Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd be more concerned about Bolton kicking goals. Riewoldt will always con the umpires into giving him a couple of crap free kicks because he's a slimy shitbag so I'd concede a couple to him off the top.
Their use of Balta will be interesting. I thought they'd put him on Charlie but their backline is very tall if they do. Gibcus, Broad, Grimes and Tarrant are all 192cm+. Grimes will play on a small and zone off but they'll still be very tall if they add Balta to the defence.
Could they move Gibcus forward to stretch us and play a mid size player in the ruck against JSOS?

Hopefully Corey Durdin hits some form tonight because I suspect there will be ground ball opportunities. He missed a couple of easy shots last week and should have walked away with 2 goals.
Owies leads at the ball carrier as well as any of our forwards so I'd like to see his leads honoured tonight to keep them honest. He's also a very underrated kick into the forward 50 as well. He weights the ball beautifully to the other forwards. For someone who couldn't kick for shit when he joined us, he's become a very accomplished finisher.

I'd consider Saad on Bolton and wouldn't be overly surprised to see them spring a late change with Rioli Jnr coming in.
Having Umpire 22 won't help either although I think we've had a good run with the umps this year. Hopefully that continues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

I'd consider Saad on Bolton and wouldn't be overly surprised to see them spring a late change with Rioli Jnr coming in.
Having Umpire 22 won't help either although I think we've had a good run with the umps this year. Hopefully that continues.

I'd go Boyd on Bolton and just lock down and follow him everywhere. Let Docherty & Saad run

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I'd go Boyd on Bolton and just lock down and follow him everywhere. Let Docherty & Saad run

Yep. Bolton is the danger.

He could have walked away with 5 goals last week but didnt have his kicking boot on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Bolton is a very good player, but is unlikely to be the one who kicks 6 and wins them the game.

That said it is a big test for Boyd regardless of who he plays on tonight. I don't believe he truly believes in himself yet at the highest level. I know VFL is obviously very different but Boyd absolutely tears it apart at that level, looks far, far more confident. Dare I say it he hasn't had a break out game yet at senior level. I am not suggesting tonight will be his night but his performance in a depleted backline will be important.

Rain would help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
Rain would help.

Rain would help them. Their game plan is based around long kicks and continual movement.
They just want the ball in space to run onto it and they'll do anything to get it out of contest. knock ons, kick it off the deck, anything.
We handball, mark, handle and dispose of the ball more than any other team. They're ranked in the bottom 6 for both.
We want dry weather IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Rain would help.

Rain would help them. Their game plan is based around long kicks and continual movement.
They just want the ball in space to run onto it and they'll do anything to get it out of contest. knock ons, kick it off the deck, anything.
We handball, mark, handle and dispose of the ball more than any other team. They're ranked in the bottom 6 for both.
We want dry weather IMHO.

Yes it is true they play a 'get it forward no matter game plan', but I am backing we win the clearances and midfield battle so that strength of theirs becomes less on an issue. If we achieve that primary goal and it is wet they will struggle to get it out of our F50 no matter what style of method they adopt.

I think Lynch is still the most likely one to blow the game apart for them and rain would likely make it a bit more difficult for him to dominate in the air notwithstanding he is decent at ground level too.

But hey who knows how it'll pan out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

At the end of the day it is 95% above the shoulders and you'd think we have more to play for so if the lads don't rip in tonight then it'll be their fault really.

We have been below par for 2 games straight now so I hope we turn it on tonight.

7 goals in the first quarter (to us) isn't out of the question.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:58 pm 
Rod McGregor

weather clearing up now in the Melbourne CBD...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

Great article in The Age today about the 1972 Grand Final.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it- ... 5as24.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd be absolutely rapt if we won this. It's a big big ask & if I was tipping I'd be tipping Richmond.

Big night for Sam Surdin...no pressure or anything mate :grin:

Got no issue with Cottrell in the 22. He's had multiple good games in the ones this year & he's earnt it. We're already making forced changes to the squad each week...he stays in for his form & also team stability. He was on for pretty much the whole game last week so this minimises disruption to the team.

Not long to go! I'll be screaming at Tom Lynch from the comfort of my lounge room

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Voss needs to grab Fisher, LOB, and Kennedy that have ridden on Cripps back since being recruited and be really clear that these guys owe him.

It’s you skipper’s 150, stand up for him like he has for you….and beat these flowers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

It'll be interesting to see how Kennedy goes. He had that quad issue then copped a massive hit in the bummers game last week.

He's really important to us, big night for you Matty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
I think the full strength thing is a tad overrated.

Especially when it doesn’t include Dusty… :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37528

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11