Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:40 pm 
Garry Crane

keogh wrote:
TheDenominator wrote:
17 disposals, 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 8 score involvements
Please give me more overrated games like this one Jack

His first half was excellent
He did nothing in the second half
Guess he wasn’t on his Pat Malone

Pretty sure the 3rd Qtr is part of the second half. He had 9 touches in the 3rd and was heavily involved...just didnt quite work for him but he was busting a gut to make it so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:42 pm 
Geoff Southby

jpulice1969 wrote:
common pattern is that soon as teams start to run and spread we are gone,it is so clear . Watch how many easy goals opposition kick with numbers around the ball ,and yes old carlton long bomb (from def) cost us 4 goals in 3 Q. But the good news it is early into the season so our coaching panel can fix this.

Wingers who can run both ways can help a lot. But where are they.

Cottrell is is meant to have endurance and had a few touches but was useless in this aspect.

Newnes no. Setterfield no.

Stocker, Caroll, Kemp, Philp, Dow, Honey, are all worth a chance.

So we have options that may or may not work but we have options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Watched the 1st half again geez the score could have been so much better.
Newes on the run and set shot misses
Jack two gettable from in front
Harry missed everything from 35 out
Setterfield missed from goal square
Fish in decision

Easily 6 to 7 goals shy of where we should of been despite being 49 points up.

Like the 2's we dominated and should have made more of their chances.
The third quarter in reserves game they were all over tigers and didn't convert.

You ask yourself is it a confidence issue and do they have enough belief in themselves

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:52 pm 
Garry Crane

Sydney Blue wrote:
Fish in decision

The third quarter in reserves game they were all over tigers and didn't convert.

You ask yourself is it a confidence issue and do they have enough belief in themselves

yep, thought we could have been 12 goals up at half time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I’d be keen to hear from others any insight into how Martin & Owies went statless in the last quarter.

Jack put in a big third quarter, getting himself into the action at half back, but (Fisher aside) the crumbers and half forwards were a piss poor group in the second half.

Dead right crusader.

Voss' system seems to be based on hard ball gets, followed by hard running creating and connecting, often creating an overlap for space for measured connection further upfieldd: The Territory game.

It has been reported adnauseum in the media Carlton doesn't have a Turnover Game and along with these Fade outs IMO is a result of not having good runners in the forward line. Thi sis required to create overlap, leads and to take on midfield minutes to keep the intensity up in the coal face.

Martin looked gassed after an amazing couple quarters, and I know he's got 17 more weeks to get Finals fit. Right now he's not fit enough to play that level of intensity for more than 2 quarters, let alone time in the midfield.

Owies went missing and goes missing, and Durdin didn't feature in more than 2 quarters, (he may fade later in the season), but importantly neither offer much to rotate through the midfield.

Fisher can play an outside role in the midfield, so while the big bodied Kennedy going missing for the 2nd week in a row, Hewett (and Cripps when available) need a big body to rotate in midfield to KEEP the intensity UP.

Voss' game plan requires strong and fit bodies.

Walshy has admitted he's nearly match fit after 4 games. There will be pressure for Martin's and Owies spots when Philp, Honey, Carroll, Motlop and Cuningham get up and going in the 2nd half of 2022.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Fish in decision

That Setterfield miss was terrible.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Having read the posts and after 5 rounds it’s becoming clear that Freo are one of the better teams.
As Darcy improves after being injured and a late start their clearence numbers will get better.

It’s obvious that if a team gains an advantage against us in this area we are in a lot of trouble because we don’t work hard enough to reduce space for teams to not slice us up.
Pittonet dominated yesterday. If Lycett had been available it would have been a different result.
Posters once again arn’t looking at the obvious.
Once Port got the clearance dominance we had no answer.
Our percentage is 102 mathematically amazing for a 4-1 win /loss ratio.

Voss needs to address this area pronto.
It was a massive problem last year.

We are still an average team

Wrong again keogh, we have improved massively to be an average team.

You make a good point.

I don't know how keogh can predict the result if Lycett played.

Once we stopped trying and felt we had done all the work needed (a trait from the past imo), Port were allowed to cmme back.

Blues looked incredible in the first half, with or without Pitto, Lycett, jack.
Have to give credit where credit is due. The overlap running was a result of effort and connection. Period.

Pretty easy
Pittonet beat Hayes easy
And JOS beat anyone else. Port had nobody to back Hayes up.
That potentially gave us better first use at stoppages
Once Port started to extract it fron the stoppage they dominated because we are still terrible at protecting space
TDK has to come in this week
JOs won’t get 8 hit outs against Lobb
Darcy is an excellent ruckman
Lose the stoppages and it’s game over for us based on the first 5 rounds

I see your point.

But I keep going back to fitness levels required to play Voss System for 3 and half quarters instead of 2, or 1, to win comfortably.
Hewett Cerra and Walsh can't play those roles with the required level of intensity for 4 quarters. Adding Cripps will help, but Kennedy going missing for 2 weeks hasn't been helpful.

No other players run through the midfield.

That's why Voss needed hard endurance runners who like the physical side of the game in Cottrell and Newnes, like them or not.

Once the intensity dropped, and lets face it Hewett was doing it all himself with walsh...against that preface, then your bit comes in

Quote:
Port started to extract it fron the stoppage they dominated because we are still terrible at protecting space

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:
I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I’d be keen to hear from others any insight into how Martin & Owies went statless in the last quarter.

Jack put in a big third quarter, getting himself into the action at half back, but (Fisher aside) the crumbers and half forwards were a piss poor group in the second half.

Go and watch Jack Martin play live and focus on him. When others are jogging around the field, he sprints up and down the ground creating options, drawing defenders which creates space for his team mates and attacking the ball/player as hard as anyone.
If his body can hold together and he can stay on the park long enough to build his endurance, he'll be great value. I watched him yesterday when he didn't have the footy and couldn't believe his workrate and application.

Owies and Durdin didn't have big games but we still had 16 inside tackles which is very good. It's our connection between half back and half forward that's creating us issues.

I’m firmly entrenched in Martin’s corner. I’ve posted elsewhere about the value of his off ball work and have no doubt that he’s in our best side no matter how you want to look at it.

I’m just wondering where he was in the last quarter. Was he on the bench? I know we were running pretty close to our full quota of rotations in the last quarter… I’ve just got a gut feeling that we have a management issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:
common pattern is that soon as teams start to run and spread we are gone,it is so clear . Watch how many easy goals opposition kick with numbers around the ball ,and yes old carlton long bomb (from def) cost us 4 goals in 3 Q. But the good news it is early into the season so our coaching panel can fix this.

Wingers who can run both ways can help a lot. But where are they.

Cottrell is is meant to have endurance and had a few touches but was useless in this aspect.

Newnes no. Setterfield no.

Stocker, Caroll, Kemp, Philp, Dow, Honey, are all worth a chance.

So we have options that may or may not work but we have options.

We do have options teddy. That's the beauty.
and without them playing we are still getting the 4 points.
They will come on, but none are setting the world on fire in the VFL, yet, well Dow if needed,, or are out injured.

Hate to say it but imo Cottrell-Newnes are better than LOB Setterfield, but we need to move past those guys quickly and find out who can fill the important wing roles imo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Go and watch Jack Martin play live and focus on him. When others are jogging around the field, he sprints up and down the ground creating options, drawing defenders which creates space for his team mates and attacking the ball/player as hard as anyone.
If his body can hold together and he can stay on the park long enough to build his endurance, he'll be great value. I watched him yesterday when he didn't have the footy and couldn't believe his workrate and application.

Owies and Durdin didn't have big games but we still had 16 inside tackles which is very good. It's our connection between half back and half forward that's creating us issues.

I’m firmly entrenched in Martin’s corner. I’ve posted elsewhere about the value of his off ball work and have no doubt that he’s in our best side no matter how you want to look at it.

I’m just wondering where he was in the last quarter. Was he on the bench? I know we were running pretty close to our full quota of rotations in the last quarter… I’ve just got a gut feeling that we have a management issue.

I get it. Good question.

Anyone have the data on Martin's last quarter ToG?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Fish in decision

great post SB.

pressure on spots will be a great incentive to fix that.

Maybe they haven't been taught that "layer" yet, hence the difficulty with the connection between the HB and the HF line.

Lets hope we see that evolve with the team this year.

Its a really exciting prospect to see Carlton playing their scorching best for 4 quarters.

We have 17 more weeks to evolve and get there, and we are 4-1 :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

TheDenominator wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:

What is the connection issue? Is it not having the right players presenting up the ground....lost count of how many times Owies was offering the hit up from half forward but just wasnt big or strong enough to hold onto the ball. I wondered if playing TDK would allow SOS to get up the ground more or if someone like Honey can offer that outlet

Yes I also noted that on numerous ocassions it was Durdin or Owies being the lead up and it never worked. It will be interesting to see once Honey gets back in the VFL whether he becomes the preferred option to Owies. Personally I would prefer Honey or Cunningham to Owies as I think with Owies Fish and Durdin we are too small.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Left at 3/4 time.

WTF!

Weak.

Mmmmmmm probably. I honestly don't know what I want out of football anymore. Maybe for 11 years I just ODed and I have reached saturation point. I would like more enjoyment but I am in no-mans land alot with it all these days. The Blues out of the middle bought some enjoyment in spurts and the first half was great, but they were witches hats to be honest.

The 3rd Quarter was pretty horrendous so as I said to Caz........If we win great, move on, if we lost I simply didn't want to see the supporters so despondent after such a great start to the year. She said she was bored with the game so she was happy to leave as well.

Weak! I can cop that on the chin.

Regards Cazzesman

Sorry to hear that.

But I getcha.

Let's hope the Blueboys can give you a reason to turn that around.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thanks: Go Blues.

Regards Cazzesman

I left my seat front row on level 2 at 3/4 time against the Tigers because I couldn't bear to watch the last quarter of the last 9 years repeat itself.

Watched it from the standing room so I could at least slink away without copping it from Richmond fans when they eventually rolled us.

Didn't go yesterday after what we dished up the last 6 quarters against Hawthorn and Gold Coast.

Absolutely no trust in this team, and fair enough after 20 years of misery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

carntheblues wrote:
TheDenominator wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:

What is the connection issue? Is it not having the right players presenting up the ground....lost count of how many times Owies was offering the hit up from half forward but just wasnt big or strong enough to hold onto the ball. I wondered if playing TDK would allow SOS to get up the ground more or if someone like Honey can offer that outlet

Yes I also noted that on numerous ocassions it was Durdin or Owies being the lead up and it never worked. It will be interesting to see once Honey gets back in the VFL whether he becomes the preferred option to Owies. Personally I would prefer Honey or Cunningham to Owies as I think with Owies Fish and Durdin we are too small.

Harry seems to be the only forward that can shift the opposition zone when he presents as that lead up option. The rest aren’t doing enough damage in the air to command that sort of respect.

De Koning as the fwd/ruck would’ve been ideal for that lead up option, but he didn’t want to leave the 50m arc. Without a true CHF, we have to look to Silvagni, Curnow & Pittonet - the latter would require a more courageous path to goal as he’s asked to defend the corridor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLCA Votes

Player (Club)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 Sam Walsh (CARL)
7 George Hewett (CARL)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Harry McKay (CARL)
2 Zak Butters (PORT)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Having read the posts and after 5 rounds it’s becoming clear that Freo are one of the better teams.
As Darcy improves after being injured and a late start their clearence numbers will get better.

It’s obvious that if a team gains an advantage against us in this area we are in a lot of trouble because we don’t work hard enough to reduce space for teams to not slice us up.
Pittonet dominated yesterday. If Lycett had been available it would have been a different result.
Posters once again arn’t looking at the obvious.
Once Port got the clearance dominance we had no answer.
Our percentage is 102 mathematically amazing for a 4-1 win /loss ratio.

Voss needs to address this area pronto.
It was a massive problem last year.

We are still an average team

Wrong again keogh, we have improved massively to be an average team.

You make a good point.

I don't know how keogh can predict the result if Lycett played.

Once we stopped trying and felt we had done all the work needed (a trait from the past imo), Port were allowed to cmme back.

Blues looked incredible in the first half, with or without Pitto, Lycett, jack.
Have to give credit where credit is due. The overlap running was a result of effort and connection. Period.

Pretty easy
Pittonet beat Hayes easy
And JOS beat anyone else. Port had nobody to back Hayes up.
That potentially gave us better first use at stoppages
Once Port started to extract it fron the stoppage they dominated because we are still terrible at protecting space
TDK has to come in this week
JOs won’t get 8 hit outs against Lobb
Darcy is an excellent ruckman
Lose the stoppages and it’s game over for us based on the first 5 rounds

You lose all credibility with your comments about Martin’s lack of effort and intensity by asking for TDK to be promoted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
AFLCA Votes

Player (Club)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 Sam Walsh (CARL)
7 George Hewett (CARL)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Harry McKay (CARL)
2 Zak Butters (PORT)

I thought Connor Rozee was clearly better than Sam Walsh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
Effes wrote:
AFLCA Votes

Player (Club)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 Sam Walsh (CARL)
7 George Hewett (CARL)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Harry McKay (CARL)
2 Zak Butters (PORT)

I thought Connor Rozee was clearly better than Sam Walsh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:donk:

Attachments:
Kane Cornes Walsh.PNG
Kane Cornes Walsh.PNG [ 25.01 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Surprised Amon didn't get a vote from Kern. I thought him going to Walsh and minimizing his impact was one of the reasons they got back into it.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Heavs wrote:
Surprised Amon didn't get a vote from Kern. I thought him going to Walsh and minimizing his impact was one of the reasons they got back into it.

Correct , and what makes it more fascinating he hasn't signed for next year at this stage . Voss would be in his ear for sure .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next