Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:02 pm 
Robert Walls

Cripps and Hayes missing EVERYTHING from reasonable straight-forward set shots certainly didn't help...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
Not mine Rick and good to hear from you

Very disappointing performance and shows the old adage Rome wasn’t built in a day

Reverted back to last year and the pressure came on and the ball butchery and cheap chippy kicks to try to relieve the pressure on oneself was evident particularly from the backline to the wing
Then if we did get it past the wing let’s either blast it forward to the Geelong outnumber or be really cute and hit the Geelong Blackman on the chest
The intercept marks by the Cats in the back half were were ridiculous

2 possible winners on the night Walsh and Charlie but that was it
Terribly jittery sloppy lacked hardness and lack of sticking to game plan
Lost all shape in 3rd quarter

Yes and we will see a response next week against GWS which will mean stuff all when and if we don’t turn up against Adelaide
Win /loss immaturity of this team over last 7 weeks shows still a way to go and a reversion to past practices when things get hard

Walsh had a lot of the ball but was impotent. TDK played well and Kennedy was the best of the midfielders. Charlie for 3 goals from limited opportunities.

I thought Saad played well also.
With Cripps, Harry and Weiters all down we were never going to beat the Cats.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

RickJ wrote:
Lots of angry and disappointed Carlton supporters walking home last night, including me. I only live a block from the G and found a brand new Carlton Polo size L in our front courtyard this morning. Someone’s cracked it and chucked it.

If you’d like it back pm me. I’ll mail it to you :lol:
It was a very quiet train trip home.

Pre match the supporters were buzzing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:12 pm 
Rod McGregor

sinbagger wrote:
What really stood out for me during the match was that when Geelong players were tackled they almost always were able to get an effective disposal away despite the tackle. Yet when Carlton players were tackled they were unable to move the ball on and it was “ball up”.

X3
Thought that was the biggest factor for the night, Cats kept the ball moving forward and gained territory and we could not. Fix that and the intercept marks, the undisciplined 50s and in it up to our eyeballs
Super disappointing, but hopefully we learnt a lot
Next 3 weeks will tell a lot…..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:15 pm 
Garry Crane

carntheblues wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Very disappointing performance and shows the old adage Rome wasn’t built in a day

Reverted back to last year and the pressure came on and the ball butchery and cheap chippy kicks to try to relieve the pressure on oneself was evident particularly from the backline to the wing
Then if we did get it past the wing let’s either blast it forward to the Geelong outnumber or be really cute and hit the Geelong Blackman on the chest

Yes and we will see a response next week against GWS which will mean stuff all when and if we don’t turn up against Adelaide
Win /loss immaturity of this team over last 7 weeks shows still a way to go and a reversion to past practices when things get hard

Walsh had a lot of the ball but was impotent. TDK played well and Kennedy was the best of the midfielders. Charlie for 3 goals from limited opportunities.

Some players are are judged on higher standards I guess. Walsh had 33 at 88%. 12 contested, 8 clearances and 5 score involvements
Thought he was easily our best. Fisher & Charlie also pretty good and probably next best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

We certainly need more foot speed around the pill
Other than Fisher we don’t have leg speed in the middle
Cripps
Walsh
Kennedy
Cerra
Hewett
Are not quick

I would love Saad to play further up the ground
I thought Stocker played well last night
With Williams back it gives us the opportunity to try it
Look at Atkins lately
Geelong were massacred in the middle in the preliminary last year
Scott went to work and addressed the problem by playing Atkins there this year after he had played in defence
We are very one paced in the middle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Obviously Cats are the more hardened, physically mature , experience thence poised in the heat of the contest.
We played reasonably well, in patches , it wasn’t a horrible game just not up to knocking off a quality 2022 top 4 team and Cup contender.
The challenge now for the Baggers is to not to drop their bundle, go on to defeat GWS & Crows.
As long as we get a taste of finals action it’s the cream on the top of an extraordinary revival & turn around on and off the field in 2022.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
I don't think we were good enough but there were 5 things that should not have happened.
Stanley's uncontested mark amongst 4 blues in the opening minutes.
Hawkins uncontested ruck contest and goal
Selwoods dive on the boundary line and down field free
50 meter penalty against Doc..
Harry's dropped chest mark in goal square.

30 points right there

Add to that the HTB free kick against Doc in the first place. All night they didn't pay that HTB and umpire 26 (I am sure it was Mr Bean) decided to grandstand. I am not normally hugely vocal at the footy but that free kick really PMO!!! :mad:

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

The second high free to Selwood in the middle of the ground when he was clearly HTB . Drove me flower bonkers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

I think you mean Fisher. He got plenty of the ball but his disposal and decision making wasn't great.
I thought Walsh was our best. Kennedy, TDK, Charlie early. Our best pressure came from Motlop. I though he was good.
I'm not sold on Durdin. I haven't liked his last month of football.
IMO Jack Martin is our best small forward and we cannot get him back soon enough.
Jack SOS would be well served just going back to basics. He had a couple of clangers early and a few undisciplined acts.
They outplayed us. We can tidy up a few areas and hopefully with a few senior bodies back be better for it in finals.

Hayes having a poor game doesn't make LOB a good player. Just means they are both shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

A good wake up call for the club. It’s a sign of how far we’ve come that we’re this disappointed.

I think the positive thing is Geelong can’t play much better than that and we’ve got lots to improve on.

Watched the replay and couldn’t help but lose it at what was the constant rough end we got from the umps. Every HTB or incorrect disposal was let go for Geelong whilst we were constantly pinged.

And as for the defending of Selwood by Carey and co. “Oh it’s ok because he puts his head over in”. Players should not be rewarded for leading with their heads. If you had an U12 doing it, you’d tell them to stop.
He is worse than Ginnivan yet is constantly rewarded.

I really hope the club takes a stand and asks for a few please explains.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

As strange as it sounds I believe we are missing Boyd. He was the BP missing link for us. He could lockdown on a Stengle and his run, speed and elite ball use made us better

We need Boyd McGovern & Williams back before finals. It will make our defence to much better.

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad (Williams)

Is as good as any and so much better than having Plowman Stocker Newman and Newnes plying down there

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

17th Premiership wrote:
I’m disappointed that we weren’t tougher/cleaner under pressure.
But I reckon we will learn heaps from that!
The games I’m really annoyed about are the losses to Collingwood and Richmond. And Gold Coast earlier in the year when we just didn’t show up to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And of course the Saints game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

AIRCAV wrote:
And as for the defending of Selwood by Carey and co. “Oh it’s ok because he puts his head over in”. Players should not be rewarded for leading with their heads.

Meanwhile Cripps catches a head high bump while bending for the ball and it's crickets from the umpires and commentators.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We allowed Hawkins to contest a boundary throw in unopposed AND didn’t have a goalkeeper to stop a slow dribble goal. One glaring example of how poor we were last night.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

McGovern may or may not make a difference, but he's played so few games, let alone good games, he is an unknown quantity. A bit the same with Williams really.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MPH78 wrote:
We allowed Hawkins to contest a boundary throw in unopposed AND didn’t have a goalkeeper to stop a slow dribble goal. One glaring example of how poor we were last night.

Weitering was @#$%&! terrible

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:
As strange as it sounds I believe we are missing Boyd. He was the BP missing link for us. He could lockdown on a Stengle and his run, speed and elite ball use made us better

We need Boyd McGovern & Williams back before finals. It will make our defence to much better.

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad (Williams)

Is as good as any and so much better than having Plowman Stocker Newman and Newnes plying down there

McGovern is the only one who could reasonably expect to have an impact this year

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Thought Walsh was best on ground.
Fisher very good.
Liked Kennedy's competitiveness.
Curnow, Young and De Koning.
Encouraging performance from Motlop.
Someone shut down Duncan. Cottrell?
Hayes showed he can find the ball. Pity he doesn't kick it like O'Brien.

Cons:

Margin flattered Geelong.
Looked outsized and outmuscled. Getting a couple of big boys back will help.
Horrible defensive performance. Geelong kept getting players goalside and in space. They scored every 2nd time the ball got forward. Not going to win allowing that.
Centre clearances.
Unforced turnovers. Can't believe how many times we kicked it out of bounds.
Umpiring was really horrible. Soft undeserved clearances to stagers. And even worse, undeserved free kick goals. Geelong ruckman seemed to be allowed to cross the centre bounce line at will to stop De Koning's leap. Something Pittonet was repeatedly penalised for. Double standards with holding the ball. Etc.
Harry and Weitering. Hard to win when 2 of your best players are ineffectual.
Newman's had a terrific year, but kept turning it over.
Ball seemed to keep bouncing to Geelong's advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

bluebo baggers wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Epic fail

Panicky, Rushed, Fumbly, Slow , Indecisive, Mistake riddled football against a bunch of kissed on the dick umpires pets.

Frustrating as hell.

If there was a mistake to be made, we made it. Any chance of not playing the ball back into trouble? or taking the first option?

If there was a 50/50 ball that could bounce Geelong's way... it did.

If there was a 50/50 umpires call to be made... Geelong got it.

If Nafan Cheat Williamson was in the vicinity and he could @#$%&! us... he did.

I hate Geelong

Absolutely perfect summary

Yeah, hard to fault that summary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

The_Cranium wrote:
I think the biggest and most obvious difference between the sides was how well Geelong set up their zone and and how well drilled they are compared to us. Also their pressure when we had the ball was relentless.

Agree with this. I also thought the match up with Blicavs on Cripps was pretty good coaching. Selwood's being playing wing for much of the year, but they really loaded up with their big bodies to counter our strength.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next