Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

I just watched the replay again.
Those 7 minutes in the final quarter were amazing.
I am glad the noise of the crowd came through on the broadcast.
It was one of those I am glad I was there games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

Same here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Same here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:57 pm 
formerly King Kenny

keogh wrote:
It’s round one
Really good win
The difference from last year
Midfield depth
Kennedy was our second best mid the second half of last year
He has taken his game to another level
Hewitt and Cerra obviously gives us depth
Cerra surprised me with his inside work
Durdin looks really good. We have another small forward to add to the list

Defence is a concern for me
We smashed them at stoppages and forward 50 entries
The defence will be put under a heap of pressure at some stage
Williams and Saad don’t defend very well
Newman is just ok
Small forward opposition were a concern for us last year

And Richmond might not be much chop in 2022
Let’s wait till mid June before we can really get excited

Bolton is the only one who got a hold of us, and he is genuine quality.

Dusty did nothing on the flip side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:58 pm 
formerly King Kenny

No Plowman is a huge benefit to us. He is a clubman, tries his arse off, but not in our finals team when we make them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 am 
Ken Hands

Caroline Wilson on Offsiders asked about the significance of the Doc goal moment and most of her response was that it shouldn't have happened as the 50 against 'Shane Edwards' was over-officiated.

The 50 was against Lynch for running through the protected zone (and it was most definitely there). FFS how do journalists, who do this for a job, get it so wrong so often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

BlueLife wrote:
Caroline Wilson on Offsiders asked about the significance of the Doc goal moment and most of her response was that it shouldn't have happened as the 50 against 'Shane Edwards' was over-officiated..

Her Anti Carlton bias and hatred is clear for all to see.

She would have gone all gaga over Jarryd Roughead’s comeback from cancer but for Docherty it’s crickets.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:13 am 
Ken Hunter

BlueLife wrote:
Caroline Wilson on Offsiders asked about the significance of the Doc goal moment and most of her response was that it shouldn't have happened as the 50 against 'Shane Edwards' was over-officiated.

The 50 was against Lynch for running through the protected zone (and it was most definitely there). FFS how do journalists, who do this for a job, get it so wrong so often.

She is an idiot.
One of the commentators could be heard saying it was a player running through the protected area.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:53 am 
Geoff Southby

I just watched the replay. A few random observations-

* Jobe is not a bad commentator. I feel dirty saying that.
* Although we won the centre square battle, it’s important we don’t become predictable or rely on too few. Winning the clearance and getting it quickly into Harry et al while 6 v 6 is going to be crucial to our success this year. Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt & Kennedy (+ ruckman) were the only players who went into the centre square vs Richmond. I would like to see one or two others rotate through there, eg. Setterfield, Fisher, Martin or Williams.
* Charlie, OMac & LOB stood out as our ‘weakest links’. Having said that, OMac & LOB were serviceable enough to hold their spot for another week, and I expect Charlie will get the benefit of the doubt early in the season.
* Owies, Fisher, Martin, Setterfield, Newman & Harry had good moments but need to do more. Newman is just keeping Stocker’s spot warm IMO. I expect Motlop to come in for Martin this week. If Motlop does OK, then it might be Owies who makes way when Martin comes back. I don’t mind Owies, but I’m not sure he has enough tricks and he must nail his chances when they come - he kicks too many points.
* Once Cripps’s disposal settled down, he was clearly BOG. McGovern & Kennedy were very influential too. I knew Cerra had a very good last quarter, but his overall game looked better on TV than it did to me live at the ground on the night.
* Saad had a so-so first half, but some of his efforts in the second half were inspirational.
* The Pittonet/TDK ruck combination worked well.
* Fingers crossed Weitering, Cripps, McGovern & SOJ pulled up OK.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

79Vintage wrote:
When the team wins in the fashion of last night, it's a team win. Some players played better than others, that's just to be expected but across the board everyone played with committment and was a member of the team. Here, not going to question even one of our players, all contributed well and not going to condemn anyone who wore the jumper. This is a new era under Voss and as supporters we need to give all our players a clean slate. Let's just enjoy the win.

Couldn't agree more . No analys'n , no think'n . Just bathe in the glory of the win and the best start to a season in a long time . only comment i will make is we have a coach who is " A man on a mission " . Has that Barassi " Aura " .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/10828 ... djF2ipypzw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
BlueLife wrote:

She is an idiot.
One of the commentators could be heard saying it was a player running through the protected area.
I don't mind /care about Caroline Wilson.... but her comments as well as rush to kill the moment Doc's goal was mentioned only made her look mean spirited... to the panel and everyone watching...

READ THE ROOM FFS

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

It's all feeling different for me.

It all started with our new president. You can tell the man cares, he is focussed and uncompromising yet refreshingly sincere. At times he spoke like an enthusiastic supporter. I liked that. Then there was the subsequent appointment of a very accomplished CEO and the trade period felt different too, everything was so quiet and there weren't any leaks.

Fast forward to the matches and its still feeling different for me. I don't know a a lot about the tactical side of the game and I don't often get to see them live but I did notice a few things different than they have been in the past. When the momentum swung Richmond's way they kicked 3 unanswered goals instead of 6. We didn't have lapses in our pressure acts and go missing for entire quarters. Richmond found it more difficult to score from our turnovers instead of them taking the piss and it looking like a training drill, and we had less turnovers.

Something about this reset is just sending me vibes that the place is united and its got the boys focused. I think we are going to see a team that does not stop being hungry for the contest week in week out. How far that takes us I'm not sure but I will be satisfied if we get a solid effort every week.

And yes I did lose my shit Thursday night, I shed tears of joy. :grin:

Go Blues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I know we chased Jack Graham a couple of years ago and I thought he was one of our best Thursday night. Plenty of score involvements.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:46 am 
Wayne Johnston

TheBluesMuse wrote:
It's all feeling different for me.

It all started with our new president. You can tell the man cares, he is focussed and uncompromising yet refreshingly sincere. At times he spoke like an enthusiastic supporter. I liked that. Then there was the subsequent appointment of a very accomplished CEO and the trade period felt different too, everything was so quiet and there weren't any leaks.

Fast forward to the matches and its still feeling different for me. I don't know a a lot about the tactical side of the game and I don't often get to see them live but I did notice a few things different than they have been in the past. When the momentum swung Richmond's way they kicked 3 unanswered goals instead of 6. We didn't have lapses in our pressure acts and go missing for entire quarters. Richmond found it more difficult to score from our turnovers instead of them taking the piss and it looking like a training drill, and we had less turnovers.

Something about this reset is just sending me vibes that the place is united and its got the boys focused. I think we are going to see a team that does not stop being hungry for the contest week in week out. How far that takes us I'm not sure but I will be satisfied if we get a solid effort every week.

And yes I did lose my shit Thursday night, I shed tears of joy. :grin:

Go Blues.

Also witness the way the VFL team won, I watched the replay of the goals and in all cases there were constant pressure acts and there were always overlap runners nearby to keep the ball moving forward. In the past there would be one or two and then we would cough it up, not anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:

* Although we won the centre square battle, it’s important we don’t become predictable or rely on too few. Winning the clearance and getting it quickly into Harry et al while 6 v 6 is going to be crucial to our success this year. Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt & Kennedy (+ ruckman) were the only players who went into the centre square vs Richmond. I would like to see one or two others rotate through there, eg. Setterfield, Fisher, Martin or Williams.
* Charlie, OMac & LOB stood out as our ‘weakest links’. Having said that, OMac & LOB were serviceable enough to hold their spot for another week, and I expect Charlie will get the benefit of the doubt early in the season.
* Owies, Fisher, Martin, Setterfield, Newman & Harry had good moments but need to do more. Newman is just keeping Stocker’s spot warm IMO. I expect Motlop to come in for Martin this week. If Motlop does OK, then it might be Owies who makes way when Martin comes back. I don’t mind Owies, but I’m not sure he has enough tricks and he must nail his chances when they come - he kicks too many points.
* Once Cripps’s disposal settled down, he was clearly BOG. McGovern & Kennedy were very influential too. I knew Cerra had a very good last quarter, but his overall game looked better on TV than it did to me live at the ground on the night.
* Saad had a so-so first half, but some of his efforts in the second half were inspirational.
* The Pittonet/TDK ruck combination worked well.
* Fingers crossed Weitering, Cripps, McGovern & SOJ pulled up OK.

When Walsh parachutes into the centre bounce rotations, there will be a dozen or so different looks to go with. Variety is good, but you can dilute the effectiveness of the best options trying to force too much of it.

The remedial/development nature of our forward line is our biggest concern. Maybe it was a consequence of the wind, but we had four bigs down there with nothing on a lead up to centre wing. Even as a dummy lead, that created space is the cornerstone for efficient scoring. Supporters blow up over forward 50 entries, but if our bigs can’t get out of each other’s pockets, the help defence will spit it back out without breaking a sweat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:02 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree with most of what you said but wanted to highlight this bit.

I'm with you on that. I think he is very good too.
Just didn't have the guts to admit to it publicly till someone else did!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:15 am 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree with most of what you said but wanted to highlight this bit.

I'm with you on that. I think he is very good too.
Just didn't have the guts to admit to it publicly till someone else did!

:lol:

We’re comparing against a low standard, but - with the exception of Darcy - the commentary team on Thursday was better than the average.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jason Bennett is fantastic. Him and Papalia are 2 that just call the game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jason Bennett is a massive Carlton man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next