Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:53 am 
Wayne Johnston

I hear that somebody is better than nobody.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
Now I'm confused.
The 7th defender is a bench rotation.

The only time we have a back six is at the resets, otherwise we’re running one of the wings as a spare (albeit closer to the contest than your garden variety loose defender) & using a forward to fill the void in transition.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Now I'm confused.
The 7th defender is a bench rotation.

The only time we have a back six is at the resets, otherwise we’re running one of the wings as a spare (albeit closer to the contest than your garden variety loose defender) & using a forward to fill the void in transition.

I think you're both correct.

At the Dees, both wings play defensive and offensive, but seem to favour one side of the ground from the backline.
Its predictable but such is their form they do well doing that.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We all see it differently. IMHO, we haven't played a winger in defence for ages.
Our narrow side winger takes the defensive side at stoppages and the fat side winger fills the corridor on the defensive side of his opponent.
If we have a spare in defence, it's when the opposition send a forward up to the stoppages. Just like we do.
it's no different to how most teams play their wingers.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's times like these I realise how much of a footy strategies numpty I am :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
We all see it differently. IMHO, we haven't played a winger in defence for ages.
Our narrow side winger takes the defensive side at stoppages and the fat side winger fills the corridor on the defensive side of his opponent.
If we have a spare in defence, it's when the opposition send a forward up to the stoppages. Just like we do.

This is the way I’m seeing it, and it’s how the wings have been drawn up since Adam was in short pants. What I’m saying though, is that the fella on the short side hasn’t been crossing half way - maybe 30% at most.

I’ve posted waaaay too much info on our forward pressure, but the underlying construct is that the forward group are doing a pretty good job, and are built to capitalise on fast entries. But, if they work to hurry a rebound, they need support at the next level to intercept and bang it straight back in. Currently, we’re conceding the space between the arcs as if by design.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
It's times like these I realise how much of a footy strategies numpty I am :lol:

As BV said, we all see it differently... :smile:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Kreuzer - Ruck Coach to Second ruck/resting ruck. Wish he would could bring back to throw him into the middle with Cripps and the forward line with Cripps, McKay and Charlie. The one former number one pick I really miss.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

You're just interested in silverware.
Power to you.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

This is the way I’m seeing it, and it’s how the wings have been drawn up since Adam was in short pants. What I’m saying though, is that the fella on the short side hasn’t been crossing half way - maybe 30% at most.

I’ve posted waaaay too much info on our forward pressure, but the underlying construct is that the forward group are doing a pretty good job, and are built to capitalise on fast entries. But, if they work to hurry a rebound, they need support at the next level to intercept and bang it straight back in. Currently, we’re conceding the space between the arcs as if by design.

Great stuff you two.

What about that 7th Defender? Is he on the bench to rotate for match ups or rests? I think he is.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:05 am 
Bruce Doull

Ya know….

when McGluvin and O’Mac are back…
it’d be nice to see young Lewis Young move
up the wing a little…!

bit like Harry does now…!

young Lewis Young has the marking…and
the kicking down pat…fitness i guess is
the is-ewwwe…but hey…Richo nearly won
a Brownlow on the wing…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:09 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

tommi wrote:
Ya know….

up the wing a little…!

a Brownlow on the wing…!

kindest regards tommi

What a fascinating idea Tommi.

I'm a huge fan of the marking linkman, I mean wingman.
Food for thought and apt for this thread.

I'm not confused

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 am 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
tommi wrote:
Ya know….

up the wing a little…!

a Brownlow on the wing…!

kindest regards tommi

What a fascinating idea Tommi.

I'm a huge fan of the marking linkman, I mean wingman.
Food for thought and apt for this thread.

I'm not confused

Richo had a pretty big tank IIRC.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:40 am 
Bruce Doull

Here the birth from an unbroken line
Born the healer, the seventh, his time
Unknowingly blessed and as his life unfolds
Slowly unveiling the power he holds
Ohhhh!

Seventh defender of a seventh defender

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:21 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Ohhhh!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great stuff you two.

What about that 7th Defender? Is he on the bench to rotate for match ups or rests? I think he is.

7th defender is a resting rotation. Usually for the running defenders.
It's not unusual for our tall defenders to play 100% game time unless they cop a knock.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great stuff you two.

Agree. The TOG numbers back that up too.

It's not unusual for our tall defenders to play 100% game time unless they cop a knock.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:39 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great stuff you two.

So, if we tell them not to run so much we only need six?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sinbagger wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Great stuff you two.

So, if we tell them not to run so much we only need six?

:lol:
It will be a common message because we usually have a 7th forward and extra mid on the bench as well.
A few weeks ago we ran a 3 man wing rotation off the bench. It depends on the opposition, form and who is available I suspect.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Ohhhh!

Iron Roger Hayden

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next