Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
I'm hearing Cripps' hammy was very minor

1-2 weeks?

Damn, beaten to it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:39 am 
Bruce Doull

You were beaten to it by 1-2 weeks...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:40 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:
I'm hearing Cripps' hammy was very minor

Cheers.
So 1-2 weeks?

Rumour is he's going to play. Which given our record with this stuff doesn't exactly fill me with confidence

If he plays this week, then it wasn't really a hamstring injury as such. Something else.
Our most recent record is actually ok: i.e. We were all worried with Walsh coming back 2-3weeks earlier than expected. Hasn't been a problem.
I am sure they will not risk it if there is any concern. If it is a hamstring, this is not the sort of injury you can just push through the pain and be ok.
If he plays, he is ok to go. If it is a very minor hamstring, they won't risk it. We have other more concerning things to worry about that this decision which is pretty clear cut, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

GreatEx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
We have seen some really exciting football from the Blues and I fully expected them to become a competition heavyweight in 2022.

However, we have won 5 out of 16 quarters and have reverted back to the same old ways of 2021.

I have lost confidence in their progress and I think we will lose this game.

Damning stat.

I think people focus way too much on this stat as a way to undermine our season. If you win one quarter by 40 points and lose the other three by 2 points each, then by the quarters won stat it's "damning" despite an easy win. Why not look at contested and uncontested possessions, clearances, F50 entries, conversion rates, and all the other categories where we produced strong numbers over the first month of the season? These stats actually tend to translate into wins and losses. Quarters won mean little, especially when a team that's 5-11 in quarters is 3-1 in matches.
Actually 7 qtrs from 16. We actually won 2 qtrs last week.

On the other had we were equal 4th for qtrs won in 2020. The 5 goals opposition bursts killed us then.

So, basically backs up what you said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

It wouldn't surprise me if we name him and then he's a late out on the day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great if Cripps plays… probably drop the match day doctor for a couple weeks though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 pm 
formerly BlueRob

jim wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
We have seen some really exciting football from the Blues and I fully expected them to become a competition heavyweight in 2022.

However, we have won 5 out of 16 quarters and have reverted back to the same old ways of 2021.

Damning stat.

I think people focus way too much on this stat as a way to undermine our season. If you win one quarter by 40 points and lose the other three by 2 points each, then by the quarters won stat it's "damning" despite an easy win. Why not look at contested and uncontested possessions, clearances, F50 entries, conversion rates, and all the other categories where we produced strong numbers over the first month of the season? These stats actually tend to translate into wins and losses. Quarters won mean little, especially when a team that's 5-11 in quarters is 3-1 in matches.

On the other had we were equal 4th for qtrs won in 2020. The 5 goals opposition bursts killed us then.

We were both wrong. 6 out of 16 quarters won.

Won 2

CARLTON 1.3 5.9 7.12 14.17 (101)
RICHMOND 4.5 4.7 10.9 11.10 (76)

Won 2

BULLDOGS 4.1 7.3 11.5 13.12 (90)
CARLTON 5.2 12.4 14.5 16.6 (102)

Won 1

CARLTON 7.1 9.5 10.6 11.8 (74)
HAWTHORN 1.3 4.5 7.7 11.7 (73)

Won 1

GOLD COAST 5.5 7.7 12.10 13.14 (92)
CARLTON 3.2 5.5 6.9 8.14 (62)

My point is that we are a very inconsistent side and it does not inspire a lot of confidence. When we are on fire we look invincible but when we are challenged we revert back to old ways.
-Bombing haphazardly
-Lack of leads out of the forward line
-Forgetting about forward handballs
-Lack of spread
-Bad decision making
-No run
-No backing up

I hope Voss can fix this because we look a really good side at times. My forecast at the start of the year was that we would finish right up the top. I am still hoping.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sometimes it’s easy to forget that every side is going to lose games this year.

It’s happened to every side in every year in the history of the game.

And when your side loses a game it seems bad but every side is doing that at some point during the year.

So is every team bad?

Much happier assessing our team and our club in October than April.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Jim is correct we have won 7 of 16.
The Suns game we won 2nd and 4th Quarters.

Interestingly though, of the four games so far we have won 2 x Q1, 3 x Q2, 0 x Q3 & 2 x Q4
The premiership quarter has been a bust thus far.
We are ranked 10th for quarters won and Geelong (9th) have only won 8 and sit in 5th spot.
While we want and need to win quarters it's not a good metric in isolation, as per GE comment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:30 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Who would have guessed ... I did 3 years of mathematical physics and I still can't count ... :oops:

My points are still valid. And its not just about losing 1 game. We lost to Gold Coast :donk: :donk: :banghead: Also we were far from convincing against the Hawks ... not much of a team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:45 pm 
Robert Walls

BigBlueWave wrote:

That stat is actually wrong, sorry.

We have won 7 out of 16 quarters:

- 2 vs Tigers
- 2 vs Dogs
- 1 vs Hawks
- 2 vs Suns

Not sure where people keep getting 5 from?

*Edit - I see that this has already been picked up by multiple people - carry on*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:02 am 
Robert Walls

BigBlueWave wrote:
jim wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Damning stat.

We were both wrong. 6 out of 16 quarters won.

Won 2

CARLTON 1.3 5.9 7.12 14.17 (101)
RICHMOND 4.5 4.7 10.9 11.10 (76)

Won 2

BULLDOGS 4.1 7.3 11.5 13.12 (90)
CARLTON 5.2 12.4 14.5 16.6 (102)

Won 1

CARLTON 7.1 9.5 10.6 11.8 (74)
HAWTHORN 1.3 4.5 7.7 11.7 (73)

Won 1

GOLD COAST 5.5 7.7 12.10 13.14 (92)
CARLTON 3.2 5.5 6.9 8.14 (62)

My point is that we are a very inconsistent side and it does not inspire a lot of confidence. When we are on fire we look invincible but when we are challenged we revert back to old ways.
-Bombing haphazardly
-Lack of leads out of the forward line
-Forgetting about forward handballs
-Lack of spread
-Bad decision making
-No run
-No backing up

I hope Voss can fix this because we look a really good side at times. My forecast at the start of the year was that we would finish right up the top. I am still hoping.

You make some good points, but I still think it is a bit early to assess anything other than to note that when it all clicks, we look invincible.

I think it is going to take a while before everyone is in tune with exactly what the coach and their team mates expect of them. And until then, there a few going to be a few big highs and some massive lows unfortunately....

It will also take a while to reprogram them from reverting back to the long-bombing, lazy front-running, pressureless, turnover filled football that we saw a lot in the last 7 quarters of football.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:15 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blues by Vo55

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:10 am 
Craig Bradley

There were moments on Sunday where Vossy must’ve been wondering if he was at the right game, like ‘who the @#$%&! are these blokes?’

The end-to-end transitions from GC were straight up embarrassing for everyone in navy blue garb. Getting beaten on the overlap is one thing, but to get beaten straight up the guts - from a kick in… if Vossy didn’t blow up, he’s going to give himself an ulcer.

I’m not one of those fans that demands answers for everything, but if the boss is wanting to shore up the good early work, he might want to trot out some sort of explanation for the lethargy - in particular, the stunted game time from two prime midfielders after losing the skipper at 1/4 time. If it’s the rona, it’s the rona… if it’s completely inflexible load management, that’s just about the end of AR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
There were moments on Sunday where Vossy must’ve been wondering if he was at the right game, like ‘who the @#$%&! are these blokes?’

The end-to-end transitions from GC were straight up embarrassing for everyone in navy blue garb. Getting beaten on the overlap is one thing, but to get beaten straight up the guts - from a kick in… if Vossy didn’t blow up, he’s going to give himself an ulcer.

I’m not one of those fans that demands answers for everything, but if the boss is wanting to shore up the good early work, he might want to trot out some sort of explanation for the lethargy - in particular, the stunted game time from two prime midfielders after losing the skipper at 1/4 time. If it’s the rona, it’s the rona… if it’s completely inflexible load management, that’s just about the end of AR.

On that last point re the stunted game from Cerra and Kennedy when Cripps went down, leaving Hewett to carry the group on his own.

I feel we need to have a really hungry inside mid on the bench ready to throw him in when the other(s) are showing a lack of energy.

Interesting point re AR. Round 1 we were singing his praises.

Sidefx summed it up for us:

Quote:
so far we have won 2 x Q1, 3 x Q2, 0 x Q3 & 2 x Q4

The 3rd quarter slump should be the Coach's domain to solve.
The rest doesn't give us any pattern other than to say we go into our shells.

I think the opposition work out what we are doing during the game and adjust, and we don't...that's Voss too.

The last quarter is maybe Voss adjusting to counter the opposition set up and its too late for the opposition to adjust (twice).

May have nothing to do with fitness, but Cerra and Kennedy were not switched on let alone raring to go. So disappointing, leaving it to too few to carry the load.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Interesting that Philp spent some time on the wing in the VFL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cripps out - Dow in
Pittonet in - Fogarty out

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:30 pm 
Wayne Johnston

carntheblues wrote:
Cripps out - Dow in
Pittonet in - Fogarty out

Surely Durdin needs to come back in?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

BigBlueWave wrote:
Who would have guessed ... I did 3 years of mathematical physics and I still can't count ... :oops:

My points are still valid. And its not just about losing 1 game. We lost to Gold Coast :donk: :donk: :banghead: Also we were far from convincing against the Hawks ... not much of a team.

:lol:
It happens to the best of us, my old brain isn't as agile as it used to be.
As far as the team goes, for me it's only round 5 and it's too early to jump the gun.
The Hawks game we had two key talls out and two players coming back from H&S Protocols which didn't help and against the Suns we had a pressure forward, 1st ruck and no.1 contested clearance player in the league out, then there are the gastro rumours.
Big outs for a newly coached team with a new game style and although we have some good depth now, after watching the listed players in the two's, we still have holes and a little way to go to address the loss of the players we've had. i.e. A second mature ruck and key talls.
Taking the above into account, it's only natural they will fall back into old habits at times.
We just hope it become less and less as the season progresses.
It'll take time but I think we are in a far better place than anyone could've predicted off the back of the last two seasons.
For me, it's what we do next and how we react to losses that will define how the team is going.
Big game this weekend and without Cripps it will be a good coaching test against an old side and an even better test on our system.

Go Blues!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

On that last point re the stunted game from Cerra and Kennedy when Cripps went down, leaving Hewett to carry the group on his own.

I feel we need to have a really hungry inside mid on the bench ready to throw him in when the other(s) are showing a lack of energy.

Interesting point re AR. Round 1 we were singing his praises.

Sidefx summed it up for us:

Quote:
so far we have won 2 x Q1, 3 x Q2, 0 x Q3 & 2 x Q4

The 3rd quarter slump should be the Coach's domain to solve.
The rest doesn't give us any pattern other than to say we go into our shells.

I think the opposition work out what we are doing during the game and adjust, and we don't...that's Voss too.

The last quarter is maybe Voss adjusting to counter the opposition set up and its too late for the opposition to adjust (twice).

May have nothing to do with fitness, but Cerra and Kennedy were not switched on let alone raring to go. So disappointing, leaving it to too few to carry the load.

I agree with this point and have been saying this since last year after the draft, we need 1 more A grade inside mid.
Kennedy was doing really well up until the last game and I thought he may just be the answer.
But I think he was exposed with his lack of speed at the contest and is why he had so many clangers and little to no impact.
For the slower midfield teams he will be good, but I still think we need one more A grade jet with pace in the middle.
The other point to take note of with this loss is that Pitto has been doing some really good ground work in the opening games and losing him has been a lot bigger than some may give him credit for.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next