Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:55 am 
Bruce Doull

frank dardew wrote:
We got 40 K to the ground on Saturday night against North our supporter base are voting with their feet and there is a genuine excitement with our team and where it is going

Absolutely!

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/11174 ... -benchmark

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm 
Garry Crane

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
My issue with Saad is he has played in one position his whole career.
He is very good at what he does but it’s a criticism that’s warranted.

Very stupid comment.

I don't get the comment either.
He's good at what he does and that warrants criticism. Nah, doesn't make sense.

He plays HBF and he's better than most in the land in that position.
I can't see anything wrong with that.

That's one spot we have a player for, next...

Come on guys, always thought we could have extracted more out of Doull if he played in other positions

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Hudson was crap - only ever kicked goals, Plugger was worse, and don't get me started on bloody Skilton - only ever roved his whole life. All three, shit, 1 dimensional footballers.

as for modern

Cotchin shit 1 position footballer
May crap 1 position footballer
Betts - could only play small

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

TheDenominator wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:

Very stupid comment.

I don't get the comment either.
He's good at what he does and that warrants criticism. Nah, doesn't make sense.

He plays HBF and he's better than most in the land in that position.
I can't see anything wrong with that.

That's one spot we have a player for, next...

Come on guys, always thought we could have extracted more out of Doull if he played in other positions

Bruce played up forward at one stage, he wanted a change if I remember correctly. Kicked a few goals too as I recall, soon back where he belonged though.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wasn't one of our biggest issues over the course of the century that we pick blokes for position x and try to play them in position y. Or hope they grow.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

McKay to fullback, TBD the wing, Cripps to CHB, Weitering to ruck.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
Hudson was crap - only ever kicked goals, Plugger was worse, and don't get me started on bloody Skilton - only ever roved his whole life. All three, shit, 1 dimensional footballers.

as for modern

How would Hudson go in 2022. He wouldn’t be standing in the goal square with his opponent and nobody else in the forward half
Ditto Lockett
Stilton played all his career on the ball although did spend time up forward . Hudson was one dimensional. Don’t know how he would go in 2022.
Lockett played ruck in a state game. Reckon he could of adapted in 2022. Stilton wasn’t one dimensional at all. Played all over the ground.

Cotchin is limited as a footballer but became much tougher and nastier later in his career. Not one dimensional
May has done stuff all until a few years ago.
May plonks himself as the last man in line near the defensive goals. Mitchell made sure a player stayed with between him and the goals last week. Coaches have been slow at doing something that is so simple to nullify May’s effectiveness
So yep one dimensional
Betts did play on the ball at times in his career at centre bounces and he was great. Betts was a forward. His influence on games was far greater than if Saad gets 25 touches.

What you seem to fail to understand and acknowledge is where talking 2022 and beyond. The game continually evolves. And with Docherty and Williams playing that attacking mop up small defensive role
Why have three players playing similar roles.
Docherty was tried on a wing. Didn’t work
Williams on baller. Didn’t work
Saad try him further up the ground might make us a better team.
Adelaide did this to Laird a few years back out of necessity due to injury to Sloane and Crouch. Laird by accident has become one of the best mids in the comp
Saad has had a near decade of pre seasons
Should have the strength and stamina to do it

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

dannyboy wrote:

Feels like we’ve been waiting an eternity for TBD to show something.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:

To be determined to the wing … very apt … lol

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

as for modern

How would Hudson go in 2022. He wouldn’t be standing in the goal square with his opponent and nobody else in the forward half
Ditto Lockett
Stilton played all his career on the ball although did spend time up forward . Hudson was one dimensional. Don’t know how he would go in 2022.
Lockett played ruck in a state game. Reckon he could of adapted in 2022. Stilton wasn’t one dimensional at all. Played all over the ground.

Cotchin is limited as a footballer but became much tougher and nastier later in his career. Not one dimensional
May plonks himself as the last man in line near the defensive goals. Mitchell made sure a player stayed with between him and the goals last week. Coaches have been slow at doing something that is so simple to nullify May’s effectiveness
So yep one dimensional
Betts did play on the ball at times in his career at centre bounces and he was great. Betts was a forward. His influence on games was far greater than if Saad gets 25 touches.

What you seem to fail to understand and acknowledge is where talking 2022 and beyond. The game continually evolves. And with Docherty and Williams playing that attacking mop up small defensive role
Adelaide did this to Laird a few years back out of necessity due to injury to Sloane and Crouch. Laird by accident has become one of the best mids in the comp

Its not Saad's choice mate.

He's a player and Voss is the coach. The coach makes the decision.

I'd love to see Saad on a wing, or Docherty, or Williams, but we need Stocker fit and firing to do that.

Are you sure you've seen Docherty play on a wing? Midfield? He was damn good at it.
You're making up rubbish again and belittling our good players because you've got a gripe with SOS and the previous List Managers.

Saad did play wing for GCS i quite a few games, and was quite good at it. GCS didn't want to lose him, neither did Effendruggies, and fortunately he's become our weapon.

WE are 5-2, not 2-5, and we are growing and developing and last week we won with 10 of our best 22 out injured and Jones retired. Get fair dinkum.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:45 pm 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:

Very stupid comment.

Why?

Because Saad doesn’t choose which position he plays, the coaching staff do, so why do you have a problem with Saad?

Also you’re wrong as Saad DID play on the wing at GC.

Also why single out Saad and not Cripps, Walsh, Harry, C Curnow, etc for only playing one position?

So yes, not just stupid but very stupid comment.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Saad is one dimensional.
Yes it’s where the coaching staff want him to play.
Not singling out Saad but to have 3 guys in the backline who are all similar to me is counter productive

A question for all of you
Who plays on Greene in two weeks.
Last year quality small forwards were a massive problem for us
Neither Saad Williams and Docherty could do the lock down role. That went to a 10 gamer in Stocker.
I would definitely give one of the former 3 the job and I would pick williams with Saad playing a more attacking role up the ground.
Can Saad if given the role just play a completely negative role to keep the likes of Greene quiet.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

as for modern

Ditto Lockett

So yep one dimensional

Its not Saad's choice mate.

He's a player and Voss is the coach. The coach makes the decision.

I'd love to see Saad on a wing, or Docherty, or Williams, but we need Stocker fit and firing to do that.

Are you sure you've seen Docherty play on a wing? Midfield? He was damn good at it.
You're making up rubbish again and belittling our good players because you've got a gripe with SOS and the previous List Managers.

Saad did play wing for GCS i quite a few games, and was quite good at it. GCS didn't want to lose him, neither did Effendruggies, and fortunately he's become our weapon.

WE are 5-2, not 2-5, and we are growing and developing and last week we won with 10 of our best 22 out injured and Jones retired. Get fair dinkum.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this site.
SOS had nothing to do with Saads recruitment.
Bondi you know that from my posts that I believe our recruiting strategy has been flawed for years.
5 and 2 sounds great and yes it’s better than 2 and 5 but it’s the big picture stuff
For Saad to be worth it as Martin McGovern and Williams are to be worth it they need to contribute to a flag. That’s of course if other players come through and take over their spots
That’s the end result we all want.
From what I see we lack defensive structure in a big way when the opposition have the ball in space
Lose the clearences and we are easy to play against
Moving Saad up the ground would possibly help with our defensive structure

The way footy is now it’s probably more important what you do when you haven’t the footy than when you have the pill

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Everyone might be entitled to an opinion doesn't mean all opinions need to be valued. So I'm glad you have an opinion, just wish it could diversify - you know add different dimensions to your game.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:
Everyone might be entitled to an opinion doesn't mean all opinions need to be valued. So I'm glad you have an opinion, just wish it could diversify - you know add different dimensions to your game.

:lol:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:

I do post some positive things
Judging by your posts you don’t understand the modern game

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I'm sure Danny would enjoy the opportunity to be educated. As could I. Why don't you explain "the modern game" to us?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

I'm sure Danny would enjoy the opportunity to be educated. As could I. Why don't you explain "the modern game" to us?

Plugger to the ruck obviously.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

To win a flag you must have a coach who you don’t sack. Give them time to develop a system that can sustain pressure .
And you need a point of difference.
Richmond’s was manic pressure and protecting space. When Richmond won their 3 flags they were a poor clearence team. Many of their goals came from turn overs.
Melbourne won a flag without your traditional key forward. Brown and McDonald are lead up forwards. Fritsch and Pickett did most of the damage. It helps to have the best ruckman and 2 gun mids but they took defence to a whole new level.
And both teams had heaps of players who were late picks rookie picks. You need foot soldiers to do the job. Every pick counts.
Someone said Martin gave Richmond gave 3 flags.
Maybe one in 2020. That performance was a rarity when one guy plays such a good game that it’s the difference.
It’s about system particularly when the opposition don’t have the ball.

Both Hardwick and Goodwin have endured hard times haven’t been sacked. It takes time to develop a system that stands up to pressure of finals. Sack a coach prematurely and you start all over again. You must have stability.
It’s not about just getting a few star players and it will just happen.
There is so much more to it.
That’s the modern game

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next