Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhino27 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
This might be a bit of a test of JW's maturity. I mean I would not want him to make the call himself to play tmrw night if he isn't 100% right. If he is 99.9% right and plays and does the shoulder again then it is on him. There are 7 games to go after this game, then potentially finals. Then there is 2023. He needs to make sure he is not going to re-injure himself. Needs to make sure he sees the long game.

I remember a game in the 90s. Peter Dean was interviewed pre match as he was out injured. He said it they ultimately left it up to him as to whether or play or not. He said he wanted to play but felt that if he injured himself again in the first 5 min he would've let the team down so elected be extra cautious.
Weiters is a very mature and level headed young man. If it is left up to him, I'm certain he too will make the right the decision by thinking of the team first. If he says he is right to go I trust him. If he isn't, I'm sure he'll say he needs another week.

Yes I hope he makes the right call and I do think he probably will.

It's just that it's a fairly unique set of circumstances.
We have been shit for so long.
Finally we look like maybe being a good side.
Finals are a big chance.
The faithful are starting to get on board which fuels momentum ands excitement.
But the race for the 8 is so tight.
Just adds pressure on him to play.

But you are right.
Since the day he arrived he has presented like a future PM so he ought to make the right call.

And the other thing is, it is one thing for the medicos to say "you're OK to play" but ultimately they aren't the ones inside Jacob's body. Only he knows how his body feels.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

killpies wrote:
If Weiters plays I would still put Young on King. King's reach seems to trouble Weiters on occasions and Young has an extra 5cm or so and his spoiling has been top notch in the last few weeks.

I agree. I think.

King has troubled JW at times.

I mean if it comes in easy nobody can stop him his reach and jump is so good.
Young is taller than JW so might be a worthy call.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

killpies wrote:
If Weiters plays I would still put Young on King. King's reach seems to trouble Weiters on occasions and Young has an extra 5cm or so and his spoiling has been top notch in the last few weeks.

Weiters let king get off the leash 3 times in the first last time Weiters played him in H&A, then he tightened up and went body on body to stop King having a free run and jump at the ball.

Weiters had his measure.

I don't think anyone can stop King marking if he gets a free run to jump at the ball...just too tall. Similar problem backmen have with Harry

Having said that I trust Young.

Also, I trust Newman to take a bogger body too. He's a strong boy and knows how to take space, block and body opponents moreso this year than he did in his past.

I wasn't a fan of Newman before this season, but this year he's barley put a foot wrong. Fitter? Stronger? Smarter? Leader!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think this game is all about Carlton.

It is about how mature we are now. The players.

Reality is we win this game we go equal top of the ladder on Pts, even for a day or two it still matters.

That fact won't be lost on some if not all the players.

At some stage an emerging team - if that is what we are - have to learn to cope with expectation.

Are we there yet?
Maybe.
Maybe not.

The team also have to learn to deal with being the hunted which is what tmrw night will be and chances are St K come out firing.

Are we a genuinely good team yet?
Can we withstand St Kilda's likely ferocious attack at the footy and the man?
Can we be UP and not drop our guard because we have our mind on other things and gotten ahead of ourselves?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We have struggled to take that next step all year.

Ladder positions by round...

R1 5
R2 6
R3 3
R4 7
R5 6
R6 7
R7 6
R8 4
R9 4
R10 3
R11 5
R12 7
R13 4
R14 5
R15 5

We haven't been outside the 8 all year but equally haven't cracked the top 2 all year and have averaged around 5th.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:

R1 5
R2 6
R3 3
R4 7
R5 6
R6 7
R7 6
R8 4
R9 4
R10 3
R11 5
R12 7
R13 4
R14 5
R15 5

We haven't been outside the 8 all year but equally haven't cracked the top 2 all year and have averaged around 5th.

From where we have come from there isn't a supporter that would have said no to this at the start of the season - we've already taken the next step.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:49 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluebo baggers wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

R1 5
R2 6
R3 3
R4 7
R5 6
R6 7
R7 6
R8 4
R9 4
R10 3
R11 5
R12 7
R13 4
R14 5
R15 5

From where we have come from there isn't a supporter that would have said no to this at the start of the season - we've already taken the next step.

Yes of course

But what I mean is we haven't really cracked that top echelon yet this year despite teasing

Mind you % plays a part

Interestingly I think the last time we were any good in 2011 under Ratten we were ultimately the 5th best side that year ladder wise so we are there again, next step is to go higher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
This might be a bit of a test of JW's maturity. I mean I would not want him to make the call himself to play tmrw night if he isn't 100% right. If he is 99.9% right and plays and does the shoulder again then it is on him. There are 7 games to go after this game, then potentially finals. Then there is 2023. He needs to make sure he is not going to re-injure himself. Needs to make sure he sees the long game.

I agree. We have 7 home and away games and then 3 finals to play. We should have the Aints covered without Weiters.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

killpies wrote:

100% agree. Weiters seems to struggle sometimes against the tall rangy athletic types ie the King twins and Larkey. King doesn’t have the size or strength to worry Young in the body on body contests, and Young has the extra height and reach to get a fist in when King gets to the ball at its highest point. He is really the perfect matchup for Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I just told my daughter if we win we go equal top so I've done it now put the mozzer on we will lose sorry everyone blame me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I agree. We have 7 home and away games and then 3 finals to play. We should have the Aints covered without Weiters.
Go Blues!

We actually have 8 Games To Go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Noonamah Blue wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Go Blues!

We actually have 8 Games To Go.

MATHS !!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:

R1 5
R2 6
R3 3
R4 7
R5 6
R6 7
R7 6
R8 4
R9 4
R10 3

R11 5
R12 7
R13 4
R14 5
R15 5

Freo is warming our spot in the 4.
We are targeting Cats spot at 2.
I will be happy with 2, 3 or 4 because they will all be played at the G.

Have to beat the Aints. Have to.

Expecting Cerra and Stocker to come in for Boyd (inj) and Honey...maybe Motlop.

Honey as the sub.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
bluebo baggers wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

R1 5
R2 6
R3 3
R4 7
R5 6
R6 7
R7 6
R8 4
R9 4
R10 3

R11 5
R12 7
R13 4
R14 5
R15 5

Yes of course

But what I mean is we haven't really cracked that top echelon yet this year despite teasing

Mind you % plays a part

Interestingly I think the last time we were any good in 2011 under Ratten we were ultimately the 5th best side that year ladder wise so we are there again, next step is to go higher

Percentage played a part in 4 games, and we were in the top 4 for 5...so 9 rounds we were in the Top 4 conversation on points/games won.

8 winnable rounds to go and with 20 point wins that will give us another 15% .... its a slow but steady walk to greatness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cerra to replace Boyd
Newnes will play in defence. Cerra on a wing
Weitering wanting to play

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm tripping out

If we beat the Aints and we are 11 wins with WCE, GWS and Adelaide to play I'm going off.

Sinclair for the Saints annoys me. He's had a good year, is in the AA discussion when saad has been sensational and no accolades or appreciation in the Effendruggy infested media, so I'd like someone to keep him quiet.

Saad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sinclair.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Cerra to replace Boyd
Newnes will play in defence. Cerra on a wing
Weitering wanting to play

WOW.

..that makes sense FB ... it works

Coach said its up to Weiters

PS I'm loving Cottrell on a wing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
GA sold out

GA available.
No seats left.
Going to be a huge crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:25 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
So Voss has said it's up to JW whether he plays

Find it hard to believe Jacob will say "nah"

In: Weitering, Cerra
Out: Boyd, Motlop

Do we have matchups for all of JW, LY, BK & LP ??
Leaves three runners in Salad, Doc and Newman.
I guess a wing or two can push back.

I would class Kemp and Plowman as “runners”.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If Weitering plays as suspected, then he would take Kemps spot.

In that case I would expect Kemp to be named as sub incase a tall gets injured during the game.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next