Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 am 
Rod Ashman

I think Dow is pretty good at getting the ball in traffic and emerging full of steam… he just needs to be able to then measure what he does next.
And tackle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Disappointing we won't be wearing our proper jumpers for this match.

What jumpers are we wearing?

Don't tell me we are wearing white "clash" jumpers.
That's an oxymoron for this game.
The Traditional Jumper provides a perfect contrast between the two teams.
If its white, then like many other AFL Commission rule and regulation introductions, the "clash" jumper is a farce.

I would be really disappointed if our Executive, along with the Pies Executive didn't protest against this decision for Carlton to wear white strips.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

jake_h03 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
As good as Dow is going in the 2s, he’s up against it to get anywhere near what Kennedy brings to the table. Bam Bam’s stats per 100min are as good as anyone.

He’ll need all of the luck he can muster.

We seem to hold Dow to higher standards than other players coming into the side from the 2s don’t we. It’s like he either has to be a superstar or he’s not worthy of a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dow is leading a VFL midfield. You can make an argument that's more impressive than being the 5th mid in the seniors. The drovers dog can get 25 possessions in our midfield and Kennedy was battling gamely last year before he had Hewitt, Cerra and a fit Cripps around him.; let's see what Dow brings to our setup this time with an open mind.

If he kicks some goals from the midfield that would be handy cause the rest of our mids have stopped hitting the scoreboard. I'm less concerned about the tackling cause I'm sure he'll pick up the standard quickly, but if he's in for Kennedy he better take his marks when they're there.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
I think Dow is pretty good at getting the ball in traffic and emerging full of steam… he just needs to be able to then measure what he does next.
And tackle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got back from an intense skills session with U14's boys.
We focused on what to do in a contest, how vulnerable opponents are at giving away frees, and what to do, if the opposition gets the ball.
Kids who want to play TEAM footy, get it.
Kids are in it for themselves, don't get it, or they lack Footy IQ and can't visualise

I am 100% sure of coaching staff have drilled into Dow, what is expected of him, not just tomorrow, but his role in every game.
Forget about the past. This coaching group, led by Voss, has buy in from all players who cross the line.
EVERYONE has a defensive role, to tackle, to cover the opponent, to fill space, to get back and provide help for defenders.

Its up to Dow to show that he can bring a defensive mindset to an AFL match, by applying all the learnings and instructions from his coaches.

If Dow can have a great game, perhaps a breakthrough game in his first outing this year, he can be part of the Fab 6 moving forward, and we just batter deeper and deeper as the year roles on.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
kezza wrote:
bluedog wrote:

If its white, then like many other AFL Commission rule and regulation introductions, the "clash" jumper is a farce.

I would be really disappointed if our Executive, along with the Pies Executive didn't protest against this decision for Carlton to wear white strips.
We wear the white jumpers

It's not our home game

The pies now have a black back for their home jumper. Whichever way you look at it, black and white with a black back, and navy blue, white shorts is a clash.

It's their home game and we wear our away jumper.

I'm fine with it.

If we win in pink and purple I don't care. Just win.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I know he isn't their prez anymore, but I thought Eddie decreed that he always wanted us in navy blue when we play them?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

RE: Dow my take is he has now been brought in because he can play significant midfield minutes with Kennedy out. That's his role. He will also bring some speed from the contest and possibly allow Walsh & Cerra to play a bit more wing

Like O'Brien, I believe Dow has been poorly developed. Now our development/coaching is so much better and I have seen significant improvement in both. Both still need to keep improving but I really like what i have seen this year. Cottrell is another I believe is improving under this new regime

The more the better

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:

We seem to hold Dow to higher standards than other players coming into the side from the 2s don’t we.

No. Why would you think that?

It’s like he either has to be a superstar or he’s not worthy of a game

It may be "like" that to you...and I have never read he needs to be a superstar.

I feel for Dow's position on the list, but I don't feel sorry for him whilst Carlton are at 8-2.

It sees to me that Dow and LOB, coincidently from Geelong and drafted in the top 10 in the same year, have same question marks on their defensive game.

Point is, whilst Dow isn't playing, LOB is playing and yet has the spotlight on the physical side of his game. The same questions raised, so he's lucky to be best available for the role he plays. Skinny little David Glascott played wing in a much tougher era, but he wasn't scared to tackle or put his head over the ball, so its a belmish on LOB's game. So, no, Dow isn't on his own with criticism directed at his game.

I'm sure you know that the negative on Dow's game is his defensive running, and the lack of 2nd and 3rd efforts. A quality that will be needed in Finals, let alone a Grand Final. Ive watched every VFL game this year, and 3 live. Dow's first quarters have been fantastic from an offensive perspective, when everyone is firing, and he accumulates numbers. But for a guy who doesn't do any defensive running from what Ive seen, he seems to fade out badly in games against VFL players.

Lets hope Dow has another great quarter as he did in his last AFL game vs Effendum, when he accumulated 11 disposals in the First quarter before being subbed off with a smashed nose (from friendly fire). BUT, for his footy future, I hope he realises that he will be judged on his defensive side of the game: running back to help fill holes, cover an opponent and provide support for the defenders.

Carlton, under Voss, has come along way from the downhill skiing team we were in the Teague era.

This is his BIG chance to hold a spot in the 22. I wish him the best.

I'm happy to have Cerra and Walsh on wings rotating with mids, IF Cripps Hewett Kennedy and Dow can make a great combo.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluehammer wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
kezza wrote:
bluedog wrote:

It's not our home game

The pies now have a black back for their home jumper. Whichever way you look at it, black and white with a black back, and navy blue, white shorts is a clash.

I'm fine with it.

Good point :thumbsup:

I agree....just win !!!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluehammer wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
kezza wrote:
bluedog wrote:

It's not our home game

I'm fine with it.

Why were both Essendon* and Richmond allowed to wear black jumpers last week in the Dreamtime game then?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Dow's biggest problem is his contribution when he's not in the midfield. That's why the coaches are playing him forward in the second half of VFL games IMHO. To give him time in the role and to learn to find the uncontested ball.
He has great hands, is a good mark but he doesn't read the play when the ball is outside of stoppages. If he can learn to win some uncontested footy or learn when to lead when the ball is in motion, he can take his game to the next level.
The biggest watch for me? To see he has the confidence to use the ball by foot in the AFL. He's happy to run, carry and kick in the VFL but when he comes into the AFL where there is greater scrutiny, he clams up and tries to give by hands at every opportunity. It takes away one of his biggest strengths. Driving his legs out of stoppage.

I'm a huge fan and hope he takes this chance.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

Won’t we be wearing the indigenous guernsey again?

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lets go Paddy….

“Light Judd” the hell out of this game…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
Won’t we be wearing the indigenous guernsey again?

I hope so.
I am watching the Geelong V Crows game at Geelong.
Cats wearing white shorts with a mainly white jumper and the Crows wearing the dark jumper.
That is one thing Geelong do well. When we play them they always wear a lighter jumper even if it their home game.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

79Vintage wrote:
Best of luck to Paddy Dow for Sunday.
I hope he has a blinder!
'Google, what's a blinder?'

Hope so too :thumbsup:

Give him the ball out of the stoppage and let him burst away

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

We seem to hold Dow to higher standards than other players coming into the side from the 2s don’t we.

No. Why would you think that?

It’s like he either has to be a superstar or he’s not worthy of a game

It may be "like" that to you...and I have never read he needs to be a superstar.

I feel for Dow's position on the list, but I don't feel sorry for him whilst Carlton are at 8-2.

It sees to me that Dow and LOB, coincidently from Geelong and drafted in the top 10 in the same year, have same question marks on their defensive game.

Point is, whilst Dow isn't playing, LOB is playing and yet has the spotlight on the physical side of his game. The same questions raised, so he's lucky to be best available for the role he plays. Skinny little David Glascott played wing in a much tougher era, but he wasn't scared to tackle or put his head over the ball, so its a belmish on LOB's game. So, no, Dow isn't on his own with criticism directed at his game.

I'm sure you know that the negative on Dow's game is his defensive running, and the lack of 2nd and 3rd efforts. A quality that will be needed in Finals, let alone a Grand Final. Ive watched every VFL game this year, and 3 live. Dow's first quarters have been fantastic from an offensive perspective, when everyone is firing, and he accumulates numbers. But for a guy who doesn't do any defensive running from what Ive seen, he seems to fade out badly in games against VFL players.

Lets hope Dow has another great quarter as he did in his last AFL game vs Effendum, when he accumulated 11 disposals in the First quarter before being subbed off with a smashed nose (from friendly fire). BUT, for his footy future, I hope he realises that he will be judged on his defensive side of the game: running back to help fill holes, cover an opponent and provide support for the defenders.

Carlton, under Voss, has come along way from the downhill skiing team we were in the Teague era.

This is his BIG chance to hold a spot in the 22. I wish him the best.

I'm happy to have Cerra and Walsh on wings rotating with mids, IF Cripps Hewett Kennedy and Dow can make a great combo.

:clap: love your observations and always look forward to your perspective bondi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

Kid 2 got COVID on Sunday.

I literally just tested positive after a week of negative RATs.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kezza wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
kezza wrote:
bluedog wrote:

It's not our home game

I'm fine with it.

Why were both Essendon** and Richmond allowed to wear black jumpers last week in the Dreamtime game then?
It was a shit viewer experience on TV and would have been worse at the ground.

It's not about what's 'allowed', I'd rather see contrasting jumpers love and on TV.

Remember us v Melbourne when we had a big red MAYNE or TOSHIBA across our backs? Terrible.

I honestly think Richmond recovered OK from winning their first flag in 37 in an away jumper...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

missnaut wrote:

RATS….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

missnaut wrote:

Oh dear.
Hope you are ok.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next