Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh is running in 3rd gear post injury. He'll be fine, but thankfully Cerra and Kennedy are shouldering the load.

He 'benefitted' from having to be Cripps at times last year. With Cripps back to being Cripps, Walsh needs to get back to being Walsh. Only needs to find a few percent.

Mike Fitzpatrick

6-2. Top 4. Being somewhat disappointed with 8 goal wins. What is this :lol:

We have well and truly exceeded all (my) expectations thus far. I’m a self confessed nervous Nellie. My natural inclination is to be worried about it all unraveling somehow. But it feels so @#$%&! good to be where we are at the moment. Long may it continue.

Stephen Kernahan

Pro's-
Boyd great courage and used the ball much better
Young is really looking the goods. Not a great kick but he plays within his limitations and hits the targets he knows he can make.
Doc playing great footy.
Saad playing great footy.
Kennedy keeps playing tough smart footy.
Cerra is all class but the kid is bloody tough as well.
TDK continues to impress.
Charlie. I never lost hope and he is getting better every week
Fish frustratescatq times but he is good value.
Cripps. What can you say. He's not trying to do everything this year but he's excelling at his strengths which brings others into the game. His goal kicking has improved out of sight.
Durdin and Owies aren't getting many looks at goal but their pressure is elite.
Our defensive structure and communication is getting better. Especially in the 3rd quarter, it was superb.
The Baggers back at the footy in full voice.
Our coaching group.

Cons-
Another injury.
I thought LOB had some very poor moments.
Weiters gave Tex too much of a leg rope.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

MPH78 wrote:
6-2. Top 4. Being somewhat disappointed with 8 goal wins. What is this :lol:

We have well and truly exceeded all (my) expectations thus far. I’m a self confessed nervous Nellie. My natural inclination is to be worried about it all unraveling somehow. But it feels so @#$%&! good to be where we are at the moment. Long may it continue.

You've got it back the front. We're still improving. Be nervous for GWS cause it could get ugly!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I thought Williams was good today, anyone agree?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:25 am 
Bruce Doull

Yup i do kerna….

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…
but every time Williams hurts himself a
little…he always plays better afterwords…!

it’s a weird thing…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:58 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Listen mate
Too many posters like you obviously don’t look at the AFL as a whole
Adelaide are a reasonable team but are behind in their rebuild compared to us
Crouch and Sloane are massive losses for a thin midfield but Berry looks good. You probably wouldn’t know who he is until you look him up on your App.
Smith and Seedsman are terrific players who use the ball superbly. Check out their metres gained stats in 2021. They were out today.

Crouch isn't a loss. He's playing SANFL because he's a @#$%&! crab! :lol:
As for Sloane and Smith, how about Hewitt and Pittonet. Both playing far better footy this year than the has beens that are "massive losses" for Adelaide.

That's what gives everyone the shits. You talk up the opposition all the time and bag your own team. Crouch? FMD!
For someone who continually accuses other posters of not watching other teams, how about practicing what you preach.

How did Martin go before he got injured.
Anything could happen but GWS are really struggling .
Then it gets a bit harder
BV you focus too much on the negative stuff I say. I have posted some positive stuff tonight.
It’s a long season.
How did you think McAdam went :wink:

Ah yes. Typical Keogh. Talk crap and when you're called out, deflect, deflect.
Martin, blah, blah. McAdam Blah, blah.

Who was missing better players? Who are the far better players this year? Hewitt and Pittonet or Smith and Sloane?
The Carlton players are obliterating the Adelaide outs this year. As for Crouch. He's a crab playing SANFL footy.
Don't defect. Don't try to change the subject with your usual "look over there" rubbish.
Adelaide were no more impacted by injury than Carlton. Admit it.

I just don't understand how someone who supposedly supports a club consistently looks for reasons to undersell their performances while trying to make excuses for the team they beat. Carltons outs are better performed that Adelaides outs. Show some courage and admit you're @#$%&! wrong for once.
But no. It will be more "look over there" instead of facing the truth.

Carlton won by 8 goals. They're 4th on the ladder. Suck it up and let the rest of us enjoy it.

It’s the big picture stuff BV.
I just don’t look at where we are on the ladder.
We have a great draw this year.
We don’t play Brisbane and Melbourne till late in the year.
We only play Freo twice in regards to the top teams
Given where we are at we will play finals.
You can catch a team when they are playing shit
The draw is a joke. We all know that. Playing only 5 teams twice continues to be laughable.
In regards to this year so far compared to last year

Our mids bats deeper.
Kennedy has evolved in the last year.
Cerra complements Cripps Kennedy and Hewitt
Add Walsh who by the way is clearly not 100% and we are much better.
We are fierce at the contest.
I noticed Carroll got a few clearences yesterday as well
Hopefully he will add to the midfield mix.
A good midfield that bats deep keeps you in the game

We finally get to see McKay and Curnow together
Win in the middle and they become weapons.
They also complement each other as well
Silvangi looks like he has become better.
He is fast becoming the modern utility player. Has always been a smart footballer.

Owies and Durdin add the pressure.
Young looks like a good pickup
It’s what you do when you haven’t the ball which is imo more important

I want to see how we go against a top side and/or when Cripps isn’t there or having a bad one.
IMO it’s a potential problem
We still are suss when the opposition have the ball in space
Buy Voss has coached 8 games.
Don’t sack him when things go to off the rails

Last edited by keogh on Mon May 09, 2022 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:10 am 
Bob Chitty

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Cripps and Curnow.
Cerra's kicking into forward 50 is elite.
Saad is becoming one of my favourite players.
Probably best games for the year from Weiters and De Koning.
Delighted to see Fisher hit the scoreboard.
Love how SOJ contributes in multiple roles.
Young and Boyd continue to improve. I thought they were both close to being in our best.
Carroll looks to be a beauty. His kicking is a real weapon. Hard to see him exiting the team any time soon.
Thought Cottrell contributed well when he came on. Just lacks a little confidence in taking the more difficult options.

Cons:

Over-possessed the ball in the last quarter. Too many unnecessary extra handballs in the chains.
Great that Owies and Durdin are tackling and applying pressure. But I'd love to see them find more ball and hit the scoreboard. Too much depends on Charlie, Harry and Cripps. We get more crumbing goals from Charlie and Harry than our small forwards.
Still not seeing the best from Walsh.
Got a good run from the umps for 3 quarters. But not in the last.
I reckon we still get found out as a little one-paced.

This.
Except, I think Cerra's delivery into 50 is very good but not yet elite as it doesn't always hit his target.
Agree about Owies and Durds: again yesterday felt they don't quite have that electrifying burst speed - maybe Motlop has it? But they gave everything for 4 quarters.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:01 am 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
33mcconville wrote:
keogh wrote:
Listen mate
Too many posters like you obviously don’t look at the AFL as a whole
Adelaide are a reasonable team but are behind in their rebuild compared to us
Crouch and Sloane are massive losses for a thin midfield but Berry looks good. You probably wouldn’t know who he is until you look him up on your App.
Smith and Seedsman are terrific players who use the ball superbly. Check out their metres gained stats in 2021. They were out today. The Crows were ripe for the picking.
I’ll start to get excited when we beat a decent team in top form.
In the meantime you and others can get a Chubby over every win.
As I said before the game continues to evolve.

I was happy with the win today. I can see definite improvement in some areas.
You can ask me which areas are better from 2021 if you can be bothered

Correct. I cannot be bothered as I have little respect for your knowledge with your grandstanding.

Like many, I have read your repetitive dross that floods these forums and am bored with it.

To be honest? I tend to turn off from posts after the first spelling or grammatical error. You give me very quick "opportunities" "mate".

Jog on. You bore me and add nothing.

Why don’t you ask me about all the good stuff that happened today?
I’ll add plenty
You probably won’t
On to Sydney and GWS
It will be interesting if Cameron has the fire power to tag Cripps.
We have struggled when he hasn’t been on the park this year.
There you go. I’ve added something

I think it’s great that we are 6-2 (first time since 1996 I think) and top 4. We haven’t done that for a long time, irrespective of the opposition.
But it is true that we have had a pretty good draw - although it didn’t look that way before the season started: we’ve beaten Richmond, Bulldogs, Port who have turned out not to be as good as usual.
BUT, we haven’t taken these opportunities before either so that is progress. Plus we are playing much better even than the start of the year and I expect this to continue through the year. I think our defensive unit is gelling nicely with Young solidifying his spot IMO. And the pressure makes a huge diff all over the ground.
Re Cripps, it is a big diff whether he is out of the team Vs if he is tagged out of the game: if the latter, I would expect players like Walsh to step up while they’re focused on Cripps.
But, yes, the last two weeks when we have done well in the third quarter has been against weak opposition. We need to show that against better teams too.
The coming month or so is very important.
The thing to keep in mind is that we are meeting most of our challenges which we haven’t done in the past few years.
And we now have expectations rather than just hope every week which I haven’t truly experienced for over a decade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:03 am 
Rod Ashman

Simply happy to win!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:27 am 
Ken Hunter

8 games in there are things we can see that have changed and things that we need to work on.
Our midfield is strong
Our talls forward are strong
The whole team is working really hard together, not saying it, doing it.
We are strong at the ball and strong in our tackling when they have the ball.

I am happy with the progress, that doesn't mean I don't see what needs to improve (mind you for most of the game we protected the corridor and our transition and turnover work is improving), just that we get this is a work in progress but this year the progress seems to be moving us forward,

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:

Yep , agree . Seems settled on that HBF . He is becoming a Mr Reliable .

Anyhow , the Club is going great . No way known am i going to be picky . Rome wasn't built in a day . Voss is continually tinkering and will slowly but surely iron out the chinks . A very mature coach these days . But Voss is Voss and leopards don't change there spots . A little birdy told me the boys copped a spray off Voss after the game . Nothing withering but a tickle up all the same .

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
keogh wrote:
The pressure today was the key
That’s what modern footy is about
It’s what you do when you haven’t the ball

Owies and Durdin are very important
Carroll looks like a footballer
Cripps was huge again
I think 74 inside 50 s is a record
It’s hard to keep playing at that standard for 4 quarters
Best win so far this year in my book
Long way to go

:clap:

I've been hard on you for being a negative contrarian, so I acknowledge and thank you for correcting those who are disappointed that a 68pt lead became a 48pt win. For those feeling deflated, please remember that only a few weeks ago we let a 50pt lead become a 2pt lead and eventual 4pt win, and before that let a 38pt lead become a deficit. We had a reputation for 3rd Q collapses and inability to hold a lead. In the past two weeks we have smashed the opposition in the 3rd Q and never given them a sniff after that. This is a welcome development, let's celebrate it!

I call it the way I see it
We have had a relatively soft draw so far.
Any team can beat anyone else too
Look at GC yesterday.
Really good win today but it’s about process
Cripps has been off the charts so far
So someone has to tag him this week.
Is De Boer still going around
And who plays on Greene

For me it’s about the process
Our pressurewas great today
Top 4 is great but not too interested in it
That’s for simple minded people

Re: De Doer. I thought you watched all the other games. FYI he's been dropped afew times this year, and in the past has done well against a crippled Cripps. This week he was the unused sub. I'd love for DeBoer to try tag Cripps this weekend and watch the tables turn.

If you aren't interested in YOUR team being in the Top 4 and consider any Carlton supporter interested in this fact as simple minded, I'm sure you think I'm the exception :wink: Gosh keogh. Do you live under a rock? We have been in the bottom 4 for the last umteen years, and you feel the reverse is the way to go?

Show some respect to the team, and your team's effort and improvement thus far, and ditto to your fellow Blue Brethren, because your remark is foolish at the very least. Footy is an emotional game, and you are just wanting to sstart a fight with those sort of remarks.

You tell me who should play on Greene?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

missnaut wrote:
It was nice to go to the footy and never really be worried. Crows never felt like they were going to challenge us.

Boyd was heaps better.

Carroll was a bit quiet but he is a second gamer.

I thought the crowd was decent for Sunday twilight on Mothers day.

Re Carroll, you and a few others are in the same boat, who didn't notice him as much as last week. You will get use to him.

I watched the game with someone who said the same as you missnaut. I questioned them if they knew what Carroll's number was, and they couldn't. Not saying you couldn't, but he flies under the radar playing for the contested ball in packs.

He is unassuming and does a lot of hard work on the inside. His numbers show a similar output to last week's. Just had a bit more time on the ground last week.

He's 19yo, 2nd gamer:
8 Contested possessions, 3 clearances. 18 disposals in 66% Game Time. 314 metres gained.
2 inside 50's. 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, missed a couple shots like last week that he normally eats up.

He's a beauty.
All the preseason hype, including Agro's wise words are proving to be right. He's a real footballer with good athletic attributes.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:04 am 
Wayne Johnston

Mickstar wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

Yep , agree . Seems settled on that HBF . He is becoming a Mr Reliable .

Anyhow , the Club is going great . No way known am i going to be picky . Rome wasn't built in a day . Voss is continually tinkering and will slowly but surely iron out the chinks . A very mature coach these days . But Voss is Voss and leopards don't change there spots . A little birdy told me the boys copped a spray off Voss after the game . Nothing withering but a tickle up all the same .

Yes, the intensity really dropped in the last quarter, that’s why it looked like we “over possessed” the ball, we didn’t over possess, we just didn’t apply the same intensity to work through packs and high pressure situations and were caught.

I’m glad Voss gave them a blast for that, we can’t do that against good sides like Melbourne, and this is what keogh is worried about. Keogh’s not a wet blanket, he’s ahead of his time, he’s over us being average and wants us to be elite. Keogh is a man in a hurry.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
It was nice to go to the footy and never really be worried. Crows never felt like they were going to challenge us.

Boyd was heaps better.

Re Carroll, you and a few others are in the same boat, who didn't notice him as much as last week. You will get use to him.

I watched the game with someone who said the same as you missnaut. I questioned them if they knew what Carroll's number was, and they couldn't. Not saying you couldn't, but he flies under the radar playing for the contested ball in packs.

He is unassuming and does a lot of hard work on the inside. His numbers show a similar output to last week's. Just had a bit more time on the ground last week.

He's 19yo, 2nd gamer:
8 Contested possessions, 3 clearances. 18 disposals in 66% Game Time. 314 metres gained.
2 inside 50's. 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, missed a couple shots like last week that he normally eats up.

He's a beauty.
All the preseason hype, including Agro's wise words are proving to be right. He's a real footballer with good athletic attributes.

I am pretty sure the commentators called him as Durdin a number of times. Don’t know why, he’s a lot taller and is a leftie.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

33mcconville wrote:
keogh wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
keogh wrote:
The pressure today was the key

Top 4 is great but not too interested in it
That’s for simple minded people

"Top 4 is great.
I am not too interested in it.
That is for simple minded people."

Fascinating insight to a bizarre and contrary mind really. "Great" and "not too interested" aren't really connected and as for the "simple minded" comment?

An incredibly pompous statement from someone whose grammar and spelling are deplorable.

Why resort to derision?

Well put Peter Mac 33

Keogh is displaying typical Sanctimonious commentary.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Cripps and Curnow.
Cerra's kicking into forward 50 is elite.
Saad is becoming one of my favourite players.
Probably best games for the year from Weiters and De Koning.
Delighted to see Fisher hit the scoreboard.
Love how SOJ contributes in multiple roles.
Young and Boyd continue to improve. I thought they were both close to being in our best.
Carroll looks to be a beauty. His kicking is a real weapon. Hard to see him exiting the team any time soon.
Thought Cottrell contributed well when he came on. Just lacks a little confidence in taking the more difficult options.

Cons:

Over-possessed the ball in the last quarter. Too many unnecessary extra handballs in the chains.
Great that Owies and Durdin are tackling and applying pressure. But I'd love to see them find more ball and hit the scoreboard. Too much depends on Charlie, Harry and Cripps. We get more crumbing goals from Charlie and Harry than our small forwards.
Still not seeing the best from Walsh.
Got a good run from the umps for 3 quarters. But not in the last.
I reckon we still get found out as a little one-paced.

Agree with your summary stef :thumbsup:

It was highlighted by Sidefx last week that the little fellas spend 2/3's of their time in the defensive side of the ground.
You make a good point re crumbing goals from the likes of Curnow and Harry. Maybe that's the plan. They are that good and mobile one on one with the oppositions smalls chasing their smaller counterparts in less dangerous parts of the ground. Just guessing though.

Interested in what you mean by getting caught out "one paced".
Is that in Transition? Interested in our weaknesses after 8 rounds.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:

Boyd was heaps better.

He's 19yo, 2nd gamer:

He's a beauty.

I am pretty sure the commentators called him as Durdin a number of times. Don’t know why, he’s a lot taller and is a leftie.
Both Boyd and Carroll were called as Durdin on the coverage.

It reminds me of a game that Sam Kekovich called at Princes Park years ago where every blonde player was stevens

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Pro's-
Boyd great courage and used the ball much better
Young is really looking the goods. Not a great kick but he plays within his limitations and hits the targets he knows he can make.
Doc playing great footy.
Saad playing great footy.
Kennedy keeps playing tough smart footy.
Cerra is all class but the kid is bloody tough as well.
TDK continues to impress.
Charlie. I never lost hope and he is getting better every week
Fish frustratescatq times but he is good value.
Cripps. What can you say. He's not trying to do everything this year but he's excelling at his strengths which brings others into the game. His goal kicking has improved out of sight.
Durdin and Owies aren't getting many looks at goal but their pressure is elite.
Our defensive structure and communication is getting better. Especially in the 3rd quarter, it was superb.
The Baggers back at the footy in full voice.
Our coaching group.

Cons-
Another injury.
I thought LOB had some very poor moments.
Weiters gave Tex too much of a leg rope.

Said before the game, if TDK can just halve the contests we will win.
He was up against a bigger, stronger ruckman in the same mould as Freo's Sean Darcy
The only count that matters is the taps to advantage and OBrien 10 vs TDK 7 is a win for the 22yo.
He's developing well at only 22yo, and he's playing with a desire to win, therefore competes every contest in the air or on the ground.
Assett, who will be a huge weapon when Pitto gets back in the 2nd half of the season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next