the plan is for Pitto to ruck 75 to 80% of the time with TDK more of a back up, I'd have gone with JSOS in that role myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Durdin McKay Fisher
F: TDK Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Newman Motlop Cerra Cottrell (Silvagni)

It's a good side. The next 4 weeks are they trying to work out best side and how we balance it out? IMO we are a tall short and would play Silvagni over a small forward. That gives us flexibity and options

This side is missing Hewett Silvagni Dow Honey Williams Marchbank Stocker Martin Boyd Newnes Hayes who are Best 22 or around the mark and will all be available soon. Going to be very interesting how we line up going into finals. I'm not sure Voss fully knows yet

I agree it is a good side. Marchbank to replace Plowman in the next 1-2 weeks and our back 7 look settled. The midfield looks better with Pittonet back and the option of rotating Walsh through the Midfield, wing and HHF. I think to me the forward line is still a bit predictable especially without JSOS. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

What would you do is a fully fit Williams is available against Dees and Pies before Finals?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhino27 wrote:
I guess it also depends on how they divide the time between Pitto and TDK.
JSOS is a better forward option than both but if the priority is to maintain ruck dominance and sacrifice something forward banking on Charlie and H to get the job done with the flow on affect of ruck dominance meaning our mids then get more of it then fair enough.
However if the plan is for Pitto to ruck 75 to 80% of the time with TDK more of a back up, I'd have gone with JSOS in that role myself.

I think TDK forward just makes our forwardline an absolute nightmare for the opposition to match up
Our smalls need to get to work though to take advantage of this

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Durdin McKay Fisher
F: TDK Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Newman Motlop Cerra Cottrell (Silvagni)

It's a good side. The next 4 weeks are they trying to work out best side and how we balance it out? IMO we are a tall short and would play Silvagni over a small forward. That gives us flexibity and options

This side is missing Hewett Silvagni Dow Honey Williams Marchbank Stocker Martin Boyd Newnes Hayes who are Best 22 or around the mark and will all be available soon. Going to be very interesting how we line up going into finals. I'm not sure Voss fully knows yet

I agree it is a good side. Marchbank to replace Plowman in the next 1-2 weeks and our back 7 look settled. The midfield looks better with Pittonet back and the option of rotating Walsh through the Midfield, wing and HHF. I think to me the forward line is still a bit predictable especially without JSOS. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

Yeah but 3 talls is a lot for any defense to handle

Especially when one of the 3 is marking on the wing to give the Defense an outlet; the 2nd tall is at CHF roaming as a marking option; and if 2nd tall not in best position and another player found to link with in the interim, we should also have the 3rd tall in the goal square with a small at his feet.

McKay 200cm great mark
TDK 200ck gets his hands to the ball and takes a few marks
Charlie great mark

WEAPONS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Geez this whole thing with Jack is a storm in a tea cup.

Let's go out and win and do it convincingly so everyone can STFU.

Watch the circus if we lose though...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Voss has made it clear today Jack was dropped in favour of 2 rucks

If that's the reason, then that's great.

2 bonafide ruckmen to curtail whatever the opposition throw at us.

Gawn/ Jackson vs Pittonet/ TDK in the GF. That looks fairer to me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next