Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

R6: Fremantle Vs Carlton (Post match discussion)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our bottom 6 players aren't good enough - simple as that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:27 pm 
formerly Fevola

Nothing from Setterfield, Boyd, Williams, Newman, Fisher, Durdin, Cottrel, Parks, Owies, Newnes, McKay - What do you expect. Docherty was off tonight too, didnt look right. Pittonet threw the structure out. DeKoning was ok around the ground, but he just cannot ruck at the moment - Too skinny.

This team - I dont know anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:27 pm 
Bob Chitty

Not good enough tonight. A reality check. Percentage tells a better story than the win-loss record at the moment. We’re a mid table side at the moment but have fallen over the line twice to make the win-loss record look strong.
Bottom 6 is a problem at the moment.
Pittonwt injury hurts. The JSOS out hurt as we lost our hit up option.
Midfield was solid but ultimately we lost the territory battle and had no way to work our way from defensive 50 to forward 50. Too many chips backwards and sideways and then long bombs down the line to outnumbers.
Tough night for H and Charlie but expected if we can only muster 38 inside 50s.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Humpers wrote:
Our bottom 6 players aren't good enough - simple as that.

Yeah , so we just keep turning over blokes out of the magi's till we find a couple .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Can we stick a f@@rkin tackle?

Setters, Fish, Owies ..... times up
There's another 3 or 4 who aren't too far behind.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

We won just the one (1st) quarter and it wasn't even a good one.
Can't win games like this.
Our kick out from D50 is our weakness, weather it's players or tactics it needs to be changed.
Repeated entires kills an already weak defence.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

We fought and kept fighting despite the enivitble loss . Nah , it was bearable . We have to keep turning over our bottom 6 . They just keep letting us down despite the valiant efforts of our better players .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:34 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Setters is just a bad football player. Makes stupid decisions, fumbles a lot, misses targets and just can't seem to process the game adequately at the AFL level. Worst player on the field, but there's a log jam of players not far behind.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Once Pittonet went down it was always going to be an uphill battle. Good that Charlie evened the score (if a little late). Two things I noted were that when our F50 entries were shallow we struggled to score and they were able to run the ball out easily and many times I could not see a small forward anywhere on the screen. I think the presence of 3 smalls in Fisher, Owies and Durdin is too many as they can't compete in the air which reduces options going forward . I am looking forward to one or both of Honey and Cunningham returning

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Forward line was dysfunctional. Harry dropped his lip cos he got a niggle and a tough opponent. Charlie well held. The smalls did very little. Martin his usual couple of nice things without impacting. Owies and Durdin have us nothing. Missed JSOS. Mind you the forward entries were again completely uncreative and were more often than not just bang it in long and hope for the best.

We're incredibly 1 paced. Desperately need some genuine speed which we really just don't have on the list.

As was spoken about a lot in the match thread, or bottom 6 were deplorable, if not the bottom 8.

Boyd
Setterfield
Fisher
Durdin
Owies
Newnes
Newman
Parks
Cottrell

None of them push for spots in many AFL teams.

Obviously Pittonet going down in the first 10 minutes made a huge difference to the make up of the team. But the problems extended a lot further than the ruck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:37 pm 
Ken Hands

Fishers missed handball when we were streaming forward and Owies dropped mark turned the game.
It’s these little moments that make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Lucky wrote:
Setters is just a bad football player. Makes stupid decisions, fumbles a lot, misses targets and just can't seem to process the game adequately at the AFL level. Worst player on the field, but there's a log jam of players not far behind.

I disagree. there was nothing wrong with his pass to Crippa who kicked the goal. Every player makes mistakes it just that it is more frustrating when we lose. I am certain Setterfield will play next week no matter who is available from the VFL and after this last game I am pretty certain Newnes will also play next week. They are not the reason we lost.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

carntheblues wrote:
Once Pittonet went down it was always going to be an uphill battle. Good that Charlie evened the score (if a little late). Two things I noted were that when our F50 entries were shallow we struggled to score and they were able to run the ball out easily and many times I could not see a small forward anywhere on the screen. I think the presence of 3 smalls in Fisher, Owies and Durdin is too many as they can't compete in the air which reduces options going forward . I am looking forward to one or both of Honey and Cunningham returning
Good post.

Am I the only one the has questions over Harry's commitment?

Walsh works through injuries, Harry sooks it up. Tonight wasn't the first time.

Of course we have other worries of greater importance. We lost this at the selection table. Newnes, Cottrell, Setters in particular.

Still I'm not panicking like some, Freo are a good team, particularly on their home deck.

Pitto going down was massive. We learn and move on.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

The_Cranium wrote:
Forward line was dysfunctional. Harry dropped his lip cos he got a niggle and a tough opponent. Charlie well held. The smalls did very little. Martin his usual couple of nice things without impacting. Owies and Durdin have us nothing. Missed JSOS. Mind you the forward entries were again completely uncreative and were more often than not just bang it in long and hope for the best.

We're incredibly 1 paced. Desperately need some genuine speed which we really just don't have on the list.

As was spoken about a lot in the match thread, or bottom 6 were deplorable, if not the bottom 8.

Boyd
Setterfield
Fisher
Durdin
Owies
Newnes
Newman
Parks
Cottrell

None of them push for spots in many AFL teams.

Obviously Pittonet going down in the first 10 minutes made a huge difference to the make up of the team. But the problems extended a lot further than the ruck

Are you saying Saad is not quick?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:
Not good enough tonight. A reality check. Percentage tells a better story than the win-loss record at the moment. We’re a mid table side at the moment but have fallen over the line twice to make the win-loss record look strong.
Bottom 6 is a problem at the moment.
Pittonwt injury hurts. The JSOS out hurt as we lost our hit up option.
Midfield was solid but ultimately we lost the territory battle and had no way to work our way from defensive 50 to forward 50. Too many chips backwards and sideways and then long bombs down the line to outnumbers.
Tough night for H and Charlie but expected if we can only muster 38 inside 50s.

we have only won 9 quarters this year, we have been lucky to be winning. this was a reality check

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
Lucky wrote:

I disagree. there was nothing wrong with his pass to Crippa who kicked the goal. Every player makes mistakes it just that it is more frustrating when we lose. I am certain Setterfield will play next week no matter who is available from the VFL and after this last game I am pretty certain Newnes will also play next week. They are not the reason we lost.

Slow of leg speed and of football mind and zero intensity both of them. Maybe not the reason we lost but a good part of it. I find them both incredibly frustrating to watch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Is LOB injured? Despite his faults, he offers us speed, endurance and sometimes excellent disposal on the wings. Cottrell and Newnes have the endurance but not much else (I like Newnes, but more as a forward). From what I've seen, LOB offers more in the areas we badly lacked tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 pm 
Harry Vallence

dablues wrote:
Fishers missed handball when we were streaming forward and Owies dropped mark turned the game.
It’s these little moments that make a difference.

Not sure about 2 moments costing them a 6 goal loss.

Think the game was on their terms long before those moments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

kingkerna wrote:

Am I the only one the has questions over Harry's commitment?

Walsh works through injuries, Harry sooks it up. Tonight wasn't the first time.

Nope, I raised it in the match thread (2nd or 3rd quarter) and got nothing but agreement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next