Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:35 am 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Tackling and physicality.
Quicker ball movement.
Good to finally win by a good margin. Plus good spread of goalkickers.
Loved what the coach said afterwards about how they were 'great teammates to each other' on the night. Fantastic reinforcement about the importance of team football.
Harry, Cripps, Cerra, Saad, Martin and Docherty.
Thought Fisher was really damaging.
Young looks better by the week.
De Koning competed hard. Same with SOJ.
LOB was pretty good.
More impact this week from Owies and Durdin.
Great debut from Carroll. Looks really good around the ball.

Cons:

Umpiring was awful. Especially Eleni. Harry was robbed of 2 contested marks right in front of goals.
Still struggling to move the ball out of defence.
Again we allowed Stevenson to play on his own terms.
Weiters is struggling.
I suspect with Carroll's showing that means Dow's chance at Carlton is gone. Can't see him getting midfield time ahead of Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy or Carroll.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:36 am 
Bruce Doull

MVP Voting: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37477

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

TheDenominator wrote:
kezza wrote:
What was the incident with Young?
I don't remember seeing anything.

It was a bump. I thought he just stood his ground and braced for contact and North player ran into him

He split Aldi Archer up the middle. I almost preferred it to the Stocker one.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:11 am 
Ken Hunter

glad I went though I was as nervous as @#$%&!! The thing that struck me was this was the first time I can remember for a while where we a=were thre harder side. Our tackling, our desire for contact, our bumps! Finally we have a side here that has a fair crack at it!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:15 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Just on Eleni, gender is a factor if she is being selected because of it

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:16 am 
Ken Hunter

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Tackling and physicality.
Quicker ball movement.
Good to finally win by a good margin. Plus good spread of goalkickers.
Loved what the coach said afterwards about how they were 'great teammates to each other' on the night. Fantastic reinforcement about the importance of team football.
Harry, Cripps, Cerra, Saad, Martin and Docherty.
Thought Fisher was really damaging.
Young looks better by the week.
De Koning competed hard. Same with SOJ.
LOB was pretty good.
More impact this week from Owies and Durdin.
Great debut from Carroll. Looks really good around the ball.

Cons:

Umpiring was awful. Especially Eleni. Harry was robbed of 2 contested marks right in front of goals.
Still struggling to move the ball out of defence.
Again we allowed Stevenson to play on his own terms.
Weiters is struggling.
I suspect with Carroll's showing that means Dow's chance at Carlton is gone. Can't see him getting midfield time ahead of Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy or Carroll.

Perfectly said. Can't add much more. :donk:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not something that generally bothers me but the ‘Carlton hate’ by Gerard Healy and Jordan Lewis in the commentary was a disgrace.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:25 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:

We don’t know if that’s the case. What we do know for sure is that she is one of a number of average umpires in the AFL.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:26 am 
Bob Chitty

Lucky wrote:
Great win. I really hate norf so to kick 'em while they are down is nice. The umpiring was horrible and Eleni is the worst. How can she obstruct a player leading to a turnover and the other dumb f#$( umpires not call a ball up? I hope Stocker is not out for long he was good tonight. I can't really point at any one player tonight and say they had a bad game. Well done lads! I hope it continues.

All three umpires were poor and obviously she is easier to notice when she makes a mistake: which is often. But that incident was ridiculous that no one stopped the play.
I watched her for a while after that - and she got hit pretty hard - and no one, including any other umpire, trainer or player went to her to check she was ok, even during the next reset after a goal.
Hard not to interpret that as her being held in low regard, including by her peers.
She is most likely rattled by the whole experience which is unlikely to improve her decision making.
I'm not sure she can ever become a really good umpire but it would be great if she did.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:58 am 
Craig Bradley

MPH78 wrote:
Not something that generally bothers me but the ‘Carlton hate’ by Gerard Healy and Jordan Lewis in the commentary was a disgrace.

Yeah I found the barracking irritating too.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:11 am 
Bob Chitty

Good, professional win against a struggling team. 4 points and pushes percentage up nearly 10.
Saad and Doc great off half back
Young’s game was a huge positive
Midfield was very good again - Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy
H and Charlie did more than enough up forward
Owies and Durdin much better pressure this week
Carroll looks like a real player
Ripper crowd in
Bank the 4 points and go again next week vs Adelaide

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Im glad a couple of u have made mention of Eleni. She had a horrific umpiring game. Just horrendous. Im all for equal opportunity and all that, but if ur going to give a woman a go at umpiring at the top level, then FFS, make sure they have earnt it and actually know how to umpire!

Let’s leave gender out of it - she’s just not a very good umpire. There’s bad male umpires too.

Agreed. It certainly wasn't my intention to make it a "gender" thing. However, the criticism I made - Ill stand by it, regardless of gender. Yes, there are "male" umpires who are bad as well and I will (and have) called them out for it too...

It is a "gender thing" because like most organisations, the AFL are on a crusade of inclusion and affirmative action. Therefore opportunities are being offered to readdress the imbalance that has existed due to previous male bias. But the initiative should be to increase the pool. It's a great idea to create a pathway into umpiring for everyone. Especially any who are disadvantaged or have been subjected to obstructions into previously male dominated domains.

But when it comes to the elite level (AFL games), pick the best umpires from the pool. Don't sacrifice standards. The IMHO, the AFL is doing that to create role models at the expense of elite performance.
I admire Eleni but at the moment, she is a VFL or NAB league umpire.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

8 goal win was the minimum- North are crap and if Plowman is selling candy then I believe we’re living in a Multiverse.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Loved Matthew Kennedy's game.
Obviously he's carrying a niggle and the week off was a huge bonus for him but he just brings effort and toughness every week.
He "only" had 24 possessions but 11 clearances (more than anyone on the ground), 7 centre clearances (next best was 4) demonstrates how much we missed him last week and what a significant role he plays for the team. Combined with his underrated ball use and his marking, he's a huge asset to our midfield. The other players will get the votes but his contribution is as good as most.

Credit also to a couple of other players. Young is getting better every game, Keogh's mate Jack Martin was super again and IMHO, Owies and Durdin are enormous value with their chasing and tackling. Several times their chases have been impacting opposition exit kicks of late which takes pressure off our defenders.
Lastly, TDK. I had my doubts but he quelled Goldstein's dominance which greatly assisted our midfield group.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:09 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Im glad a couple of u have made mention of Eleni. She had a horrific umpiring game. Just horrendous. Im all for equal opportunity and all that, but if ur going to give a woman a go at umpiring at the top level, then FFS, make sure they have earnt it and actually know how to umpire!

Let’s leave gender out of it - she’s just not a very good umpire. There’s bad male umpires too.

Agreed. It certainly wasn't my intention to make it a "gender" thing. However, the criticism I made - Ill stand by it, regardless of gender. Yes, there are "male" umpires who are bad as well and I will (and have) called them out for it too...

It is a "gender thing" because like most organisations, the AFL are on a crusade of inclusion and affirmative action. Therefore opportunities are being offered to readdress the imbalance that has existed due to previous male bias. But the initiative should be to increase the pool. It's a great idea to create a pathway into umpiring for everyone. Especially any who are disadvantaged or have been subjected to obstructions into previously male dominated domains.

But when it comes to the elite level (AFL games), pick the best umpires from the pool. Don't sacrifice standards. The IMHO, the AFL is doing that to create role models at the expense of elite performance.
I admire Eleni but at the moment, she is a VFL or NAB league umpire.

But you’re assuming she only gets a game because she’s a woman. We don’t know for sure that’s the case. The talent pool is shallow and she is one of a number of AFL umpires who are not at the standard.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:11 am 
Garry Crane

Blue Vain wrote:
Loved Matthew Kennedy's game.
Obviously he's carrying a niggle and the week off was a huge bonus for him but he just brings effort and toughness every week.
He "only" had 24 possessions but 11 clearances (more than anyone on the ground), 7 centre clearances (next best was 4) demonstrates how much we missed him last week and what a significant role he plays for the team. Combined with his underrated ball use and his marking, he's a huge asset to our midfield. The other players will get the votes but his contribution is as good as most.

Credit also to a couple of other players. Young is getting better every game, Keogh's mate Jack Martin was super again and IMHO, Owies and Durdin are enormous value with their chasing and tackling. Several times their chases have been impacting opposition exit kicks of late which takes pressure off our defenders.
Lastly, TDK. I had my doubts but he quelled Goldstein's dominance which greatly assisted our midfield group.

Great in this area last night - 12 tackles between them and 8 inside 50. Not that it matters who kicks the goals but hopefully this hard work translates to reward on the scoreboard consistently for them

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kingkerna wrote:

She was terrible. Full stop. Period.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Good signs for the kids TDK, Young and Carroll.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CFC8795 wrote:
Four Jacks played today.
Maybe we need some more Kings or Aces.
Go Blues!

Good stat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:16 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

MPH78 wrote:
Wanted to acknowledge the really good games of the whipping boys Plow and LOB. More of that please.

Yep both were good.
I am starting to think they should just play LOB every week now and reassess at the end of the year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next