Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I know we chased Jack Graham a couple of years ago and I thought he was one of our best Thursday night. Plenty of score involvements.

:lol: :clap:

we have moved on since the days we were desperately trying to attract middle of the road players.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

I would definitely have Bennett over BT, Richo, Lingy, Huddo, Brayshaw, Hamish, Dwayne et al.

The reduction in blokey ‘entertainment’ crap, combined with some insightful and balanced comments by Jobe, meant the commentary on Thursday actually added to the presentation - rather than ruin the coverage like it usually does (I’ve been watching footy with the sound on mute for about 10 years).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
I just watched the replay. A few random observations-

* Jobe is not a bad commentator. I feel dirty saying that.
* Although we won the centre square battle, it’s important we don’t become predictable or rely on too few. Winning the clearance and getting it quickly into Harry et al while 6 v 6 is going to be crucial to our success this year. Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt & Kennedy (+ ruckman) were the only players who went into the centre square vs Richmond. I would like to see one or two others rotate through there, eg. Setterfield, Fisher, Martin or Williams.
* Charlie, OMac & LOB stood out as our ‘weakest links’. Having said that, OMac & LOB were serviceable enough to hold their spot for another week, and I expect Charlie will get the benefit of the doubt early in the season.
* Owies, Fisher, Martin, Setterfield, Newman & Harry had good moments but need to do more. Newman is just keeping Stocker’s spot warm IMO. I expect Motlop to come in for Martin this week. If Motlop does OK, then it might be Owies who makes way when Martin comes back. I don’t mind Owies, but I’m not sure he has enough tricks and he must nail his chances when they come - he kicks too many points.
* Once Cripps’s disposal settled down, he was clearly BOG. McGovern & Kennedy were very influential too. I knew Cerra had a very good last quarter, but his overall game looked better on TV than it did to me live at the ground on the night.
* Saad had a so-so first half, but some of his efforts in the second half were inspirational.
* The Pittonet/TDK ruck combination worked well.
* Fingers crossed Weitering, Cripps, McGovern & SOJ pulled up OK.

When Walsh parachutes into the centre bounce rotations, there will be a dozen or so different looks to go with. Variety is good, but you can dilute the effectiveness of the best options trying to force too much of it.

The remedial/development nature of our forward line is our biggest concern. Maybe it was a consequence of the wind, but we had four bigs down there with nothing on a lead up to centre wing. Even as a dummy lead, that created space is the cornerstone for efficient scoring. Supporters blow up over forward 50 entries, but if our bigs can’t get out of each other’s pockets, the help defence will spit it back out without breaking a sweat.

Most of our forward entries came after a chain of handballs which maintained possession and the kick inside 50 were just outside the 50. Really difficult to time a lead imo.

I was sitting just outside the 50 line, and I couldn't see how or where the leads could take place from Harry and Charlie. It looked like a deliberate ploy to have Charlie and Harry in the square, side by side, along with Durdin. I think chaos is what Voss encourages.

I don't think we are disorganised, but it's the way it all panned out. A lot of missed shots and 6 posters, with 3 posters from KPFs Charlie TDK and SOS. So a lot to like. It's just different.

Congestion, chaos, collisions, contest and away we go with the connection seems to be the game plan from what I saw.

It will be difficult for opposition coaches to plan against this sort of chaos.

There will be days our coach may surprise by opening up the forward line for KPFs to lead into.

Charlie isn't 100%...maybe same with Harry. If so, that's a good sign they will get better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
I would definitely have Bennett over BT, Richo, Lingy, Huddo, Brayshaw, Hamish, Dwayne et al.

The reduction in blokey ‘entertainment’ crap, combined with some insightful and balanced comments by Jobe, meant the commentary on Thursday actually added to the presentation - rather than ruin the coverage like it usually does (I’ve been watching footy with the sound on mute for about 10 years).

Well put ABNS.

Blokey is right...yobbo, red neck, blokes who love the sound of their own voice and really think they are entertainers...they are so yesteryear...probably the same as the Executives who select them: Blokes club and boring at that too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree with most of what you said but wanted to highlight this bit.

I'm with you on that. I think he is very good too.
Just didn't have the guts to admit to it publicly till someone else did!

:lol:

We’re comparing against a low standard, but - with the exception of Darcy - the commentary team on Thursday was better than the average.

This.

Can't stand Darby...full of himself...makes up too much shit to be a commentator...would never be an insightful special comments or analytical commentator...he is just anal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

aboynamedsue wrote:

Yes, and I noticed a couple of times they even managed to shut up for a bit and let the action do the talking - from the Richie Benaud school of commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hardwick must have been pretty unhappy with his team.

Coaches votes:

Round 1 votes:

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
6 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 - George Hewett (CARL)
1 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
1 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
Hardwick must have been pretty unhappy with his team.

Coaches votes:

Round 1 votes:

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
6 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 - George Hewett (CARL)
1 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
1 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)

Guess we won it in the midfield then?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree with most of what you said but wanted to highlight this bit.

I'm with you on that. I think he is very good too.
Just didn't have the guts to admit to it publicly till someone else did!

:lol:

We’re comparing against a low standard, but - with the exception of Darcy - the commentary team on Thursday was better than the average.

Yeah , and the surprise packet for me is Nathan Jones .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8