Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:15 am 
Bruce Doull

Our midfield looks like a combination of our coach & our footy director...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
Finally gets to see Charlie and H dominate a game. Great to see.

Haven’t seen us have a forward line combo like that since Kernahan and Pearce.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:02 am 
John James

We'll get the Trifecta-

Premiership
Brownlow (Cripps)
Coleman (McKay)

Might put a bet on!

So excited for the season ahead.

GO BLUES

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
malbi wrote:
RickJ wrote:
Liam Jones will prove to be a big loss, what a goose.

Rubbish. Why should he be forced to put something into his body just because you think so? The vaccine does nothing anyway. You can still catch the virus and transmit it. I give Liam credit for sticking to what he believes.

x1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:garthp:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:01 pm 
Robert Walls

Last week we played two very good quarters (two and four), and did enough not to get killed in the other two.

This week we played two very good quarters (one and two) and did enough not to get killed in the other two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:44 pm 
Bob Chitty

david31 wrote:
Very pleased with the win and start to the season. Didn’t think we’d knock off the Tigers and Dogs in the first two rounds.

Midfield is one of the key differences to last year. Cripps playing like it’s 2018. Hewett was great last night - tough and composed. Kennedy has stepped up. Walsh back in the mix last night and solid first up. Cerra to return. We’ve gone from a shallow midfield to a quality midfield.

Other key difference is the pressure. Brought it for 4 quarters. Put the dogs under significant heat, even when the skill errors were piling up in the last quarter.

Finally gets to see Charlie and H dominate a game. Great to see.

according to old mate, our midfield is only rated as the 14th best in the comp ...

i didnt think it was as good as it (Hewitt and Cerra have been an incredible upgrade to our midfield) but i certainly didnt think it was that bad (as low as 14th)

forget that it was a practise match, no one who is serious about it likes to lose. thats the dees. tigers and bulldogs that we have monstered in the midfield ... all you would traditionally rate as better than carltons.

to that extent, Pittonet needs some plaudits as well, he has grown into a quality ruckmen that gets around the ground.

Fit Cripps, Improvement in kennedy, Inclusion of Cerra and Hewitt, Pittonet giving them first touch ... if we havent added 50+ possesions per game and 2 to 3 goals, id be amazed. we would have to be in the best 4 midfields in the comp (on current form, still think Melbourne is the best. Gawn, Petrucca and Oliver)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:58 pm 
Garry Crane

great to win ,BUT like i said last weak our kick in from fullback needs to be look at .Over the years it cost us many goals and last night could of cost us the game. So i would sit the whole group down and watch the last Q. Wbd had 1 kick in and in seconds it landed into the fwd line ,we had 5 attempts and just turn it over like previous years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Accuracy, ball movement and ability to tough it out in the 2nd half when the opposition got on top.
Really like how we've always got a player behind the stoppages to feed the ball back to.
Cripps and Pittonet were excellent. Hewett not far behind. Kennedy also very good.
Delighted to see both Harry and Charlie. Can't have played all that often together. Thought Owies was very good as well.
Fantastic 1st half from De Koning. Best game I reckon he's played at this level.
Setterfield was good again, and O'Brien much better.
Thought Williams' disposal was outstanding.

Cons:

Out tackled.
McDonald was sloppy with the ball.
Weiters spoilt well, but we still haven't seen the best of him yet this year.

Some very good points but being out tackled isn't necessarily an issue IMHO. We had about 70 more possessions and pumped them in the contested possessions (38 more). We were winning it in close and they were second to it.
Most pleasing was we again were more dominant with inside 50 tackles which is a key. (9-5) after pumping the Tigers in that area last week as well. So we're getting the ball in our front half and keeping it there.

The games have demonstrated our list strength. Against an average midfield, our mids scored plenty of goals and against a poor defence, our tall forwards kicked the majority. It shows we have real dominance in a couple of areas which isn't overly common in the AFL.
I loved Kennedys game again. Fogarty worked bloody hard and was equal leading goal assist player but he was outmarked 4? times in one on one contests which is costly.
So if there's no injuries or suspensions, I'd bring Cerra in for Fogarty, retain Plowman over the traffic controller (Newman) and make Martin the sub. If we cant get McDonald to handball it off to someone who can kick, I'd consider swapping him for Young.
Sort out the kick ins. (McGovern should be taking them)

Lastly, I love the fact that Crippa is playing with a bit of nasty. He is sticking up for his team when there's something untoward and he doesn't mind handing out a few bumps/knocks around the ground. He got a bit aggressive with Dustin Martin last week after he cleaned up a couple of our players. You can tell from the way Martin's's carried on the past couple of seasons that he doesn't respect us so its good to see the captain fire up against him a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think all our tackling had increased in intensity - its like we've become a team that seeks the body on body stuff. Hard, enthusiastic football!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
Kudos to O’Brien for 25 possessions. A lot to build on from there.

Regards Cazzesman

Agree , his best game for the club !! Showed a lot Grit ...

Side note : why is he , crippa and Saad trying to kick on their opposite,,, hmmmm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Absolutely ecstatic to be 2-0. Never in a million years did I think we’d win our first two games. Especially considering the opposition.

The 4.20 bounce down sucks balls for us in WA with work and kids sports. Watched about 15 mins of the first qtr, listened to the second on the radio in the car and watched the second half on my phone. So need to watch the replay properly.

So very happy to get the wins while still knowing there is plenty to improve. Thought we’d blown it and tbh was petrified when we couldn’t get the ball out of our D50 for THAT period in the last qtr. To hold on especially considering the quality of the opposition will hopefully do wonders for our group. We all know that previously we lose that game.

We simply have to continue on and consolidate this great start. Don’t make this another false dawn but the true return of the sleeping giant.

All the positive press and plaudits we are getting will take some getting used to that’s for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
Not convinced.
We still haven’t beaten anyone above us on the ladder…

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

windy wrote:
We'll get the Trifecta-

Premiership
Brownlow (Cripps)
Coleman (McKay)

Might put a bet on!

GO BLUES
Missing Walsh for Norm Smith

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

Happy Friday everyone.
I just watched the replay, which was more enjoyable knowing the result.
To be 2-0 is something we only dreamed of.
So proud of this group and there is now genuine hope for a bright future.
Cripps is a freak and so happy for Charlie.
How good is Thursday night footy when your team wins.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

windy wrote:
We'll get the Trifecta-

Premiership
Brownlow (Cripps)
Coleman (McKay)

Might put a bet on!

GO BLUES

Before Walsh's injury Cripps was $41 for the Brownlow.
I got Cripps at $21
Now Cripps is Brownlow Favourite at $6

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Is that corral then tackle on filthy ginger Richards the play that will make #4 believe he belongs? Clearly his best single 'play' for our club.

Then he went and undid it all by kicking the ball out on the full

He had company in that department though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

Good game, great win.

I think we could see Walsh was still a little under done and it will be good to see him back to form with a few games and Cerra in the rotation.

The transition into the F50 was a lot better this game, even though we did lapse a little in the second half with F50 defensive pressure.

A couple of the boys had some shocker patches but good to see others step up when needed as a team first approach.

The only disappointing part for me was the loss of that first half drive in the second, something we need to work on if we want to win finals.

Overall we look like a totally different team, it's quite remarkable.

Can't wait to see if we can get it all together for 4 quarters and totally demolish the Hawks next week, it's been a long time coming.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Gee that first half! De Koning dominant in the ruck. Cripps bursting out of the centre. Kennedy, Hewett racking up possessions. Great first up game from Walsh, Charlie and Harry up forward...

It feels good to be a Carlton supporter again. There will be bad days of course but after all the years of heartbreak the future looks bright.

I also was very impressed with Hansen at the post game presser, a quality pick up as an assistant coach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
Most pleasing was we again were more dominant with inside 50 tackles which is a key. (9-5) after pumping the Tigers in that area last week as well. So we're getting the ball in our front half and keeping it there.

Good stat. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

I was just pleased to see Charlie can still nonchalantly snap them off one step from 45m but if he's 30m out on a sharp angle he kicks a conventional drop punt. He's so retro!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next