Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Also find selections somewhat strange. Honey did nothing in his few senior games to show he'd add anything. I'd have preferred Dow and I'm not much of a Dow fan.
I would have retained Stocker too. Right now we need players who can stand up to the heat of finals footy. The first 20 minutes last week was as close as you'll get. Most of our players were totally spooked. Stock was one of the few who stood up in that period. I thought his next 3 quarters were somewhat average but I would have persisted with him as I think he showed he won't go to water in September.

Maybe Honey is selected to soften the blow Martin might have to face IF like for like replacement means Martin comes in as a sub, replacing Honey down the track, and he’s not an auto selection.

I’m sure there’s good reason.

Yeah Stocker was tough in the first quarter last week, but he wasn’t flawless for the next 3 quarters imo. I thought he looked slow and didn’t make good decisions. Went in har, tried hard, but lacked class imo. I’m not writing him off, but I’m glad Gov has been selected, coz I trust Vossy, and it’s obvious the MC think Plowman is ahead of Stocker. Plowman has a lot of detractors and was dropped from best 22 at the start of the season till Gov was injured. That says something about Stocker in the pecking order…It seems to me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
WOW wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Round 19 team v GWS

Backs: Adam Saad - Lewis Young - Lachie Plowman

Half-backs: Nic Newman - Jacob Weitering - Sam Docherty

Centreline: Matthew Cottrell - Patrick Cripps - Adam Cerra

Half-forwards: Jack Silvagni - Harry McKay - Will Setterfield

Forwards: Corey Durdin - Charlie Curnow - Jesse Motlop

Followers: Tom De Koning - Sam Walsh - Matthew Kennedy

Interchange: Zac Fisher - Josh Honey - Mitch McGovern - Lochie O'Brien

Emergencies: Paddy Dow - Lachie Fogarty - Jack Newnes - Liam Stocker

In: Honey, McGovern, O’Brien, Setterfield
Out: Hewett (back soreness), Hayes (suspended), Newnes, Stocker

The forward line really needs to lift

It has become too one dimensional

Our small forwards have been disappointing over the last few months

Crying out for a classy medium sized forward to compliment Charlie and Harry

Correct . And that is why Honey is in the side . He has got power and speed . He can accelerate , he has gears . And has a nasty streak . Plays with spite . Whats not to like ? one bloke on our list with a point of difference .

Agree.
Hasn’t set the world on fire since his return, but worth developing, and around the mark as far as the MC are concerned, with the current state of injuries. He’s only filling the sub role AFAIK, no big deal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
WOW wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Round 19 team v GWS

Backs: Adam Saad - Lewis Young - Lachie Plowman

Half-backs: Nic Newman - Jacob Weitering - Sam Docherty

Centreline: Matthew Cottrell - Patrick Cripps - Adam Cerra

Half-forwards: Jack Silvagni - Harry McKay - Will Setterfield

Forwards: Corey Durdin - Charlie Curnow - Jesse Motlop

Followers: Tom De Koning - Sam Walsh - Matthew Kennedy

Interchange: Zac Fisher - Josh Honey - Mitch McGovern - Lochie O'Brien

Emergencies: Paddy Dow - Lachie Fogarty - Jack Newnes - Liam Stocker

In: Honey, McGovern, O’Brien, Setterfield
Out: Hewett (back soreness), Hayes (suspended), Newnes, Stocker

The forward line really needs to lift

It has become too one dimensional

Our small forwards have been disappointing over the last few months

Crying out for a classy medium sized forward to compliment Charlie and Harry

True but I think Pittonet coming back will allow Silvagni to play the third role perfectly. Being second ruck is wearing him down.

Martin is the other option if he can get fit and improve his efforts. The talent is there

What I like now that McGovern is back he can be thrown forward when needed. Makes us better

Motlop & Durdin I like but are still learning. Owies is good and we have missed him. Honey still to be proven

Agree with all these points, and feel Durdin has been less impactful than Motlop and not in the form he was earlier in the season, but with Owies out injured, the MC feel they need him to play him for a role no one lse is capable of.

Honey is in probably picked because of the “type” of player the MC want for finals,bc Martin, Owies are out injured and Jack is part time 3rd tall, link up and ruck.

As players return we will know more about the MC’s game plan.

Gotta win tomorrow.

Can’t wait to join the Blue Army tomorrow and screen my guts out with my mad friends, and a few more new converts whilst I’m in Melbourne.

2 more wins, and then the 3 practise Finals games to tune us up. Salivating

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Dow Pittonet & Marchbank put forward their case for selection in the VFL tonight

I was happy to see them getting minutes, and whilst they put forward their case, I didn’t see anything compelling to warrant selection if no injuries or suspensions in tomorrow’s win, and I’m expecting Hewitt next week.

I would be Pitto to get our 2 rucks going again and causing issues for opposition mixing it up with TDK and Jack in the forward line….and most important, giving Charlie and Harry more freedom. They are the match winners for us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

What Bondy said….

get Pitto back…Hewitt…and lets start building
some early season form…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:58 am 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Honestly I don't get the hype around Stocker.

Are we all hoping he makes it because he was part of the brave SOS trade?

By thta statement, I’d say you don’t know much about football or don’t watch Stocker enough but maybe that just me and a million others who are wrong.

Forget that Traveller is asking a question, and questioning Stockers ability, when it’s his form that should be questioned, because all our first rounders have ability.

I can’t let this go to the keeper. Stocker has a lot of detractors, and I would put it to you we don’t have a million people out there who have even noticed Stocker. Furthermore, forget the poster who you think doesn’t know anything about football, are you saying the same about the blokes who have dropped Stocker? Voss, Hansen, Clarke, Power and the backline coach Hamill?

Come on Surrey. Maybe you’re fixed with ideals and not focussed on current form or ones ability to perform a role

I like Stocker, but there’s a few things he isn’t doing as a BP, but should given he’s a midfielder.
Have a look at Boyd and Williams and see what they bring to the position that Stocker doesn’t. I know Stocker is a good old fashioned footballer, tough at the contest, and puts his body on the line, but we need more than that if we can get it. Maybe he’s too mechanical and safe. I think he showed some intent to run hard in his last VFL game, but he failed again to bring that run last week when it really counted.

What’s obvious to me is the MC have Boyd and Williams ahead of Stocker when available, and this week, Not only Plowman who plays against stalls, but also McGovern. Our backline has performed well without Stocker this year. He’s a lot further back than your ratings. Ditti Cottrell.

You also have it in for Cottrell too. He’s a year younger than Stocker, is obviously rated by the MC, and me, along with many others, and you’re writing him off. I don’t see any other player with the weapon Cottrell has. LOB comes close with endurance, but not speed, but LOB has been dropped and came in this week because the player ahead of him, Hayes, was suspended ircLOB is behind Hayes and Cottrell. Imo the reason is obvious and It’s only a now thing: form counts, fan favouritism doesn’t.

Think about it. We have a lot of developing young players who are not consistent. Setterfield got 40 possessions last week and has strung 3 good games in a row. He’s been recalled. Stocker may well be too. It’s not the end of the world.

We all know something about football and have opinions and bias, but we have to give credit to the MC: they know something we don’t. Plus, they want to have a look at all their options, but they also need to win games and give their supporters and President what they want: Finals.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:29 am 
Bob Chitty

Just find a way to get the 4 points. Keep a 2 game buffer on 8th

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:53 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Dow Pittonet & Marchbank put forward their case for selection in the VFL tonight

I was happy to see them getting minutes, and whilst they put forward their case, I didn’t see anything compelling to warrant selection if no injuries or suspensions in tomorrow’s win, and I’m expecting Hewitt next week.

I would be Pitto to get our 2 rucks going again and causing issues for opposition mixing it up with TDK and Jack in the forward line….and most important, giving Charlie and Harry more freedom. They are the match winners for us.

Agree. What I like now is options and competition for spots. Pittonet is just building fitness. I expect him & Hewett back next week

I do see continued improvement in Dow. Doing well

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 am 
Ken Hunter

Capt Obvious here but I guess Durdin out (VFL last night) and Lachie Fogarty or Jack Newnes in.

Sound about right?

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
Capt Obvious here but I guess Durdin out (VFL last night) and Lachie Fogarty or Jack Newnes in.

Sound about right?

Regards Cazzesman

Sam Durdin?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:

Sound about right?

Regards Cazzesman

Fog and Newnes didn’t play vfl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Honestly I don't get the hype around Stocker.

Are we all hoping he makes it because he was part of the brave SOS trade?

By thta statement, I’d say you don’t know much about football or don’t watch Stocker enough but maybe that just me and a million others who are wrong.

Forget that Traveller is asking a question, and questioning Stockers ability, when it’s his form that should be questioned, because all our first rounders have ability.

I can’t let this go to the keeper. Stocker has a lot of detractors, and I would put it to you we don’t have a million people out there who have even noticed Stocker. Furthermore, forget the poster who you think doesn’t know anything about football, are you saying the same about the blokes who have dropped Stocker? Voss, Hansen, Clarke, Power and the backline coach Hamill?

Come on Surrey. Maybe you’re fixed with ideals and not focussed on current form or ones ability to perform a role

I like Stocker, but there’s a few things he isn’t doing as a BP, but should given he’s a midfielder.
Have a look at Boyd and Williams and see what they bring to the position that Stocker doesn’t. I know Stocker is a good old fashioned footballer, tough at the contest, and puts his body on the line, but we need more than that if we can get it. Maybe he’s too mechanical and safe. I think he showed some intent to run hard in his last VFL game, but he failed again to bring that run last week when it really counted.

What’s obvious to me is the MC have Boyd and Williams ahead of Stocker when available, and this week, Not only Plowman who plays against stalls, but also McGovern. Our backline has performed well without Stocker this year. He’s a lot further back than your ratings. Ditti Cottrell.

You also have it in for Cottrell too. He’s a year younger than Stocker, is obviously rated by the MC, and me, along with many others, and you’re writing him off. I don’t see any other player with the weapon Cottrell has. LOB comes close with endurance, but not speed, but LOB has been dropped and came in this week because the player ahead of him, Hayes, was suspended ircLOB is behind Hayes and Cottrell. Imo the reason is obvious and It’s only a now thing: form counts, fan favouritism doesn’t.

Think about it. We have a lot of developing young players who are not consistent. Setterfield got 40 possessions last week and has strung 3 good games in a row. He’s been recalled. Stocker may well be too. It’s not the end of the world.

We all know something about football and have opinions and bias, but we have to give credit to the MC: they know something we don’t. Plus, they want to have a look at all their options, but they also need to win games and give their supporters and President what they want: Finals.

:lol: :lol:

Kiss emoticon

Point is, no one knows if our plethora of first rounders will make it, and we need to do our best t develop them. Some may not make our best 22, but do all right elsewhere.

I wish e could hold onto all of them like the old days but I’ve learned not to get too attached.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:36 am 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:

Sound about right?

Regards Cazzesman

C.Durdin didn’t play VFL last night, it was S.Durdin. The AFL website did a BT.

I’m assuming Newnes is sub and Fogarty is the carry over emergency (or vice versa).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

Clear free kick TD... Preuss? Just because

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Why not a free against TDK at the opening bounce?
Clearly had ball in left arm, not held in.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

I just set up a match thread, y'all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

Shaky start, turnover city recent returnees all looking off it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14