Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:35 am 
Robert Walls

Blues21 wrote:
It's downhill fro. Here. No chance next week. Saint's will make it 3 losses in a row.

Did I miss a loss or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:01 am 
Bruce Doull

sammywaslow wrote:
and in a blink of an eye the game was almost out of reach.

You got that right

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:19 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BlueJean wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
but honestly, we are a 9 and 4.

lets think about that for a moment .... coming from what we are used too ...

a silvangi snap against the pies, a rubbish goal review against the tigers ... we are so close ... so close, consider our injuries its even more impressive.

No no no no no.
No what ifs in football.
The score is the score.
We lost.
Smashed at clearances.

100%

Some of our supporters will use any excuse.

I thought by and large we busted a gut in the end, just lacked some polish and smarts to pull off the upset.

Let’s think big picture.

A win next week which I’m confident about and we have banked 10 wins!

Yes we are on the right path but we lost sadly and the score is the score doesn't matter what coulda shoulda been

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 am 
Harry Vallence

First time this year I have walked away disappointed. We were outworked early and played dumb football. I also rarley comment on umpiring but it was poor.

Positive is we fought back and had a crack. We are still a work in progress and missing some key players. Pittonet helps our clearance work and Weitering holds our defence together.

I liked Boyd's game. He's a keeper and I thought Durdin did well in first game

Important we bounce back next week

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:28 am 
Geoff Southby

Our midfield was smashed at the clearences
Hewitt was due for a bad one clearence wise
Had a shocker Cripps not much better in that area either
Walsh not effective in that area either
Kennedy was ok
Prestia was enormous
Voss had nobody else to turn to or trust to deliver in the middle

I think it would of been worth chucking Owies or Durdin in there
Why not Martin
Well he has been tried there and isn’t hard enough
We need other blokes to go into the stoppage scenario as our regulars can’t play well every week
We have too much reliance on McKay and Curnow to kick us a score
Our small forwards don’t impose themselves enough
Durdin
Owies
Martin
Need to do more
I thought our defense was terrific last night
Saad has been terrific but as I have said before he relies too much on his left side
It cost us a goal late
I feel we are not quite good enough although you never know
This season is so open
Interesting last 10 weeks ahead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CFC8795 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Has LOB ever broken/shrugged off a tackle in his life?

I suppose someone has to be the least physical player in the comp.

Remind me why he is on the TC Banner again.

We don't even sponsor him anymore.

Admin are no good lay abouts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 am 
Robert Walls

MPH78 wrote:
Pleased Voss called out the midfield multiple times in his presser. Lopsided I50 count and their hardness in and around the contest compared to us.

You simply won’t win AFL games conceding 70 plus I50s.

There's some truth in that but we have now been beaten in the clearances twice
Have opp clubs worked out our plays or positioning or whatever?
Maybe the coaches need to tweak things as well???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:06 am 
Robert Walls

Sidefx wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
jim wrote:
Just watched that score review again. Those fingers were seriously wobbling before the ball got to his hand. Jason Dunstall thought it was a ridiculous overturn.

Fair chance it cost us the game. How much do those idiots get paid in the Arc again

ARC seems to be using webcams. it’s a joke. should be using 100 fps cameras, the place is lit up like a tv studio and yet the video quality is VHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've worked it out.
It looked liked Broad was shaking his hand, maybe that's the go.
All our defenders should shake their hands when trying to spoil shots on goal.

Said exactly the same to my mates...wriggle your fingers and protest in unison immediately...it gives the impression that it was an instinctive reaction

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
MPH78 wrote:
Pleased Voss called out the midfield multiple times in his presser. Lopsided I50 count and their hardness in and around the contest compared to us.

You simply won’t win AFL games conceding 70 plus I50s.

There's some truth in that but we have now been beaten in the clearances twice
Have opp clubs worked out our plays or positioning or whatever?
Maybe the coaches need to tweak things as well???

Hit outs to advantage also a factor in this. Pitto was number 1 in the comp in that area before he got hurt.
TDK seemed to get his hand on the footy a fair bit last night and tap it straight down the throat of a Richmond player pretty much every single time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 am 
Bob Chitty

I didn’t have high hopes going in given the state of both teams injury lists, our last 40 mins vs Essendon* and the wet conditions which Richmond play well in. The first 45 minutes was pretty disappointing but from there on we were fairly good. A case of too little, too late.

Pros:
- Defence held up incredibly well given 76 inside 50s conceded.
- Saad and Doc continued on their strong form.
- Boyd is really starting to look like he might be a player. Hard at it and nice skills.
- Despite the poor start, we put ourselves in a position to pinch it late which shows some good resolve.
- Harry’s 4th quarter. Was absolutely everywhere and could have kicked 5 in the quarter.

Cons:
- Beat up around the midfield and the ball for most of the game. 76 inside 50s to 51 is a very poor reflection on the midfield. We won’t win many more games if that differential continues week to week.
- Our centre bounce clearance work has been bad for 3 weeks now. We are near on unstoppable when our midfield get on top at centre clearances. We saw that for 10-15 mins in the 4th quarter. It’s been a big part of our method to get to 9 early wins. Richmond belted us in there. Even Essendon* got us there last week. Need to rectify this ASAP.
- Small forwards offered next to nothing - Owies, Martin and Durdin.
- Charlie comprehensively beaten but he’ll bounce back.
- Looks like we may have copped another 2 injuries. We’re certainly at the tipping point and have been for a while. Would be nice to get some luck on the injury front.
- Umpiring was really average. Embarrassingly bad really.
- Was at the game so couldn’t see it properly but sounds like we were a bit unlucky with that overturned goal that, when combined with Richmond kicking another one straight away, completely halted our momentum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Six goal head start.
Missing 3-4 of our most structurally important players.
Didn't play to the conditions for the first half of the match.
Missed 4-5 absolutely piss easy shots on goal.
Lost by 15.

Never happy with a loss, but it could have been much, much worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:21 am 
Rod Ashman

Disappointed. Can't believe how our midfield is getting beaten up around the ball at the moment. Maybe they need a bit of old fashioned :fight: at training.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mark down Friday 26th August in your calendar

6th V 7th Elimination final

Carlton V Richmond

Revenge day

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:00 am 
Bruce Doull

carntheblues wrote:
Disappointed. Can't believe how our midfield is getting beaten up around the ball at the moment. Maybe they need a bit of old fashioned :fight: at training.

Yet all the commentators could do was crap on about how clearance work is Carlton's "bread and butter". It's as though they've taken no notice of our last handful of games where we've been soundly beaten in that area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 am 
Bob Chitty

ive actually come around abit this morning ...

we had two - 12 point turn arounds.

O Brien had the opportunity to score, we missed, they went down to kick a goal with 8 secs left (2nd quarter)
Newnes goal, terrible decision, they went down to a kick a goal straight away (4th quarter)

yes its an if, but considering our first 45 mins of the game, its remarkable that we even got ourselves in a position to win the game ... those two results go our way, we win ... fair dinkum, we have improved so much ... so much.

the club gets a whack for the first 45 mins, but outside of that, considering our outs, was a great effort.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
So proud of the boys.

We was robbed and we fought so hard against the tide of injustice.

Not being biased I had to explain the ' rub of the green' to visitors today to give that umpiring performance a semblance of definition. Prix

Thank you Jason Dunstall who could see the injustice of it all as his sycophant co hosts went along with the assault.

Get stuffed to anyone who blames the loss on anything but the umpiring. That obvious. I feel raped by the AFL. Ups had an agenda from the outset.

I would not want to be in the Saints' shoes next round.

Sorry bondi...you are a very reasonable and fair poster but that comment is something I will disagree very strongly with
I agree we missed out on a few 50/50 decisions, including the goal review...but the coaches must take the blame for not telling them to get it I30 any way they can and the have the smalls surround the ground ball area...Richmond's natural gameplan is territory/chaos...its wet weather football in wet or dry weather...we played right into their hands
Did you notice we played well whenever the conditions dried?

I'm trying to keep my posts shorter, :lol: and focussed on the one of the major discussion points that stood out for Carlton and Richmond fans: the umpiring.
The umpiring was a disgrace, right from the get go. Just from the top of my head:

Saad's eye gouge, and no free...umpire right there...goal to them.
Newnes sliding into ball punches it away, then Balta doesn't slow down and crashes into Newnes and paid a free for tripping...goal to them
Fisher's legs very obviously taken out ...no free ...had open players ahead.
Newne's disallowed goal, baseless: see Dunstall, Voss, anyone who watched the video evidence...robbed Goal

I wasnt expecting us to win against the tied, but thought our boys might find something, and after a 6 goal head start, we did show something.

Your reference to the other discussion points has merit too.

Find me one person who thinks the umpires didn't favour Richmond on the night. I've spoken with half a dozen Tiges supporters today, and I know they agree. Add that to our injuries, the wet conditions, the clearances, the inside 50's, the small forwards ... I can see how we could have pinched that game IF not for the umpires...like last week with Walsh's dismissed head high hit in front of goals.

Two games we could have PINCHED, and two games umpire decisions made a difference to the outcome.
That's footy when Naiffen is umpiring, and add his mate No. 23.

I hate cheats.

Its a good sign, and I welcome every week's challenge, injuries or not. We are a really good team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am 
Bruce Doull

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
So proud of the boys.

We was robbed and we fought so hard against the tide of injustice.

Not being biased I had to explain the ' rub of the green' to visitors today to give that umpiring performance a semblance of definition. Prix

Thank you Jason Dunstall who could see the injustice of it all as his sycophant co hosts went along with the assault.

Get stuffed to anyone who blames the loss on anything but the umpiring. That obvious. I feel raped by the AFL. Ups had an agenda from the outset.

I would not want to be in the Saints' shoes next round.

Sorry bondi...you are a very reasonable and fair poster but that comment is something I will disagree very strongly with
I agree we missed out on a few 50/50 decisions, including the goal review...but the coaches must take the blame for not telling them to get it I30 any way they can and the have the smalls surround the ground ball area...Richmond's natural gameplan is territory/chaos...its wet weather football in wet or dry weather...we played right into their hands
Did you notice we played well whenever the conditions dried?

Subtle sponsor plug, nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Tigers were too good….smashed us at the stoppage…..cant win when you have +20 less I50’s…..lets learn from it rather than believe the umpires were an issue

There's a lot to learn, and we will adjust just as we have over the course of the year.
No doubt the addition of layers to our game have taken away from other strengths and we will find a balance.

With 11 minutes to go, Newnes kicks a goal to bring us within 3 points of them, with all the momentum ..... the umpires were an issue, and you can ignore that if you want to be all PC, and the fact the game is done and dusted. I know the other issues, and acknowledge them: I choose to acknowledge all issues.

The conclusion I come to is we are a damn good team that never says die, and if we make Finals (and we should), we will take the learnings from the season and maybe do a Hawthorn circa 2008.

I look forward to playing the Tigers again this year .... preferably in dry conditions... coz we are better than them!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bender wrote:
keogh wrote:
We are better than last year
Obviously
Not far off it
Our bottom 4 or 5 players are pretty ordinary
But with some decent recruiting and/or kids developing like Carroll we can challenge in 2023
Not this year

It’s such an even comp
Luck injuries form play a huge part
When n we have had chances to smash teams we haven’t
Probably will cost us
% as I have said is massively important
More than ever

holy crap Keogh!!!!! that post is positive!!!!!! r u ok? :lol:

Yep, the old keogh is back.
Talking facts is appreciated.
Leaving the past in the past is admirable.

I know the names keogh has his eyes set on, and agree Martin is keeping the seat warm for Honey, despite his god given talent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
I look forward to playing the Tigers again this year .... preferably in dry conditions... coz we are better than them!!

Would love nothing more for Carlton to knock them out of the finals with Doc in possession on the final siren.
He could then stroll over and hand Bolton the ball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next