Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:58 am 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
Just watching the replay. We were all over Port for the first half of the 3rd quarter. Absolutely dominant. Difference to the first 2 quarters was we couldn't score. That was where it started to break down. Our forward entries were poor, but Port flooded back to stop the big boys. Then it Seychelles. Port kicked a couple of tall good goals. Most telling though was the repeat entries. Our Achilles heal showed through again in our inability to get it past half back from the kick in. Old habits die hard. When the heat came, we reverted back to our old ways. Kick long to a pack repeatedly. Problem was Port were sweating on it. Knew that's what was coming. They spoiled forward where players were waiting for it and in they went again until eventually they got the goal.

From there the momentum completely swung. We went into our shell and instead of moving to make space for ourselves, started only worrying about our opponent to the point where we forgot to attack. We forgot to run. In essence we just shit ourselves. The demons of the past haven't been exorcised yet. The belief is better, but hasn't got to the point where the 5 goal runs can be stopped yet. The players like the supporters when a team comes just think, here we go again, this always happens and no one is strong enough to say not today.

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
Good post The Cranium.
Thought we blew so many good chances when we were on top and when we were under the pump.
Agree with Caz, the ruck frees against Pitto are bewildering.
Curnow’s presence around the ball in the dying minutes was important I thought. He didn’t do much but showed leadership and Port players would have been aware he was there.
The only enjoyment of the second half was listening to Russell having to commentate Port not winning.
And Robbie Grey actually missed against us.

What an absolute delight it is to have you back " Whistler ". .....................agree , " Cranium " points out that dominance early third quarter for zilch return cost us . Hey " Whisler ", how good is it being back , really back , not a false dawn . As you know mate i was mad keen on Voss ten years ago but better late than never . He is the real deal .

PS...........how is your good mate " The Big Sinner " going ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:17 pm 
Bruce Comben

The trick to preserving one's mental/cardiac health when barracking for us, is to focus on golf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:27 pm 
Bruce Comben

cortez wrote:
Pottering around outside, went into the shed and turned the radio on for a score. We're 45 points up in the third quarter, I can relax now, surely we can't lose from there.

Walk back in later, turn radio on, theme song playing. Hoping we've buried them, three point win... I rarely watch or listen to the games now, it's not good for my health.

The trick to preserving one's mental/cardiac health when barracking for us, is to focus on golf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:46 pm 
Garry Crane

The_Cranium wrote:
Just watching the replay. We were all over Port for the first half of the 3rd quarter. Absolutely dominant. Difference to the first 2 quarters was we couldn't score. That was where it started to break down. Our forward entries were poor, but Port flooded back to stop the big boys. Then it Seychelles. Port kicked a couple of tall good goals. Most telling though was the repeat entries. Our Achilles heal showed through again in our inability to get it past half back from the kick in. Old habits die hard. When the heat came, we reverted back to our old ways. Kick long to a pack repeatedly. Problem was Port were sweating on it. Knew that's what was coming. They spoiled forward where players were waiting for it and in they went again until eventually they got the goal.

From there the momentum completely swung. We went into our shell and instead of moving to make space for ourselves, started only worrying about our opponent to the point where we forgot to attack. We forgot to run. In essence we just shit ourselves. The demons of the past haven't been exorcised yet. The belief is better, but hasn't got to the point where the 5 goal runs can be stopped yet. The players like the supporters when a team comes just think, here we go again, this always happens and no one is strong enough to say not today.

Nice one Cranium.
We were 44 points up with around 8 minutes to play in the 3rd and missed targets or made poor choices going inside 50s up until that point. I watched the replay and Cerra, Setterfield, Cottrell and Martin all had opportunities to hid up leads but didnt. Inside 50s to that point were 9-4 in our favour. Port kicked a couple of goals against the run (Burton one of two long ones and Boak) but Martin had a chance to kick a steadier with a little over 5 to play in the 3rd. Margin would have been 37 points instead it was out on the full and with 4 minutes to play Rozee kicks a banana from the boundary and all of a sudden the margin is 25 points Port have some belief and it was game on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I’d be keen to hear from others any insight into how Martin & Owies went statless in the last quarter.

Jack put in a big third quarter, getting himself into the action at half back, but (Fisher aside) the crumbers and half forwards were a piss poor group in the second half.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I’d be keen to hear from others any insight into how Martin & Owies went statless in the last quarter.

Jack put in a big third quarter, getting himself into the action at half back, but (Fisher aside) the crumbers and half forwards were a piss poor group in the second half.

A glaring problem for sure . Personally think the current crop don't cut it . I would like to see 'em shuffle a few through there . Honey has to come back , try Motlop and Philp ...............as one of our astute posters noted Martin is the sort that could kick 5 in a GF but how much patience has Voss got .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:16 pm 
Bruce Comben

Blues21 wrote:
Can't see us getting within 5goLsof Freo next week

There's also 3,433 ks between us. Indeed, we may be in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:

Go and watch Jack Martin play live and focus on him. When others are jogging around the field, he sprints up and down the ground creating options, drawing defenders which creates space for his team mates and attacking the ball/player as hard as anyone.
If his body can hold together and he can stay on the park long enough to build his endurance, he'll be great value. I watched him yesterday when he didn't have the footy and couldn't believe his workrate and application.

Owies and Durdin didn't have big games but we still had 16 inside tackles which is very good. It's our connection between half back and half forward that's creating us issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

12 Bar Blue wrote:

That's on a par with your best posts...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:29 pm 
Garry Crane

common pattern is that soon as teams start to run and spread we are gone,it is so clear . Watch how many easy goals opposition kick with numbers around the ball ,and yes old carlton long bomb (from def) cost us 4 goals in 3 Q. But the good news it is early into the season so our coaching panel can fix this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:34 pm 
Garry Crane

Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Go and watch Jack Martin play live and focus on him. When others are jogging around the field, he sprints up and down the ground creating options, drawing defenders which creates space for his team mates and attacking the ball/player as hard as anyone.
If his body can hold together and he can stay on the park long enough to build his endurance, he'll be great value. I watched him yesterday when he didn't have the footy and couldn't believe his workrate and application.

Owies and Durdin didn't have big games but we still had 16 inside tackles which is very good. It's our connection between half back and half forward that's creating us issues.

What is the connection issue? Is it not having the right players presenting up the ground....lost count of how many times Owies was offering the hit up from half forward but just wasnt big or strong enough to hold onto the ball. I wondered if playing TDK would allow SOS to get up the ground more or if someone like Honey can offer that outlet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
12 Bar Blue wrote:

That's on a par with your best posts...

:lol: I'd say at least half of them

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
I noticed it against GC, and it was there again today, when we needed to play temp footy we just dont work hard enough. There is not enough players in motion creating space, running at the ball. Our ball carrier then has no option to bomb it long down the wing to a contest. Which creates turnovers and the ball rebounding fast into our under pressure backline.

Port did it well, So did the Hawks.

Frustrates me to no end.

Go Blues

Completely agree.

Why is this so? fatigue? Lack of initiative?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:45 pm 
Rod McGregor

Most noticeable for me at the ground was our lack of intercept marks all day, didn’t matter in the first half but non existent in the 2nd half - we badly miss Jones or McGovern or Marchbank. Constantly punching it away just gives the opposition another chance. Weiters doesn’t have confidence to go for his marks compared to last year and Young, Parks and Plowman just don’t go for marks. All good sides have 2 players that intercept mark. At present we have NONE!! Hard to stop momentum if you can’t break the play up and then find the next person down the field. It was also noticeable the lack of composure in the last quarter. Absolute relief when the siren went thought we were done. Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Having read the posts and after 5 rounds it’s becoming clear that Freo are one of the better teams.
As Darcy improves after being injured and a late start their clearence numbers will get better.

It’s obvious that if a team gains an advantage against us in this area we are in a lot of trouble because we don’t work hard enough to reduce space for teams to not slice us up.
Pittonet dominated yesterday. If Lycett had been available it would have been a different result.
Posters once again arn’t looking at the obvious.
Once Port got the clearance dominance we had no answer.
Our percentage is 102 mathematically amazing for a 4-1 win /loss ratio.

Voss needs to address this area pronto.
It was a massive problem last year.

We are still an average team

Wrong again keogh, we have improved massively to be an average team.

You make a good point.

I don't know how keogh can predict the result if Lycett played.

Once we stopped trying and felt we had done all the work needed (a trait from the past imo), Port were allowed to cmme back.

Blues looked incredible in the first half, with or without Pitto, Lycett, jack.
Have to give credit where credit is due. The overlap running was a result of effort and connection. Period.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Crusader wrote:

I agree with the last statement.
I think your been very generous when it comes to Martin.
He doesn’t attack the ball/player as hard as anyone. That’s crap. Actually the opposite at times.
Martin coasts
He has had it easy as a footballer.
Looks a million dollars
Silky skills
But simply goes missing for too long
When tried in the midfield has been useless
I also reckon he hasn’t been fit enough his whole career and got away with it

If he is as good as you say then where was he in the last when we needed him
Overrated
Gets a game next week for his first half yesterday
But the heat will be on him and everyone else
Freo are decent this year

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:27 pm 
Garry Crane

17 disposals, 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 8 score involvements
Please give me more overrated games like this one Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
keogh wrote:
Having read the posts and after 5 rounds it’s becoming clear that Freo are one of the better teams.
As Darcy improves after being injured and a late start their clearence numbers will get better.

It’s obvious that if a team gains an advantage against us in this area we are in a lot of trouble because we don’t work hard enough to reduce space for teams to not slice us up.
Pittonet dominated yesterday. If Lycett had been available it would have been a different result.
Posters once again arn’t looking at the obvious.
Once Port got the clearance dominance we had no answer.
Our percentage is 102 mathematically amazing for a 4-1 win /loss ratio.

Voss needs to address this area pronto.
It was a massive problem last year.

We are still an average team

Wrong again keogh, we have improved massively to be an average team.

You make a good point.

I don't know how keogh can predict the result if Lycett played.

Once we stopped trying and felt we had done all the work needed (a trait from the past imo), Port were allowed to cmme back.

Blues looked incredible in the first half, with or without Pitto, Lycett, jack.
Have to give credit where credit is due. The overlap running was a result of effort and connection. Period.

Pretty easy
Pittonet beat Hayes easy
And JOS beat anyone else. Port had nobody to back Hayes up.
That potentially gave us better first use at stoppages
Once Port started to extract it fron the stoppage they dominated because we are still terrible at protecting space
TDK has to come in this week
JOs won’t get 8 hit outs against Lobb
Darcy is an excellent ruckman
Lose the stoppages and it’s game over for us based on the first 5 rounds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

[quote="TheDenominator"]17 disposals, 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 8 score involvements
Please give me more overrated games like this one Jack

His first half was excellent
He did nothing in the second half
Guess he wasn’t on his Pat Malone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next