Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:22 am 
Ken Hunter

+1

Game day thoughts?

I had this down as a game we'd drop, not so sure now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:33 am 
Wayne Johnston

When you have a side that’s 9-3 you don’t go making changes for the sake of making changes because obviously the team on the park has largely being doing the job asked of them. You don’t panic after one bad game, you stick with system and players that are working.

Some people have forgotten (or never knew) what it’s like to be a successful team and what the phrase “deserves selection because he’s smashing the door down in the reserves” really means.

Neither Setterfield nor Dow have been “smashing the door down”, they’ve been playing ok, but playing ok doesn’t guarantee a promotion in a successful club ( or guarantee a promotion at Carlton anymore), you either need to “smash the door down” or wait for you chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:33 am 
Bruce Doull

I’m confident Miss….

we’re still a good team…our best this year is
better than the Tiges…!

THREE VOTES……………………………PEE………CRIPPS…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:38 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

missnaut wrote:
+1

Game day thoughts?

I had this down as a game we'd drop, not so sure now.

My thoughts are we are a massive chance. Can't get smashed in the middle like we did last week as Riewoldt/Lynch combo are a different beast to Wright and whoever else they* had.
Win the centre clearances and I'll back Charlie and Harry with support from JSOS and the smalls to kick us a winning score.
Get destroyed out of the middle and it'll be a tough night.
Crippa's 150th, has been down on his output in recent weeks, but fully expect him to explode. Walsh, Kennedy and Hewett are all guns too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Unreal ... P. Dow ... pack your bags. Selectors have failed this boy.
I think we badly needed Dow this week as a replacement for Cerra. Our midfield struggled against Essendon**** ... it has not been strengthened for this match.

The question now is what can we get for him?

I don’t see it that way. I see an unchanged side apart from injury. Cottrell did really well replacing Cerra so deserved to stay. Dow is first emergency and probably sub. Fair enough for a winning side

We were thrashed at the centre bounce last week by ESSESNDON ... lol. Cerra left a gaping hole and Cottrell did not fill it. What have the selectors done to help that situation? :hitcomputer: :banghead: :donk:

TDK/SOS 23 hit outs vs Philips/Draper 43 hit outs.

Cottrell wasn't in any centre square bounces or midfield around the stoppages.

Cerra left a gaping hole and it was filled by Walsh. Cripps Hewett Walsh Kennedy led the midfield group. Fisher went in there too.

I don't think Cerra missing was the reason we lost the clearances...and its questionable that Dow would be the panacea imo.

Some were happy with Dow's 6 kicks and 15 handballs vs Pies, but I saw flaws in his game, because I was looking for improvement from him at AFL level.

Dow is contracted for 2023. He has time. For now, we have to go with whatever the MC and Voss decide: they have their reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 am 
Rod Ashman

BigBlueWave wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
I think we badly needed Dow this week as a replacement for Cerra. Our midfield struggled against Essendon**** ... it has not been strengthened for this match.

I don’t see it that way. I see an unchanged side apart from injury. Cottrell did really well replacing Cerra so deserved to stay. Dow is first emergency and probably sub. Fair enough for a winning side

We were thrashed at the centre bounce last week by ESSESNDON ... lol. Cerra left a gaping hole and Cottrell did not fill it. What have the selectors done to help that situation? :hitcomputer: :banghead: :donk:

Moved Walsh into the centre bounce! Good enough?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
I think we badly needed Dow this week as a replacement for Cerra. Our midfield struggled against Essendon***** ... it has not been strengthened for this match.

TDK/SOS 23 hit outs vs Philips/Draper 43 hit outs.

Cottrell wasn't in any centre square bounces or midfield around the stoppages.

Cerra left a gaping hole and it was filled by Walsh. Cripps Hewett Walsh Kennedy led the midfield group. Fisher went in there too.

I don't think Cerra missing was the reason we lost the clearances...and its questionable that Dow would be the panacea imo.

Some were happy with Dow's 6 kicks and 15 handballs vs Pies, but I saw flaws in his game, because I was looking for improvement from him at AFL level.

Dow is contracted for 2023. He has time. For now, we have to go with whatever the MC and Voss decide: they have their reasons.

I agree BB. I don't get the Dow should be in versus Cottrell sentiment. Voss has always said like for like and Dow is not a winger, by a long shot. Ever since Pittonet went down with injury our centre square clearance numbers haven't been as good. But even with that against Essendon* we still won the total clearances which means we dominated around the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 am 
Ken Hunter

I actually think we sacrificed our centre game last week to focus on other areas, knowing that if we were struggling we could just switch back to focusing on winning centre clearances.
We were only playing Essendon*.

Last edited by missnaut on Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:10 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Tonight is simple, if the following have at least decent games we win

Cottrell
Newnes
Martin
Durdin x 2
LOB
Boyd

If they go missing we have no hope.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
When you have a side that’s 9-3 you don’t go making changes for the sake of making changes because obviously the team on the park has largely being doing the job asked of them. You don’t panic after one bad game, you stick with system and players that are working.

Some people have forgotten (or never knew) what it’s like to be a successful team and what the phrase “deserves selection because he’s smashing the door down in the reserves” really means.

Neither Setterfield nor Dow have been “smashing the door down”, they’ve been playing ok, but playing ok doesn’t guarantee a promotion in a successful club ( or guarantee a promotion at Carlton anymore), you either need to “smash the door down” or wait for you chance.

I just watched the 2nd half of the Effendopes* game, and despite a 0-0 last quarter I thought our players looked really connected, despite some lairising, and they learned to shut down the game...perhaps another layer. Effendopes* had more shots at goal in the last, but nothing threatening such was the pressure applied but our players.

We can win this tonight.

Glad Soldo was dropped for TDK's sake. I know they get Lambert in for him, who is their barometer, but right from the get go and throughout the match its Nankervis vs TDK show with support from SOS and Balta??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Likely to be a greasy night.

Need our smalls to really be on.

I like us tonight. Got a good feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:26 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:

Cottrell
Newnes
Martin
Durdin x 2
LOB
Boyd

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

You make an interesting point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluehammer wrote:
Likely to be a greasy night.

Need our smalls to really be on.

I like us tonight. Got a good feeling.

Souva for dinner is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I am banking on the belief that our players have reached a point in their development where they don't get up for lesser opponents (see last week) so hopefully we bring our best effort tonight. See the Syd game which I think was the last real big challenge and we brought our A Game (albeit we also brought our second half D Game).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:28 am 
Geoff Southby

As far as selection goes for tonight I think the move made is the most obvious.
You need to reward wins as much, if not more than performances in the two's.

With Walsh in the centre and Cottrell on the wing I only have a couple of concerns;
1. We may lack that inside tagging grunt that Cerra gives us and the pressure and tackles he provides.
Walsh can do it but is better used on the outside, Kennedy will need to step it up in this area.
2. While Cottrell has gotten a lot better, he doesn't have the skills that Walsh added coming off the HF line onto the wing.

Like others have said, Dow has some really great attributes and his tackling and inside work would make him a great like for like replacement.
However, IMO his defensive running and work is well below what is needed in our midfield.
I'd love for him to come in and make his mark but he needs to work on his deficiencies also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:39 am 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:

Cottrell
Newnes
Martin
Durdin x 2
LOB
Boyd

It's these players that can really make us better. We know what Walsh, Cripps, Hewett etc will provide. If a couple of these have a really good game we will be hard to beat

I like that for the first time in a long while players like Dow, Setterfield, Hayes, Philp have to earn a game through consistent good form. Makes us better

Will be even better when Weitering, Pittonet, McGovern, Marchbank, Cuningham, Cerra, Williams are all fit. Nothing like competition for spots to make a side better

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:43 am 
Rod Ashman

A few observations/thoughts:
1) We seem disarmingly aligned on TC about this match. Which makes me worry. :razz:
2) When coaches say, "I wish we had two Dustin Martins out there", I would frankly have preferred two Crippas or two Walshes but I guess we'll have to suffice with two Durdins!
3) Warnings are for black outs tonight around 8pm and 9pm... brings back a few memories from when the lights went out at Waverley (I think) and the fire for Carl v Richmond on a Friday night many years ago!
4) Richmond have a very even team. Our bottom 6 need to lift towards the mean.
5) In Round 1, the scoreboard damage was done by our smalls. Harry & Charlie didn't do much. Will be interesting to see how tonight unfolds. Could be the same again if they cover our talls but find themselves a tad too tall in defence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BigBlueWave wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Gaping hole? Cerra averages 2 centre clearances per game this year.
His role is to add class and quality ball use around the stoppages And you think Dow can fill that role? :lol:
Let's not lump all midfielders into one basket. Cripps, Kennedy, Hewitt, Cerra, Fisher, Walsh, they all perform different roles in the structure and they're not easily interchangeable with each other.

Sam Walsh is primarily playing half forward and he's averaging 9 more disposals, twice as many marks more contested possessions, 8 more uncontested possessions, more score involvements and an almost identical disposal efficiency per game as Cerra.
So yeah, I think he's exactly the right replacement for Cerra.

So your comments about the selectors failing players etc are laughable. These are the same selectors who currently have us 9-3 with a heap of injuries.
FWIW, I think the role Walsh has been playing will be slightly redundant tonight. We'd be foolish to run a spare around the stoppages and leave Vlaustin or Grimes as a loose down back. That is Richmonds game. Win the turnover in the back half and transition the ball to scores.
I'd much rather we make their defenders accountable and if they zone off to Harry or Charlie, hit up any spare forward at any opportunity.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:47 am 
Serge Silvagni

If we can get up tonight, it would be our best win in a long time. A HUGE scalp. Our intensity from the outside needs to be first rate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:48 am 
John James

DesEnglish wrote:
Whoever is the more defensively minded of Setterfield or Hayes needs to play. Our wings are going to need to help out big time.

Setterfield’s height could give him an advantage too (although I can’t remember what he’s like overhead)

setters isn’t bad overhead though he’s no paddy crips. for mine he’s better on transition and kicking to the forwards inside 50 than he is in deep defence but i’ve seen him link up with the back 7 in handball chains to work it out. he’s a good tackler and often has a good tackle count, also gets caught with it sometimes or throws it on the boot and opponent marks outside their F50. i guess even Doc does that sometimes, it happens when under pressure and looking to relieve the pressure.

he certainly has the tank to run both ways. played 2nd BOG last week in VFL. prefer him inside than on the wing to be honest, but those spots are taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next