Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Ok..............i've been a big critic of our current game plan but putting that aside for a moment, i wanna bring something to your attention that happened a few times today but one point in particular, at the 9:30min mark of the 3rd qtr.

Carlton, shwoing a little bit of heart and stagging a mini fightback, have just cleared the ball through Kouta, who handballs it to a running Kad Simpson who had shown dash and class all day. Simmo run's it throught the guts evaiding a few freo players and takes 3 bounces. Whilst most eyes where on the running simmo, mine were focused entirely on our forwards Fevola and Longmuier who were stationary in the goal square, despit the fact they had at least 30mtrs of a F50 to lead into.

Simmo, who seemed confused as to why nobody was creating a lead, had no other option but to kick to a contest!

This has happened to often in the past three or four games to go un-noticed!

Another thing..............................when we see our two most talented forwards playing as full backs in the final qtr - shouldn't that be enough to tell us that our forward line structure is pretty much not exsistant (IE; SHITHOUSE!) and needs to be addressed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Didnt they do much better with "our two best forwards in the backline " too???
Look Waite and Fisher looked very mobile and dangerous in there...
i thought the move paid off and it was probably a glimpse into the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:27 pm 
John Nicholls

Synbad wrote:
Didnt they do much better with "our two best forwards in the backline " too???
Look Waite and Fisher looked very mobile and dangerous in there...
i thought the move paid off and it was probably a glimpse into the future.

You see Fish as more of a back man than a forward, Synbad?
Or could he develop into a Lucas type where he can play both ends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:31 pm 
Garry Crane

Our forwards would do a hell of alot better if they received some decent delivery occasionally.

And our backmen wouldn't be bombarded if our midfielders applied a bit of pressure on their opponents.

How many times did Freo clear it out of the middle with ease today? I lost count. We need to fix the midfield first and foremost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

i think Fisher could play down back as well up front..
He looked very dangerous today... easily our best forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ryan2000 wrote:
Carlton, shwoing a little bit of heart and stagging a mini fightback, have just cleared the ball through Kouta, who handballs it to a running Kad Simpson who had shown dash and class all day. Simmo run's it throught the guts evaiding a few freo players and takes 3 bounces. Whilst most eyes where on the running simmo, mine were focused entirely on our forwards Fevola and Longmuier who were stationary in the goal square, despit the fact they had at least 30mtrs of a F50 to lead into.

I believe we have been forward predictable for too long, kick to forward who kick goals. Backmen just zone off and wait for Fev/Lance to lead and chop it off.

I believe we havn't been getting enough goals from our midfield all year.. When players are streaming from the wing into the forward line its actually OK for the forwards to stay in the goalsquare and not clog up the open space in front of them and allow the midfield players to run into that space and have a shot...

Kades goals were class, how much confidence would that give him knowing if he is 50 out after a couple of bounces and can kick a goal... We are lacking players in our team who can do that... Not only that, it team lifting to a teammate running down the wing evading players and kicking a monster from 50... How was his run when he eventually give it to Prenda who kicked the goal, the players all run to Kade.

Look at WCE, noname forward line but its there midfield who kicks most of there goals week in week out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Carazzo and Kade running the ball gave confidence to McGrath too.
Its been a hard road for 1AW but it will rub off on him too.
Slowly what Denis drums into them will sink in...

Byron Pickett busted last years (GF)game open with his running. i have no doubt when Denis has them all playing like HE wants they will gain the confidence theyre lacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

Carrazzo stepped up today and appeared very confident breaking tackles and taking on players. I reckon he is gonna be very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

TheGame wrote:
Carrazzo stepped up today and appeared very confident breaking tackles and taking on players. I reckon he is gonna be very good.

It was great to see him do that on a couple of occasions, just treated their tacklers with contempt as other teams do ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:03 pm 
Bob Chitty

I think the sheik or someone else on csc mentioned playing fev up the ground as more your pure flanker type role. Use his pace, strength, kicking etc to bring him in to the game, particularly when the midfield is as it is. ok, he didn't kick a bag, but he was useful and seems to do it up the ground with relative ease. not so much pressure, less of fev vs 2/3 defenders. lets face it, when he has a barry croker at ff (which is a bit given the m/f and our general shit form), try something else.

we have a few options up forward. lets not pidgeon hole fev as our sole forward and a ff at that. We've seen fish, waite, longmuir (saw a glimpse today of his ability), and others. our forward line has options, it sort of worked today.

as deano keeps reiterating, just fix the $%#&*@ midfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:10 pm 
Trevor Keogh

u know 1 problem is most of our midfielders are helping out the defenders in the half back, that's why we always see the opposition players running in the middle without any contest, hence they are able to delivery the ball to their forwards with ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:15 pm 
Bob Chitty

Wojee wrote:
TheGame wrote:

It was great to see him do that on a couple of occasions, just treated their tacklers with contempt as other teams do ours.

Oh yeah!!

Isn't it sad that we applaud great tackles not great team events.

and dwell on shit like scoto being called outa bounds on a run because the boundary umpire was sooo far behind he took a guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

McKaysMistress wrote:
Our forwards would do a hell of alot better if they received some decent delivery occasionally.

And our backmen wouldn't be bombarded if our midfielders applied a bit of pressure on their opponents.

How many times did Freo clear it out of the middle with ease today? I lost count. We need to fix the midfield first and foremost.

Spot on!

Fisher looked great out there today, as did Simpson and Carazzo.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SHHH! wrote:
and dwell on shit like scoto being called outa bounds on a run because the boundary umpire was sooo far behind he took a guess

Oh did that piss me off... the controlling midfield umpire was right in front of scotland and saw every bit of it and didn't say a word and just went on the boundary umpires decision from 50 meters away behind the action..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quote:

Carazzo already is very good - he will be GREAT !

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.