Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:30 am 
Geoff Southby

Voss making a statement
Martin Setterfield very lucky
Dow Stocker stiff
I know Newnes has played well in the twos but we need to move on without him

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:40 am 
Rod Ashman

Another season-defining, line-in-the-sand, must-win game.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Voss making a statement
Dow Stocker stiff

I think picking the best team is the way to go.
Newnes seems to be in good form and offers the physicality required at AFL level, moreso than LOB imo.

Development can come from maturity and practise the instructions of the coaches in VFL, and not necessarily from gifting games and stuffing up on the big stage.

I love competition for spots. I just wish the talent of the wings we field are the next level. We need to find better than Newnes and LOB incase they don't improve.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:09 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

Why would we "move on without him" :?
If the coaching staff have given him areas to improve and he has done so in the VFL, what's the issue?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:55 am 
Ken Hunter

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Voss understands that the wings are a problem so both Newnes and Cottrell are selected. Setterfield who is meant to be a mid takes Cripps role. Dow misses out even though he should be in for team balance.

My gut feel is that Cerra, Kennedy & Hewett start middle with Walsh & Setterfield taking the wings.
Rotations from there but that is what I would anticipate to kick off.

Williams Young Parks
Docherty Weitering Saad
Walsh Kennedy Setterfield
Martin Curnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay Durdin
Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Owies Newman Newnes Cottrell
Sub: O’Brien

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

keogh wrote:
Voss making a statement
Dow Stocker stiff

Newnes in shows the list is still far from perfect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:02 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If we win tomorrow AND best North and Adel we are 6 and 1.

Of course we could be 3 and 2 tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't mind Newnes in. Competition for spots can come from all angles. LT obviously he isn't the answer but anyone thinking we are a premiership side now is fooling themselves. We still have a number of holes and the players have a long way to go in terms of learning modern football. Our ability to transition and stop the opposition transitioning is still poor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
If we win tomorrow AND best North and Adel we are 6 and 1.

Dockers in Perth next week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

If the coaching staff have given him areas to improve and he has done so in the VFL, what's the issue?

Because he is 29 and a good reserves player
Prefer Dow or Stocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:38 pm 
Garry Crane

Time will tell but I agree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

Prefer Dow or Stocker

Agree, we need to play guys that have upside. Newnes is as good as he’s going to get

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:39 pm 
Robert Walls

DesEnglish wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

Prefer Dow or Stocker

Agree, we need to play guys that have upside. Newnes is as good as he’s going to get

Would rather play the blokes the match committee think will get us the win

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluebo baggers wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

Prefer Dow or Stocker

Would rather play the blokes the match committee think will get us the win

Exactly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

I agree with the outs, but Newnes & Cottrell just seem so.....'Teague era' to me. Admittedly I'm jaded.

Anyway regardless of who plays wing or who takes Cripps' role or whatever, we have some massive advantages tomorrow. We have 4 quality mids up against a side that didn't get a goal in a half of footy last week. We have Harry & Charlie up forward & weiters down back & no Dixon. We have pitto up against a first gamer.

No excuses, at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

All the posters about wings lately and I have been one, there is a good article on the AFL website regarding Ed Langdon from Melbourne and his importance to their structure.

If we haven't got players to dominate wings, triers and maybe that is what Cottrell and Newnes are in for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
I agree with the outs, but Newnes & Cottrell just seem so.....'Teague era' to me. Admittedly I'm jaded.

Anyway regardless of who plays wing or who takes Cripps' role or whatever, we have some massive advantages tomorrow. We have 4 quality mids up against a side that didn't get a goal in a half of footy last week. We have Harry & Charlie up forward & weiters down back & no Dixon. We have pitto up against a first gamer.

No excuses, at all.

Couple of worrying stats from the KPIs on the Footy Live app:

86.8% - the percentage of our kicks that have been directed forward. The lowest of any side.

8.8% - we’ve targeted the corridor just 8.8% of the time when exiting defensive 50. The lowest of any side.

Have ourselves some ‘Malthouse era’ as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:54 am 
Geoff Southby

Reckon we will destroy this mob . Selections are good coz we need more run and the in"s provide that . No guts , no glory , Voss aint mucking' around . Very aware of weaknesses and is working very hard to get things right .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:14 am 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Voss understands that the wings are a problem so both Newnes and Cottrell are selected. Setterfield who is meant to be a mid takes Cripps role. Dow misses out even though he should be in for team balance.

My gut feel is that Cerra, Kennedy & Hewett start middle with Walsh & Setterfield taking the wings.
Rotations from there but that is what I would anticipate to kick off.

Williams Young Parks
Docherty Weitering Saad
Walsh Kennedy Setterfield
Martin Curnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay Durdin
Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Owies Newman Newnes Cottrell
Sub: O’Brien

Interesting article on AFL website by Riley Beveridge on the role of the wingers. I quote: " Clubs believe that external assessment s of their wingers are often impossible, such are the unforeseen roles they play away from the ball" They talk of Ed Langdon exemplifying this new winger role. I watched him carefully last night with Melbourne playing GWS, he didn't get a lot of the ball but nearly always was in the frame. I will watch our wingers very closely today. Personally fom the 2 games I have been to this year, I thought Setterfield was pretty good. I think the selections not only reflect more running, but also more aggression around the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Interesting article on AFL website by Riley Beveridge on the role of the wingers. I quote: " Clubs believe that external assessment s of their wingers are often impossible, such are the unforeseen roles they play away from the ball" They talk of Ed Langdon exemplifying this new winger role. I watched him carefully last night with Melbourne playing GWS, he didn't get a lot of the ball but nearly always was in the frame. I will watch our wingers very closely today. Personally fom the 2 games I have been to this year, I thought Setterfield was pretty good. I think the selections not only reflect more running, but also more aggression around the ball.

Good assessment. Setterfield has been very good at getting back into defence to assist.
Our balance around the stoppages will be interesting today. Last week Witts hit the ball to space whilst Cripps was still getting inside the stoppage hoping to win the hard ball. With TDK not competing, Cripps effectiveness was markedly reduced. His opponent was probably BOG at 1/4 time. We were killed at the stoppages around the ground and Port are very strong in that area.

Dont be fooled by Ports place on the ladder. They win plenty of ball, they kept Melbourne below 70 points last week without Allir and they can still win plenty of inside/outside ball. They still 1st in the AFL for clearances and tackles so their work rate and endeavour hasn't dropped off. Converting inside 50s to score has been their problem. Gray coming back will definitely help that.
We need big games from Kennedy, Cerra and a huge game from Pittonet today. In the past he's come up against second string ruckman and failed to impact as he should. They'll come in with a lot of belief after we folded last time against them. The challenge is there for our players to show they're better than that now.

After tipping us to lose last week, I'm tipping us to fall in today. By under 10 points.
But a win's a win. Our next 2 weeks will be tougher assignments.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next