Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Do we know yet what Weiters injury is?
Although I think his loss is a huge blow for our season, I don’t think he was the major reason we lost (even though surely he is worth at least another goal and hence the win…).
My point is they ran us off our feet righty across the ground and many of their F50 marks were uncontested in 20m of space. And we just gave them the ball several times when we were shaping for a scoring opportunity.
We have a huge month coming up - we’ll learn a lot about our character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yup Kezz…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:42 pm 
Serge Silvagni

kezza wrote:
Just watched the final 2 minutes.
That was a free to Walsh.

Had he laced out a pass to Motlop who was all on his own 40m out, we may have had the game in the bag the last 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Not devastated. Basically we played shit & nearly won the game of footy, which is a sign of a decent side.

I thought the Pies defence really blanketed us for the most part. Not getting anything out of the smalls reminded me of the Freo game.

Carroll struggled but we've seen he can play & now it's just up to the club to give him support & get him back in form in the 2s. Because that game will hurt.

Dow contributed I guess, but he ain't Matty Kennedy. Really need him back.

Saad fast becoming my favourite player. Dare I say it, his footy instincts are Doull like.

Sat in front of a total Collingwood moron & shifted at 3q time, which I'm glad I did

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Per BV we were way too short in our forward line and l felt their defenders strolled out far too easily.

Kemp and Martin should have played. Despite Weiters early exit we had enough looks to win that one.

Mid season draft is going to be even more interesting

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:

Unfortunately or fortunately, Walsh is not the type to throw his head back like a Papley or Selwood. If he did I am sure the free kick would have been picked up.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue4ever wrote:
kezza wrote:

Unfortunately or fortunately, Walsh is not the type to throw his head back like a Papley or Selwood. If he did I am sure the free kick would have been picked up.
I'm glad he didn't.

There is far too much of that shit in the game and I'm happy with the way Walsh played it. Ump missed it, we didn't deserve the win, so be it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bluehammer wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
kezza wrote:

I'm glad he didn't.

There is far too much of that shit in the game and I'm happy with the way Walsh played it. Ump missed it, we didn't deserve the win, so be it.

I disagree with your comment about “ not deserving to win .” You either win or lose. Full stop. That free kick would have won us the game.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluehammer wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
kezza wrote:

I'm glad he didn't.

Agree, I would have loved to pinch it but overall they had the better of us. I did like the way they pushed right to the end.

Plenty to think about during the bye.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

Very flat, here.

The result, the non-performance of a number, the injury.

Them winning.

Some terrific performances from quite a few can't be denied, but not enough to cover our non-contributors and costly errors.

Must bounce back!

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 pm 
Bruce Comben

Was at the game... legit thought we'd pinched it with that last shot!

It was a messy game all around.

I'm not at all one for blaming the umpires, but, I did feel that had an equally poor day, and that contributed to the team failing to settle.

I'm also not a fan of "they'll learn from that" as a reaction to a loss, but, I do think losing a close one when we've been poor will be a lesson they had to learn.

Just a flat team today, making some simply stupid decisions. Luckily Collingwood were equally flat, and struggled in front of goal.

Nevertheless, some flashes of brilliance here and there, and a few players really put their heart into it.

I'm strangely calm about the loss. But they need to ensure it's a blip along the way, not a season turning point.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:10 pm 
Bob Chitty

Ultimately a disappointing day at the footy. We were outplayed for the majority of the day but still did enough to almost pinch it late. Stings a little bit more given the opponent too of course
The Weitering injury was pretty deflating. Seems like he will miss more than a few weeks but let’s see where the lands in the next few days.
Injuries are a big concern at this stage. The belief is there. The game plan is holding up. The attitude is right. However ultimately every team needs their best players on the park to win consistently. Coleman medalist out, all Australian caliber full back out, number one ruckman out, all back up key position options (apart from Kemp) are out.
Anyway, need to keep on finding a way to win and stay afloat until a few key players come back. Boys and coaches will give it their best crack as they have through adversity all year.
Go blues

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thought we were flat but still fought it out. Losing Weitering was massive and an issue for us. Thank goodness for the bye this week.

Having so many talls out has worn us down and made us easier to defend against. Yet we only just lost. Need at least one tall KPP next week in the draft and hopefully we will get Pittonet & McKay back soon after bye. Hope Weiterings shoulder isnt major. Kennedy will also help as will a fit Martin, maybe even Ed

I see a lot of improvement in Durdin, Motlop, TDK, O'Brien, Cottrell, Dow, Kemp to come.

Overall a lot to like for 11 games. 8-3 is a massive improvement and I see a lot of improvement still. Have a rest, get some players back and look forward to an exciting second half of the year and hopefully finals.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:23 pm 
Robert Walls

They seemed to be grieving the loss of Weitering for the whole first qtr
Didn't see enough spread and lowering eyes going inside F50...this was exascerbated by non-existent smalls around Charlie when it was bombed to him
Too much kicking to a contest from the kickouts...this played into their hands, causing repeat F50 entries which put even more pressure on a fragile backline...should have played a bit more mark and kick, gaining ground so that defenders could keep their structure and non-involved wingers could provide cover
Poor decision making and execution going inside F50
Owies saved his bacon with those 2 goals

At this stage, assuming Marchbank not available
IN: Kemp, Martin, Kennedy
OUT: Weitering, Carrol, Motlop
maybe Marchbank sub???

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BlueJean wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
kezza wrote:

I'm glad he didn't.

I disagree with your comment about “ not deserving to win .” You either win or lose. Full stop. That free kick would have won us the game.
Fair point. Just didn't feel at any point that we had played well enough to win it.

Would have loved to pinch it like everyone here.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'm more devastated about the injury than the loss. It could really derail our season.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

Collingwood carved us up on the spread, as have other teams in patches this year and get easy ball wide and over the top. We need to fix this as we cannot play 120 minutes of contested footy all the time as we will lose the ball. Opposition players move it too easily via the midfield and wings. Do we still not work hard enough for 120 minutes without the ball or are we too slow through the midfield? I suspect there is an issue somewhere in between there.

Credit to the team for fighting it out and nearly pinching it. I guess if the umpiring was a bit fairer, we might have had a chance. Felt for JSoS - was nearly in tears after the game knowing he missed a golden opportunity.

Now - we need to be honest about Cottrell. Sidebottom has looked VFA standard all year yet looked All Australian finding easy ball and space against Cottrell all day. My biggest frustration today and that includes Weitering going down. Newnes was Mr Invisible again today. Motlop should have been replaced with Martin and Kemp should have played today as we need another tall forward.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Too many passengers . I thought our topend players were great , but shit we fell away . Our bottom six were deplorable today . The injury to Weiters is concerning . Very concerning .

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
They seemed to be grieving the loss of Weitering for the whole first qtr
Didn't see enough spread and lowering eyes going inside F50...this was exascerbated by non-existent smalls around Charlie when it was bombed to him
Too much kicking to a contest from the kickouts...this played into their hands, causing repeat F50 entries which put even more pressure on a fragile backline...should have played a bit more mark and kick, gaining ground so that defenders could keep their structure and non-involved wingers could provide cover
Poor decision making and execution going inside F50
Owies saved his bacon with those 2 goals

At this stage, assuming Marchbank not available
IN: Kemp, Martin, Kennedy
OUT: Weitering, Carrol, Motlop
maybe Marchbank sub???

Marchbank as sub? I don't think so. He needs game time, so stays in the VFL until he is ready to play AFL.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

If Marchbank is fit to play seniors, he plays.

If Marchbank is not fit to play seniors he plays VFL.

Not sub.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next