Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am 
Garry Crane

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Here's the deal

Keogh expects every single trade to be a success or the club is a disaster.

Singling out Saad is bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I missed that criticism. Yep bizarre.

I thought Saad and Williams are the only 2 who put the burners on and give us some creativity, week in week out.

I don't understand any of the negativity around Saad. I've watched him live and sure he loves to attack but there is this misconception that he doesn't defend. The guy is a phenomenal defender one on one. His ability to get a hand in, or even a toe and then some how get himself out of congestion is incredible. Least of our issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:27 am 
Harry Vallence

Saad has been very good IMO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:43 am 
Garry Crane

Blue Vain wrote:
Don't buy into the bullshit negativity of Keogh. He dropped a @#$%&! chest mark. At least he tried to make things happen and he generally did.

I also understand the frustration with the Williams turnover but I give him credit for having the guts to take the kick.

I’m with Keogh. Not negative at all - just a realist.

And re: Williams’ kick out, would you be saying that if it was a goal the difference with 1 min to play? It was a bad option.

Same with Martin missing at a crucial stage only to see the ball rebound for a goal. These guys are on huge bikkies. Sick and tired of excuses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:45 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Here's the deal

I thought Saad and Williams are the only 2 who put the burners on and give us some creativity, week in week out.

Ask yourself what impact do they have on the result.
They both play as loose defenders
Why not try Saad further up the ground where we can use his pace to pressure. It’s sadly lacking in our game. Saad has played one position his whole career
On $650000 for 5 years and a first pick he needs to be more versatile
Williams had the most ineffective 36 possessions against GC
He has been tryed up the ground and no good.
Add Docherty as the third small defender.
They don’t impact the game enough.
I repeat we won’t take the next step unless we become better as a team when the opposition has the ball in space. Not just when the ball is in our defensive half
Saad and Williams should be at their peak in their footy careers

As you guys know I have had a problem with our overall recruiting strategy since 2018 when we gave up the farm for Setterfield and McGovern

It’s a general thought I have

Not that I expect every trade to be a success
The Brad Hill trade is ridiculous and he is only playing well because the team has improved overall

But overall the Saints and the Dockers have really got some gold with some late and rookie picks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 am 
Geoff Southby

I thought after the 2nd half of the Port game that we’d lose to Freo and they would kill the Eagles.

Like many have said here too much is left to too few and there is still a fair bit of shuffling through the list to get us where we want to be. Need better options or mass improvement to our wings and small forwards, and ruck depth (though TDK I thought battled well last night).

The difference to last year is we have more midfield depth, a fit Cripps and Charlie up forward, but we are still a mid-table side which can trouble the best when we are on, and lose to pretty much anyone when we aren’t.

So yes we are better than last year, but not suddenly a top 4 side, aim should still just be to make the 8. Don’t go pencilling in the north and Adelaide games either, I think we will drop one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:12 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I think those dismissing the impact of Pitto being injured because “he is just a ruck” miss the importance that he COMPETES all day just like JSOS. The impact wasn’t loosing a ruckman, the impact was losing a player who is a competitor when we don’t have many.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Here's the deal

Ask yourself what impact do they have on the result.
They both play as loose defenders
Why not try Saad further up the ground where we can use his pace to pressure. It’s sadly lacking in our game. Saad has played one position his whole career
On $650000 for 5 years and a first pick he needs to be more versatile
Williams had the most ineffective 36 possessions against GC
He has been tryed up the ground and no good.
Add Docherty as the third small defender.
They don’t impact the game enough.
I repeat we won’t take the next step unless we become better as a team when the opposition has the ball in space. Not just when the ball is in our defensive half
Saad and Williams should be at their peak in their footy careers

As you guys know I have had a problem with our overall recruiting strategy since 2018 when we gave up the farm for Setterfield and McGovern

It’s a general thought I have

Not that I expect every trade to be a success
The Brad Hill trade is ridiculous and he is only playing well because the team has improved overall

But overall the Saints and the Dockers have really got some gold with some late and rookie picks
Ah so Saad isn't crap we just need two of him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
We lost to the team that is second on the ladder after losing our ruckman in the first quarter, Silvagni and Kennedy out of the side injured and Harry dragging his bottom lip.
I know one player shouldn't make a big difference but it does. At the moment our game is built around clearances. It's what gets us territory and scores. Once Pittonet went down, we lost our area of potential dominance.

As for Jack Martin, he kicked and/or set up 3 of our first 4 or 5 goals. Kicked one, handball to a player for another and kicked the ball to the 3rd. At least Martin competes and makes things happen. Most of our forwards couldn't make a mistake because they didn't get near the ball.
Don't buy into the bullshit negativity of Keogh. He dropped a @#$%&! chest mark. At least he tried to make things happen and he generally did.

I also understand the frustration with the Williams turnover but I give him credit for having the guts to take the kick.
We're 3-4 goals down with 10 minutes to play. Would you rather he take the long bail out kick that comes straight back? We had to take risks and he took one. Yes it was a disappointing outcome but give me that courage over risk free bullshit 50 metre bail out kicks to their ruckman everytime.
Not often I say this

I agree with you BV

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
We lost to the team that is second on the ladder after losing our ruckman in the first quarter, Silvagni and Kennedy out of the side injured and Harry dragging his bottom lip.
I know one player shouldn't make a big difference but it does. At the moment our game is built around clearances. It's what gets us territory and scores. Once Pittonet went down, we lost our area of potential dominance.

As for Jack Martin, he kicked and/or set up 3 of our first 4 or 5 goals. Kicked one, handball to a player for another and kicked the ball to the 3rd. At least Martin competes and makes things happen. Most of our forwards couldn't make a mistake because they didn't get near the ball.

We're 3-4 goals down with 10 minutes to play. Would you rather he take the long bail out kick that comes straight back? We had to take risks and he took one. Yes it was a disappointing outcome but give me that courage over risk free bullshit 50 metre bail out kicks to their ruckman everytime.

Yep.
Our kicking out of defence needs a plan, A, B, C, D...........
And I'd much prefer they take risks to hit up players than the long kicks down the line, it is too predictable and it hasn't worked for us.
The only success we have is when either Curnow or McKay come down the ground to contest, leaving the forward 50 empty with no real targets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:05 pm 
Horrie Clover

Navy One wrote:
Can we stick a f@@rkin tackle?

Setters, Fish, Owies ..... times up
There's another 3 or 4 who aren't too far behind.

Definitely agree as far as Fish and Owies are concerned, their output has been minimal at best, can somebody tell Jack Martin that he doesn’t have to try and take mark of the year at every marking contest and that his job is to wait for the ball to hit the deck when the big blokes are going up

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:09 pm 
Horrie Clover

kingkerna wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Once Pittonet went down it was always going to be an uphill battle. Good that Charlie evened the score (if a little late). Two things I noted were that when our F50 entries were shallow we struggled to score and they were able to run the ball out easily and many times I could not see a small forward anywhere on the screen. I think the presence of 3 smalls in Fisher, Owies and Durdin is too many as they can't compete in the air which reduces options going forward . I am looking forward to one or both of Honey and Cunningham returning
Good post.

Am I the only one the has questions over Harry's commitment?

Walsh works through injuries, Harry sooks it up. Tonight wasn't the first time.

Of course we have other worries of greater importance. We lost this at the selection table. Newnes, Cottrell, Setters in particular.

Still I'm not panicking like some, Freo are a good team, particularly on their home deck.

Pitto going down was massive. We learn and move on.

I’m still trying to work out why LOB got dropped for Cottrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Don’t get the criticism of Saad. Been very good imho. Least of our problems.

Still flat with last night but now more worried and sweating on the Pitto and Harry injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:12 pm 
Horrie Clover

missnaut wrote:
When you lose one of your most important players so early it does unsettle the side and structure and of course no JSOS was just salt in the wound.

(can we just get a @#$%&! half decent injury run though, @#$%&!).

I still think we would have lost even if Pittonet played as Freo are a good side and their strengths are our weaknesses.

I think the hard thing tonight was our bottom 6 was more like a bottom 8-10 and they were all just fairly shithouse.

Whats with the ground there? Players fell over all night and skidded along like it was sand.

The ground actually does have a decent sand base in it, just like the WACA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:16 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Obrien isn't the answer.
He is useless and not AFL standard.
Carroll needs to come in and play that wing roll or Williamson.
We keep moving the deck chairs with Newnes and Obrien, both aren't up to it.
Move on and try something new coz what's the definition of insanity????

Rotate Cerra , Walsh and Hewett on a wing and the other wing role should be Williamson or Carroll.
The time has come enough is enough

Moving the deck chairs is exactly what will happen if williamson is recalled
He's been tried and found out.

Have you watched Willo in the VFL?
He had 3 good touches in 4th Qtr, but the previous 7 Qtrs have not been VFL standard.
Please, not Williamson.
We need smart players

Carroll looked great yesterday, but he was average against the Tigers last week.
Need to bring players in when they have strung a few good games in a row, otherwise its just more of moving deck chairs.

The issue is our top 6 AFL listed players in the VFL are not better than our bottom 6.

LOB and Carroll would be our best 2 to consider

Stocker, Phip, Kemp, Dow, Williamson Fogarty are nowhere near it...and Akuei can't get his hands on the ball.

Works both ways bondi...we need to drop players when they've played poorly over a period...I don't buy the "gifting" of games narrative. I would tell a reserves player, "look, your form in the VFL hasn't been great but we need to make some changes in the seniors. Think of this as an opportunity to show us what you have. Grasp the opportunity and you may never look back"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:21 pm 
Horrie Clover

99prelim wrote:
LOB unlucky to be dropped
Fisher, Owies, Setterfield lucky to not have been dropped
Dow unlucky to not be given a game this year
Newnes and Cottrel were NEVER the answer, regardless of their VFL form
Boyd...what can I say!!

I DGAF about players in the ressies having to earn their spot in the seniors. While that is a default position, I DoGAF about players in the seniors who are continuously playing poor football and not being dropped

I agree regarding LOB, Fisher, Owies and Dow, I was horrified last week when Newnes and Cottrel were named, although statistically Cottrel’s game was OK, but Newnes to me that was a massive step backwards I would much rather LOB kept his spot, bring Dow in to rotate through the midfield and see how he goes, we’ve go a few missing and are just going to have to deal with it, we could be poor bloody West Coast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

anyhow , been good reading . Lot of you guys know your onions . Pretty clear our lesser players are the problem . Bottom 6 . Just think we need to bring blokes from the magoo's in and give ' em a go . Not all at once but one or two every week . You'll never know unless you try . ..............keep posting away boys coz i find it fascinating reading .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Here's the deal

I would ad Docherty. Busts a gut to run, carry, provide options to be creative

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Obrien isn't the answer.
He is useless and not AFL standard.
Carroll needs to come in and play that wing roll or Williamson.
We keep moving the deck chairs with Newnes and Obrien, both aren't up to it.
Move on and try something new coz what's the definition of insanity????

Rotate Cerra , Walsh and Hewett on a wing and the other wing role should be Williamson or Carroll.
The time has come enough is enough

Moving the deck chairs is exactly what will happen if williamson is recalled
He's been tried and found out.

Have you watched Willo in the VFL?
He had 3 good touches in 4th Qtr, but the previous 7 Qtrs have not been VFL standard.
Please, not Williamson.
We need smart players

Carroll looked great yesterday, but he was average against the Tigers last week.
Need to bring players in when they have strung a few good games in a row, otherwise its just more of moving deck chairs.

The issue is our top 6 AFL listed players in the VFL are not better than our bottom 6.

LOB and Carroll would be our best 2 to consider

Stocker, Phip, Kemp, Dow, Williamson Fogarty are nowhere near it...and Akuei can't get his hands on the ball.

Works both ways bondi...we need to drop players when they've played poorly over a period...I don't buy the "gifting" of games narrative. I would tell a reserves player, "look, your form in the VFL hasn't been great but we need to make some changes in the seniors. Think of this as an opportunity to show us what you have. Grasp the opportunity and you may never look back"[/quote]

How does that work? An average player in the VFL gets gifted a game because the current incumbent in the AFL side has been average. :screwy:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

sammywaslow wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

And re: Williams’ kick out, would you be saying that if it was a goal the difference with 1 min to play? It was a bad option.

Same with Martin missing at a crucial stage only to see the ball rebound for a goal. These guys are on huge bikkies. Sick and tired of excuses.

But all players make mistakes Singling out one or two from the whole game from a single player with no balanced perspective by comparing the positives is just pure negativity in anyones language and the continual references to supposed salaries is irrelevant yet it is used in an effort to somehow support his point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
sammywaslow wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

But all players make mistakes Singling out one or two from the whole game from a single player with no balanced perspective by comparing the positives is just pure negativity in anyones language and the continual references to supposed salaries is irrelevant yet it is used in an effort to somehow support his point.

keogh effectively has written them off from day 1...and yes your correct to suggest there's an unhealthy agenda with the attacks on Williams and saad.

and if there was only 1 minute to play, unless the seas part, which isn't going to happen, absolutely risks need to be taken to get the ball to the other side of the ground AND have a shot at goal. What other way is there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next