Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 am 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Blaming umpires for poor decisions is a futile and tiresome exercise

It's also a losers mentality, low hanging fruit for venting, even though most will say that we "oh, I didn't say we lost because of the umpires but their decisions impacted or whatever blah blah"

Umps make howlers but we rarely talk about howlers that we get away with

Play with effort, execution, grit and system and we win more often than we lose, regardless of the umps or the ARC or whatever

PS. The boundary umpire officiating at the 79 Grand Final says hello

It aint fair , but that's the way it is ...............Good stuff 99 . I'm with you .

Thanks Mick...I have a mate who I continuously argue with about injuries (a bit like umpires)

he keeps finding ways of giving me apocalyptic scenarios about our mounting injuries and I keep telling him that at least 2 of our 4 losses had nothing to do with injuries

I look at the game we played, the system, the effort, the execution, the decision making etc. to judge why we won or lost a game. I'm not as analytical as others and its a Dennis Denuto vibe I sense from watching the game

Injuries and umps are out of our control and I refuse to use them as a "therapy dog" to keep me calm when I know we could've done better with the personnel we had and with the opportunities we gave ourselves

The Rich game was the perfect example...we got ourselves 6 goals down bc we played flowering DUMB dry weather football against the best wet weather football exponents in the comp (and almost pinched it)...not because of the ARC or because of our injuries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am 
Harry Vallence

Special mention to Zac Fisher. I watched the replay last night and he was better than I thought. He was awesome. He connection between midfield and forward line is excellent and his ball use brilliant. Great game and another who has thrived under Voss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:22 am 
Robert Walls

FarmerBlue wrote:
Special mention to Zac Fisher. I watched the replay last night and he was better than I thought. He was awesome. He connection between midfield and forward line is excellent and his ball use brilliant. Great game and another who has thrived under Voss

Yep. I thought it was one of his best games for the club. Correct me if I am wrong, but he didn't get caught with the ball trying to do too much like he has in the past.

I think his decision making has improved immensely. He seems to take a moment to balance himself and look for the short option when going inside F50, which has made him a much more important cog in our side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Very true…

he’s back to his AFL X form…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
AGRO wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I can say this because we won…..

The umpires were terrible.

There. I said it.

Brett Rosebury #8 was Nathan “The Cheat” Williamsonesque today I thought.

I thought his tape measure performance calling Cottrell for running 14 metres 99 centimetres was particularly bad :roll:

Rosebury was atrocious. I'd be interested to see his stats for frees for/against yesterday.
Lots to like. I was concerned when players were more freely kicking on their non dominant side earlier in the season but they're obviously working hard on it. Examples by Docherty, Walsh and Hewitt were very good and one from Fish to Silvagni was a beauty. The best was Durdins left footy bullet to JSOS that steadied the ship in the 3rd quarter. Elite skills.

Hewitt isn't a great ball user but he's a heart and soul player. I thought he was fantastic yesterday. He reminds me of Ed. When we need someone to bust a gut and create an option, George will always make the effort.
His ability to reduce Brayshaws effectiveness whilst impacting himself has gone by unnoticed by the media and analysts.
A shame to see Boyd injured. His kicking out of defence is exceptional and will be missed if he has a syndesmosis injury

Have you heard this anywhere? I didnt see him hobbling or limping, so have no idea.

No, but I get more concerned these days when players have ankle injuries. Syndesmosis seems to have sprung from nowhere and is the injury of the times. Much like OP was a decade ago.
Not hobbling after the game isn't really an indicator. Walsh played out a practice match and still required surgery.
Hopefully he recovers well and plays next week.

good onya BV

Its what I thought about syndesmosis, sometimes you can't tell the damage is done, and I don't think minor syndesmosis is something you can ignore and play on.

Fingers crossed, Boydy is a beauty and getting better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:

It's also a losers mentality, low hanging fruit for venting, even though most will say that we "oh, I didn't say we lost because of the umpires but their decisions impacted or whatever blah blah"

Play with effort, execution, grit and system and we win more often than we lose, regardless of the umps or the ARC or whatever

I agree that we have to be bigger and better than the opposition and therefore the umpiring. That's the ticket to success. And the boys are doing it...done it 10 times this year.

But I don't see my bitching at umpires or the AFL Commission as a 'loser's mentality'.

I am just human and display a normal human reaction to unjust decisions against anything that is mine: me, my family, my friends, my team.....coz its what I saw, and I define it as I see it, and if its blatant cheating, its blatant cheating and I will call it as such. Why hide from that? I know you're response, but we are different.

I like to let my feelings out at the footy, coz it feels good. Even if I'm amongst opposition supporters, so its not to do with Mass Hysteria or the like. I do a lot of things that feel good but for some, they choose not to cross the line. Carpa diem. Live life to the fullest then die.

Some people are extraverts and some people are meek, and others are in the middle somewhere. Each to their own....now what were we saying about those prix Rosebury, Nathan, Eleni....Gil, Ronnie Evans....@#$%&! 'em. They give me grief, and I choose to let them get under my skin, so I can justify giving them double.

I don't want to act my age or my socio economic class. I want to be a passionate Carlton Fan and leave it all on the ground like I expect my team to do...and if the players can't disagree with umps to avoid penalty, then I will do the disageeing for them.

Hey, I admire your measured style 99, but I'd have to have 10,000 joints to control my enthusiasm at the footy. Power to you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Don’t fall off your chair folks
But I think we can win the flag this year provided that we can avoid more injuries and get a few back

Our footy is simple but can hold up to finals pressure
You must bat deep in the midfield
Hewitt has been terrific
Kennedy has got better
Cerra complements those mids as he is an outside mid
Walsh is a freak
O’ Brien is getting better a big surprise to me
Always liked Cottrell Having these guys in provides us with run
Owies Motlop Durdinand now Honey provide terrific forward line pressure
Young has done a good job in defence
Kemp is a better third option down back than Plowman
when Weitering returns. Better kick better footy brain
Boyd hasn’t been too bad although Williams may be a better option down back
McKay and Curnow are a handful and complement each other

I am a firm believer that the best bottom six players get you over the line in the big games
Saturdays win was the best team effort of the season
And it was done without
Williams
McGovern
Martin
Setterfield
4 blokes who cost us a lot of combined picks and salary cap space

If we win the flag I’ll be the first to say I was wrong on many points
Not all of them mind you

But it’s that sort of season
It’s so open

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

Three cheers for " Special K ".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

I agree that we have to be bigger and better than the opposition and therefore the umpiring. That's the ticket to success. And the boys are doing it...done it 10 times this year.

But I don't see my bitching at umpires or the AFL Commission as a 'loser's mentality'.

I am just human and display a normal human reaction to unjust decisions against anything that is mine: me, my family, my friends, my team.....coz its what I saw, and I define it as I see it, and if its blatant cheating, its blatant cheating and I will call it as such. Why hide from that? I know you're response, but we are different.

I like to let my feelings out at the footy, coz it feels good. Even if I'm amongst opposition supporters, so its not to do with Mass Hysteria or the like. I do a lot of things that feel good but for some, they choose not to cross the line. Carpa diem. Live life to the fullest then die.

Some people are extraverts and some people are meek, and others are in the middle somewhere. Each to their own....now what were we saying about those prix Rosebury, Nathan, Eleni....Gil, Ronnie Evans....@#$%&! 'em. They give me grief, and I choose to let them get under my skin, so I can justify giving them double.

I don't want to act my age or my socio economic class. I want to be a passionate Carlton Fan and leave it all on the ground like I expect my team to do...and if the players can't disagree with umps to avoid penalty, then I will do the disageeing for them.

Hey, I admire your measured style 99, but I'd have to have 10,000 joints to control my enthusiasm at the footy. Power to you

Bondi...we all bitch about the umpires (I do it all the time in the moment) and it was not directed at anybody specifically...so firstly, I'll apologise if you took it that way!

By losers mentality, I'm really referring to supporters of teams I grew up watching who were no good...they'd find distractions (like umpiring, injuries, rich clubs buying players, lauding their odd champion like Flower or Barker etc) when Carlton just got on with the job of winning flags

That's what I want right now. I argue with my mates that we can't control it (including injuries) and we move on after we've torn strips off that umpire in the moment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
Three cheers for " Special K ".

Yes, took a lot of "fibre" to make that speech...a purge of sorts

You've made my day Keogh...I too believe that anything is possible...one game at a time

Right now, let's put a massive nail in STk coffin...that's all we need to be thinking about

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:27 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

PS. I lose it at the footy BIG TIME with all manner of emotions
I lose it even worse at home...my two sons go and watch the game in their rooms and my wife calls me a lunatic
Once the game is over, I focus on what the players and coaches did poorly or well...i figure they can learn from it but the umps won't go back and fix up the errors they made

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

OK, who @#$%&! hacked Keoghs account?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Don’t fall off your chair folks
But I think we can win the flag this year provided that we can avoid more injuries and get a few back

Our footy is simple but can hold up to finals pressure
You must bat deep in the midfield
Hewitt has been terrific
Kennedy has got better
Cerra complements those mids as he is an outside mid
Walsh is a freak
O’ Brien is getting better a big surprise to me
Always liked Cottrell Having these guys in provides us with run
Owies Motlop Durdinand now Honey provide terrific forward line pressure
Young has done a good job in defence
Kemp is a better third option down back than Plowman
when Weitering returns. Better kick better footy brain
Boyd hasn’t been too bad although Williams may be a better option down back
McKay and Curnow are a handful and complement each other

I am a firm believer that the best bottom six players get you over the line in the big games
Saturdays win was the best team effort of the season
And it was done without
Williams
McGovern
Martin
Setterfield

If we win the flag I’ll be the first to say I was wrong on many points
Not all of them mind you

But it’s that sort of season
It’s so open

FMD. Peel me off the floor. :yikes:

Good onya keogh. :clap:
Really glad you enjoyed the 4 quarter effort and win against the No.2 team. :gift:

Hey if we win the Flag without Williams, McGovern, Martin and Setterfield, I will say you were right....but wrong about the most elusive HB in the AFL, Adam Saad.

And, imagine how much salary space we will have following our Flag when thir pay packets are low due to front loaded payments, and when they retire. :wink:

I hear there's still some cap space at the end of the year, for a Trade and/or FA, AND, we are going tot he Draft with our round 1 pick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

Bondi...we all bitch about the umpires (I do it all the time in the moment) and it was not directed at anybody specifically...so firstly, I'll apologise if you took it that way!

By losers mentality, I'm really referring to supporters of teams I grew up watching who were no good...they'd find distractions (like umpiring, injuries, rich clubs buying players, lauding their odd champion like Flower or Barker etc) when Carlton just got on with the job of winning flags

That's what I want right now. I argue with my mates that we can't control it (including injuries) and we move on after we've torn strips off that umpire in the moment

Nah, not taking it personally.

I just wanted to qualify why I choose to bitch, and how its not always a loser's mentality, and I understand why some don't.

We're all in this together.

When we win the flag, none of us will worry whose wrong or right .... including keogh :wink:

We will all get together in Melb for a huge TC party all fitted out with a poster of umpire Naiffan, and a kissing booth with Eleni, and dunny dowl with Ron Evans face in it, and Black n Red dunny paper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

PS. I lose it at the footy BIG TIME with all manner of emotions
I lose it even worse at home...my two sons go and watch the game in their rooms and my wife calls me a lunatic
Once the game is over, I focus on what the players and coaches did poorly or well...i figure they can learn from it but the umps won't go back and fix up the errors they made

I had to apologise to the neighbours if my screaming disturbed them....they say they're use to it, and know the footy is on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:

Nah it's legit:

Quote:
And it was done without
Williams
McGovern
Martin
Setterfield

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the fact he lives in WA the Carlton win against Freo would be an uplifting factor.

For the rest of us its been a great year to be a Bagger!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:

This!! Flower them all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

10 Sam Walsh (CARL)
5 Zac Fisher (CARL)
4 Tom De Koning (CARL)
4 Sam Docherty (CARL)
3 George Hewett (CARL)
2 Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
2 Adam Saad (CARL)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Geez Longmuir wasn't happy with his team at all

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next