Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
This should be the second win in an eight-game winning streak!
Go Blues!

That's the spirit

I'm looking forward to saying 'I told you so'. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Our mids shouldn't go out there thinking it will be easy. Laird, Berry and Keays are all very strong and competent ball winners, and all in very good form.
We should have their measure up forward and in defence but it will be a tough assignment around the stoppages. I'm hoping our players go in with the right mindset.
It will be great to see Pitto back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Durdin McKay Fisher
F: TDK Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Newman Motlop Cerra Cottrell (Silvagni)

It's a good side. The next 4 weeks are they trying to work out best side and how we balance it out? IMO we are a tall short and would play Silvagni over a small forward. That gives us flexibity and options

This side is missing Hewett Silvagni Dow Honey Williams Marchbank Stocker Martin Boyd Newnes Hayes who are Best 22 or around the mark and will all be available soon. Going to be very interesting how we line up going into finals. I'm not sure Voss fully knows yet

I agree it is a good side. Marchbank to replace Plowman in the next 1-2 weeks and our back 7 look settled. The midfield looks better with Pittonet back and the option of rotating Walsh through the Midfield, wing and HHF. I think to me the forward line is still a bit predictable especially without JSOS. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

What would you do is a fully fit Williams is available against Dees and Pies before Finals?

Good question. Possibly move Doc to the wing and drop LOB or Setterfield. But I would want Williams to play VFL first so there may not be time for him to get back for the finals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Dunno what Silvagni is upset about, he'll be straight back in next week after one of our talls gets injured in the first 10 mins.
This is the Carlton way.

Should he be happy to be dropped? What a curious thing to say.

I think that was a lighthearted, slightly jaded comment rather than a serious point…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

CFC8795 wrote:
This should be the second win in an eight-game winning streak!
Go Blues!

:thanks: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:42 pm 
John James

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

i’ve been saying this for a while to friends. where is our Matt Clappe type of all rounder forward who knows how to lead for a marking option, when the others are covered and kicks at goal like champion . JSOS isn’t him just yet.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the modern prototypical tall/athletic HF that we are missing.

Jack Martin shows a bit but not at the Marra level obviously and too often is injured.not sure how tall he is but Honey might get there to be a good lead up, difficult to match up HF one day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

diesel95 wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

i’ve been saying this for a while to friends. where is our Matt Clappe type of all rounder forward who knows how to lead for a marking option, when the others are covered and kicks at goal like champion . JSOS isn’t him just yet.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the modern prototypical tall/athletic HF that we are missing.

Jack Martin shows a bit but not at the Marra level obviously and too often is injured.not sure how tall he is but Honey might get there to be a good lead up, difficult to match up HF one day.

Play TDK & McKay as KPF. There is no more dangerous third tall than Curnow. Way better than JUH. Then there is Silvagni and maybe Kemp or even McGovern if needed

If you look at our structure this week it’s a lot like Melbourne’s Flag side last year

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ya know….

from what we’ve been seeing lately…TDK will drift
into the backline more and more…he seems to
read the ball much better there…!

mark of the year will come from a defensive post
i reckon…not as a forward…!

kindest regards tommi

don’t forget though…I’m wearing a poncho with socks and
no pants….soooo….!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

Play TDK & McKay as KPF. There is no more dangerous third tall than Curnow. Way better than JUH. Then there is Silvagni and maybe Kemp or even McGovern if needed

If you look at our structure this week it’s a lot like Melbourne’s Flag side last year

Great suggestion FB. Imagine two athletic 200cm KPF and Charlie the distance runner, running around creating havoc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

tommi wrote:
Ya know….

from what we’ve been seeing lately…TDK will drift
into the backline more and more…he seems to
read the ball much better there…!

mark of the year will come from a defensive post
i reckon…not as a forward…!

kindest regards tommi

don’t forget though…I’m wearing a poncho with socks and
no pants….soooo…
.!

tommi, you are aware you are rather unique.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

You’re right Mr Hopkins….

i should put some slippers on….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:52 pm 
John James

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

i’ve been saying this for a while to friends. where is our Matt Clappe type of all rounder forward who knows how to lead for a mark, and is rarely beaten in the air against their third tall, when the KPFs are covered and kicks at goal like champion . JSOS isn’t him just yet.

last week i realised Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the modern prototypical tall/athletic HF that we are missing.

Last edited by diesel95 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Remember the JSOS and JW mix up against Cats?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:02 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Good players get dropped from good teams all the time. I love JSOS but all this agonising over a squad rotation is unbecoming. He'll probably be back next week; there's several players whose places are far from assured if they're not at their best in Adelaide.

I get what you're saying and agree but don't you think this is a positional/structural thing?

I think we all agree 2 rucks is the way to go

And then there is Charlie and Harry

The Qn as I see it is can we also have another tall in the forward half?

Look I may well be wrong, and in fact hope I am wrong.
Maybe they don't see Jack as a tall but more a mid size HFF like Martin, and they want to trial this weekend 3 talls and several smalls with no mid size HFF.
Or maybe it is about only being able to fit 4 talls in the forward half and they see Jack as a tall and as such this might not bode well for Jack in the future.

i suspect Voss is seeing what this looks like against the last bottom six game of the year.

the small forwards haven’t been as good as the first week. i never buy Murdoch papers but was reading the Hearld Sxum at the supermarket today and in the finals run article they made the point that our initial high scoring wins realised heavily on stoppage clearances. then we got worked out and shifted to transitional play scoring. and played more of a team defence to reduce oppositions scoring. this reduced our forward entries and the quality, with small forwards playing into the D50 as some have observed in this thread.

so i reckon Voss is thinking will three small forwards plus fisher and walsh help them to cover the opponents when they have intercepted or got it out of general play in the F50 to keep it in the F50. it comes out too easy against good teams too often.

also lots of people reckoned JSOS needed a rest, maybe Voss did too but figured he also teach SOS he isn’t an auto-pick so maybe he needs to do extra goal kicking practice. bad luck for SOS who played a role for the team and suffered for it. he’ll bounce back for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Jamarra ? he's a cross between Jack Gunston / Bailey Fritsch isn't he . Gonna take some stopping in the years ahead .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

Say what we want….

when it comes down to that last game in September…
there are going to be more than a few unlucky
players…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Paddycripps wrote:
An article I just read said Carlton could be in the top 4 by the end of the weeks... pigs arse !

Only need a win and Port to beat the Pies and Giants to beat the Swans......

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
B: Plowman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Cripps O'Brien
HF: Durdin McKay Fisher
F: TDK Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Newman Motlop Cerra Cottrell (Silvagni)

It's a good side. The next 4 weeks are they trying to work out best side and how we balance it out? IMO we are a tall short and would play Silvagni over a small forward. That gives us flexibity and options

This side is missing Hewett Silvagni Dow Honey Williams Marchbank Stocker Martin Boyd Newnes Hayes who are Best 22 or around the mark and will all be available soon. Going to be very interesting how we line up going into finals. I'm not sure Voss fully knows yet

I agree it is a good side. Marchbank to replace Plowman in the next 1-2 weeks and our back 7 look settled. The midfield looks better with Pittonet back and the option of rotating Walsh through the Midfield, wing and HHF. I think to me the forward line is still a bit predictable especially without JSOS. Players are either tall or short. We miss the midsized option that a Jack Martin provides. A couple of games in the VFL and then I would bring him in for one of the smalls, probably Motlop.

What would you do is a fully fit Williams is available against Dees and Pies before Finals?

Good question. Possibly move Doc to the wing and drop LOB or Setterfield. But I would want Williams to play VFL first so there may not be time for him to get back for the finals.

True.
I'd play him, after a VFL game or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
An article I just read said Carlton could be in the top 4 by the end of the weeks... pigs arse !

Only need a win and Port to beat the Pies and Giants to beat the Swans......

I'll take us winning and Collingwood losing. :donk:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

Great suggestion FB. Imagine two athletic 200cm KPF and Charlie the distance runner, running around creating havoc.

Potentially Charlie could be the best 3rd tall in history if the giants worked in unison, and that comes from a lot of games played together.
I like what I saw before my eyes in round 1. The 4 talls worked against the Tigers. We stretched them on a dry night.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next