Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
So who is the sub.

My pick is

Newnes but hopefully Dow and LOB goes down in the first 5 minutes. Nothing too serious, just enough to rule him out for the match.
Why would you say that

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:53 pm 
Laurie Kerr

missnaut wrote:
Wasn't it 2016?

We beat Port by 2 points in one of those wins at Marvel. It was Simmo's 250th I think?

You’re right! After going 0-4 we went on to win 6 out of the next 7.

Leading into the bye everyone was talking about what a coach we had found, and how incredible it was that we could rebuild so quickly.

We won one more game for the season, and only another 9 after that before Bolton was sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Voss ... Cripps
Black ... Walsh
Lappin ... Cerra
Akermanis ...
Power ...

Hewett, Kennedy, Dow...

The threepeat Lions midfield is one of the best I’ve ever seen and had five A Graders.

The comparisons above aren’t to say they’re exact equivalents but that over the course of their careers they may come close.

I love Hewett and Kennedy but we’re not in that league yet and Dow has the potential to be very good but he doesn’t seem to have realised.

Walsh last year started to do some freakish things but I’d love an Akermanis type freak to add to our midfield (without the mouth obviously).

One of the others may yet be as good as Power who had a great ride as fifth in line.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:18 pm 
Bob Chitty

carntheblues wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
ianh wrote:
ianh wrote:
Here is my view. First, don't risk Pittonet and MacDonald given back problems and an interstate plane trip. Setterfield, O'Brien and Fisher have been the least impressive of the small men over the journey, notwithstanding O'Brien has shown marked improvement, Setterfield has had his moments and Fisher is a bit of a favourite of mine. Newman a bit lucky not to risk the cut as well but don't want 5 changes to the team. Play Williams up on a wing and see how he goes. No problem with going smaller given the time and location of game and the weather forecast. I don't mind making a few changes given the team has not been running out games and the 2s have been better at that. Also, Vossy was at pains in the after match presser to talk about the need to have a squad mentality. So, out Pittonet (managed - play him in the 2s if fit enough, otherwise give him a week to get his back better - same with MacDonald) Fisher O'Brien and Setterfield. Boyd hasn't been as good as his abilities justify, I think he is a bit overawed at the moment but more game time in the 1s will either allow him to adjust to the tempo and show his speed, precision delivery, versatility and ability to play lockdown small defender better than anyone else on our list. I see him potentially as a Dennis Armfield with precision kicking and I was a huge Armfield fan. If he doesn't get up to speed after a decent run in the 1s back to the 2s and dominate in order to get anther chance when a spot opens up again.

So, IN Dow (solid good form in the 2s), Fogarty (solid form 1s and 2s), Saad (return from covid) and Motlop (too good for 2s, get in whilst his confidence is high. Also although a forward can press up higher thn Owies or Durdin neither of whom have his length of kick. OUT Pitonet (managed) Fisher O'Brien Setterfield (omitted)

Something like:

Boyd Young Plowman
Saad Weitering Docherty
Williams Cripps Walsh
Durdin C Curnow Motlop
McKay Silvagni Owies
De Konning Cerra Hewett (tagging Miller)
Dow Fogarty Kennedy Martin Emerg Newman Travelling 2nd emergency Kemp - can play pretty much any role so ideal for coverage.

We SHOULD smash these guys if our mindset is right.

With Durdin out and Motlop not available it saves O'Brien and Setterfield.

Now suggest:

Boyd Young Plowman

Saad Weitering Docherty

Williams Cripps Walsh

Fogarty C Curnow Martin

McKay Silvagni Owies

De Konning Cerra Hewett (tagging Miller)

Dow Kennedy O'Brien Setterfield Emerg Newman Travelling 2nd emergency Kemp - can play pretty much any role so ideal for coverage.

What struck me about the Voss after-match was his comment about needing a squad, seems to suggest rotating changes a bit more than traditional. Now of course that impacts the extent to which players get to work together (especially in their separate sections of the ground) to jell as a unit, but in part the response to that is you need to have the extra soldiers who may have to come in when a soldier is lost to have some experience with the rest of the group and the other point is that training is the opportunity albeit not under match pressure to jell in that way.

Don't know how two small forwards being unavailable saves 2 wingmen?
Also, kidding yourself if you think Newman won't be in the 22.

Pretty simple changes this week if you ask me.
In: Saad, Martin
Out: Boyd, Durdin

I agree

2 small forwards out saves 2 wingmen because:
1. I don't classify Motlop as purely a small forward he can push up into midfield ; and
2. I see O'Brien as purely a wingman if in the midfield - possibly a rebounder off half back if we were prepared to accept the lack of defensive capability - but setterfield can play inside or outside the contest, so not purely a wingman by any means.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
Voss ... Cripps
Black ... Walsh
Lappin ... Cerra
Akermanis ...
Power ...

Hewett, Kennedy, Dow...

The threepeat Lions midfield is one of the best I’ve ever seen and had five A Graders.

The comparisons above aren’t to say they’re exact equivalents but that over the course of their careers they may come close.

I love Hewett and Kennedy but we’re not in that league yet and Dow has the potential to be very good but he doesn’t seem to have realised.

Walsh last year started to do some freakish things but I’d love an Akermanis type freak to add to our midfield (without the mouth obviously).

One of the others may yet be as good as Power who had a great ride as fifth in line.

Akermanis can't do the manly stuff George Hewett does...plus the 15km+ running throughout the game. Both dual sided.

Kennedy in current form would squash Power too...and don't say I am bias. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Cornes says [tagging] is something teams should have in their arsenal, whether it's for a moment, a quarter, a half or an entire game.

It's why he's got an idea for Gold Coast ahead of facing Cripps' Carlton at Metricon Stadium on Sunday.

"It'd be a great job for Rowell to do," he said.

"If Rowell goes to him and sacrifices himself at stoppages, but as soon as the ball is there he can win it, which he will, that's a great contribution."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/736512/footy-s-under-used-weapon-and-why-a-no-1-pick-should-use-it

Hewett to Touk Miller, should stuff their midfields cohesion.

Quote:
Cornes said the role had a multi-layered effect.

Take the job Lachie Ash and Matt de Boer shared in bringing Miller to a stop.

Gold Coast's co-captain had racked up 29 or more disposals in 18 straight matches, burying opponents with his power running between contests.

But with two players doing the job of one, the Therabody AFL All-Australian was reduced to 17 touches as the Suns' midfield was overwhelmed.

Not only was it harder for Miller to play against, Cornes said, but the tag also made the game more difficult for young midfield stars Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson.
"It threw their whole system out," Cornes said.

"People think it's a negative role, where you don't touch the ball. I used to use it as a starting point. Lots of the best mids don’t have a defensive bone in their body. It's such a great opportunity to get the ball.

"As a team we used to use it as a motivating factor when teammates knew you were doing a job.

"If your opponent would run past someone, they'd get a little bump.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:42 am 
Ken Hunter

What an opportunity for us to be top 2 with a game clear by the end of this round or even better top of the ladder, if we win well.
Personally I feel these are the games and times that shows the groups desire for success. Opportunity presented - does this group want to grab it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
What an opportunity for us to be top 2 with a game clear by the end of this round or even better top of the ladder, if we win well.
Personally I feel these are the games and times that shows the groups desire for success. Opportunity presented - does this group want to grab it?

Well put surrey.

Its as simple as you said.

Opportunity presented. Show yourselves and everyone else how much you desire success.

If Blues lose this one ... the media are going to come down hard on Carlton, because its Carlton.

Win this one, sets us up for an amazing opportunity at home vs Port next weekend: 5-0, and another monkey off our back.

Come on Bluebaggers. :fight:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Voss ... Cripps
Black ... Walsh
Lappin ... Cerra
Akermanis ...
Power ...

Hewett, Kennedy, Dow...

Akermanis can't do the manly stuff George Hewett does...plus the 15km+ running throughout the game. Both dual sided.

Kennedy in current form would squash Power too...and don't say I am bias. :wink:
Haha. I think this is the embodiment of getting ahead of ourselves :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Just give us the 3peat...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pitto is out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Fog in, Kemp emergency.

At least we won't be too tall in the forward line

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

Disappointing that Pitto is out as he’s been an important part of a dominant on ball brigade, but part of me is excited to see TDK get a full game as first ruck. I think he needs a spark to really get his season going and this could be it.

Also excited to see us with a smaller more mobile forward setup. We looked too tall last week and the hawks really took advantage with their rebound game from defensive 50. I think having so many tall targets also drew us into the trap of just bombing it on their head rather than using movement to create space and hit up leading targets. Two key forwards in Harry and Charlie, two medium tall marking targets who are strong at ground level and good tacklers in JSOS and Martin, two small forwards in Fish and Owies with Fog for rotation.

Probably would have preferred to see Dow come into the side over Fog but whatevs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Pitto is out

Every week we are served with a surprise out at the last minute

Now we have a real challenge on our hands.

Pitto has been a central figure in our clearances this year.

De Koning can make a name for himself.

Gotta show some real heart and soul effort Bluebaggers.

Guess sub will still be one of Newnes or Dow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:

Probably would have preferred to see Dow come into the side over Fog but whatevs

Ditto

Fogarty has been playing midfield in the VFL, like Dow.
You'd think Dow would be rewarded for his better showings in the VFL over Fogarty.

I guess Voss sees Fogarty having a more physical game then Dow, and more likely to bring more heat in the contest.
Just guessing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hopefully TDK plays as well as his brother did last night

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Ditto

You'd think Dow would be rewarded for his better showings in the VFL over Fogarty.

I guess Voss sees Fogarty having a more physical game then Dow, and more likely to bring more heat in the contest.
Just guessing.

Fog will play fwd and JSOS moves into 2nd ruck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jezzarules wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Ditto

Just guessing.

Fog will play fwd and JSOS moves into 2nd ruck.
You'd think so....

Unless Fog is first ruck :lol:

Then again!

Are we expecting rain or slippery conditions? (didn't want to say Dewy!)

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Fogarty is a good tough little footballer . No problem with his inclusion . Hold the ball in . A defensive forward . One thing about Fogarty , he will do exactly what the coach tells him to do . A real team player .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next