Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lewis Young as our main ruck for the rest of the year till Pittonet gets back. Not TDK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

cecil89 wrote:
Would like us to try a midfield of Stocker, Dow, Fisher, Cripps, Williams, Cerra, Kemp, Hewett, Walsh, Setterfield, Carroll, Silvagni, Kennedy and, if it’s not too late, SPS.

I agree, every player not currently in the midfield all the time is being ruined by Teague.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Lewis Young as our main ruck for the rest of the year till Pittonet gets back. Not TDK.

Who goes to defence then? TDK?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

cecil89 wrote:
Would like us to try a midfield of Stocker, Dow, Fisher, Cripps, Williams, Cerra, Kemp, Hewett, Walsh, Setterfield, Carroll, Silvagni, Kennedy and, if it’s not too late, SPS.

:eek: We are only allowed 4 in the square at once including the ruck.! :razz:
It would ensure we won the contested possession though. :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Did you see Young in the ruck last week? TDK looked like Simon Madden by comparison.
I'd take JSOS over Young every time. At least he shows some aggression.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Did you see Young in the ruck last week? TDK looked like Simon Madden by comparison.

TDK either jumps over the other bloke and wins the tap, or he gets comprehensively beaten, wasn't much middle ground.
I agree that Young's aggression wasn't quite there, but his size at least made Darcy think about his tactics/having to do more than just run straight through TDK, and I don't think Freo had the same ascendency from the center bounce once they moved him in there.

He's not fantastic, but at the very least - we've got the midfield group that justneeds a guy to simply break even here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:04 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

TDK either jumps over the other bloke and wins the tap, or he gets comprehensively beaten, wasn't much middle ground.
I agree that Young's aggression wasn't quite there, but his size at least made Darcy think about his tactics/having to do more than just run straight through TDK, and I don't think Freo had the same ascendency from the center bounce once they moved him in there.

He's not fantastic, but at the very least - we've got the midfield group that justneeds a guy to simply break even here.

Do you think his lack of aggression had to do with a lack of training/practise in the ruck and therefore wasn't sure what to do ( apart from the obvious of jumping up and tapping the ball to our advantage)?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:14 am 
Harry Vallence

He played plenty there at the Dogs. Think the logic in recruiting him was largely hoping that Jordan Roughead was an awful ruck there and turned into a great KPD, so why not Young too.

I'd advocate for O-Mac to fill this role, but given his ongoing back issues, I can't see it happening. Nor are there better options in the mid-season draft, short term or otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:31 am 
Robert Walls

Given that Parks is now also injured, and McGovern is always going to struggle with his body... and McDonald has back issues... Which leave the only mid-sized defender on our list as Plowman... I'd like to see Kemp spend the next month in defence in the VFL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
Given that Parks is now also injured, and McGovern is always going to struggle with his body... and McDonald has back issues... Which leave the only mid-sized defender on our list as Plowman... I'd like to see Kemp spend the next month in defence in the VFL.

Kemp might be needed forward if Harry is injured.

How far away is OMac?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

I would def try JSOS in McGovern's defensive interceptor role.
He has the footy smarts to get into the right positions, he is hard and brave and will stand in the way of a big leading forward, he is a strong mark, and he can deliver by hand or foot to the right spot in a way that sets up the next play.
And, he has some sort of defensive pedigree :wink: .
He is a perfect swingman who can play forward most of the time, do some time in the middle (think Jobe Watson as well as his ruck role), but also go back to fill in gap (eg. when McGovern is injured) or as a change-up tactic during a game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

17th Premiership wrote:
I would def try JSOS in McGovern's defensive interceptor role.
He has the footy smarts to get into the right positions, he is hard and brave and will stand in the way of a big leading forward, he is a strong mark, and he can deliver by hand or foot to the right spot in a way that sets up the next play.
And, he has some sort of defensive pedigree :wink: .
He is a perfect swingman who can play forward most of the time, do some time in the middle (think Jobe Watson as well as his ruck role), but also go back to fill in gap (eg. when McGovern is injured) or as a change-up tactic during a game.

If he can get his arms above his head, Jack is an ideal stop-gap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

SOJ is doing fine as a forward/2nd ruck. I wouldn’t be moving him back. I reckon Docherty will play that intercept role in the absence of McGovern and Marchbank. When/if OMac returns, he could potentially play an anchor role which would allow Weitering or Young (or Plowman?) to zone off a bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
SOJ is doing fine as a forward/2nd ruck. I wouldn’t be moving him back. I reckon Docherty will play that intercept role in the absence of McGovern and Marchbank. When/if OMac returns, he could potentially play an anchor role which would allow Weitering or Young (or Plowman?) to zone off a bit more.

Agree. SOJ is in career best form playing his current role. Our forward line functions best when he is there. I wouldn't be moving him back either.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:28 am 
Harry Vallence

Nick wrote:
Setterfield in the middle. Walsh / Fisher as the offensive wing, Docherty as the defensive wing. Stocker at half back in Doc's spot.

Like the Williams half forward suggestion too.

In a similar vein, Boyd as a small forward. Fast, pressure is good and hopefully will then give him the confidence to use his skills.
I did like how much space Fisher seemed to have last week, yes against a team near the bottom, but I feel his role in the side could be as a wingman, and not as a half forward.

Bring Doc to the other wing and Williams in Docs spot and all of a sudden Im not too worried about our wings anymore.

Lots to like about our current depth.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
Nick wrote:
Setterfield in the middle. Walsh / Fisher as the offensive wing, Docherty as the defensive wing. Stocker at half back in Doc's spot.

In a similar vein, Boyd as a small forward. Fast, pressure is good and hopefully will then give him the confidence to use his skills.
I did like how much space Fisher seemed to have last week, yes against a team near the bottom, but I feel his role in the side could be as a wingman, and not as a half forward.

Bring Doc to the other wing and Williams in Docs spot and all of a sudden Im not too worried about our wings anymore.

I do love the suggestion, but would prefer at least one tall marking wingman like an Andrew walker or Jarrod Waite....Marchbank is who the club had their eyes on 3 preseasons back before his injuries.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm confused

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
GMCbris wrote:
Nick wrote:

I do love the suggestion, but would prefer at least one tall marking wingman like an Andrew walker or Jarrod Waite....Marchbank is who the club had their eyes on 3 preseasons back before his injuries.

Please not Waite... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:02 am 
Craig Bradley

Let’s try nobody as the 7th defender & use that wing to back up our forward half pressure (we’re ranked 2nd for tackles inside 50) with some intercepts.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Now I'm confused.
The 7th defender is a bench rotation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next