Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Fogarty is a good tough little footballer . No problem with his inclusion . Hold the ball in . A defensive forward . One thing about Fogarty , he will do exactly what the coach tells him to do . A real team player .

Fogarty has been tried and found wanting, both last year and this. A good VFL player but lacks at AFL level. Should be Dow.

Hope I am wrong and he comes good this game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't mind that we've given credence to fogarty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sounds like it’ll be wet but if we’re fortunate?

Sun.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:04 pm 
Craig Bradley

I wonder, still I wonder, who’ll stop Rankine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

The thing that concerns me with Dow still not getting a game is that he’s probably starting to think about looking for opportunities elsewhere. Without playing him his value is low. We could quite possibly end up with another SPS situation where another clubs prises him out for a junk time pick. The difference is I still think Dow has what it takes to be a big time player. If we lose him we could regret it big time. Smells a bit like Grigg 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:

His inclusion feels like Deja Vu All Over Again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Fogarty is a good tough little footballer . No problem with his inclusion . Hold the ball in . A defensive forward . One thing about Fogarty , he will do exactly what the coach tells him to do . A real team player .

Fogarty has been tried and found wanting, both last year and this. A good VFL player but lacks at AFL level. Should be Dow.

I cannot understand how Dow has not been included, especially over Fogarty. Dow has been absolutely belting the door down in the VFL consistently all season so far. On exposed form he has been better than Martin IMO who had one good quarter against the tigers, however he consistently goes absent and rarely provides a consistent 4 qtr performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I cannot understand how Dow has not been included, especially over Fogarty. Dow has been absolutely belting the door down in the VFL consistently all season so far. On exposed form he has been better than Martin IMO who had one good quarter against the tigers, however he consistently goes absent and rarely provides a consistent 4 qtr performance.

Martin’s off ball work might be the best in the team. Certainly amongst the forwards.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Martin’s off ball work might be the best in the team. Certainly amongst the forwards.

If that's true its only one component of what he needs to bring every game consistently and over 4 quarters. I get it that he has talent etc , however if we are to be serious contenders again then we need to reward form output desire competitiveness and a number if other things. IMO and in exposed form, Dow is ahead of Martin in all of those areas and he should be rewarded.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I'm not a fan of Fog anymore.
Recall meeting him and was ultra impressed with his size physique in preseason, then he performed in first half season.
I have pointed out Fogs weaknesses, but I have to agree Mickstar has described Fog to a Tee.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The weekends results make it even more important to win tomorrow. We have an opportunity to be two games ahead of Collingwood, Richmond, Three ahead of bulldogs

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Thanks for making that comment.

Deflecting the spotlight from Fogarty to Martin? Two completely different players, two completely different stratospheres imo.
Yes they both compete for a spot in the best 22.

Martin is an offensive weapon and can take a mark, which implies he can compete for balls at the highest point: Fog can't do any of those things to that level.

Tomorrow, Martin is on his own. I'm not sticking up for him.
I expect him to show his best against his old team. Nothing less.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Crusader wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

If that's true its only one component of what he needs to bring every game consistently and over 4 quarters. I get it that he has talent etc , however if we are to be serious contenders again then we need to reward form output desire competitiveness and a number if other things. IMO and in exposed form, Dow is ahead of Martin in all of those areas and he should be rewarded.

Dow's VFL form right?
Forget stats for a minute. Have you seen his games? You know, the 30 possession games?
Martin has already done more AFL level things than Dow.
Dow is knocking on the door. Martin has been selected at HFF.

You should be applauding Martin for earning the nod from the MC, that includes the Coach too, rather than suggesting they're wrong....just sayin'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:06 am 
Craig Bradley

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Crusader wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I’m beyond confident that Dow’s time will come. I thought he might’ve gotten a look in when Cerra missed, but Walsh pulled a Lazarus & the rest is history.

When, not if, he forces his way in, I would expect to see him take on the job that Setterfield is doing. I think he can withstand the physical and sacrificial stuff on the inside despite the difference in size - plus he’s more damaging as the first receiver.

Our game style is generating a good number of turnovers, but we’re not converting them into scoring chains. At best, we’re moving the ball from stoppage to stoppage - hence the congestion inside 50. Bringing Dow in doesn’t address that issue as well as Martin and Fogarty are able to. At least, not while they’re persisting with O’Brien & Fisher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:54 am 
Craig Bradley

Win today and we go 2nd... lose and we could drop to 7th

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:06 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:

Quote:
Dow's VFL form right?
Forget stats for a minute. Have you seen his games? You know, the 30 possession games?
Martin has already done more AFL level things than Dow.
Dow is knocking on the door. Martin has been selected at HFF.

You should be applauding Martin for earning the nod from the MC, that includes the Coach too, rather than suggesting they're wrong....just sayin'

@ Bondi - My concern is that there has been a history in the club of picking players whose form does not warrant it. I'm sure you would acknowledge that. I'm not saying that.s happening necessarily under Voss and Co, but I just don't want it to be resurrected.

And yes good on Martin for being selected - I hope he kills it for FOUR quarters :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:55 am 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:

I must be the only one, but I am an actually believer, this guy isn’t a forward. He is a genuine midfielder and probably can only play that position and we all know the issue with that currently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:24 am 
Wayne Johnston

SurreyBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I must be the only one, but I am an actually believer, this guy isn’t a forward. He is a genuine midfielder and probably can only play that position and we all know the issue with that currently.

Fogherty has been training and playing as a defensive forward, Dow has been training and playing as an inside mid, Martin has been training and playing as HFF. Dow is not competing with Martin and Figherty for a place in the seniors, he’s competing with Cripps, Hewett, Walsh and Cerra.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:24 am 
Bob Chitty

jezzarules wrote:
CK95 wrote:

His inclusion feels like Deja Vu All Over Again.

If it rains there will be Clearwater I believe.

Just on the "getting ahead of ourselves should I get "Carlton Premiers 2022" or "Carlton Premiers 2022 - " tattooed tomorrow?

Lastly, re the injury sub I'd be inclined to give Kemp the seat. He is the only one of those listed who can cover a tall who goes down, but can also play just about anywhere so ideal for the role. The team without Pittonet is shorter than normal, which is no bad thing IMO but I'd like the tall cover that Kemp brings and I thought his game against Box Hill was not at all bad, he presented well and it was a bit of a "nearly" game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:06 am 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I must be the only one, but I amdepth an actually believer, this guy isn’t a forward. He is a genuine midfielder and probably can only play that position and we all know the issue with that currently.

Fogherty has been training and playing as a defensive forward, Dow has been training and playing as an inside mid, Martin has been training and playing as HFF. Dow is not competing with Martin and Figherty for a place in the seniors, he’s competing with Cripps, Hewett, Walsh and Cerra.

:clap: It appears we are selecting for who plays a particular role this year, not who is the next best player available. I'm happy with the change in approach. Most good sides do this and have the depth to support it

Ronald Reagan

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next