Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Wojee wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
- The amount of times their players and the same Hawk players easily fended of our players was embarrassing, surely we train for this.

Noticed this as well and it invariably led to the Hawks whisking the ball away and generating an overlap, as though the Carlton players up the ground had relaxed a bit expecting the tackle to stick before being caught flat footed when it didn't.

Are the Hawks players exceptionally good at the fend off or are we just really poor at defending it?
I don't recall any other games so far this season where it was as obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:54 pm 
Garry Crane

i knew that if we went long bomb ,they would run it out hawks players are quicker and stronger than ours ( have we got gym at pp)against port they kicked 11 goals starting from backline . Voss outcoached

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We just didn't react to Hawks loading the backline to take away our advantage. Does Voss have a Plan B or are the players just dumb?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
- The amount of times their players and the same Hawk players easily fended of our players was embarrassing, surely we train for this.

Noticed this as well and it invariably led to the Hawks whisking the ball away and generating an overlap, as though the Carlton players up the ground had relaxed a bit expecting the tackle to stick before being caught flat footed when it didn't.

Are the Hawks players exceptionally good at the fend off or are we just really poor at defending it?

I am less worried about that, I mean the fender offerer has momentum in the act. I'm more worried about Fisher not putting his body on the line, LOB still failing at crucial moments, and the entire team losing their skills and composure once a team starts getting on top.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

There was one stage in the game where LOB got absolute dictionary definition ragdolled :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Good observation Sidefx.

It was so obvious, we all can question why it lookd easy for them to fend off.

Cyril would have grabbed the arm and dragged it in. My 14yo has been doing that for a few years now, but at this level its easier said than done.

I don't think they have trained for this TBH.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
There was one stage in the game where LOB got absolute dictionary definition ragdolled :grin:

Was that him or Boyd?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Good observation Sidefx.

It was so obvious, we all can question why it lookd easy for them to fend off.

Cyril would have grabbed the arm and dragged it in. My 14yo has been doing that for a few years now, but at this level its easier said than done.

I don't think they have trained for this TBH.

Let's hope at the least the midfielders are as well as fending themselves, if we are going to have a team based defence we need these skills nailed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
I woke up this morning feeling good that we won but more concerned by the way we won.
On one had we are showing really good resilience and defensive capabilities with belief that we can get the job done.
On the other had and in the words of Sam Mitchell we are playing an unsustainable brand of football, which we can see by the quarters we have won. 5/12
As I refuse to watch the game again I'm only going on memory, but these are the things that stood out to me:
- When we were on and scoring we were kicking the ball deep into the 50 (0-30m) from around the 50-65m zone.
- The Hawks noted this and loaded up that area so we couldn't hit a target and rather than having patience to chip around to find one, we just bombed it long for a shallow entry and it rebounded straight back out.
- Our small forwards were not at the feet of the talls for the rebound entires because most of the time they were still in the defence/middle which is good to stop the scoring, but it came at a cost of no scoring for us also.
- Our fending in return is only done by a couple, Cripps and Cerra. This is something we need to bring into our game.
- I also noticed that when they got the turnover they spread and opened up the ground with plenty of targets going forward.
- When we got the turnover the players forward of the ball looked like witches hats, I assume this was because they were all gassed.

In order to combat some of the above we really need to work on hitting targets, clean pick ups, smart spreading on turnover so we don't get too gassed, tackling when being fended off and fending off players.

There was a lot to learn in the sustainable way they played, if we could bring some of that to reduce the fatigue as well as periods of our burst play for 4 quarters...............#17.

The other promising part of yesterday was the 2's wining comfortably, it shows we have some good depth and pressure on the seniors.

There is a lot to work on but we also have a good foundation and the right head space amongst the players.

I have seen LOB try to fend off and get pinged for HTB! So maybe not all players should bring it to their game!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:47 pm 
Wayne Johnston

AFLCA Votes

9 Docherty
8 Jiath
5 Weitering
5 P Cripps
3 D Moore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Those votes seem broadly fair although I would have found some votes for JSOS. He was good the whole game (although perversely for his match saving goal I would have preferred he passed off to our free player in his own 20m out directly in front…. But all’s well that ends well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Some of the old problems hanging around with a dysfunctional forward line holding us back. 64 Inside 50's to 46 is a great effort. But scoring from only 30% of entries is not good enough. Even if the ball goes in along the ground, our forwards should back themselves in to score from close to 50% of entries.

The mids are performing well. Especially centre clearances (18-7). That's a smashing. Our inside 50 tackles are good again and our backs are holding up OK despite the disruption to personnel. But if we want to play 3 1/2 balls up forward, we need more from them to lock the ball in.

I don't understand the idea of Kennedy starting as the bench midfielder. Our first 5 minutes or so was average yesterday but when Kennedy comes on we win several consecutive centre clearances and his additional kicking penetration is far more valuable than our other mids out of the centre. He should be a starting centre square midfielder. His form definitely warrants it.

As Voss said, if you can learn as you go and still bank the 4 points in the process, it's a bloody good outcome. Plus another huge bonus is a highly competitive 2nds team. When was the last time we saw that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:02 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Blue Vain wrote:
Some of the old problems hanging around with a dysfunctional forward line holding us back. 64 Inside 50's to 46 is a great effort. But scoring from only 30% of entries is not good enough. Even if the ball goes in along the ground, our forwards should back themselves in to score from close to 50% of entries.

The mids are performing well. Especially centre clearances (18-7). That's a smashing. Our inside 50 tackles are good again and our backs are holding up OK despite the disruption to personnel. But if we want to play 3 1/2 balls up forward, we need more from them to lock the ball in.

I don't understand the idea of Kennedy starting as the bench midfielder. Our first 5 minutes or so was average yesterday but when Kennedy comes on we win several consecutive centre clearances and his additional kicking penetration is far more valuable than our other mids out of the centre. He should be a starting centre square midfielder. His form definitely warrants it.

As Voss said, if you can learn as you go and still bank the 4 points in the process, it's a bloody good outcome. Plus another huge bonus is a highly competitive 2nds team. When was the last time we saw that?

I would sincerely appreciate you elaborating on your observations from the game BV. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:24 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Poor decisions inside 50, Setterfield short kick, O’Brien not using the man inside 50 out wide, Fisher not having a shot and trying a pass to McKay, all simple decisions in the third quarter that would’ve made it a comfortable win.

Outside of that, our defence was great, our ball pressure great, the ball just bounced the Hawks way a lot, and they kicked goals they would kick 2-10 times, Mitchel and Morrison.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
We just didn't react to Hawks loading the backline to take away our advantage. Does Voss have a Plan B or are the players just dumb?

Probably no plan B in round 3. Maybe give him time?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:48 pm 
Craig Bradley

DesEnglish wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Probably no plan B in round 3. Maybe give him time?

Not like Vossy can quarterback every foray. The boys lost their composure for the best part of three quarters. They’re the ones that need to deal with that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:10 am 
Harry Vallence

jake_h03 wrote:
fjanyc wrote:
Not sure what to think. We lost our heads. Lewis Young was terrific on debut. Silvagni and Hewett were the only ones who played in the 2nd half. Boyd was not up to it.

Agree. Boyd reminded me of a Carlton player of the 2015-2019 era. Jason Tutt kind of vibe. First game so not going to write him off yet but he’ll need to keep developing in the 2s. We’re infinitely better with Saad in the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been a small forward for about 90% of his football career, only just started playing down back since he got picked at Footscray VFL. Obviously still a way off the level, but says a bit that he's gone past guys like Williamson (probably says more about Williamson tbh)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

Hawthorn have conceded more inside 50s in every game this year, even against North round 1.

v PA 58 (21 shots for 36% scoring eff) 46 (25 shots for 54% eff)

v CA 64 (19 shots for 30% eff) 46 (18 shots for 46%)

We did well to not allow them as many shots and how many of their inside 50s/goals were out the back after slicing us up through the middle? At least 3 iirc. These were usually on the back of a shallow entry by us that got immediately repelled

They're obviously set up well and are prepared to conceded clearances and absorb the opposition territory because they've got weapons going the other way. Feel like this probably should've been addressed during the week, felt like we had no answer to Jiath and co waltzing the ball out once our deep entries after quarter time dried up.

Hate to admit it but Sam Mitchell has them pretty well coached for a team I thought would be bottom 2 or 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

Very inefficient going forward after quarter time

Clean up entries ie as BV said scoring from 30 percent of entries would have won easily

Not sure that Hawthorn style of rebound from backline and conceding centre breaks is sustainable over the season

Melbourne Brisbane Geelong being 40 points up half way through second quarter would have won by 80
We aren’t there yet but need to start getting ruthless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

frank dardew wrote:
Very inefficient going forward after quarter time

Clean up entries ie as BV said scoring from 30 percent of entries would have won easily

Not sure that Hawthorn style of rebound from backline and conceding centre breaks is sustainable over the season

Melbourne Brisbane Geelong being 40 points up half way through second quarter would have won by 80
We aren’t there yet but need to start getting ruthless

That’s it Frank. The style the Hawks played after quarter time won’t last half an hour against sides that have been winning for a while now. Ice the tempo, pick off the short passes around the edge of the centre square and force them to come out to 70-80m. Options aplenty from there.

Our blokes just bottled it. Tried to run through it or kick over it from wide out on the wings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next