Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:50 am 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Durdin in which is great for him. Young will take Lynch and Durdin probably Jack or resting ruck.

I think Setterfield will replace Cerra. Played inside mid more on weekend which I reckon is his role and was very good. Dow & Hayes other possibles.

When can we have some luck with injuries??

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1149461/afl-team-news-durdin-debut-locked-in

Good luck to Durdin in his debut for the Bluebaggers.

I have yet to watch the whole CFL game, but if Setterfield played inside mid for 34 disposals, I would have him ahead of Dow with his 25.

From what I have seen of the last VFL game, Dow was same same, not really taking on the game nor the opponent, drawing them in, taking the tackle, freeing hands and passing to team mate in better position. A few possessions to no mans land....its still a disposal, but wouldn't cut it in AFL.

TBH, I find Dow and setterfield to be lazy AFL footballers, but they are ours and look to be improving. Good luck to whoever takes a spot in the ones. Maybe Cottrell is the one who replaces Cerra.

where are the links to all the carlton VFL games? i see links to the livestreams on the AFL app but then can’t find them a few days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Vallence

I have confidence that Cripps Kennedy Hewett Walsh will do the job tonight. Our pressure from them and our smalls needs to be first class

Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
As far as selection goes for tonight I think the move made is the most obvious.
You need to reward wins as much, if not more than performances in the two's.

With Walsh in the centre and Cottrell on the wing I only have a couple of concerns;
1. We may lack that inside tagging grunt that Cerra gives us and the pressure and tackles he provides.
Walsh can do it but is better used on the outside, Kennedy will need to step it up in this area.
2. While Cottrell has gotten a lot better, he doesn't have the skills that Walsh added coming off the HF line onto the wing.

Like others have said, Dow has some really great attributes and his tackling and inside work would make him a great like for like replacement.
However, IMO his defensive running and work is well below what is needed in our midfield.
I'd love for him to come in and make his mark but he needs to work on his deficiencies also.

Agree with all of that… and a little bit concerned about Kennedy’s managed game time becoming a hindrance without the two-way balance that Cerra brings to the on ball unit. Worpa is a great trump card to play, but it leaves us exposed on the outside when a hurried dump out is the best clearance that can be mustered.

Newnes can hold his own, but O’Brien, Cottrell, Fisher, Boyd are no enforcers. Nor are they especially quick at getting ball to boot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:57 am 
John James

BigBlueWave wrote:
Unreal ... P. Dow ... pack your bags. Selectors have failed this boy.
I think we badly needed Dow this week as a replacement for Cerra. Our midfield struggled against Essendon** ... it has not been strengthened for this match.

The question now is what can we get for him?

they had a dirty one. you don’t need to strengthen Crips, Hewitt, Kennedy, Walsh (off the F50 arc) and Fisher, Martin running through to help out. they just need to get back to the system that has worked. clearly a lot hinges on TDK at bounces but we’ve won clearances against good teams without Pitto. TDK just needs to break even and our mods need to be on for Crippa’s 150th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
As far as selection goes for tonight I think the move made is the most obvious.
You need to reward wins as much, if not more than performances in the two's.

With Walsh in the centre and Cottrell on the wing I only have a couple of concerns;
1. We may lack that inside tagging grunt that Cerra gives us and the pressure and tackles he provides.
Walsh can do it but is better used on the outside, Kennedy will need to step it up in this area.
2. While Cottrell has gotten a lot better, he doesn't have the skills that Walsh added coming off the HF line onto the wing.

Like others have said, Dow has some really great attributes and his tackling and inside work would make him a great like for like replacement.
However, IMO his defensive running and work is well below what is needed in our midfield.
I'd love for him to come in and make his mark but he needs to work on his deficiencies also.

Agree with all of that… and a little bit concerned about Kennedy’s managed game time becoming a hindrance without the two-way balance that Cerra brings to the on ball unit. Worpa is a great trump card to play, but it leaves us exposed on the outside when a hurried dump out is the best clearance that can be mustered.

Newnes can hold his own, but O’Brien, Cottrell, Fisher, Boyd are no enforcers. Nor are they especially quick at getting ball to boot.

Hopefully Kennedy is just getting over some niggles, we will need him at his Rd 1 best tonight.
I reckon Fish, Durdin and Owies will be used down the ground a little more tonight to fill in the role Walsh was playing.
Our defenders will need all the help they can get and at least Cottrell and O'Brien have the run to move back in D50 all day.
Our transition from D50 to F50 was excellent last week and could well be the decider if our clearance wins are down again.
A near full strength Richmond trying to make finals won't be caught off guard again this time around, a 4 quarter game is essential.
Go the Blues!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Imagine if we get a solid win tonight against a near-full strength Richmond with our team currently held together with sticky tape!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If it keeps raining like this then getting centre clearances is going to be incredibly important as the game will be a game of territory. That could play into our hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
Imagine if we get a solid win tonight against a near-full strength Richmond with our team currently held together with sticky tape!

It would be exceptional.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think the full strength thing is a tad overrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:38 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Blue Vain wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Unreal ... P. Dow ... pack your bags. Selectors have failed this boy.
I think we badly needed Dow this week as a replacement for Cerra. Our midfield struggled against Essendon***** ... it has not been strengthened for this match.

The question now is what can we get for him?

I don’t see it that way. I see an unchanged side apart from injury. Cottrell did really well replacing Cerra so deserved to stay. Dow is first emergency and probably sub. Fair enough for a winning side

We were thrashed at the centre bounce last week by ESSESNDON ... lol. Cerra left a gaping hole and Cottrell did not fill it. What have the selectors done to help that situation? :hitcomputer: :banghead: :donk:

Gaping hole? Cerra averages 2 centre clearances per game this year.
His role is to add class and quality ball use around the stoppages And you think Dow can fill that role? :lol:
Let's not lump all midfielders into one basket. Cripps, Kennedy, Hewitt, Cerra, Fisher, Walsh, they all perform different roles in the structure and they're not easily interchangeable with each other.

Sam Walsh is primarily playing half forward and he's averaging 9 more disposals, twice as many marks more contested possessions, 8 more uncontested possessions, more score involvements and an almost identical disposal efficiency per game as Cerra.
So yeah, I think he's exactly the right replacement for Cerra.

So your comments about the selectors failing players etc are laughable. These are the same selectors who currently have us 9-3 with a heap of injuries.
FWIW, I think the role Walsh has been playing will be slightly redundant tonight. We'd be foolish to run a spare around the stoppages and leave Vlaustin or Grimes as a loose down back. That is Richmonds game. Win the turnover in the back half and transition the ball to scores.
I'd much rather we make their defenders accountable and if they zone off to Harry or Charlie, hit up any spare forward at any opportunity.

Cottrell did not fill the role of Cerra ... that is the material point. A perfect opportunity has come up to reward a player who has sucked it up and played well in the reserves all season. A player who would be playing in a position that he has trained for (as has been the stressed by Voss all year). The Cottrell inclusion on the other hand is contrary to this. You just can't keep ignoring form and I do believe selectors have shown double standards this year. Anyway ... I hope we have a great night and our midfield turns it on. I hope Cottrell has a good night. Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:thumbsup:

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1149 ... 5280081001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Walsh replaces Cerra and Cotters gets his due reward.
Very happy with this given the circumstances.

Voss' response to the journo asking his thoughts on Dow's game 2 weeks back said it all. It was hardly an endorsement.
Clearly the coaches see some holes in Dow's game. I assume it is the defensive side mainly.

So I think all that is fine.

The issue will be winning it from the centre to get territory on a likely wet night.
The modern game is all about territory and that is accentuated ten fold in the wet.

If TDK can step up and we bring our onball game we ought to win the territory battle and that'll take us a long way towards victory.
But if we get beat inside like Ess did to us last week at clearances then our key defenders could get torn a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:

How was that goal against the Crows (I think last year) not goal of the year??
His double high fives are def top 5 in the comp!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:

are you suggesting the Tigers at full strength isn't the be all to end all, and we are likely to win if we win the clearances as we are likely to do .... which I agree with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

are you suggesting the Tigers at full strength isn't the be all to end all, and we are likely to win if we win the clearances as we are likely to do .... which I agree with.

I just think because a team is close to full strength doesn't necessarily mean that team will perform.

Every week we see that the psychological side to the game (that is, whether a teams comes to play or not) is arguably the biggest determinant of success. Obviously teams with poor lists will always struggle (see North). But despite our injuries we are still fielding a very, very good side. We have missed a key midfielder in most games this year and it hasn't had a material impact on the result. And we have our full roster of forwards albeit TDK has to play ruck. It is not like we would field all of Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern and McDonald all in the one team. Riewoldt isn't quite the player he once was, and Lynch let's face it will always kick a few against us. I think from that stand point we have to hope he doesn't kick 6 !! And in any event I expect Young to go to Lynch not Durdin.

As I said earlier, I think centre clearances will be critical given the strength of both side's forwardlines and the likelihood of wet weather meaning it will be hard to move the ball out of defense. We have been the best at this throughout the year, and we didn't do well at it last week so maybe tonight we flick the switch back on and perform strongly in the centre.

They'll kick some goals, but we could very well kick more if we win the ascendancy in the guts. Just got to hope we win the midfield and Lynch doesn't have a night out.

I suspect that is now the game will unfold.

have I convinced you yet?

Now, can we talk more serious business (aka why Tommy has been talking so much sense of late?)

Last edited by Paddycripps on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

I wonder if we can get to quarter time without an injury.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:

You will the one with the injury if you keep talking shit like that :hitcomputer: :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Paddycripps wrote:
kezza wrote:

You will the one with the injury if you keep talking shit like that :hitcomputer: :grin:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I reckon Voss might put the challenge to a few players tonight, namely TDK, Martin, Plowman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

@#$%&!, the sun is out.
@#$%&! off sun.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next