Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

The obvious change is Cripps in for one of Newnes or Cottrell. But I would be omitting Owies as I still feel we need bigger players as lead up forwards rather than Durdin and Owies and Cottrell played HFF/Wing on the weekend and did Okay and showed he can mark the ball. With Cripps back it also enables Walsh to rotate through the wing as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not sure if there is a suitable matchup for Parks - Freo only have two talls up forward (Taberner and Lobb) so maybe he gets replaced by Stocker.
Our odds have fallen in the last 12 hours or so - possibly the good money not expecting Cripps to play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:39 am 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
I’d drop Owies and bring TDK back, play JSOS forward all day.

Cripps for Setterfield

Give Dow a run, maybe have Newnes or Kennedy as the sub.

I never thought I’d say this but I’d rather Plowman then Parkes

Des, Kennedy as the sub?

Matthew Kennedy possibly our most improved player over the last year?

Possibly has a slight drop off in form but still a gun mid.

Kennedy was great in the first three rounds but has struggled in the last two. Dow would give us break away speed from the packs which I think we lack.

Definitely happy for Newnes to be sub, especially if Cripps doesn’t get up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Motlop to travel over?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:56 am 
Geoff Southby

Some of the changes from last week (not all):
Newnes for LOB on wing
Parks for Plowman in backline.
Cottrell on the wing also v Setterfield.

Based on stats this week vs last week:
Newnes, only real upgrade on LOB was he had 3 tackles but pretty much the same output.
Parks, his disposal efficiency was down 18% on Plowman but pretty much the same output.

Based on stats in the same game:
Cottrell, his disposal efficiency was down 14% with less defensive half pressure acts, but pretty much the same output as Setterfield.

So did we really upgrade any of the players/positions from last week?
And should we leave Parks and Newnes in the side for another week to see if they get settled and can improve.

Without looking at Dockers match ups;
I personally don't see Parks as a Plowman upgrade, however I would like to give him at least another week even though the little of the VFL (3rd Q) I seen, Plowman was good.
Or preferably bring in Stocker for Parks, he must be ready now.
Neither Newnes or LOB in the VFL were outstanding in their respective games so no change for me.
Cottrell has earned himself another week even though if it comes to the crunch I'd prefer Setterfield based on a better disposal efficiency and DHPA on the weekend.

If Cripps comes back then I think one of Newnes, Cottrell or Setterfield are at risk.

Not sure what's up with Kennedy but he would still be better than Dow and Dow needs to play this week, so Dow goes to the VFL unless Cripps is still out.
Then I'd swap Cottrell/Newnes for Dow as the sub.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I really believe we have the better list of the 2 teams.

I like our player profile this year with up to 18 25-30 yo's at their prime.
I expect us to play 13 of them this week.

Freo will miss superstar Fyfe to injury
Carlton will miss to injury: McGovern, McDonald, Marchbank, Cuningham and have a gap in our list for Jones.

In other words our backline has 3 missing from our best 22, but we should be able to help them defensively with a full midfield list available. (assume Cripps will return).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:05 am 
Harry Vallence

I think this could be a really great game. I expect it to be close and the side that takes it opportunities wins.

Cripps in for possibly Setterfield? I'd like to see Dow in for his pace and depth through middle.

Cottrell could tag Brayshaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:37 am 
Robert Walls

Freo do best what we defend worst - fast transition and scoring from turnovers.

We need to absolutely monster the clearances/stoppages to get our hands on the ball first or they will run straight through us.

Freo by 5 goals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:

I like the idea of tagging Brayshaw. Brayshaw was dominant in the midfield with his 34 possessions vs Parish & co.

With Cottrell doing the tagging we lose some running power on the wings but we don't lose too much class in doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:29 pm 
Ken Hands

bondiblue wrote:
Carlton will miss to injury: McGovern, McDonald, Marchbank, Cuningham and have a gap in our list for Jones.

In other words our backline has 3 missing from our best 22, but we should be able to help them defensively with a full midfield list available. (assume Cripps will return).

If McGovern, McDonald and Marchbank are playing alongside Weitering in our best 22 that's a pretty tall, immobile backline. I think we have to play at least 3 quick runners (Doc, Saad and Williams), so one of those talls misses from our best 22.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

I like the idea of tagging Brayshaw. Brayshaw was dominant in the midfield with his 34 possessions vs Parish & co.

With Cottrell doing the tagging we lose some running power on the wings but we don't lose too much class in doing so.

I personally wouldn't like to see Cottrell tagging Brayshaw, I'd prefer someone who could do some damage when they've won the ball.
I'd rather see Cerra or Hewett, at least we know they could not only negate him but also deliver the damage.
And if we have no Cripps, bring in Dow as the extra mid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BlueLife wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

If McGovern, McDonald and Marchbank are playing alongside Weitering in our best 22 that's a pretty tall, immobile backline. I think we have to play at least 3 quick runners (Doc, Saad and Williams), so one of those talls misses from our best 22.

Team selections include 7 defenders. They are not all on the ground in defence, but hey, they can be.

This week it was Weitering Young Parks (3 talls), Saad Williams Docherty (smalls) and Newman (7th)

I don't expect Marchbank to be less mobile than he was pre ACL, but if he is, he's going to struggle. If Marchbank is as mobile as before his did his knee, when fit, Gov can continue to be intercept mark, and Marchbank rotates in that role when Gov needs a rest, but Marchbank can also play HBF, wing. He's a very versatile player. Hence the coaches have him on their radar, whilst many supporters have forgotten what Marchbank has to offer.

Think Grimes, also 193, and look at his mobility, speed and verstality to play on tall and small players. Just because hey are 193cm doesn't mean they are not mobile. Gov is 190, and I think Marchbank is much more mobile and versatile than Gov.

Marchbank is a freak athlete. If he doesn't return to the same levels as before, then its Gov as the 3rd tall. Either will do the job well.

At this stage we have got Newman to give the 3rd tall, Gov, or Plow, or parks a chop out. Marchbank would be better cover imo.

Hey, I would take Marchy or Gov as the 3rd tall defender for their intercept ability, and then have a smaller 7th defender.

Last edited by bondiblue on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 pm 
Garry Crane

thinking same about cottrell ,he would be a good tagger ,has strength,speed so he could hurt the opposition going the other way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:18 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Living in hope!

Go Blues :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Listening to weitering interview on website.

....Freo are in the "wait" mode for Carlton this saturday.

Here's our chance to put 4 qtr effort and beat the team 2nd on the ladder.
Lets measure ourselves against them.

Win by a good margin, and everyone will forget the close games and games we've lost huge leads.

This game puts us on the map.

Weiters knows against teams like Hawks "we should have put them to the sword, but didn't".

We are winning games.
We are bringing the pressure.
Add Crippa ...

This is the game our small forwards have to tell the footy world they are dangerous like other teams' small forwards. GOALS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

According to a couple of posters on BF Crippa may not get up anyone heard anything ?

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
According to a couple of posters on BF Crippa may not get up anyone heard anything ?

Probably not the worst thing longer term.
Would love him this week but if he is not ready then give him more time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Can’t imagine a 4 hour flight is what you need with a tight hamstring

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

kezza wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Shit. We’ll have to find another way to not give Dow a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Chapman Young Henry Johnson Blakely
Health and safety protocols

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next