Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I think Kemp will be a better player than Plowman.

Plowman is currently a better defender than Kemp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
I think Kemp will be a better player than Plowman.

Plowman is currently a better defender than Kemp.

This year we have had players like Williams, McGovern, McDonald, Marchbank, Weitering, Plowman, Saad and Young all miss games this year in our defence and not once have we conceded 100 points

Yes I know that list includes other players besides Plowman. BUT on exposed form and despite his "deficiencies" he has clearly been very good in most games this year. He certainly is a far better defender than Kemp right now (and thats not to say Kemp won't eventually become a better player either).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Us….

Freo and Go Dees haven’t given up 100
points…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:13 am 
Rod Ashman

FarmerBlue wrote:
muzza wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
In: Weitering, Durdin and Owies
Out: Plowman, Honey, Newnes

Medical Sub: Newnes

Am I the only still perplexed by the "Plowman out" narrative at every chance?

From where I have been sitting including in front of the TV and at games watching, he goes well...very well in many instances.

I get the whipping boy bit, but I thought we were beyond that now.

He has been very good...to exceptional, in some matches this year.

Anyway....

I haven't been in the anti Plowman camp and still aren't but he makes a lot of basic mistakes and gets caught out a lot. I don't like him playing deep. Don't think it's his go. More running HB or even wing

We have McGovern Marchbank Parks Kemp that all suit the roll better. Everyone fit I don't think Plowman is close to best 22

With Weitering back I would play Weitering Young & Kemp as our talls supported by Docherty Saad Newman and possibly Cottrell or Newnes? Boyd & Williams are in when fit

On exposed form Plowman is better than all of those listed. Big potential in McGovern and Marchbank if they can stay fit though and Kemp could develop nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:53 am 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
Last year's loss to these guys was our worst of the year. Everything on the line and they had no one and we folded.

This game looms as similarly crucial, we need to beat wce

these are bad memories. I had supressed them until now

thanks hammer

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:29 am 
Harry Vallence

Very interesting selection coming up although we won't know full side until tomorrow night.

I expect Weitering & Owies to come straight in. S.Durdin, Martin are possible considerations. Names like Hayes, Setterfield, Dow, Stocker are close as well.

Under pressure to keep their spots are Plowman Kemp Honey C.Durdin and maybe Newnes. Some for team balance and maybe some need a break or to go back and work on a few things. Positive is we have reserves playing again this week and several players back from injury.

Hopefully only one more week without Pittonet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:02 am 
Wayne Johnston

An interesting dimension is that we’ll need to take a squad of players to Perth, so at least three will likely not lay any matches for the weekend as the VFL team plays Saturday night.

Even if we don’t play Big Durds likely he will make the trip anyway along with Dow and Honey probably. Depends if we take Martin or just let him play some vfl instead.

Good that Fogherty and Curnow will be able to bolster the VFL team in this situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

Weitering and Owies straight in.
Interchange from: Adam Cerra, Sam Durdin, Corey Durdin, Zac Fisher, Will Hayes, Josh Honey, Jack Newnes, Will Setterfield

You'd expect Cerra and Fish and C Durdin to play given past history. The question is will Sam Durdin play as a third tall or will that be Plow?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:42 pm 
Robert Walls

Round 17 squad v Fremantle

Backs: Adam Saad - Lewis Young - Lachie Plowman

Half-backs: Nic Newman - Jacob Weitering - Sam Docherty

Centreline: Lochie O'Brien - Patrick Cripps - Matthew Kennedy

Half-forwards: Jack Silvagni - Charlie Curnow - Matthew Cottrell

Forwards: Jesse Motlop - Harry McKay - Matthew Owies

Followers: Tom De Koning - Sam Walsh - George Hewett

Interchange from: Adam Cerra - Sam Durdin - Corey Durdin - Zac Fisher - Will Hayes - Josh Honey - Jack Newnes - Will Setterfield

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Side looks so much better with Weitering in it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:07 pm 
Bruce Comben

Does anyone know what’s happening with Liam Stocker. I thought it was glaringly obvious last week that him not coming in to replace Boyd was a mistake. Now he’s not even going to be an emergency.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

I feel a moral obligation to remind the world that Paddy Dow still exists despite being overtaken by everyone in the eyes of the selectors and this despite his regular winning of coaches votes. Don't think Cerra, Newnes or Honey offered that much more than Dow would have last week and whilst Motlop gets to the right spots, he rarely wins his own ball at this stage.
Hope Paddy isn't a confidence player because watching Will Hayes walk right past him after being there for 5 minutes would be fairly disheartening (no slight on Hayes - he is a good player who works hard)
Anyway - I feel I have fulfilled my mission and will now heartily support whoever runs out!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:01 pm 
Bruce Comben

Stocker and Dow coming in right now both make a lot of sense and I’m worried for both of them that they are not getting a look in right now. We're not winning the midfield battle most weeks as of late and Dow being a strong clearance player would certainly help in that regard. It’s glaringly obvious that Voss does not rate Paddy Dow. Also, am I the only Carlton supporter who still wants to see Liam Stocker be given a try in the midfield ? We heard so much about how great a clearance player he was before he got drafted. I’d just like them to try it for one game. What’s the worst thing that could happen ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:21 pm 
Wayne Johnston

carntheblues wrote:
Weitering and Owies straight in.
Interchange from: Adam Cerra, Sam Durdin, Corey Durdin, Zac Fisher, Will Hayes, Josh Honey, Jack Newnes, Will Setterfield

You'd expect Cerra and Fish and C Durdin to play given past history. The question is will Sam Durdin play as a third tall or will that be Plow?

I’m thinking that the seventh defence slot is between Newness and Durdin, and they’re deciding whether they need and extra tall or not.

Plus Sam is cover for any defenders being late outs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kftorly78 wrote:
Does anyone know what’s happening with Liam Stocker. I thought it was glaringly obvious last week that him not coming in to replace Boyd was a mistake. Now he’s not even going to be an emergency.

I don't think we have anyone other than Walsh, Saad, Williams who could replace what Boyd gives the team in a BP.

Liam looked good in the last VFL game, taking marks and going for a lot of kicks down the line, so, not as much run and carry as Boyd brings. That's the diff I guess.

I think Stocker may end up joining the inside mids queue, all first round picks like him too: Dow, Setterfield, Fogarty, Cuningham, Philp, Martin could be, and SPS was :wink:

Back line looks set with Willams joining Doc Saad and Newman....you see, Boyd may be squeezed out when all fit.

Good luck Stocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:52 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Arnhem blues wrote:
I feel a moral obligation to remind the world that Paddy Dow still exists despite being overtaken by everyone in the eyes of the selectors and this despite his regular winning of coaches votes. Don't think Cerra, Newnes or Honey offered that much more than Dow would have last week and whilst Motlop gets to the right spots, he rarely wins his own ball at this stage.
Hope Paddy isn't a confidence player because watching Will Hayes walk right past him after being there for 5 minutes would be fairly disheartening (no slight on Hayes - he is a good player who works hard)
Anyway - I feel I have fulfilled my mission and will now heartily support whoever runs out!

Not sure criticising Motlop for not winning his own ball makes much sense in this context.

If Dow keeps winning coaches votes then why do coaches not pick him?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:53 am 
Harry Vallence

kftorly78 wrote:

Being made back into a midfielder. He knows and understands this. All good. Big preseason coming up for him. With Boyd stepping up, Williams to come back we have enough defenders. Playing back was only part of his development

Dow is playing well but coaching staff don't want him coming in and playing unfamiliar role. He is seen as a mid and being used that way after years of poor development. Put simply there isn't a spot for him at the moment

Good sides always have good players who can't get a game. Their time will come

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The team I'd like to see run out vs Weagirls.

B: Durdin Weitering Newman
HB Docherty Young Saad

F: DeKoning Hewett Walsh
C: Cottrell Cripps OBrien

HF: Fisher Curnow Kennedy
F: Silvagni McKay Owies

I: Plowman Durdin Motlop Cerra
S: Newnes

Instead of robbing Silvagni from the running link up role to play 2nd ruck, Sam Durdin can go into the ruck for 5 mins each quarter and Plow can play 3rd tall as well as rotate with the other backmen.

If its true Cerra injured his knee at training last Thursday, I expect him to be fully fit this week after last week's poor performance.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:50 am 
Geoff Southby

muzza wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
In: Weitering, Durdin and Owies
Out: Plowman, Honey, Newnes

Medical Sub: Newnes

Am I the only still perplexed by the "Plowman out" narrative at every chance?

From where I have been sitting including in front of the TV and at games watching, he goes well...very well in many instances.

I get the whipping boy bit, but I thought we were beyond that now.

He has been very good...to exceptional, in some matches this year.

Anyway....

I'm with you, I think he plays his role well.
All players make mistakes and have clangers, but only a few have them noted every single week, even after a win.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:56 am 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
kftorly78 wrote:

Being made back into a midfielder. He knows and understands this. All good. Big preseason coming up for him. With Boyd stepping up, Williams to come back we have enough defenders. Playing back was only part of his development

Dow is playing well but coaching staff don't want him coming in and playing unfamiliar role. He is seen as a mid and being used that way after years of poor development. Put simply there isn't a spot for him at the moment

Good sides always have good players who can't get a game. Their time will come

I see this as a good thing, we have done wrong by Dow and now we are finally making amends.
He will be a gun, he just needs time to get his level up to what we already have and work on his deficiencies.
Good to hear they are changing Stocker's role too, I reckon he will cause some damage in the middle.
Like I've said before, we are 1 A grade mid short and if we can develop one or both of these guys......look out.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next