Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:36 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Martin was far from our worst.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:
Lots of talk about the small forwards struggling. Only had 38 inside 50s to 56. Pretty even clearance battle.

Big numbers for the midfielders but didn't connect well enough to get it inside 50.

Freo not put under enough pressure when they had the ball. On the other hand Freo made life difficult for Carlton.

The clearance one wood is excellent but beyond that pretty average.
Good summary....
No answer to the run they had and couldn't do enough with our clearances....
Pitto (SOJ, even Harry) threw us out totally...
Not our night.... Hope Pitto is not too bad...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
That folks is where we are at
We have so many overpaid overrated players
Not much has changed from last year
Jack Martin lovers
Eat your words
Lachie Schultz pick 57 showed how to be proactive on the forward flank
Hope Carroll Philp Dow Motlop and Honey come on
We need them to

Jack Martin was nowhere near the issue tonight. He should have finished with 3 goals, however played his role. How can you pick him out amongst others?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Just back from the game. To say I’m bitterly disappointed would be an understatement. Terribly humbling to see how far off we still are from being a good team.

We have way too many passengers and very little system and structure. If we don’t dominate clearances and stoppages, we don’t look like scoring. We can’t transition out of D50 with any effective method and are too easy to play against. Freo transitioned the ball basically at will and with no resistance from us.

It was really stark how much more structured and well drilled they were compared to us.

So many players made my blood boil tonight. Way too many gave us @#$%&! all and/or made putrid, putrid mistakes. Unforgivable.

Plenty to work on. Plenty.

Need to add some speed to our midfield.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

GreatEx wrote:
bender wrote:
we have only won 9 quarters this year, we have been lucky to be winning. this was a reality check

I don't like this attitude that we've been lucky to win games, no doubt someone will say "we easily could've been 0-6!" To blow a big lead you have to be good enough to get a big lead in the first place. And against both Hawthorn and Port we'd blown the lead by midway through the final quarter but showed enough character and composure to reverse the tide. We need to give credit where it's due, we're 4-2 because we've won 4 games fair and square, didn't turn up for one, and had our weaknesses brutally exploited in the other.

yeah, perhaps i could have phrased it better GE, but my point is we have won those when we blew big leads, so i think this winning has actually masked some deficiencies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 am 
Bruce Doull

MPH78 wrote:
Just back from the game. To say I’m bitterly disappointed would be an understatement. Terribly humbling to see how far off we still are from being a good team.

We have way too many passengers and very little system and structure. If we don’t dominate clearances and stoppages, we don’t look like scoring. We can’t transition out of D50 with any effective method and are too easy to play against. Freo transitioned the ball basically at will and with no resistance from us.

It was really stark how much more structured and well drilled they were compared to us.

So many players made my blood boil tonight. Way too many gave us @#$%&! all and/or made putrid, putrid mistakes. Unforgivable.

Plenty to work on. Plenty.

Need to add some speed to our midfield.

Yep, this.

I should have stayed under my Covid blanket.

I reckon i put in more effort getting to the stadium than some of the players did tonight.

We really are centre clearance or nothing, no targets and/or nobody presenting on the wings to receive an easy kick from D50 and if we manage to scrap it to the wing or half forward its just bomb long to a pack.

When the other team has the ball, especially off a turnover, we just jog .... and to nowhere..... sure as hell doesn't look like a structured plan at all.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:15 am 
Bruce Doull

Yikes. When you put it like that it sounds like Teague days, but with better centre clearances.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:15 am 
Garry Crane

how we pick parks and Boyd in the same team has got me stumped. Both juniors who didn’t make the first cut in respective drafts. They may well make it but we are not a good enough side to carry them both currently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:22 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
Yikes. When you put it like that it sounds like Teague days, but with better centre clearances.

It felt like it.

I left there wondering how we have won 4 games.

We can't have been that bad all season, first game i have seen live this year obviously.

Sat directly behind our bench.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:56 am 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
Team depth stretched .
We need the best players available and fit.
Pitto Kennedy JSOS McGovern MacDonald

To many better players missing.
Newes Cotrell Parks Young TDK Fisher fringe

Martin Owies Durdin quiet

Walsh 30 odd nothing touches

Cripps is in red hot form

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Young??

He was one of the shining lights tonight. Big future for this kid!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:01 am 
Robert Walls

GreatEx wrote:
keogh wrote:
Jack Martin lovers
Eat your words

What is wrong with you? You seem more interested in being right than seeing the team succeed. Just do one you moaning flower.

Yeah, it is painful isn't it?

3 things are a certainty in life - death, taxes, and keogh having a whinge and an "I told you so" moment after every, single, loss....

Martin was actually pretty good tonight. Should have had 3.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:02 am 
Trevor Keogh

Bar a few shining lights, most of our players have very little intent with their tackling. I'd have a tackling coach from League or Union join us in the offseason - it boggles my mind how easily AFL players overcommit or get stepped around with ease. Watch the @#$%&! hips - not the arms or legs.

Fisher has dropped off the pace at rate of knots. I recall BV predicting that with a big of luck with injuries he could be AA as a half forward/forward (2021?). What a fall from grace.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:12 am 
Rod Ashman

Firstly, it shits me that so many have the view that once Pitto went down, the game was over.
There is no single player that can have that effect on their own. We lost the ruck but we’re ok in the clearances.

Secondly, the no.1 problem I would focus on is transition: improving ours and limiting the opposition. This feels like a big challenge for Voss and is where the best strategic coaches do their best work. I’d put Longmuir in that category and also think Sam Mitchell is that type as well. Voss strength IMO is more about contest footy and attitude.

On Harry, yes he clearly dropped his bundle a few times (as did others when they didn’t win the ball and just watched often on their knees while Freo waltzed away with the ball). On some occasions, Harry should have got a free like others had during the match eg. For chopped arms.

Anyway,sadly I thought we were ahead of Freo and also St Kilda. But we,re clearly not. The Saints beat Freo at home convincingly and went on to smash the Hawks. We’re a 6-10 team. 6 if we can bring our best more often and for longer, 10 if we just play well in bursts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:50 am 
Bruce Doull

17th Premiership wrote:
Firstly, it shits me that so many have the view that once Pitto went down, the game was over.
There is no single player that can have that effect on their own. We lost the ruck but we’re ok in the clearances.

Fair enough. The Saints lost both their rucks & still beat GWS I guess (the Giants were pathetic though)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

My mommy could tackle harder than half our blokes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:12 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Only positive is Voss will have learnt about the players. He knows what is required and will turn players over until he finds players with the right mental fortitude. I just hope we have some.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

At 4-2 we are tracking for 14 wins
I will take that in a heart beat.
If we finish with more wins than losses this year I will be happy.

We know we need the best fit and firing and Pitto is a pivotal part of that equation.
We were in front when he went down.

The AFL should write a please explain to the stadium as that playing surface looked dangerous. It reminds me of Marvel a few years back before they got their act together.
The area to the left hand side of the screen 30 to 40 meters in front of goal was ridiculous players were slipping and sliding everywhere

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:14 am 
Ken Hunter

17th Premiership wrote:

Secondly, the no.1 problem I would focus on is transition: improving ours and limiting the opposition. This feels like a big challenge for Voss and is where the best strategic coaches do their best work. I’d put Longmuir in that category and also think Sam Mitchell is that type as well. Voss strength IMO is more about contest footy and attitude.

On Harry, yes he clearly dropped his bundle a few times (as did others when they didn’t win the ball and just watched often on their knees while Freo waltzed away with the ball). On some occasions, Harry should have got a free like others had during the match eg. For chopped arms.

Anyway,sadly I thought we were ahead of Freo and also St Kilda. But we,re clearly not. The Saints beat Freo at home convincingly and went on to smash the Hawks. We’re a 6-10 team. 6 if we can bring our best more often and for longer, 10 if we just play well in bursts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. Agree with all this. Pitto would have helped but we let ourselves down in so many other areas. And I think people aren't giving Freo enough credit - they're a good side

Transition is one of our biggest problems. Teams just toss us aside and we can't do anywhere near the same.
It's been like this for a long time too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:21 am 
Ken Hunter

injuries undoubtably hurt
having a few players that are just so so players, no real speed, not great kicks, can't mark etc hurt us
but for me its what we're doing (or not doing) when they win the ball, they ran hard we did not. I thought their pressure was terrific which meant we rushed and bombed a lot.

Martin copped a huge knee to the ribs

Time to try Stocker, Carrol, Philip, Kemp - not all at once but start bringing them in and see if we can elevate the bottom six to AFL standard

And like others, I don;t think we can play Fish, Owies and Durdin in the same side. Choose 2 and then give us SOS back in the forward 50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:46 am 
Bob Chitty

The offensive and defensive transition (or lack of) is a good point raised by many.
Defensively, we let Freo walk through us on two many occasions. Inability to defend the corridor but also Freo to their credit had some dare about them and were willing to move the ball quickly.
Offensively, we were completely stagnant when we had the ball in our defensive 50. Chips backwards and sideways that ultimately resulted in long bombs. No sustained ability to use the corridor. We’ve got Saad, Williams, Doc and Newman who are all more offensive types yet we couldn’t generate any run off half back. For what if’s worth, thought Saad was good and Doc solid enough but this quarteret should be one of the better group of running defenders from an offensive standpoint.
Really
Disappointing evening in many regards but the inability to score, except from direct stoppage dominance, is a real concern.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next