Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
TheDenominator wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
1) early in the first I think about BV's concern with Cerra on the wing and no defender brought in to replace Boyd and...and he was right. The Cerra move simply unsettled the wingers that had been working...and I think we were a small defender short all night!

2) @#$%&! me could we just kick straight!!!!!

3) @#$%&! me do we have to gift 4 goals a game with stupid decisions.

4) 15 minutes in I turned to my brother and said we are not playing like last week, more like last year

5) I @#$%&! hate St Kilda!

We had seriously the most annoying flog of a saint fan sitting near us last night and it just made the experience even more @#$%&! frustrating!
How the @#$%&! these flogs get into Carlton reserved seating areas frustrates me even more

Probably the best thing I heard was from a Carlton supporter who after one our many many points shouted
"Hey goal umpire, can you show us how many flags the saints have won...oh, only ONE! Thanks goal umpire"
Had never heard that one before so thanks to whoever shouted that out..

I thought we gifted them more than 4 goals by the way

I have :

- Plowman's shit dump kick to Membrey for their first. Kick it higher and longer for @#$%&! sake
- Young's shit centre for a turnover in the first - cant remember who he was trying to hit
- OBrien's fumble from a Newnes handball in the second. This one changed the momentum of the second qtr. We looked to be getting on top.
- Hewett's indiscriminate handball backwards into our defensive 50 straight to Butler who waltzed in for a goal.
- Cerra's turnover inside 50 for a Ryder goal also in the second
- OBrien's turnover which was very similar to Young's where he went to Kennedy instead of the safer Newman option late in the 3rd. Scores were level at this point
- Plowman's dropped chest mark and inability to recover and tackle very late in the 3rd

All very avoidable goals and when combined with the fumbles we had that either cost us other goals or opportunities to attack + the woeful set shot kicking and that flower saints fan it was just a shit night at the footy

Don't disagree with any of that and not suggesting you are but our forwards deserve a whack too.
TDK missing what an under 10s player would kick. Aints take it up other end kick a goal. Then another. 18 points right there. Charlie 1.4 or something unacceptable. Honey missing very easy shots.
Corey having one he should've snagged. Instead gives it off to JSOS who misses. Both at fault there. JSOS selfishly calling for it when in a worse position. Corey should've ignored him and kicked it himself.
Hewett missing an easy one.
JSOS in the last. Running into goal 40 to 45 out. Nobody coming at him. Don't know what the flowering hell he was trying to do but it was utter garbage.

Imagine Finals, let alone a Grand Final for a minute.

One ruck in TDK playing, or Pitto, but one ruck. He needs to have a chop out, moreso than a H & A game because the stakes are higher, thus raising intensity and effort and with that using more energy consumed.

Same happens to Jack: he tires too. His No. 1 role is a link up forward because he's a good forward and kicks and creates goals, often crunch goals when we badly need one.

Every one agrees Jack runs his guts out as a forward. He plays the forward role more like a high half forward, and you will find him forward, midfield and even in defence providing a marking link up consistently.

When Jack is called to do the ruck duties twice a quarter against ruckmen 10-15kgs heavier, stronger, he isn't having a breather, and he keeps soldiering on, and when the ball hits the ground, we all know Jack will do the roving too. He doesn't stop giving effort that requires energy.

Despite the surname conjuring up thoughts of deity, Jack is only human.

He can't be all things to all people and the team. We need him as the high half forward, because he is a running machine. Yes, a running machine, not to be confused as a 3rd tall. If we go back to round 1 game, TDK was the 3rd tall forward when Pitto was in the ruck and Jack was running up the wing, into defence providing a link, and in that role, a couple times he had no opponent when he came back into the forward 50...marking and kicking a goal.

IMO, Jack is being worn out by the 2nd ruck role. He would not be doing that if we had 2 rucks....and as a result, with fresher legs he would kick those open goals from 40 out.

Now we point out the opportunity loss, but that's the cost of having Jack as the 2nd ruck. You can't have it all, something has to give.

Play 2 rucks, and we will when Pitto is back, and I expect Jack to be very dangerous around goal, instead of labouring.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

daggs001 wrote:
I reckon JSOS is a barometer of how we are going. When he has a stinker we seem to play poorly. He was pretty bad by foot all night, especially in the first half.
The other is O'Brien. Perhaps he bothers me more than other players and I'm unfair on him, but if ever a player was going to cost us a finals win, O'Brien is that player.
His turnovers that lead to goals last night were momentum killers.

LOB is still learning his trade whilst the team is playing for 4 points.
Whether he makes the grade or not, we don't know.

What I do know is LOB is playing the wing role because he's the best we have.
Yeah, I know he can run and you find him in the last line of defence for cover.
Is that where you want LOB, one on one, in a Finals game when its hot hot hot?

He is not a Finals footballer. He will be a liability when the heat is on. Period.

We are building a team. We have a lot of injuries, and we have a few gaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Let’s say we had Stocker, Weitering, Curnow, McGovern, Martin, whomever in the team.

Let’s say that gives us an extra 5 shots on goal.

We scored at 21% on the night so an extra five shots would have given us 1 goal 4. That’s 10 extra points, guess what, we still lose.

Not if those above replaced those who gave away any of the 7 goals from turnover.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Dodo27 wrote:
Cerra had a Game he rather forget- didn't look fit and ready to resume playing.....

Gave up a Crucial Goal with a brain-fade backward pass that went no where!

He was in no mans land.

Really wasn't ready for the step up to seniors. That's on him and the coaching staff.

He didnt even look like he was trying. No zip, always rushed, couldn't find space and that's because he was slow of mind and legs.
I seriously wondered if he had COVID again during his two week injury.

I don't think his output can be blamed on him playing on the wing. That's a cop out.

Cerra didnt look good when he had the ball, nothing to do with his position....he didn't fail with his wing kicks, or wing handballs. The football skills we traded for failed him.

He was the lowest ranked player on the ground.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

As usual I admired the post match interview with Voss.

Sure he like to keep things positive and references the season as a Transitional season, and growth, but he put it simply:

"We had enough of the footy on our terms to win the game, but all the best method in the world can't overcome efficiency being off."

* We didn't respect the opposition enough from the outset.
* We over used the ball
* we didnt take opportunities to convert
* 7 goals from the back half
* We had 29-30 shots @57% eficiency that would normally get you a win, but we lost.

He said "Yes its disappointing and frustrating, but we only need to correct a couple things" , plus "players coming back...."

One week at a time...Weitering and Owies back next week...didn't mention Martin.
McGovern back round 18.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

My Bottom 6

1. Cerra
2. Honey
3. LOB
4. Kemp
5. Durdin
6. Newnes

I wasn't happy with the following performances either:
- Jack
- Curnow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:

One week at a time...Weitering and Owies back next week...didn't mention Martin.
McGovern back round 18.

Pittonet in a week or so. Massive inclusion for many reasons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:28 pm 
Craig Bradley

A couple of stats that caught my eye:

-32 uncontested marks - Billings 10, Sinclair 10, Wanganeen-Milera 5… all in the defensive half.

Honey, Durdin, Motlop - 68% game time or less… that’s 40min on the bench.

They’re all young blokes, busting a gut… just maybe haven’t got the mix right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

McGovern back round 18.

Pittonet in a week or so. Massive inclusion for many reasons

Massive Massive

The team changes big time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:

-32 uncontested marks - Billings 10, Sinclair 10, Wanganeen-Milera 5… all in the defensive half.

Glaring problem

Great stats cru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Still very annoyed but feel better after watching the Voss press conference this morning.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Fought the game out after a poor start.
Walsh, Young, Cripps, Newman, De Koning, Kennedy and Cottrell.
Saad's 2nd half.
Motlop got chopped up by Sinclair, but was pretty exciting nonetheless.

Cons:

Out pressured and outtackled.
Inaccuracy.
Usually we've come well-prepared to start well against 'under pressure' teams. Not this week.
Centre clearances.
Horrible, defensive turnover goals. We dominated the play in the 2nd half and still managed to get outscored.
The channel 7 Saints supporting producer who kept showing the free kick count every time we got a free.
Number of our good players were poor: Cerra, Hewett, Charlie, Harry and SOJ.
Couple of our fringe players were very poor: O'Brien, Plowman and Newnes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

grrofunger wrote:
Still very annoyed but feel better after watching the Voss press conference this morning.

Its a real leveler. :thumbsup:

Boys will win for you next week gro on your turf....and a turf that was Carlton turf long before it was Weagirls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Glaring problem

Great stats cru

52 pressure acts between them - which is a lot - to contribute towards the recycle, but it just feels like the pack was a man down for most of the game.

Possibly compounded by the second level (midfield) having to carry Kennedy 66% and Cerra 71%

In any case, it was a fairly leaky boat last night. Vossy summed it up perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

I don't know that we should be getting too excited about McGovern's return. He's played 35 of a possible 88 games with us, including 7 last year and 2 so far in 2022, and you could count the decent games amongst them on one hand. Yes, I know his two games this year were good, but with his hamstring issues it's hard to feel confident about him stringing too many games together good or bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

79Vintage wrote:
Watching Voss' press conference he is realistic to where we are at. Gives me confidence we are in good hands. Stick fat everyone

Agree. He's fantastic in the post-game pressers. But that was perhaps his best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:03 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

FarmerBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Disappointed but injuries to so many key players brings inconsistencies.

Kick straight and we win and I thought last night highlighted how valuable Pittonet & Weitering are and we still could have won.

Even playing poorly and missing players out structure holds up. We’ve come a long way this year but have improvement to come

I"ll go further than that . I reckon Weitering and McGovern are as important to us as Steven May and Jake Lever are to the Dee's .

P S ....................round of applause for Keogh . Thats pretty good " Special K ".

Weitering makes our defence so much better for so many reasons. McGovern as well. We are a 5-6 goal better side with them in.

I haven't been a bagger of Plowman before but he isn't a best 22 player. Kemp, McGovern and/or Marchbank are much much better options as third tall
Oh we should have played McGovern or Marchbank eh. Why didn't we? Stupid us!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

TheDenominator wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
1) early in the first I think about BV's concern with Cerra on the wing and no defender brought in to replace Boyd and...and he was right. The Cerra move simply unsettled the wingers that had been working...and I think we were a small defender short all night!

2) @#$%&! me could we just kick straight!!!!!

3) @#$%&! me do we have to gift 4 goals a game with stupid decisions.

4) 15 minutes in I turned to my brother and said we are not playing like last week, more like last year

5) I @#$%&! hate St Kilda!

We had seriously the most annoying flog of a saint fan sitting near us last night and it just made the experience even more @#$%&! frustrating!
How the @#$%&! these flogs get into Carlton reserved seating areas frustrates me even more

Probably the best thing I heard was from a Carlton supporter who after one our many many points shouted
"Hey goal umpire, can you show us how many flags the saints have won...oh, only ONE! Thanks goal umpire"
Had never heard that one before so thanks to whoever shouted that out..

I thought we gifted them more than 4 goals by the way

I have :

- Plowman's shit dump kick to Membrey for their first. Kick it higher and longer for @#$%&! sake
- Young's shit centre for a turnover in the first - cant remember who he was trying to hit
- OBrien's fumble from a Newnes handball in the second. This one changed the momentum of the second qtr. We looked to be getting on top.
- Hewett's indiscriminate handball backwards into our defensive 50 straight to Butler who waltzed in for a goal.
- Cerra's turnover inside 50 for a Ryder goal also in the second
- OBrien's turnover which was very similar to Young's where he went to Kennedy instead of the safer Newman option late in the 3rd. Scores were level at this point
- Plowman's dropped chest mark and inability to recover and tackle very late in the 3rd

All very avoidable goals and when combined with the fumbles we had that either cost us other goals or opportunities to attack + the woeful set shot kicking and that flower saints fan it was just a shit night at the footy

Very good post.

Unfortunately.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
I don't know that we should be getting too excited about McGovern's return. He's played 35 of a possible 88 games with us, including 7 last year and 2 so far in 2022, and you could count the decent games amongst them on one hand. Yes, I know his two games this year were good, but with his hamstring issues it's hard to feel confident about him stringing too many games together good or bad.

This year is the only thing that counts.

Gov hasn't done his hammy for 16 weeks. :wink:
Maybe he's been rebuilt.

Always got to go with best available.

I recall Lions 2nd and 3rd Flag they bought in their injury prone ruckman Clark Keating for the Finals.
Without Chapman, the Lions would not have won 3 in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

MVP Voting: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37550

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next